Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
But it's totally different because Captain America had Jewish creators!!! I dunno who came up with Superman but they were probably white guys who supported the Nazis anyway. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Roth posted:

To be fair, alternate universe Superman is a fascist dictator is practically a universal constant among DC AUs.

I honestly really like Elseworld interpretations of Superman that show how his humanity is 100% a byproduct of his upbringing (by juxtaposing how he acts when he's brought up in a more totalitarian way like Red Son), because it illustrates how Superman's this beatific ideal not because of Krypton or the yellow sun or his abilities, but because two genuinely good people raised him right.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Yeah, I also liked how Red Son (from what I remember at least), also showed him to ultimately be a good person with some misguided views.

Much better than what Injustice did with the concept.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Toxxupation posted:

I honestly really like Elseworld interpretations of Superman that show how his humanity is 100% a byproduct of his upbringing (by juxtaposing how he acts when he's brought up in a more totalitarian way like Red Son), because it illustrates how Superman's this beatific ideal not because of Krypton or the yellow sun or his abilities, but because two genuinely good people raised him right.

I dunno, it kind of gives the vibe that people are only good if they have good parents. I mean yeah obviously one's background shapes the person they grow up to be, but "Superman is always evil or whatever when not raised by the perfect white American mother and father" is weird text.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Mastermen was all about his inherent goodness and humanity struggling with his role in that universe, though.
I can't remember if Red Son had anything similar.

WickedHate posted:

"Superman is always evil or whatever when not raised by the perfect white American mother and father"

He wasn't just raised by Ma & Pa Germany. The first person he met was Hitler, who immediately got his men to fire automatic weapons at his baby rear end to test his invulnerability.

That wasn't the best issue of Multiversity, but it did open Hitler struggling to take a dump.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 14, 2016

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Roth posted:

Yeah, I also liked how Red Son (from what I remember at least), also showed him to ultimately be a good person with some misguided views.

Red Son actually taught that foreigners are the ultimate evil.

Also democracy, Communism, suck while Absolute Monarchy rules.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'd have to reread it to either agree or disagree with you first.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The thing that surprised me about that Multiversity issue is that nobody made a peep about Uncle Sam being a terrorist. He was fighting the Nazis, but it shouldn't be hard to see the parallels.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

WickedHate posted:

"Superman is always evil or whatever when not raised by the perfect white American mother and father" is weird text.
That's because you took it to a weird place. The racial part doesn't play into it. Note the Supermen of Earths-2, 23, 16, and D (the latter a one-shot from the old Legends of the DCU series).

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Roth posted:

I'd have to reread it to either agree or disagree with you first.

It beats you over the head with the idea that Superman can't rule because he can't relate. The twist ending kind of undermines that but Red Son is not well written so eh.

Also America literally collapses and is then fixed and even made better when Luthor assumes sole command.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well. Detective Comics sure threw me for a loop there. I was really disappointed halfway through and then the end came out of nowhere and made it all better.

So Oz is almost surely Ozymandias right? I was starting to think the name was an intentional mislead but now I'm back to thinking it's actually him.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Det was a 10.

Superwoman was fantastic. The only really cringy bit of dialogue was Steel saying 'mansplaining,' but Jiminez is writing such a packed, quick, exciting comic. I love Lana and Steel. It's what I've wanted since Pak's Action made them an item, and her a great character. Booya.
The new Bumblebee should be a fun addition, and Lois is obviously residing in the Bizarro that ate her.
e: and I was just thinking of Sholly Fisch and the early N52 Action Comics backups the other day, so seeing Kryptonite Man and Atomic Skull being brought back really warmed my heart.

I think All-Star Bats used more villains in this one issue than Snyder had in his whole run on 'Batman.' He's obviously having a bunch of fun with them.

The first pages of Shelvey's backup are incredible.

Doom Patrol was a ball. Everyone try it. I like how Way shouted out Shelly Bond as much as possible in his piece at the end.

This week is already the best, and there's so many more comics I'm pumped to read.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Sep 14, 2016

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
All I have to say about Detective Comics is ":buddy: whew"

I think this issue of Wonder Woman is the first time I really enjoyed any of Rucka's interpretations of Cheetah...though, notably, she wasn't the Cheetah here yet, but just Barbara Ann. Loved her backstory and introduction here. Rest of the issue was delightful as well, and Rucka does the thing I like where Diana didn't actually have godlike powers at birth, but was granted them as a result of being the Amazons' champion. Not to knock Perez obviously (and lol at his cameo here), but Diana winning the contest to become Wonder Woman when she'd already been blessed with superpowers always seemed a bit like cheating. Rucka clearly agrees (as did Renae de Liz)

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
RHATO was wonderful. From the opening explaining her origin to her actions being the ones setting in motion the plot, Artemis is no doubt, the focus of this issue. Jason takes a secondary role but even then he has the chance to pull some pretty impressive feats during his fight against Artemis. Jason also continues to show the character development he earned through the past series, being able to put his pride aside in the benefit of his mission. Something the allows him to create a bond with Artemis during the fight.

Their dynamic is pretty amusing although given Artemis is a lot older than Jason, it feels at times like the roles are reversed compared to the dynamic between Jason and Roy (or similar to Jason and Bruce's). With Jason being the hot head and Artemis being the stoic, nonsense character. With this is mind, I can totally see the dark trinity working more like a family of sorts with Jason and Artemis serving as surrogate parents for Bizarro. And the simple idea brings a huge smile to my face.

I mean, just look at them!

Aren't they adorable together? :allears:

Sionis continues to be the opposite of Bruce, showering Jason with praise and trust. Is actually pretty unnerving since you just know Sionis will drop the facade as soon Jason stops being of use to him. Or who knows, Lobdell could throw us a curveball. Isn't like he hasn't give us plenty of surprises already.

There are no complaints about the art or the coloring, Soy and Gandini keep killing it with beautiful double spreads and panels filled with action. I particularly loved the way Soy draws Artemis, always standing tall and commanding respect. Just like Soy and Gandini, Lobdell continues to deliver the best work of his career in this series. The issue is just a delight to read, Lobdell simply gets these characters.

At this point I'm a broken record but I hope those three continue to work in the series for years, by far THE definitive creative team for Jason and they're going off a great start to be the same for Artemis and maybe even Bizarro.

And speaking of Bizarro, I love the way he's introduced in the series

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Behold, the only instance in the last like five years DC ever successfully pulled off an "Aquaman sucks" joke.

New Super-Man is quickly becoming a must-pull. I was very split on it early on but I enjoy that they've softened Kenan from "Worst dude ever" to "Good guy but a prick". The latest issue was great.

If it weren't for that final page reveal I woulda dropped Superwoman this issue. It's very much an overwritten mess, relies too heavily on narration boxes to impart ideas or themes, the dialog was often cringeworthy, and it's already falling on the "Action Comics" side of the Super-Books spectrum where the story is obsessed with its own crazy convoluted canon to the point that nothing really matters. I dunno if the Steel/Lana Lang pairup is a new thing but I didn't really believe their romance for a second (so it made all the narration boxes of "I'm so in love with Steel!" come off even faker), and most damningly this went from a first issue that I felt was a complete failure except in how it nailed Lana's character to an issue that felt like it didn't have a handle on Lana's character at all.

But god drat it that final page reveal is so utterly loving nuts I'm probably gonna keep reading Superwoman. But, yeah, this comic is such a mess.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

autism autism autism autism Autism Autism Autism AUTISM AUTISM AUTISM AUTISM

AUTISTIC AS gently caress

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I don't like D_T's posts generally and even I think that's a loving dick move Rhyno.

ed: well, that was quick

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I honestly really like the current aquaman series and hope the movie takes notes from it.

It's a good mix of Aquaman being involved in political intrigue trying to toe a line between two nations on the brink of war, his action and power level is very Golden Age Superman. The character is dealing with a lot of poo poo from the Americans and from his own people and trying to live up to impossible ideals he knows he's failed at in the past and is very sympathetic.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Only partway through my stack, but DC has already made this a fun Wednesday.

-Deathstroke's spy/espionage angle works really well for me. Priest gives Slade and his (former?) allies a lot more dimension than the usual "look out, the book's biggest badass has arrived."
-Red Hood... built on its first issue really well. Between Jason as "not Batman" and Artemis as "not Wonder Woman," this gels with me a lot better than Justice League 3000/3001 did.
-Green Lanterns - loved how the book literally lightened up now that the first arc is out of the way. Planted a couple of interesting seeds (literal and figurative), but just seeing Simon and Jessica interact without having to shoot laserbeams makes me happy (lots of personal bias on this one).
-Doom Patrol - holy poo poo what a debut! If you haven't pulled this yet, stop rubbing your chin over it and just dive in. You will be rewarded with part one of a strange adventure that excels at gear shifts.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Aww man. I thought we were seeing the start of Natasha Irons as Bumblebee in Superwoman, but Insect Queen Lana was an actual crazy old thing.

Maybe it could still get redirected, cause there's no reason for Lana to have an insect power suit, but Natasha could use a change from just being Girl Steel.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 14, 2016

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Roth posted:

Yeah the Supes in Red Son was clearly out of touch but was motivated in a positive way, he just did not have the same ethical norms that the standard Supes does. (And the series was too short to explore whether some of those things were parochial American prejudices vs. fundamental ethical principles. Plus, you know, Superman comic book.)

I think the big reason for the contrast in AU Supes Nazi and the Captain Hydra thing is the mixture of "it's not an AU Cap" and "Cap is defined by fighting Hitler in a way Superman is not." I guess there's also a question of agency but that gets sort of high concept.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Toxxupation posted:

Behold, the only instance in the last like five years DC ever successfully pulled off an "Aquaman sucks" joke.

New Super-Man is quickly becoming a must-pull. I was very split on it early on but I enjoy that they've softened Kenan from "Worst dude ever" to "Good guy but a prick". The latest issue was great.

If it weren't for that final page reveal I woulda dropped Superwoman this issue. It's very much an overwritten mess, relies too heavily on narration boxes to impart ideas or themes, the dialog was often cringeworthy, and it's already falling on the "Action Comics" side of the Super-Books spectrum where the story is obsessed with its own crazy convoluted canon to the point that nothing really matters. I dunno if the Steel/Lana Lang pairup is a new thing but I didn't really believe their romance for a second (so it made all the narration boxes of "I'm so in love with Steel!" come off even faker), and most damningly this went from a first issue that I felt was a complete failure except in how it nailed Lana's character to an issue that felt like it didn't have a handle on Lana's character at all.

But god drat it that final page reveal is so utterly loving nuts I'm probably gonna keep reading Superwoman. But, yeah, this comic is such a mess.

Lana Lang and Steel have been together for a few years now, they got together during the New 52 Action Comics. I want to say it was during Pak's run but I could be wrong.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

Lana Lang and Steel have been together for a few years now, they got together during the New 52 Action Comics. I want to say it was during Pak's run but I could be wrong.

It was. They got together after Doomed.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

Was it good? I really like Pak as a writer and think he can write great romance (as seen in the Planet Hulk storyline), but I didn't believe the LL/Steel stuff for a second here in Superwoman. Is it just carrying over a legacy relationship and assuming the reader gets where they're going with it or am I just missing something?

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Toxxupation posted:

Was it good? I really like Pak as a writer and think he can write great romance (as seen in the Planet Hulk storyline), but I didn't believe the LL/Steel stuff for a second here in Superwoman. Is it just carrying over a legacy relationship and assuming the reader gets where they're going with it or am I just missing something?

It wasn't a huge focus of the story, it felt more like an aside to me, but Pak's run is good so you're not wasting your time if you wanted to check it out.

They probably thought they were carrying over a legacy relationship and thought the reader would get that, which is why you're not getting any epic love story. I think this is the first Natasha Irons appearance that we've seen in the post-Flashpoint/New 52 though for what it's worth.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The first Pak trade made Lana a big fuckin' dope badass. It's a beautiful comic. It'll make you want to follow that upcoming Death of X thing just for Aaron Kuder.
The series did drop way off as it wrapped up in the DCYou era, but that first batch of issues, man.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Teen Titans #24 was very lame and flaccid. I never got any sort of sense that any of these characters were especially close to Tim as anything more than acquaintances, and these flashbacks feel like too little too late. Then it just ends with everybody just hastily rushing off in a last second explanation for the Raven mini-series and Teen Titans Rebirth.

Overall, a really mediocre end to one of the most unremarkable runs on the team.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Just like his Superman run, let us forget Lobdell's TT run and move onto bigger and better things.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Dario the Wop posted:

Just like his Superman run, let us forget Lobdell's TT run and move onto bigger and better things.

Like his Red Hood and the Outlaws run.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I REGRET NOTHING.

Except reading that TT issue. Yuck. Detective was killer though.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 15, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Rhyno posted:

I REGRET NOTHING.

the tide is turning against you.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

graybook posted:

Red Hood and the Outlaws
DON'T SAY THOSE WORDS

You'll summon.... him

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The comics were good this week.

Rhyno you need to read the newest Hal Jordan and the GL Corps. There is nude Guy Gardener and an epic moment.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

The comics were good this week.

Rhyno you need to read the newest Hal Jordan and the GL Corps. There is nude Guy Gardener and an epic moment.

Yeah I got caught up in projects at work so I barely read anything.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Yeah I got caught up in projects at work so I barely read anything.

Your missing Guy being awesome!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

Your missing Guy being awesome!

I had so many comics to sort!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It should be noted that the backup story in this week's Suicide Squad is about Captain Boomerang in the Australian Secret Service (e: who's HQ is named The Pub,) infiltrating the missile base of a villain named Drop Bear, which is hidden inside Ayers Rock.

Do with that what you will.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

It should be noted that the backup story in this week's Suicide Squad is about Captain Boomerang in the Australian Secret Service (e: who's HQ is named The Pub,) infiltrating the missile base of a villain named Drop Bear, which is hidden inside Ayers Rock.

You forgot to mention his love interest Sheila Upforit

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Lager, not shaken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm not sure how the word's commonly pronounced in Australia, but surely "Australian Royal Secret Service" would produce a more suitable acronym?