Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

OhFunny posted:

I don't watch TV a lot anymore, so what's this about Jimmy Fallon dooming American democracy?

Trump let Fallon mess up his hair. I thought it was pretty funny when I saw it, sorry team. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Congress continues to investigate Clinton's emails, as they are unable to find proof of Clinton's involvement with the attacks on the embassy in Clitoris.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

The funniest thing about this election is people with a weak grasp of biology trying to make "on the rag" jokes about Hillary.
Can America really afford to press menoPAUSE on its economic recovery? Don't let globalist Hillary bleed away America's manufacturing sector.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

shrike82 posted:

Yeah we get it, she's the wonkiest wonk that's ever wonked. And yet she can't point to any actual policy accomplishments beyond advocating bombing a bunch of ME countries.

Wikipedia posted:

In one of the Clinton governorship's most important initiatives, she fought a prolonged but ultimately successful battle against the Arkansas Education Association to establish mandatory teacher testing and state standards for curriculum and classroom size.

In 1985, she introduced Arkansas's Home Instruction Program for Preschool Youth, a program that helps parents work with their children in preschool preparedness and literacy.

She was part of the innermost circle vetting appointments to the new [Presidential] administration and her choices filled at least eleven top-level positions and dozens more lower-level ones. After Eleanor Roosevelt, Clinton is regarded as the most openly empowered presidential wife in American history.

Some critics called it inappropriate for the first lady to play a central role in matters of public policy. Supporters pointed out that Clinton's role in policy was no different from that of other White House advisors and that voters had been well aware that she would play an active role in her husband's presidency.

In January 1993, President Clinton named First Lady Clinton to chair a Task Force on National Health Care Reform, hoping to replicate the success she had in leading the effort for Arkansas education reform.[161] Unconvinced regarding the merits of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), she privately urged that passage of health care reform be given higher priority.[162][163] The recommendation of the task force became known as the Clinton health care plan, a comprehensive proposal that would require employers to provide health coverage to their employees through individual health maintenance organizations.

Failing to gather enough support for a floor vote in either the House or the Senate, although Democrats controlled both chambers, the proposal was abandoned in September 1994.[165] Clinton later acknowledged in her memoir that her political inexperience partly contributed to the defeat, but cited many other factors.

Along with Senators Ted Kennedy and Orrin Hatch, Clinton was a force behind the passage of the State Children's Health Insurance Program in 1997, a federal effort that provided state support for children whose parents could not provide them with health coverage, and conducted outreach efforts on behalf of enrolling children in the program once it became law.[171] She promoted nationwide immunization against childhood illnesses and encouraged older women to seek a mammogram to detect breast cancer, with coverage provided by Medicare.[172] She successfully sought to increase research funding for prostate cancer and childhood asthma at the National Institutes of Health.[59] The First Lady worked to investigate reports of an illness that affected veterans of the Gulf War, which became known as the Gulf War syndrome.[59]

Phone posting Wikipedia quotes > low effort troll.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Not sure why a low effort post of a bunch of policy failures points to her actually accomplishing anything.

The funniest thing is that when you look up HRC accomplishments, her top 7 achievements are supposedly:

1) Fought for children and families for 40 years and counting.
2) Helped provide millions of children with health care.
3) Helped get 9/11 first responders the health care they needed.
4) Told the world that “women’s rights are human rights.”
5) Stood up for LGBT rights at home and abroad.
6) Helped expand health care and family leave for military families.
7) Negotiated a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.

When half of the bullets were failed efforts and the other half hypocritical e.g. her views on LGBT

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

shrike82 posted:

Not sure why a low effort post of a bunch of policy failures points to her actually accomplishing anything.

The funniest thing is that when you look up HRC accomplishments, her top 7 achievements are supposedly:

When half of the bullets were failed efforts and the other half hypocritical e.g. her views on LGBT

I'm sure you're a great defender of the LGBT, lazy internet argument forum troll.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

shrike82 posted:

I'm guessing you can back up these statements with something besides "Hillary Bad"

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I'm sure you're a great defender of the LGBT, lazy internet argument forum troll.

I mean, this is the guy who thought Iraq was a wonderful success. I'm kind of surprised he doesn't like Hillary. :jerkbag:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean, this is the guy who thought Iraq was a wonderful success. I'm kind of surprised he doesn't like Hillary. :jerkbag:

Maybe he's mad that she regrets it?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Kinda hard not to ding her for it considering that she's deliberately played war hawk on Iraq/Libya/Syria etc. purely for political reasons to counterbalance her soft as a woman image.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

shrike82 posted:

Kinda hard not to ding her for it considering that she's deliberately played war hawk on Iraq/Libya/Syria etc. purely for political reasons to counterbalance her soft as a woman image.

drat bro, I don't have anything funny to say to mask that much purestrain sexist bullshit.

I'm just going to keep assuming this is you in real life tho. :jerkbag:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

shrike82 posted:

Thank you for enumerating all of Clinton's accomplishments for us. Your job is done and you may leave now.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

shrike82 posted:

Yeah we get it, she's the wonkiest wonk that's ever wonked. And yet she can't point to any actual policy accomplishments beyond advocating bombing a bunch of ME countries.

SCHIP

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

shrike82 posted:

what's a matter, shrike82... chicken?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I still think it's Clinton's election to lose but I'm happily going to cast a troll vote for Trump in November.

In any case, it's pretty certain she's going to be a one-term president.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

shrike82 posted:

I still think it's Clinton's election to lose but I'm happily going to cast a troll vote for Trump in November.

Deplorable

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

shrike82 posted:

This is not certain at all. While voters don't like Campaign Clinton, whenever she's actually in office she has consistently high approval ratings. Also the Republicans are liable to nominate a total loser like Ted Cruz after the Orange Fascist goes down in flames.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

shrike82 posted:

:jerkbag: <- you, cause goddamn nobody is gonna gently caress you, woman or man, with that kind of attitude.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

What's the word on Vice's FOIA on trump's tax returns?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Samovar posted:

Nothing has happened and nothing will happen.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I think the real issue I have with the Fallon thing is it's another step in the slow, deliberate march to make open racism and misogyny socially acceptable and he's either an unwitting dupe, actively doesn't care, or is fine with it and none of those are good. If David Duke got the nomination would Fallon be having a joking conversation about how difficult it is to get stains out of white sheets because at that point he's legitimate? Trump is able to simultaneously have two personas. One where he is giving frightening speeches to all white audiences about deportations while laughing at the press that is stuck on his plane. Then another where he is the goofy reality star and everything is all jokes because he's just this harmless showman. When entertainers like Fallon decide to prop up the second they are connecting themselves to the first since they are the same man regardless of which mask he's currently wearing.

I don't think anyone would expect a late night host to hold someone's feet to the fire (although Letterman DID do it to Limbaugh) but having a cute loving moment with a guy that is actively trying to turn white people against all other races and ethnicities while having a legally documented history of racism is incredibly scummy and shows an incredibly lack of any sort on integrity. We are watching white nationalism being normalized in real time as the media works as hard as they can to smooth off all of Trump's rough edges to make white people think that it's ok to hate openly. Then when Trump wins they will moan and complain about racist America.

QuoProQuid posted:

Nothing has happened and nothing will happen.

People have to stop thinking that there is anything that will hurt Trump. We are at the point of the cycle where Republicans have had enough time to come to terms with their garbage candidate and are ok with that. Trump doesn't have to release his taxes, give a real medical report, and can have as many "scandals" as he wants it's literally doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is Hillary getting out the people that voted for Obama since the idea that Trump can hurt his image with the people that currently want to vote for him is totally without merit. Waiting for something to stick or the debates to gently caress him is pointless, especially since he will "win" all three.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Sep 16, 2016

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Samovar posted:

Can you actually FOIA somebody else's tax returns? That seems like it shouldn't be a thing to me.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Lightning Knight posted:

Can you actually FOIA somebody else's tax returns? That seems like it shouldn't be a thing to me.

You literally cannot.

e: http://www.foiadvocates.com/exemptions.html

"One example of a qualifying statute is the provision of the Code prohibiting the public disclosure of tax returns and tax return information."

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Has anything horrifying/hilarious happened since around 4pm?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Another kid with a toy gun was shot by police.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Goddamnit.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Zanzibar Ham posted:

"#AllLivesMatter"

- fuckwits

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Radish posted:

Trump is able to simultaneously have two personas. One where he is giving frightening speeches to all white audiences about deportations while laughing at the press that is stuck on his plane. Then another where he is the goofy reality star and everything is all jokes because he's just this harmless showman. When entertainers like Fallon decide to prop up the second they are connecting themselves to the first since they are the same man regardless of which mask he's currently wearing.

reminds me of someone else that had a similar claim made about their behavior

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

shrike82 posted:

shrike82 posted:

It seems like some people waltz into D&D with the intent to show everyone how they earned their custom title.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Radish posted:

People have to stop thinking that there is anything that will hurt Trump. We are at the point of the cycle where Republicans have had enough time to come to terms with their garbage candidate and are ok with that. Trump doesn't have to release his taxes, give a real medical report, and can have as many "scandals" as he wants it's literally doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is Hillary getting out the people that voted for Obama since the idea that Trump can hurt his image with the people that currently want to vote for him is totally without merit. Waiting for something to stick or the debates to gently caress him is pointless, especially since he will "win" all three.
Surely there are people who will "probably" vote for him but aren't too enthused about it, and while they'll never vote for Hillary some of them can be demoralized to the point where they just won't bother to vote at all.

It's hard for me to tell since I'm not actually in the US, but I get the sense that Hillary is going pretty negative. That's well and good, but I hope she puts the word out about herself from time to time, in between Daisy ads.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

lozzle posted:

"#AllLivesMatter"

- fuckwits

Reading up on this it looks like the police are getting out early saying the kid was connected to an armed robbery and pointed the gun at the officer. Of course the kid just met "the description" of the suspects in a $10 robbery, meaning he was black, so the narrative is cemented in the minds of white people the kid was a thug and deserved it even if it turns out later he was totally involved. Also the standard lie that someone decides to point a non-lethal gun at a cop because that makes absolute total sense.

Kilroy posted:

Surely there are people who will "probably" vote for him but aren't too enthused about it, and while they'll never vote for Hillary some of them can be demoralized to the point where they just won't bother to vote at all.

It's hard for me to tell since I'm not actually in the US, but I get the sense that Hillary is going pretty negative. That's well and good, but I hope she puts the word out about herself from time to time, in between Daisy ads.

Maybe I have been paying too much attention to the news but I'm getting the feeling that moderate Republicans are starting to feel the Trump since he's letting them be a little more loose with all those weird feelings they've been told to suppress for thirty years.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Sep 16, 2016

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I don't think the vice thing is under foia

It may be just as futile tho

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx
Re: the kid with the toy gun, the police are claiming the BB gun the 13 year old had (Tyre King) was a replica of a real firearm and that he was suspected of a robbery. On the other hand, the 19 year old with him - who was weirdly interviewed and then released with no charge - claims he was running from the police when he was shot. I think more details will come out in time but there's no video footage as far as I'm aware.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Radish posted:

Reading up on this it looks like the police is getting out early saying the kid was connected to an armed robbery and pointed the gun at the officer. Of course the kid just met "the description" of the suspects in a $10 robbery, meaning he was black, so the narrative is cemented in the minds of white people the kid was a thug and deserved it even if it turns out later he was totally involved. Also the standard lie that someone decides to point a non-lethal gun at a cop because that makes absolute total sense.

what i dislike most about how "pointed a fake gun at an officer" thing is how stupid it is to take it at face value.

like okay, you shot a kid, and the gun he had was fake. there were no independent witnesses.
if he wasn't pointing it at you, you just committed murder and your life is over.
if he was pointing it you, you're just given some leave since you didn't do anything illegal or anything against procedure.

QUIZ: what do you tell people when they asked why you shot an (essentially) unarmed juvenile?

the followup irritation is that nobody really stops and goes "maybe if cops keep shooting unarmed people, the use of force policy should be more stringent" because how dare you imply something is the matter with how things are

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Radish posted:

I think the real issue I have with the Fallon thing is it's another step in the slow, deliberate march to make open racism and misogyny socially acceptable and he's either an unwitting dupe, actively doesn't care, or is fine with it and none of those are good. If David Duke got the nomination would Fallon be having a joking conversation about how difficult it is to get stains out of white sheets because at that point he's legitimate? Trump is able to simultaneously have two personas. One where he is giving frightening speeches to all white audiences about deportations while laughing at the press that is stuck on his plane. Then another where he is the goofy reality star and everything is all jokes because he's just this harmless showman. When entertainers like Fallon decide to prop up the second they are connecting themselves to the first since they are the same man regardless of which mask he's currently wearing.

I don't think anyone would expect a late night host to hold someone's feet to the fire (although Letterman DID do it to Limbaugh) but having a cute loving moment with a guy that is actively trying to turn white people against all other races and ethnicities while having a legally documented history of racism is incredibly scummy and shows an incredibly lack of any sort on integrity. We are watching white nationalism being normalized in real time as the media works as hard as they can to smooth off all of Trump's rough edges to make white people think that it's ok to hate openly. Then when Trump wins they will moan and complain about racist America.

At this point, I agree that Trump is basically Teflon-coated. If he murdered a child on live TV, he might face something approaching repercussions, but nothing short of that. He's the last gasp of the angry white man, so those who support him are already married to the idea. The hundreds of ways he's proven to be completely unfit for any form of leadership are just background noise to them they can write off as evil liberal attacks, even if it's just repeating what he said minutes before. The right wing propaganda machine has trained this group very well for a con man like Trump, so we shouldn't be surprised that they will always fall for his weak tricks. Nothing could harm him in their eyes short of being less of a bigoted bully.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
^ That is why he is getting away with it IMO - he has some very powerful supporters- individuals who looooooove being rich, 'white', men.

What an ugly system of social darwinism - where people who start acting out (at any age) may or may not be shot dead depending on their birth lottery ticket.

Mc Do Well fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Sep 16, 2016

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I was talking with a woman friend of mine about the head lines of Hilary taking 9 sips of water.

She went off on how sexist this poo poo is getting she doesnt really get the political but she can smell the sexism.

Now pleas for give me my french I dont know the polite term in this forum, but a classmate of mine who is a woman and is basically.....obese...post a photo of her FB about how there was hiliary body double. The proof was that if you compare to photos of her side profile in one where she is looking down you see a chin line, but in the other side profile when she is looking up you dont see the chin line.

I nearly lost it on her, because every selfie on her FB is taken from a raised angle with her looking up in the camera, and I've see her in real life stretch her neck like crazy to get ride of her chin line.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

McDowell posted:

What an ugly system of social darwinism - where people who start acting out (at any age) may or may not be shot dead depending on their birth lottery ticket.

In fact, some might get to become President!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Tiler Kiwi posted:

what i dislike most about how "pointed a fake gun at an officer" thing is how stupid it is to take it at face value.

like okay, you shot a kid, and the gun he had was fake. there were no independent witnesses.
if he wasn't pointing it at you, you just committed murder and your life is over.
if he was pointing it you, you're just given some leave since you didn't do anything illegal or anything against procedure.

QUIZ: what do you tell people when they asked why you shot an (essentially) unarmed juvenile?

the followup irritation is that nobody really stops and goes "maybe if cops keep shooting unarmed people, the use of force policy should be more stringent" because how dare you imply something is the matter with how things are

I mean it's totally ridiculous with any sort of thought. So this kid has a toy gun he knows is fake. What possible realistic reason could he have to point that at an officer? If the gun was real you could make the claim he just lost the quick draw, but with a toy he points and then what? It's such an obvious lie but it's all you need to make sensible people say "well then this is ok and certainly no reason to think that maybe there is a severe problem where an unarmed child can be killed by an agent of the state and then the justice system says that is totally fine (but of course regrettable)."

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Sep 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

max4me posted:

I was talking with a woman friend of mine about the head lines of Hilary taking 9 sips of water.

She went off on how sexist this poo poo is getting she doesnt really get the political but she can smell the sexism.

Now pleas for give me my french I dont know the polite term in this forum, but a classmate of mine who is a woman and is basically.....obese...post a photo of her FB about how there was hiliary body double. The proof was that if you compare to photos of her side profile in one where she is looking down you see a chin line, but in the other side profile when she is looking up you dont see the chin line.

I nearly lost it on her, because every selfie on her FB is taken from a raised angle with her looking up in the camera, and I've see her in real life stretch her neck like crazy to get ride of her chin line.

This is my favorite story from Trump/Clinton/Johnson/Stein Election 2016

• Locked thread