Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
It'd be a pretty awesome twist to find out that the only reason protag keeps running into arrogant shitheels and young masters ready to throw down is a conspiracy by his family/sect/master/whatever to make him strong. Because in most Xianxia stories the sheer amount of idiots impaling themselves on the MCs weapon gets out of hand very fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think the idea of researching opponents is completely alien to everyone in this setting.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

brainwrinkle posted:

Could you please spoiler tag and mark ISSTH content that has not been translated yet? Even vague stuff. I want to enjoy the story without hints and read this thread to talk about it with other translation readers.

Since this is a chapter release day, there should be no reason for you to not expect to see people discussing the new chapter in this thread, even if it's yet to be translated. I recommend you re-read the rules on discussing spoilers, thank you for understanding.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Since this is a chapter release day, there should be no reason for you to not expect to see people discussing the new chapter in this thread, even if it's yet to be translated. I recommend you re-read the rules on discussing spoilers, thank you for understanding.

The story is complete in its native language and Algid has read the entire story. It is not unreasonable to ask that he at least spoiler tag any information that isn't available to people who can't read Chinese.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Lyon posted:

The story is complete in its native language and Algid has read the entire story. It is not unreasonable to ask that he at least spoiler tag any information that isn't available to people who can't read Chinese.

Thank you for filling me in, I appreciate it. I didn't realize the series had already been completed. However, having to spoiler tag months old content still makes very little sense. What I think would be appropriate here, would be a separate thread for the translation releases for this particular series.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
this is already basically the issth thread. everything else worth reading comes out very slowly, and you can only go on about how awful the other stuff is for so long.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Serious Frolicking posted:

this is already basically the issth thread. everything else worth reading comes out very slowly, and you can only go on about how awful the other stuff is for so long.

Am I correct in assuming that issth is usually discussed here without spoiler tags? If that's the case, and this isn't a first time thing, then I think it's very silly to get bent out of shape over the discussion of a series that's constantly discussed. Nevertheless, I still believe that a translation release thread would be the optimal solution, I'll leave it up to those who care about spoilers to make the thread.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Am I correct in assuming that issth is usually discussed here without spoiler tags? If that's the case, and this isn't a first time thing, then I think it's very silly to get bent out of shape over the discussion of a series that's constantly discussed. Nevertheless, I still believe that a translation release thread would be the optimal solution, I'll leave it up to those who care about spoilers to make the thread.

let me clarify the problem here. a chapter revealed that the people at the next stage up, dudes get a bunch of lamps floating around them, which they put out one by one as they progress to a higher stage still. the protagonist of issth has had irregular but superior versions for every cultivation stage's gimmick. algid confirmed that this would also be true for the lamp stuff, which brainwrinkle got very upset about. so he got mad over a vague statement about something everyone who reads issth could already predict.

tldr: brainwrinkle is a yutz.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

let me clarify the problem here. a chapter revealed that the people at the next stage up, dudes get a bunch of lamps floating around them, which they put out one by one as they progress to a higher stage still. the protagonist of issth has had irregular but superior versions for every cultivation stage's gimmick. algid confirmed that this would also be true for the lamp stuff, which brainwrinkle got very upset about. so he got mad over a vague statement about something everyone who reads issth could already predict.

tldr: brainwrinkle is a yutz.

So like, in essence, it's just the next level of bankai, and not like a major plot twist that's been spoiled? That's a bit silly to get bent out of shape over that, regardless, Brainwinkle has my blessing to create his own spoiler-free thread for the series, although I imagine there probably won't be many posters, if any, since you're saying they're all here, in this thread.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Matoi Ryuko posted:

So like, in essence, it's just the next level of bankai, and not like a major plot twist that's been spoiled? That's a bit silly to get bent out of shape over that, regardless, Brainwinkle has my blessing to create his own spoiler-free thread for the series, although I imagine there probably won't be many posters, if any, since you're saying they're all here, in this thread.

come read issth with us my lord

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
algid didn't even say what the lamp situation was going to be. he just said "yeah it'll be weird and nonstandard like always". what's more, the lamp thing had never come up before that chapter. it could have been colored hats or any other completely arbitrary way of indicating power. like, "regular people have red hats, super badasses have green hats, but meng hao gets a different color hat!" *brainwrinkle starts keening at an increasingly high pitch until dogs start howling*

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

algid didn't even say what the lamp situation was going to be. he just said "yeah it'll be weird and nonstandard like always". what's more, the lamp thing had never come up before that chapter. it could have been colored hats or any other completely arbitrary way of indicating power. like, "regular people have red hats, super badasses have green hats, but meng hao gets a different color hat!" *brainwrinkle starts keening at an increasingly high pitch until dogs start howling*

I get ya, but I think it's time to move past this spoiler discussion, no need to drag it out any more than it already has been.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
At some point, in the future, Meng Hao cons somebody.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

jon joe posted:

Jon joe, did you ever see the sig I made for you in byob?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

jon joe posted:

So you're saying that Meng Hao from the future will con present day Meng Hao?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Jon joe, did you ever see the sig I made for you in byob?

No, I forgot about that thread. Link to the post?

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

jon joe posted:

No, I forgot about that thread. Link to the post?

Thread died months ago, I'll just link you the drawing! Hope you like it!

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
that rainbow slime has seen some poo poo

obviously a character having experienced one of the shittier wns

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Thread died months ago, I'll just link you the drawing! Hope you like it!

Reincarnated Into A Rainbow Slime, But I'm Not The Protagonist And Have No Special Ability! Basically My Personal Hell!

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Close, but you forgot to work slavery in there.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

The Lord of Hats posted:

Close, but you forgot to work slavery in there.

Well if you read the untranslated story for spoiler content you would know my slime self insert ends up as a slave to a slave and also gets punted across fantasy football fields regularly.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Really, ISSTH is quite predictable. It's a fun ride but I got tired of it and its ilk.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

jon joe posted:

Well if you read the untranslated story for spoiler content you would know my slime self insert ends up as a slave in a slave harem and also gets punted across fantasy football fields regularly.

Fixed for accuracy.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Kaja Rainbow posted:

Really, ISSTH is quite predictable. It's a fun ride but I got tired of it and its ilk.

I knew what I was in for with ISSTH back in book one when Meng Hao pulled out the copy of the wooden sword and yelled at Wang Tengfei about "How could I have stolen your once in a lifetime treasure when I have TWO of them!!!" Everything is set up in an obvious way, but its still manages to be satisfying to read.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Okay I checked the official ADTRW policy and I guess we're just supposed to report offending posts. Seems weirder than just asking people to politely spoiler tag their posts, but considering the response to asking politely I don't blame Bad Seafood. The one that particularly annoyed me outlined the upcoming arcs.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
:woof:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

The latest chapter of Raptor Wife is so sweet I think I have diabetes now. :3:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

brainwrinkle posted:

Okay I checked the official ADTRW policy and I guess we're just supposed to report offending posts. Seems weirder than just asking people to politely spoiler tag their posts, but considering the response to asking politely I don't blame Bad Seafood. The one that particularly annoyed me outlined the upcoming arcs.
Here's the thing: almost nobody asks politely.

If you see somebody posting spoilers, sure, you can say something, maybe give 'em a little nudge, but usually we get tantrums which IMO are worse than any spoiler.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

I'm normally not a big fan of novels which are "Normal people play normal MMOs", stuff like Only Sense Online, but Virtual Reality: Against the Flow is already looking like it will be a ton of fun to read.

Basically, dude really wants to play an awesome new virtual reality MMO, but the company is a dick and refuses to sell him the virtual reality equipment. So he just cobbles together a handmade system to let him play.

quote:

With a “Bang”, following the youth’s heavy hammer, the entire bracket suddenly got stuck into a place that it originally couldn’t enter, the entire object was also basically completed. At first glance, this is something a bit like a large massage chair. The size is a bit bigger than a massage chair, but there is a semicircular “cover” at the head of the chair. It feels like that machine in barbershops for perms, but the top of the cover is densely filled with all kinds of wires. Of course, these wire are simply too messy, it’s clearly the homemade path. In the current 22nd century, it’s simply impossible for this kind of bare wire “electric appliance” to leave the factory.

Using his insane hacking skillz, he then hacks into the company's server and logs into the game. Something seems off, though...

quote:

Li Huailin already saw this opening animation before on the official website so he didn’t really care about it. But after just playing for two seconds, the picture suddenly stutteringfor a moment. Afterwards the scene of an old battlefield with a myriad of races engaging in hot-blooded combat suddenly had a whole bunch of wrong images stutter in. Originally tens of thousands of people were fighting on a plain and suddenly the ground stuttered into the ocean, just like that tens of thousands of people were fighting while “standing” on the ocean. Originally the city in the distance was still fuming with smoke and on fire, suddenly it stuttered into a forest with limitless forest fluttering everywhere.

He ignores the odd glitches, and makes his character, choosing a class that gets a buff to intelligence and diplomacy so he can level a wizard. That's when he truly realizes something has gone terribly wrong.

quote:

Racial Gift:

Knowledge: Intelligence-10%

Diplomacy: Besides main human cities, reputation with the main cities of all races-10

“Holy poo poo, what the gently caress?” Looking at the character stats Li Huailin was shocked.

Basically, he fucks everything up with his homebrew hackjob system, can't contact the company to ask how to fix it because he's illegally hacking into their system, and just decides to roll with it and play the game the exact opposite of how it's supposed to be played.

quote:

I get it now, my character is bugged. All of the EXP I get now will deduct experience, but everything that originally deducted experience will turn into adding experience.” Li Huailin’s intelligence is not bad and he instantly determined what was going on, “So I can still play this game. If it’s like this then I just need to die 10 times and I can level up to LV2. Oh right, 10% experience is deducted from dying, like that doesn’t that mean that every 10 times I die I can level up one level. Holy poo poo, I hit the jackpot, won’t my levelling speed late game be unbeatable?”

“I really am freaking awesome.”

Only two chapters translated so far, but I'm already hooked and can't wait for the next update. :allears:

Edit: Oh my god, Experimental Log of Crazy Lich is wrapping up the third(?) volume, and things are getting so loving good I can't even. I just can't even. I'm not even going to post any of the quotes, because you need to be reading this. The translator is so loving into it as well, you can tell because it's updated three times in the past four hours as poo poo just gets staggeringly, increasingly, more real. It's wrapping up subplots left and right and poo poo just keeps getting better I can't do it justice. Read this poo poo. Ignore the terrible translation for the first few chapters, like somebody said earlier it definitely gets better as the translator finds his groove.

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Sep 16, 2016

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
A company won't sell you their product, what??

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

The story is that, for whatever reason, those with a criminal record aren't allowed to buy the new VR headsets. It never explains why, or what the MC did previously that got him a record.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Captain Bravo posted:

The story is that, for whatever reason, those with a criminal record aren't allowed to buy the new VR headsets. It never explains why, or what the MC did previously that got him a record.

uh, that's the sort of thing you explain in the first chapter. i don't have very high hopes for the rest of it if the author can't even establish the premise.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

uh, that's the sort of thing you explain in the first chapter. i don't have very high hopes for the rest of it if the author can't even establish the premise.

It does explain it in the first chapter (that those with a criminal record can't buy it, that is). As for why they can't buy it, A) it will probably be explained later, and B) does it really matter?

Piell fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Sep 16, 2016

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Jackard posted:

A company won't sell you their product, what??

You're likely american, because that's exactly what happens if you try to buy any kind of digital media from outside the US.
"Hey, we have this great product, but we won't sell it to you, because your IP-address doesn't look american enough"

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Never change, Meng Hao :allears:

Hankosha
Apr 1, 2008

SISTAS ARE DOIN' IT FOR THEMSELVES

The Lord of Hats posted:

Never change, Meng Hao :allears:

It should really be called,"I Shall STEAL The Heavens".

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

With the latest chapter in Heretic's Edge, I really have to kind of be a little awed at how many times the story has managed to flip itself on the head and still be as good as it is.

First, Heretics are the good guys fighting against monsters.
Then, Heretics are the bad guys oppressing the good monsters.
Then, Heretics are the mostly good guys fighting against the really nasty monsters.
Then, Heretics are the assholes who erased Flick's mom because she didn't want to kill the good monsters.
Then, Heretics are good guys who are fighting against the angels pulling the strings behind the curtain and deceiving all of humanity.
Now, Humanity is the loving bad guy, since humans are bio-engineered weapons who are only safe because the angels hid their true nature, and Heretics are simultaneously dangerous weapons that have activated themselves, and also the only hope of humanity since they're the ones keeping the original creators away from Earth.

It's impressive just how dedicated the story is to adding in a twist that turns everything on it's head every dozen or so chapters. It also really captures the tone and feel of teenagers and their limited, binary worldview, and it's great how the story itself slowly leeching into shades of gray mimics the main character wrapping her head around the sheer magnitude of the main plot.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Oh dang, look at all the new translation projects popping up on novelupdates, this should be good!

Devil King From The Otherworldly Dimension

quote:

A soul named Wu Ling Feng transferred into a male magician character in DNF, that very moment Devil King’s journey officially began……
Cool, cool...

quote:

Enemies’ magic need to be chanted, his doesn’t require such, it’s instantaneous magic.
Could be neat!

quote:

His second skill actually allows him to summon permanent dolls, whining Lolita dolls, royal sister dolls, whatever he wants….
Wait, what?

quote:

Lolita girl : Onii-chan, don’t do that, it will be painful, ar…..
:sigh: Uhh... let's try another one!

Manga wo Yomeru Ore ga Sekai Saikyou ~Yometachi to Sugosu Ki mama na Seikatsu~

quote:

The another world I reincarnated was, a world that will enable you to use magic after reading a Grimoire.
And the Grimoire’s contents are - - You wouldn’t believe it, it’s [Manga].
Not exactly blazing a path here, but could be ok.

quote:

This world’s people would take around one year to read one Grimoire(Manga)
But for me, it is [Manga], that’s why it would not take an hour.
Ehh, sounds kinda boring...

quote:

Welcomed brides that were also 6 years old, and started living a carefree life……!!
What. No! Why? gently caress.

The divine protection that I got was a power that increase a girl level with semen
:negative:

quote:

I level up a woman after my semen touch her skin for 6 hours. But the effect decrease when sperm touches the air. Face, Chest, Belly, rear end improve status. Mouth greatly improve status.
:negative::hf::negative:

quote:

Inside of Throat increase level by 1.
:psyduck:

quote:

Inside the rear end increase level by 1 and gain big status.
:psypop:

quote:

Inside the vagina increase level by 2.
:psyboom:

quote:

Inside the womb increase level by 2 and gain big status.

I think I'm going to stop reading novels for a while, Japan has finally won. I give up. :japan:

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Captain Bravo posted:

I think I'm going to stop reading novels for a while, Japan has finally won. I give up. :japan:

Have you read all the one-shots?

I liked these two, at least:
http://www.novelupdates.com/series/mimizuku-to-yoru-no-ou/
http://www.novelupdates.com/series/ame-no-hi-no-iris/

Can't vouch for the translation, mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I level up a woman after my semen touch her skin for 6 hours.

• Locked thread