Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

We're soon about to have all 5 lightning spots that aren't on drifting isles covered with lightning shops. The one at celestial oasis we can't build until 75 carpentry, so that's not happening any time soon (plus 99% of the guild isn't going up that way yet anyway).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I started "playing" this "game." In as Sigthor and would like a guild invite.

I didn't read the documents in the OP and just jumped in. I started fishing because I'm going to become a humble fisherman. I still haven't caught a purple snail and I've fished enough to almost hit level 5.

UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

Permanently banned from the Alamo
Jumped in, playing as UWBW. Disappointed at the lack of clicking I can do to occupy my vacant brain but excited to watch numbers go up.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

UWBW posted:

Jumped in, playing as UWBW. Disappointed at the lack of clicking I can do to occupy my vacant brain but excited to watch numbers go up.

Invite sent

UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

Permanently banned from the Alamo
edit: nevermind I'm an idiot

UWBW fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 15, 2016

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Oh man, that was just the tip of the iceberg. It got loving weird after that. Sadly I have nothing but memories of it. Horrible horrible memories.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Coffeehitler posted:

Oh man, that was just the tip of the iceberg. It got loving weird after that. Sadly I have nothing but memories of it. Horrible horrible memories.

Please share, I missed that

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

pixaal posted:

Please share, I missed that

Oh man, I don't even know where to begin with that guy.

He's very proud of his scientific videos about science and social engineering (PUPPETMASTER) which he puts on Youtube. We are the before in his before and after.

He's also a religion professional, because religion is his job (I thought he was super Christian at first but he might be an internet atheist instead, who knows.) I think he means this in the "I am a full-time youtube personality" sense.

HE IS DEFINITELY NOT AN ALCOHOLIC AND WHO REMEMBERS STUFF FROM GRADE SCHOOL ANYWAYS?

He's not quite Charles "Humanity is Evil and Should Be Genocided" Bukowski, mordaq "I Am Literally a Cat" the cutest kitty, or Gomez "puts hands over your eyes and puts a rose without thorns in your mouth and leads you to a table with candles and dinner" Addams, but he's... Definitely in that wheelhouse.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I had a ton of fun railing on him after the words "I hated Obama for... no particular reason" came out of him. We basically dogpiled him with "so you hated our first black president... for absolutely no reason. MMMMHHHMMMMMMM" and ran with it

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Cake, is it a drug, or is it simply a delicious chocolatey piece of heaven?
I wish it was easier to sort out the chat logs to cut out the dross, we need to (poo poo)post this sort of thing for posterity (and also for those of us who can't get on this week due to family obligations).

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

It's not bad if you take a screenshot, since everything's color-coded. It's the copypasting that's almost impossible to read.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

The chatlogs in this game are atrocious.

Today I was playing with visualizing the weekly gains in Chart.js

a few weeks ago when synthetic and I were in the home stretch of 85 speed:

Data from this morning's weekly highscores:

Then started comparing to other guilds. Alchemy is popular elsewhere it seems.
Pod:

Legacy:

Fool:

Notes:
This is just looking at weekly gains; so a weakness is if you do not make the top 100 in any category, your numbers are not counted.
I will get the page and json data posted sometime soon... maybe...... better make a kickstarter.
Ideally it will show a couple of the high performing guilds. I ran into complications and don't have time this weekend.
May have to figure out a weighted scoring because magic will never show up well when the numbers start getting big.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Chunjee posted:

Pretty charts

You might consider scrubbing out exp gains from all characters above [max level to do all possible skill-actions] (not sure how big this would be). These players aren't gaining anything new (aside from timer reductions I guess). It would also be neat to see the histograms of active guild members skill levels, to find deficiencies and overlap. I suspect there'd be a bubble around level 30 for most skills due to JOAT, but are we really that bad at fishing (probably)?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Yeah, we have a whole 3 people over 30 fishing, DCB, xerol who is going for 40, and gilg. As far as I know, DCB is the only person focusing on fishing

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

gwrtheyrn posted:

Yeah, we have a whole 3 people over 30 fishing, DCB, xerol who is going for 40, and gilg. As far as I know, DCB is the only person focusing on fishing

You have me confused with, IIRC, IAmAHorriblePancakeMonster. I have a fishing of 0 but hit Carpentry 61 today.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Because gently caress fishing

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

i have 22 fishing and wholeheartedly approve of the above statement

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

You are getting this by manually copy pasting right? scraping the manual is bannable just FYI. If you are doing it on a weekly basis likely to be unnoticed, the person that got nailed was using it scrape item prices every 5 minutes (which due to no market activity doesn't really change)

Problem is it's considered a 3rd party tool IE botting. You copying the data and putting it into excel or another program is okay though!

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

I know reading the manual and highscores is bannable because that is a totally normal thing in the devs upside-down world. Its basically a copy-paste of into a spreadsheet, Sheetsu turns it into json data that I use separately.

So I guess that is another weakness:
Requires manual intervention to get latest data.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Chunjee posted:

I know reading the manual and highscores is bannable because that is a totally normal thing in the devs upside-down world. Its basically a copy-paste of into a spreadsheet, Sheetsu turns it into json data that I use separately.

So I guess that is another weakness:
Requires manual intervention to get latest data.

Good Good, just don't want to see any bans over really stupid poo poo since botting has a zero tolerance policy.

The graphs are super cool and interesting, maybe make them weekly or monthly or something if you have time and post updates. Also weekly is generated in real time for the XP gains. I haven't tested if its by the day hour or minute, but I think Grump said "New - 7days" when I asked several months ago. (which is why scraping it is bannable its extremely server intense to make that list)

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Speaking of botting, is an iMacros script to cast spells and then resume an activity verboten?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Speaking of botting, is an iMacros script to cast spells and then resume an activity verboten?

I'm not 100% certain but my hunch would be to say that yes, it's against the rules.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

If you are not in control of the mouse, you are botting.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

I'd strongly recommend against it. Plus, if you're not casting spells and then forgetting to actually switch to that activity after casting, you're not playing amar correctly.

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013
I have started a love affair with idle clickers. Please allow me to bust my nerd nut in your guild hole. IGN is Rainbow Horse.

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Not_Rainbow_Horse posted:

I have started a love affair with idle clickers. Please allow me to bust my nerd nut in your guild hole. IGN is Rainbow Horse.

Invited, get in.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

As our team grows, we must also cope with those who just can't hack it in Amaranthine. Like this chap, throwing in the towel after just six short years.

And the thread, inb4 delete. Threatening to quit and not even check out replies. Tsk, tsk. What if folks provide some helpful advice?

Ah, of course. Can't even last but 10 minutes without breaking a promise. For shame, Agave.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

That's amazing, and I'm sad I miss poo poo like this.

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

ditto, very annoying that everyone isn't running on gmt :D

at least you all got the person to laugh before they quit? go goonsquad!

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Welcome to Amar, where the mods wank themselves off over being anal about the ~*~rules~*~

Active community with interesting conversations, what's that?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Welcome to Amar, where the mods wank themselves off over being anal about the ~*~rules~*~

Active community with interesting conversations, what's that?

Caps are spam in the game rules, more than 2 words in a row usually.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Yeah, but there's such a thing as discretion and judgement - that quite clearly wasn't actually spam or anything remotely offensive. He shut down a perfectly reasonable conversation between two players by enforcing a (frankly really stupid) rule about little technicalities, and he was hostile about it - he never said what rule was broken, even when asked, and took the time to threaten further bans rather than leaving it. It's not like he's running a legal system or a 400 person irc room, he could afford half a minute to read up and decide whether a mute was going to accomplish anything at all.

Surely the point of rules is to make the chat a friendlier and more fun place to be - Virtus not only solved precisely no problems with that mute, he actively made the chat less welcoming. Like, we talk a whole lot about how terrible the roleplayers and the bitter vets are at making the game better for new people, but the people running the drat thing should not be the ones chasing regular talk away.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

MooCowlian posted:

Yeah, but there's such a thing as discretion and judgement - that quite clearly wasn't actually spam or anything remotely offensive. He shut down a perfectly reasonable conversation between two players by enforcing a (frankly really stupid) rule about little technicalities, and he was hostile about it - he never said what rule was broken, even when asked, and took the time to threaten further bans rather than leaving it. It's not like he's running a legal system or a 400 person irc room, he could afford half a minute to read up and decide whether a mute was going to accomplish anything at all.

Surely the point of rules is to make the chat a friendlier and more fun place to be - Virtus not only solved precisely no problems with that mute, he actively made the chat less welcoming. Like, we talk a whole lot about how terrible the roleplayers and the bitter vets are at making the game better for new people, but the people running the drat thing should not be the ones chasing regular talk away.

Problem is the GM accounts are normal players too. They likely hold a grudge against us. We could bring it up with grumpy but that's like complaining about HR to well HR which means instead you need to bring it up to a C-level so they are going to be really really angry that they are dealing with petty bullshit also Grumpy is pretty ridged.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

So we have this on going joke with a pubbie asking if they are recruiting. They keep deleting their recruitment thread because members who have left the guild poo poo it up with bad reviews. They posted in response to a thread a new recruitment thread that they then bumped 10 hours later and we poo poo all over it for bumping a thread that was already the top post, they then deleted it.

Last few days in our thread asking if they are recruiting:

Today I get a PM:

Holy poo poo this person is both desperate for members and dense.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Isn't that the one where uh, Alto said something like:

He had to leave to help his friend set up a new guild

Because the guild leader and everyone else was idle/inactive for a while

so sleepingbeauty whoever, the guild leader's ex-girlfriend, convinced their friend to vote her as guild leader

She promptly took control of/looted the guild

When his friend, the former guild leader, came back, she refused to give it back

So he and his friend quit that guild to start their own (and Alto was helping them get set up)

Oh poo poo right, and uh, it was Gotham before and the guild leader was ???? Maybe Joker? Was that right?

I might be conflating multiple stories in my head and I frankly have no idea what's true anymore.

It's really funny that it's easy to name change yourself and your user id doesn't seem to stick around much/be revealed (though searching for wildcard on the users page reveals users in the order they registered in, if you really wanted to).

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Dropped off 330 bottles of lightning in Aeon Bay. I don't think there is a level limitation on drinking them. If you are lvl 0-1 in magic I'd recommend picking up 20 or so and start summoning white runes while drinking. They'll replenish your mana as fast as you can summon. Hit level 2 magic and at least have a buff spell if you don't want to walk back and summon runes everytime your mana is full.

Alternatively if you are just close to a magic level you need for something, go for it.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Yay we're getting copals made...by Sal, of all people.

e: DO NOT MENTION THIS IN WORLD

Xerol fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 21, 2016

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

Roflex posted:

Yay we're getting copals made...by Sal, of all people.

e: DO NOT MENTION THIS IN WORLD

Amazing that you were able to get these made by Sal. Either harbor likes you or he doesn't like Sal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
I'm still on a quest for the perfect MMO and I like text-based stuff.

Being that I'm that scumbag that sits in the desk at the far back wall of the office, is this something I could low-key "play" at work? :downs: