Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot
I personally think we should take a moment to pray for the souls of all the white children gunned down by police because they had a toy gun.

*crickets*

lozzle fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Sep 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Radish posted:

I mean it's totally ridiculous with any sort of thought. So this kid has a toy gun he knows is fake. What possible realistic reason could he have to point that at an officer? If the gun was real you could make the claim he just lost the quick draw, but with a toy he points and then what? It's such an obvious lie but it's all you need to make sensible people say "well then this is ok and certainly no reason to think that maybe there is a severe problem where an unarmed child can be killed by an agent of the state."

I think it's sort of a lousy argument to get into, because there's the assumption that its okay for kids to get shot if they point fake guns at officers, when I'd rather have a bit more discretion involved in this.

Of course this raises officer risk (or makes them feel more at risk, same difference really) if they don't great any possible threat with full lethal force, so yeah. So you have hundreds of dead suspects in exchange for officer peace of mind. I won't even say it makes the cops safer at all to act like this, since per capita officer death rate in the US isn't really different from other western countries while suspect death rate is freakishly high in comparison, iirc.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I think it's sort of a lousy argument to get into, because there's the assumption that its okay for kids to get shot if they point fake guns at officers, when I'd rather have a bit more discretion involved in this.

Of course this raises officer risk (or makes them feel more at risk, same difference really) if they don't great any possible threat with full lethal force, so yeah. So you have hundreds of dead suspects in exchange for officer peace of mind. I won't even say it makes the cops safer at all to act like this, since per capita officer death rate in the US isn't really different from other western countries while suspect death rate is freakishly high in comparison, iirc.

No you see officer death rate is only comparable to other developed nations because we allow cops to indiscriminately kill black people! It all makes sense!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Revelation 2-13 posted:

People went from 'there is literally no way Hillary can lose', to 'well clearly there is something wrong with how these polls are made, there is too many olds and also....' I'd say if anything the 'likely voter models' are probably underestimating Trump, at least it looks like he has managed to activate the white thrash who normally won't bother voting, and haven't bothered in years, by him being "anti-establishment", anti-politician, racist and fascist and 'nuke the middle east' as gently caress.

The mythic, silent, hordes of white people have not been activated by Code Orange and in fact do not exist. They didn't save us from the Anti-Colonialist Moor and they won't save us from Satan's Bride either. They failed both Romney and McCain, because the proportional number of white people, both trash and acceptable, is in decline.

At best Trump activated a bunch of assholes who usually vote in the general but not in the primary to come out and support the all but explicit campaign for their trash 14 words.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Tiler Kiwi posted:

What is it that makes our officers so skittish that they absolutely must murder any potential threat with enough melanin?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Really the excuses as to why it's ok to shoot the kids when they meet certain criteria is just window dressing on the real issue that America thinks that cops killing certain people is totally acceptable. Saying the kid pointed the gun or that he was totally, absolutely (well maybe) a robbery suspect is just so that people that aren't open racists can pretend that there's some sort of actual supervision and control in regards to police violence so anyone complaining is a whiner and not Serious and Sensible like them.

Geostomp posted:

What is it that makes our officers so skittish that they absolutely must murder any potential threat with enough melanin?

America's history of racism combined with the narrative police organizations push that every day could be their last as they have the most dangerous job in the world.

Also as the FBI pointed out neo-nazis have been infiltrating police for years but it's impolite to point it out.
http://thegrio.com/2015/05/12/fbi-white-supremacists-law-enforcement/

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Sep 16, 2016

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Geostomp posted:

Their job is to make sure they come home every night, everyone else is expendable.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Blackstone's formulation (Better that x guilty men go free than 1 innocent man be wrongly punished) really needs to be updated for self-defense cases so that the odds of someone getting executed for a legitimate self-defense case should be roughly equal to the odds that an unarmed person gets shot putatively in self-defense.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Of course we are getting dangerously close to having neo-nazis infiltrate the office of the President in broad daylight so :shrug:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Cops just want to serve and protect, while MILLENNIALS just want to WHINE and PROTEST.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Radish posted:

Of course we are getting dangerously close to having neo-nazis infiltrate the office of the President in broad daylight so :shrug:
If 40 percent of America holds their values, maybe they're not "neo-nazis" and instead are "your friends and neighbors and people you've spent your entire life around, and these are just America's values."

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

If 40 percent of America holds their values, maybe they're not "neo-nazis" and instead are "your friends and neighbors and people you've spent your entire life around, and these are just America's values."

I'd like to think that America isn't such a terrible country with so many horrible people but I guess it's trying to prove me wrong.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

FactsAreUseless posted:

That does not mean they are not neo-nazis.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

FactsAreUseless posted:

Cops just want to serve and protect, while MILLENNIALS just want to WHINE and PROTEST.

Can't hear this in anything other than democrat voice.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

CommieGIR posted:

That does not mean they are not neo-nazis.

In fact, Hannah Arendt's whole thesis is that the literal Nazis were "friends and neighbours and people you've spent your whole life around"

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I was talking with my female office mate the other day about the election. I was telling her I wasn't super excited at first to vote for Clinton, but I had been planning on it anyway, but with the crazy sexist poo poo she'd been going through that mirrors what I've also gone through in my personal / professional life I'm starting to feel more like "Bitches gotta stick together!" and getting more ragey-excited to vote for her. She felt the same way.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!
If you ever find yourself on the wrong end of ethnic or religious violence, you're going to find that friends and neighbors really, really want to rape you and/or beat you to death.

Good morning goons!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

If you ever find yourself on the wrong end of ethnic or religious violence, you're going to find that friends and neighbors really, really want to rape you and/or beat you to death.
Most people possess an impressive level of quiet, low-key hatred for everyone around them. I'm always amazed we don't have a higher murder rate.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Hodgepodge posted:

Good morning goons!

Chris Hedges' "War Is A Force That Gives Us Meaning" has some good eye opening stuff on just what regular people are willing to do once they have been convinced that their ingroup is threatened by Others. To quote a Propagadhi song "Ordinary people do hosed up things, when hosed up things become ordinary"

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Radish posted:

Maybe I have been paying too much attention to the news but I'm getting the feeling that moderate Republicans are starting to feel the Trump since he's letting them be a little more loose with all those weird feelings they've been told to suppress for thirty years.
There's probably some of that but I think the major difference since the conventions is that Trump's popularity could only go up.

Spray with standard conservative talking points ("lower taxes!" "spend on military") and pepper with barely left proposals (mother-only childcare) and baby, you got a stew going on containing the hard right-liners and middle.

It's nothing to worry about, of course, as the Very Smart People have assured us that there's no way Trump can win.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The real other is the self. We belong to the cosmos, not the other way around. No body lives forever.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Geostomp posted:

my guess

institutional history, different overall approach to handling crime (Tuff On Crime), militarization, training focused on dangers of suspects (and lack of training in resolving conflict by not engaging physically), police culture, overall cultural attitudes about gun usage, different methodology on firing practices (America emphasizes two to chest one to head (although in practice cop aim is poo poo so they just dump their magazine in a direction) and thin blue liners will holler that THERE ARE NO WARNING SHOTS ALL SHOTS ARE LETHAL DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND GUN SAFETY while other nations police use shots to limbs as part of the escalation of force because actually a leg shot is less lethal than a torso shot), legal protections and standards and about use of force (the aforementioned idea that pointing a gun/firing a warning shot == a lethal gesture results in cops having only two choices in their mental toolkit: do nothing or go lethal. legally, it's similar: it was a Good Shoot or the cops career/life is over), lack of federal control of police policy, and, of course, racism.

probably missed things, phone posting is hard.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Cheesus posted:

Very Smart People have assured us that there's no way Trump can win.

Oh god :smithicide:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

If Trump wins, does that mean that Harold "Five minute letter" Bornstein, MD will become Physician to the President? :laffo:

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Hodgepodge posted:

Good morning goons!

If I may plug a book real quick, Julie Otsuka's When the Emperor was Divine is so goddamned good and this is part of why. It's a book about Japanese concentration camps during WWII and at the end when our protagonists go home, oof. There is like a chapter about looking in neighbors windows and seeing the things that were almost certainly taken from their house. And then the last is one of the best chapters of any book and when it got released a lot of white readers whined about it and said they'd like the book better without it. Making white people uncomfortable about is almost always good.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/776754354481205248

I can barely handle the suspense - will Trump reveal himself to be a fat racist idiot, or a fat racist idiot piece of poo poo?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

http://election.princeton.edu/2016/09/16/is-a-change-in-the-air/

He seems confident this will swing back, but confirms what I've suspected: Trump is now acceptable to the GOP and a normal Republican candidate.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Night10194 posted:

He seems confident this will swing back, but confirms what I've suspected: Trump is now acceptable to the GOP and a normal Republican candidate.

Christ.

If Trump wins, my girlfriend's parents might leave the US and move here

:derp: :derp: :derp:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Tiler Kiwi posted:

my guess

institutional history, different overall approach to handling crime (Tuff On Crime), militarization, training focused on dangers of suspects (and lack of training in resolving conflict by not engaging physically), police culture, overall cultural attitudes about gun usage, different methodology on firing practices (America emphasizes two to chest one to head (although in practice cop aim is poo poo so they just dump their magazine in a direction) and thin blue liners will holler that THERE ARE NO WARNING SHOTS ALL SHOTS ARE LETHAL DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND GUN SAFETY while other nations police use shots to limbs as part of the escalation of force because actually a leg shot is less lethal than a torso shot), legal protections and standards and about use of force (the aforementioned idea that pointing a gun/firing a warning shot == a lethal gesture results in cops having only two choices in their mental toolkit: do nothing or go lethal. legally, it's similar: it was a Good Shoot or the cops career/life is over), lack of federal control of police policy, and, of course, racism.

probably missed things, phone posting is hard.

Also lack of independent investigation into police violence. The DA isn't going to give a gently caress if a cop shoots someone.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Night10194 posted:

Yeah I assumed that would happen which I why I thought Hillary's attempts to swing moderates with shame was naive, especially for her who should know better.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Night10194 posted:

This is exactly what people were worried about but the very smart people would say it was a silly thought and Trumpism would die.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Thing is all Trump has to say is "yeah Obama was born in US I guess, Clinton started it though" and the media's going to have another pivotgasm and then we'll get a three-day back and forth on how Clinton started birtherism. Bannon might even be able to talk Trump into it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Radish posted:

Yeah I assumed that would happen which I why I thought Hillary's attempts to swing moderates with shame was naive, especially for her who should know better.

In fairness, basically up until he hired Bannon and Conway, it was working perfectly because Trump was regularly rebelling against the attempts to make him a perfectly normal republican candidate rather than allowing the media to do it by capitalizing on their low expectations.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's also an indication that white supremacy will be a new plank in the GOP platform since why not.

Night10194 posted:

In fairness, basically up until he hired Bannon and Conway, it was working perfectly because Trump was regularly rebelling against the attempts to make him a perfectly normal republican candidate rather than allowing the media to do it by capitalizing on their low expectations.

It's more that the media is actively smoothing off all of his rough edges than just simply giving him a pass which is becoming more and more concerning.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Radish posted:

Yeah I assumed that would happen which I why I thought Hillary's attempts to swing moderates was naive, especially for her who should know better.

As someone who digs into the crosstabs regularly, moderates do actually go for her, even lately. Hell, that Fox News poll that came out, while not having a moderate sample had her at 20% support (RV, LV is 19%) from conservatives.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Unless they end up losing this election after all, which is still likely. As one article pointed out, this is the best Trump has polled all race and for this he had to have a month where basically every single thing went right for him, from idiot media coverage to somehow getting lucky enough not to get poo poo on in Mexico to his opponent literally falling on her face on 9/11.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Just got caught up on the birtherism coverage. S...something mattered? :aaa:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Chokes McGee posted:

Just got caught up on the birtherism coverage. S...something mattered? :aaa:
He didn't admit any fault so no, nothing continues to matter.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!

iospace posted:

As someone who digs into the crosstabs regularly, moderates do actually go for her, even lately. Hell, that Fox News poll that came out, while not having a moderate sample had her at 20% support (RV, LV is 19%) from conservatives.

Realtalk, we're probably still processing the fallout of video of her literally collapsing as she's being helped into a van, which, griping about 'optics' aside, isn't a great look for a candidate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

iospace posted:

As someone who digs into the crosstabs regularly, moderates do actually go for her, even lately. Hell, that Fox News poll that came out, while not having a moderate sample had her at 30%+ support from conservatives.

Trump is losing:

Women
African Americans
Latinos
Muslims
Catholics
Mormons
College educated white men
LGBT
and apparently not great with moderate Republicans

but still is gaining ground nationally and now winning swing states. I just don't understand. I'm hoping that the day after the election it comes out that uneducated white males were significantly over-sampled but Trump losing practically every demographic while still being very competitive is mind boggling.

• Locked thread