Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Tears In A Vial posted:

The other day I got a three minute advert telling me not to join ISIS.

I mean, I'm not gonna join ISIS so I guess it worked.

I joined ISIS just to spite them.

e: but seriously, use an ad blocker if you regularly browse YouTube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ratbert90 posted:

Your phone wasn't free.

Nothing supported by ads is free.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

ratbert90 posted:

If you don't like the ads on YouTube don't use YouTube?

Hey, all I'm doing is disrupting the ad market. If they don't like it they should just adapt. :smug:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Phlegmish posted:

I joined ISIS just to spite them.

e: but seriously, use an ad blocker if you regularly browse YouTube

I do, but on my lunch break I like to watch a video or two on my phone and the Youtube ad there doesn't have an adblocker.

It's actually been confirmed through research that the ads that get the most return on investment in online advertising are the short ones that understand and use the fact people want to skip ads. Incorporating the skip button into your ad's a fun strategy (one I liked recently was an insurance company going 'you want to skip? Wait a second' and incorporated the skip button into a quick shell game), but the real winners are the ones that just cram some fun comedy into that five seconds.

Geico had some really fun ones last year, where they start by fitting their ad into five seconds and then give you a bit of extra comedy if you didn't skip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAKyFw-FOJ0

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 13:12 on Sep 16, 2016

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The other day I got an ad that was just a minute of footage shot from a drone flying over a Scottish castle, but it was a 360° video. No voiceovers, captions or anything, it just faded in and out. Could have been the Scottish tourism board, could have been an ad for drones, could have been an ad for VR headsets. :iiam:

I'll say this though, I watched the whole thing trying to figure it out, so any ad agency trying to figure out a way to get people to watch the whole ad voluntarily should take notes.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Any Android apps to block ads or watch youtube ad free?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Cleretic posted:

Geico had some really fun ones last year, where they start by fitting their ad into five seconds and then give you a bit of extra comedy if you didn't skip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAKyFw-FOJ0

I hate that I'm stuck on geicos mailing list because I once got a quote from them and I'll never use their service but I enjoyed these ads. That's definitely YouTube ads done right.

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Reminds me of some Boeing ads I saw on TV a few times, the only thing that I got out of them were montage of how great and cool Boeing is and all the great stuff they do over the years

That was literally the entire ad, nothing for recruitment or jobs or anything, just how great Boeing is.

It's not like people who are going that are going to buy a loving aircraft will be swayed to get a Boeing plane because of the ad, I seriously don't see the point of it at all

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Some insurance company did the same thing.

With a national AD where they just had a whale jumping 3-4 times and no information at all.

Like the gently caress was that.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Advertising isn't about providing you with information, it's just about brand recognition.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

stringball posted:

Reminds me of some Boeing ads I saw on TV a few times, the only thing that I got out of them were montage of how great and cool Boeing is and all the great stuff they do over the years

That was literally the entire ad, nothing for recruitment or jobs or anything, just how great Boeing is.

It's not like people who are going that are going to buy a loving aircraft will be swayed to get a Boeing plane because of the ad, I seriously don't see the point of it at all
I don't have case studies or specific cases to back it up, but I think there's been more than a few companies in a big ticket item or bid based purchasing industry who thought "man do we really need a brand?" and cut their advertising budget to their detriment. The people making multimillion dollar purchasing decisions watch TV like any other schmuck, and if you make a purchase of something with a prestigious brand, you might see a nice little moral boost from the line employees seeing "oh, we bought a Boeing? cool beans."

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I was going Airbus this time, but after watching that ad it's Boeing all the way.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
It's my understanding that with companies like Boeing (who are big US government contractors but obviously don't have much of a market for everyday people), their ads are basically about swaying the politicians who decide on said government contracts.

So yeah, pretty much what zedprime said

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
Not buying an airplane and don't really care which one I'm flying on but I do own Boeing stock so...

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

The Blue Pyramid posted:

It's like when Diageo made all their beers smaller but kept the prices the same. It's a bad move in that they're selling you a 12 pack of Guinness that realistically only contains about 11 beers, but a good move as it saves the company plenty over the long term and nobody really notices.

Yeah I started getting some decent stuff too, the bottle opening lizard keychain made it worth it for me. Plus its fun seeing packages from Laos and Malaysia pop up every so often

Unsubscribe you dumb fucker

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Improbable Lobster posted:

Unsubscribe you dumb gently caress box

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
just give me your money, thank you.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I've started seeing ads on YouTube that use a genre of music that I like with no SFX or voiceover and I sometimes let them play just to hear out the music. I suppose they are able to target me because I do use YouTube primarily to listen to music, but it strikes me as a reasonably good ad strategy.

It probably helps that I'm an unapologetic EDM and house music junkie though in my defense I'm also a wannabe music producer so I often enjoy mediocre music by playing the "I think I have a plugin that does that" game.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

ratbert90 posted:

If you don't like the ads on YouTube don't use YouTube?

You just go ahead and go to bat for the exploitative multi-billion-dollar megacorp there buddy

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
so are those loot crate things what all the cool upper-middle class people are wasting their money on now?

just seems like cheese of the month club but for STEM majors

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
The whole BiaB discussion had made me morbidly curious and I started looking up unboxing stuff besides what is on their website. There was this dumb one where a guy and his two kids used puppets for the unboxing, but they actually went through all 30 days in the video. More than 2/3rds of the month they got little chinsy thin plastic "tools" of little to no known purpose. They did get a couple necklaces too, and a couple cat toys. I do wonder if you can get anything better at all with savvy keyword manipulation (for example, searching for one of my main interests, horror, results in a ton of dollar dvds on ebay) but I somehow doubt it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Choco1980 posted:

The whole BiaB discussion had made me morbidly curious and I started looking up unboxing stuff besides what is on their website. There was this dumb one where a guy and his two kids used puppets for the unboxing, but they actually went through all 30 days in the video. More than 2/3rds of the month they got little chinsy thin plastic "tools" of little to no known purpose. They did get a couple necklaces too, and a couple cat toys. I do wonder if you can get anything better at all with savvy keyword manipulation (for example, searching for one of my main interests, horror, results in a ton of dollar dvds on ebay) but I somehow doubt it.

Remember that it's $1 and free shipping, which guarantees that you would never actually get something cool.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

InediblePenguin posted:

I wish ublock also blocked retention popovers. No, I don't want to sign up for your newsletter. Yes, my mouse DID move to the upper corner of the window, because I AM leaving your site; no, I don't want to sign up for your newsletter before I leave. Fine, okay, I'll click your loving passive-aggressive "no" option, you piece of poo poo.

Email: ____________________________________
[ YAY! I LOVE EATING GOOD, HEALTHY FOOD MY FAMILY LOVES! ]
[ No thanks, I'll just eat a poverty dog off the floor like a animal ]

get hosed

http://confirmshaming.tumblr.com/ has a whole bunch of these. Shame it hasn't updated in the last month or so.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

It's my understanding that with companies like Boeing (who are big US government contractors but obviously don't have much of a market for everyday people), their ads are basically about swaying the politicians who decide on said government contracts.

So yeah, pretty much what zedprime said

Pretty much. If you go to DC, all of the subway ads and billboards are for military and government contractors such as Boeing, General Electric, or Lockheed Martin. The politicians themselves probably aren't seeing the subway ads, but there are thousands upon thousands of government employees riding in those subway cars every single day, and that name recognition can make a difference when you're directing it at the bureaucracy that keeps Congress and the Presidency running.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Somfin posted:

You just go ahead and go to bat for the exploitative multi-billion-dollar megacorp there buddy

Why do I have to see ads from a companies website who's sole purpose is to sell advertisers add time?!?! :saddowns:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ratbert90 posted:

Why do I have to see ads from a companies website who's sole purpose is to sell advertisers add time?!?! :saddowns:

Why do companies in a capitalist economy have to face any consequences when they do something the customers don't like?!?! :saddowns:

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.
I will regularly get invites to join the newsletter for websites I already get the newsletter from, so I have to choose the shameful no option because there is no "I already get your newsletter, stop this madness."

I don't know how it happened but a local theatre group put my email in twice at some point and as a result I get their newsletter twice instead of whatever service they use finding the address redundant.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

Why do companies in a capitalist economy have to face any consequences when they do something the customers don't like?!?! :saddowns:

Oh god my 30 seconds of time! OBAMAAAAAAAAA :argh:

If you want them to face consequences for the audacity of making money on their service you use, don't use their service.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

I will regularly get invites to join the newsletter for websites I already get the newsletter from, so I have to choose the shameful no option because there is no "I already get your newsletter, stop this madness."

I don't know how it happened but a local theatre group put my email in twice at some point and as a result I get their newsletter twice instead of whatever service they use finding the address redundant.

There's an interactive theatre thing that just ended a limited engagement here. I really enjoyed it and went something like 7 times, but it seems like with every new registration they just added my email to a new list instead of detecting that it was already on their past player list and leaving it be. Every time they sent out deals or coupon codes, I got multiple emails.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ratbert90 posted:

If you want them to face consequences for the audacity of making money on their service you use, don't use their service.

Or they could just use adblock like everybody else

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Indolent Bastard posted:

Any Android apps to block ads or watch youtube ad free?

Firefox on Android still supports add-ons, including ad blockers.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

ratbert90 posted:

Yes, we'll use all those competitive rival services instead, like

You might as well be saying "if you don't like [local internet monopoly], don't use them." There might technically be other options, but they're impractical for most people.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Haifisch posted:

Yes, we'll use all those competitive rival services instead, like

You might as well be saying "if you don't like [local internet monopoly], don't use them." There might technically be other options, but they're impractical for most people.

Vimeo is... a thing that plays videos sometimes? I only know them because a few cool things like "Everything's a Remix" are on there, so they could be a mafia front for all that I know

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

One of the Seth Rogen movies had a humorous youtube ad where the first five seconds were him and his friends shouting DON'T SKIP at you, and promising to put their titties on the glass if you keep watching.

Fake Edit: Apparently they did this for a few different movies because google is only bringing up Bad Neighbours, and I thought it was for like This is the End or something.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Hello good sir/madam, I would like your goods/service. Oh? That's the fee? No thank you. I'll just take it for free anyway since I'm entitled to it because reasons.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

ratbert90 posted:

The difference is the same if I block their ads or if I don't use their service. Why would I choose the latter instead of the former?

Remember my only complaint here is that the ads are too intrusive, too long, and too loud. If the ads better served me as a consumer I wouldn't block them. I specifically allow Something Awful to run goon ads and I've even clicked on some of them out of curiosity.

Do you dutifully sit through the commercials on TV? Because if you don't you're basically stealing that service and shouldn't be watching it, it's only there to serve ads to you.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Yeah the problem is lovely ads (also virus laden ads which is why adblock is actually basically a requirement now). Yeah blanket adblock sucks but the solution to lovely ads isn't to make them even shittier andnmore annoying. That's how we got this problem in the first place.

Also the difficult problem of being shown the same ad every single time you watch something.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

The Merkinman posted:

Hello good sir/madam, I would like your goods/service. Oh? That's the fee? No thank you. I'll just take it for free anyway since I'm entitled to it because reasons.

How dare that fish eat the bait without obligingly plunging the hook through its lips

I'm not running some sort of piscine soup kitchen here

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

The Merkinman posted:

Enjoy you're malware

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
One issue is that websites generally have zero control over what ads actually play on their site. Things get worse when you realize that a lot of websites belong to companies with decision-makers who aren't super tech savvy. I'm not sure why more websites don't sell ad space to specific advertisers so that they know exactly what ad will show where. NYT does this, but they also serve ads from an ad server and have served users malware from those servers in the past.