Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
But what if Hitler gave you a whole bunch and the other people complaining about it never gave you anything :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I think we are all glossing over the fact that Patrick did background research into Allison's current boyfriend and I'm not sure if "prospective business associate" is just a legalize way to say "person you associate with" or maybe he's suggesting that she butter this guy up in order to secure funds.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Kind of waiting to see what he did with it, it might be "Max is actually a super awesome guy and really nice despite the horrendous first impression he gives"

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Brought To You By posted:

I think we are all glossing over the fact that Patrick did background research into Allison's current boyfriend and I'm not sure if "prospective business associate" is just a legalize way to say "person you associate with" or maybe he's suggesting that she butter this guy up in order to secure funds.

I totally missed that the file was on that guy. I thought we were finally getting back to the secret conspiracy plot.

Now this just seems petty as hell.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

"Hey remember that conversation we had about time travel and Hitler? Well funny thing is it went the other way, Max is actually literally Hitler, he traveled forward in time. Go figure huh!"

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Seriously? She went back to that guy?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

gently caress ME IN THE rear end AHAHAHAHAHA FUKKKKKKKKK

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Why would she apologize to that rear end in a top hat?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Air is lava! posted:

Seriously? She went back to that guy?

SynthOrange posted:

Piell posted:

Why would she apologize to that rear end in a top hat?

I read these posts and I still wasn't ready.

Obviously there's some stuff that's been omitted, but 1: "I was rude, immature and unkind" is what she should be saying to the professor she said "gently caress you" to when he challenged her and 2: the information she's acting on came from someone she knows to be deeply manipulative and untrustworthy.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Some weird wish fulfillment going on here? Maybe? :shrug:

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Oh, come on. This is obviously headed somewhere. She's here because of the Max-related information that Patrick sent her, and Max being such an rear end in a top hat will make it easier for her to back off.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Well no, sure, of course it's going somewhere, it's just baffling :shrug:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

SynthOrange posted:

:agreed:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
This is an abrupt transition. I want to believe that there will be a good payoff to this but I don't think there is.

They really had her just go back to this guy.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
If I had to guess I'd say she's setting him up for some potential blackmail or something to make him fund her Valkyrie thing. See! Allison learns that people won't always work together toward the common good, so sometimes you have to coerce the poo poo out the people who put down a black stone.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

If so that's going to be a super weird position. I won't take money from you, weird shady mind reader dude! But I will take this information you have gathered and use it to extract other money from some other lovely guy.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Did...did her doctor/therapist tell her to do that?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
This could have been better plotted, but here is what I think it happening:

She is not there for money. She already tore up a check for an extorbant amount. I highly doubt she would get on her hands and knees immediately afterwards to beg from someone else, much less someone who she already thinks is a jerk.

I am thinking our boy Max here is a BioDynamic with an ability to help people somehow, or owns something that can help people. And one of the things hammered in this chapter is that Alison thinks if you can help someone, you SHOULD, full stop. Brad even low key called her our on this when she was at the support group. The call to the doctor was to verify the information, possibly. Right now, she wants him to use his abilities to help people, and is willing to beg for it, and is even willing to follow the intel of someone she knows is not completely trustworthy. And this may dovetail into his complex about being told what to do (remember his reaction).

All that said, shouldn't she have apologized before she told him what she had in mind, much less before he even let her into his house?

EDIT: I came up with this mostly because the author can't be so dumb as to make it literally about money after her tearing up the check, right?

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 16, 2016

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Unlucky7 posted:

This could have been better plotted, but here is what I think it happening:

She is not there for money. She already tore up a check for an extorbant amount. I highly doubt she would get on her hands and knees immediately afterwards to beg from someone else, much less someone who she already thinks is a jerk.

I am thinking our boy Max here is a BioDynamic with an ability to help people somehow, or owns something that can help people. And one of the things hammered in this chapter is that Alison thinks if you can help someone, you SHOULD, full stop. Brad even low key called her our on this when she was at the support group. The call to the doctor was to verify the information, possibly. Right now, she wants him to use his abilities to help people, and is willing to beg for it, and is even willing to follow the intel of someone she knows is not completely trustworthy. And this may dovetail into his complex about being told what to do (remember his reaction).

All that said, shouldn't she have apologized before she told him what she had in mind, much less before he even let her into his house?

EDIT: I came up with this mostly because the author can't be so dumb as to make it literally about money after her tearing up the check, right?

If Bootstraps Boy is a superpowered individual without ever having hinted at it before, I am so fuckin' done with this comic.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
can someone explain to me exactly what the strong female protagonist is trying to do in this narrative. like i get the impression her plan is to punch every domestic abuser in the world, her motivation is that her friend keeps donating all her organs, she's going to achieve this by going to a philosophy class, but killing every wife beater doesn't do anything to curb the need for donated organs, she should be funding medical research instead into growing organs in vats or i don't know kidnapping her friend and sending her to philosophy class until she stops compulsively donating organs. how do the organs fit into this. i am trying very hard to masturbate to this comic but my arousal is tempered by confusion and when i get confused i get angry

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Nah you pretty much nailed it

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

If you're forgiving, the idea is that Feral made a deliberate choice to turn away from the violent aspect of her biodynamism, and instead worked out how she could apply it in the way that most directly helped people, and then dialed that up to its limit. The choice and the result was dramatic/horrifying enough that it has jarred Alison into trying to find some way to match it. She was already disillusioned with being a conventional hero, but had sort of given up and decided to be a normal person - Feral's choice convinced her that she had a moral responsibility to leverage her abilities as much as possible to help people, but she has no idea how to actually do it. Feral strategy, while shocking, was actually pretty straight forward- she's just using her remarkable healing to heal other people. Alison doesn't see such a clear path for herself, so she's milling around in university trying to work out what being good means, and how to do it. Right now, she has decided that than her physical strength, she can use her fame and fortune to drive an organization to help people in domestic violence situations.

It's not terrible overall, but the actual presentation has been hugely messy and with big meanders like 'what if we just killed people?' and 'your dad has cancer' that don't exactly yield anything.

The weirdest thing about this whole thing is that Alison has never really deliberately confronted and addressed the fact that her biodynamism is not actually useless for helping people. There are thousands of situations around the world every day where being essentially invulnerable and immensely strong would be a big help - she could be doing all sorts of rescue work, for instance, especially now she can fly. And this should be obvious, because she is a volunteer firefighter, but it has never been really mentioned or discussed that she could be doing that work dialed up to 11 instead of putting out apartment fires. We even see her help control the flood when Inferno explodes, but at no point does she seem to think 'Wait, I could do this to save people all the time!' It would be one thing if she dismissed it as being not effective enough, but she doesn't even really seem to dwell on it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The comic also completely overlooks the enormous social power Allison has just by being a famous celebrity. She could run for President, look at where we are now in reality.

Ashcans posted:

...but it has never been really mentioned or discussed that she could be doing that work dialed up to 11 instead of putting out apartment fires. We even see her help control the flood when Inferno explodes, but at no point does she seem to think 'Wait, I could do this to save people all the time!' It would be one thing if she dismissed it as being not effective enough, but she doesn't even really seem to dwell on it.

Maybe the author just chooses not to do this because that's basically The Samaritan from Astro City. I wouldn't mind seeing her do this kind of thing though.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Sep 17, 2016

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Flesh Forge posted:

The comic also completely overlooks the enormous social power Allison has just by being a famous celebrity. She could run for President, look at where we are now in reality.

Not until she's at least 35. Plus, remember, she's already explicitly said that it's horrible to have people looking to her for suggestions on what to do when she doesn't even know how government works.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Well yeah there's the legal age limit, that's true. She could still apply enormous influence though, just advocating dumb poo poo on Twitter/Facebook.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Ashcans posted:

The weirdest thing about this whole thing is that Alison has never really deliberately confronted and addressed the fact that her biodynamism is not actually useless for helping people. There are thousands of situations around the world every day where being essentially invulnerable and immensely strong would be a big help - she could be doing all sorts of rescue work, for instance, especially now she can fly. And this should be obvious, because she is a volunteer firefighter, but it has never been really mentioned or discussed that she could be doing that work dialed up to 11 instead of putting out apartment fires. We even see her help control the flood when Inferno explodes, but at no point does she seem to think 'Wait, I could do this to save people all the time!' It would be one thing if she dismissed it as being not effective enough, but she doesn't even really seem to dwell on it.

There's a whole bunch about this in the comic, actually. Running around saving people on a grand scale is exactly what she used to do, but she's just not satisfied with that anymore. She doesn't want to just haul starfish off the beach, she wants to change the environment so they never get washed up there in the first place. It may be that what she's trying to do is actually impossible, and she should have just kept saving people, but she doesn't currently believe this.

Flesh Forge posted:

Long-term, this is probably pretty much what she'd do. She's going to school so she can learn about society and the world and humanity and so on so that she can actually have some answers when people look to her for them. Becoming president would be a good way of gaining enough power to influence the world, but she's not going to aim specifically at that goal until she's decided that's the best way to deal with the world's problems.

This is not necessarily a good way of dealing with things, but there you go.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

idonotlikepeas posted:

There's a whole bunch about this in the comic, actually. Running around saving people on a grand scale is exactly what she used to do, but she's just not satisfied with that anymore. She doesn't want to just haul starfish off the beach, she wants to change the environment so they never get washed up there in the first place. It may be that what she's trying to do is actually impossible, and she should have just kept saving people, but she doesn't currently believe this.
I feel like what we have been shown isn't her saving people, it's fighting people. We've seen her beating up Cleaver and throwing around Templar robots, busting other biodynamics and so on, but I don't think we saw her and the hero team doing stuff like responding to earthquakes or disasters. Their team was basically used as an advanced combat force, and that was part of its collapse - when fights against other biodynamic threats dried up, they ended up fighting lower and lower level crime until they were punching out dealers and stuff. We're even shown how this was explicitly destructive, in Alison wrecking the playground and inadvertently killing a doctor while she quips at a robot.

I think that is the point of her being a firefighter now - its a role that is explicitly not about intervening with people in violence but responding to reduce damage and injury as much as possible. But she has never apparently considered applying her potential to that role fully. If she is devoting time as a volunteer fire fighter, surely she could use that same time and save much more people as a hero.

Flesh Forge posted:

Maybe the author just chooses not to do this because that's basically The Samaritan from Astro City. I wouldn't mind seeing her do this kind of thing though.
That's true; I don't think she has to succeed at it, though, it would have just been interesting to see her really engage with 'can I save more people with superstrength than I have been doing', even if the answer is 'that doesn't work'. I mean, Alison is strong and invulnerable but she isn't super fast. It would have been interesting for her to decide to be Samaritan, and then for it to turn out that she isn't particularly useful because flying a bunch of heavy equipment to a disaster is as quick as her getting there, for instance.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

She could probably do a lot of good just by walking into private meetings, sitting down in a corner, saying "Don't mind me, I'm just observing. Please continue." and smiling encouragingly.

The tricky bit would be figuring out which meetings to observe.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
her purpose will become clear in the next chapter "man of kleenex" in which she degloves clevin with her labia and the guilt and shame force her to join a convent

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I'd be okay with that :shrug:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ashcans posted:

If you're forgiving, the idea is that Feral made a deliberate choice to turn away from the violent aspect of her biodynamism, and instead worked out how she could apply it in the way that most directly helped people, and then dialed that up to its limit. The choice and the result was dramatic/horrifying enough that it has jarred Alison into trying to find some way to match it. She was already disillusioned with being a conventional hero, but had sort of given up and decided to be a normal person - Feral's choice convinced her that she had a moral responsibility to leverage her abilities as much as possible to help people, but she has no idea how to actually do it. Feral strategy, while shocking, was actually pretty straight forward- she's just using her remarkable healing to heal other people. Alison doesn't see such a clear path for herself, so she's milling around in university trying to work out what being good means, and how to do it. Right now, she has decided that than her physical strength, she can use her fame and fortune to drive an organization to help people in domestic violence situations.

so, feral wanted to do good in a different way, but then alison (the dumb bitch she is) thought "what?? helping people by not murdering them? what is this" and made feral's choice for her

good comic

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
This comic stars the wrong philosophy student named Alison-something.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

So he's some sort of nefarious plant/agent/supervillian?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Stormgale posted:

He's obviously the leader of a race of cat men. Look at how ridiculous his eyes look.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Stormgale posted:

I think what they're getting at is he has some incredible superpower, he just never did anything with it. Which is an interesting take (what if Spider-man actually committed to "Spider-man no more!", and indeed never gave a drat in the first place), but the problem is the comic's going way out of its way not to give any context to this scene other than "Alison wanted something and didn't get it".

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Hmm, I think this is probably going somewhere pretty good.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
Being given pretty much no clue what Allison is talking about really kills the dramatic tension in this scene, I think.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I agree. Sometimes you can jump into the middle of a narrative/scene and use it as a good way to engage readers curiosity, but you have to do it well otherwise it just makes it confusing to try and parse what is happening.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I don't mind that, and in fact it might end up making me forgive how Max was initially shown as a ridiculous caricature of a human being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
So he's got some powers that could help other people, but he chooses not to use them for an altruistic purpose? Truly he is the man who loves his life. He is the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values.

• Locked thread