Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Full Forza, everything about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I like (or liked, haven't played any since 4) Forza but its impact on sim racing on the pc will be exactly zero.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GhostDog posted:

The Crew is free if you care to log into your UPlay account.

Have they made the manual transmission option on gamepads not retarded?

Last time I played, if you were using a wheel with a H-pattern stick you could shift between any gears as quickly as you could move the stick. If you were playing with a gamepad you could only upshift and downshift sequentially and it would apply an arbitrary delay based on some kind of leveling you've done in game. It also didn't queue those inputs, so tapping the button a few times in rapid succession only gets a single shift. This meant for example if you were in 5th coming up to a corner and wanted to drop to second quickly you were basically hosed, because you had to tap, wait for it to go to 4, tap, wait for 3, tap, wait for 2 where wheel users just went 5>2. I don't recall if automatic went direct or just downshifted faster, but either way playing manual on gamepad at a low level guaranteed you'd be the slow one either in to or out of every tight turn.

I bought the game within a month of release but I only put 2-3 hours in to it because of that.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, so if anyone has been hanging out to get DIRT Rally like I have been, the Steam version of it is currently 50% off on the Humble Store. (Which is $25USD for me/Australians, as the RRP for it online is $50USD instead of $60USD like the rest of the world, for whatever reason)
Apologies if posts like this aren't appreciated in this thread - just thought I should make the sale known, so people who have been wanting the game don't miss it like I nearly did (I actually just stumbled upon it, myself)

EDIT: Nearly 40GB, though! But once it's downloaded, I'm totally gonna go straight to Pikes Peak and win a rallydrive off a cliff :getin:

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 15, 2016

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

GhostDog posted:

I like (or liked, haven't played any since 4) Forza but its impact on sim racing on the pc will be exactly zero.

I play a lot of stupid airplane sims and players tend to gravitate towards whatever has the most activity regardless of how many thousands of dollars they invested in equipment so I wouldn't be surprised if some of the smaller sims drop out of the game after a couple of years or don't completely change their lineups.

In the long term I think its a good thing because car selection in most sims leans towards such exotic and expensive cars that they are unrelatable to most grassroots enthusiasts. So at the very least I hope to see more serious sims embrace more than the FRS or Evo down the line when it comes to low end vehicles.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Forza has a niche that no other PC sim delves into. That niche is "I want to put a nascar motor in this Civic."

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Gussying up a Dodge Challenger to look like a cop car, complete with bull bars on the front? That was great fun.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Forza has a niche that no other PC sim delves into. That niche is "I want to put a nascar motor in this Civic."

My favorite moment in Forza is when an acvw showed up. I slapped every single upgrade into that thing and immediately went to max out the top speed.

Cornering? Nah.

Also stuff like this.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
I have way more interest in horizon over plain forza, already have enough circut racing options as is.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Horizon is closer to arcade than sim in my experience.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Horizon is closer to arcade than sim in my experience.

Yeah but it is free roam, and i didnt fully hate the crew.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

OhsH posted:

I have way more interest in horizon over plain forza, already have enough circut racing options as is.

Basically this. I want to put a V8 in a Lotus Cortina as much as anyone but then I also want to ramp that Lotus off a cliff.

Also lol at any rF2 announcement being considered 'major'. I'd put money on it being the USF2000 car everyone already knows is coming because they've put it in promo shots.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Or another dev track no one gives a poo poo about

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
i would love it if literally one developer at Turn 10 would raise their hand in a meeting and say "hey, maybe our career mode should be a little more ambitious than just a checklist of races for the player to complete". Gran Turismo has been out for what, almost 20 years now? and Forza still can't cobble together a career mode that isn't a horrible piece of poo poo? you don't even have to tune your car, all you have to do is click a button and *boop* your car can race in practically every series.

Forza is currently blowing GT out of the water thanks to the Horizon series but god, I can't get over how loving awful Forza 5 and 6 were. ooh wow, laser scanned tracks and weather patterns!!!!! cool, now make the loving game worth playing

EDIT: actually, the Infection gamemode in Forza 6 is just about the only thing I genuinely enjoy. that, and racing a Miata at Lime Rock Park, but only because I've done it in real life so it's cool to do again in a video game

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Thief posted:

I play a lot of stupid airplane sims and players tend to gravitate towards whatever has the most activity regardless of how many thousands of dollars they invested in equipment so I wouldn't be surprised if some of the smaller sims drop out of the game after a couple of years or don't completely change their lineups.

In the long term I think its a good thing because car selection in most sims leans towards such exotic and expensive cars that they are unrelatable to most grassroots enthusiasts. So at the very least I hope to see more serious sims embrace more than the FRS or Evo down the line when it comes to low end vehicles.

I'd be happy for someone to shake up things, I don't think MS is to be the one to do that. We few idiots with our toy wheels aren't even a blip on the radar when it comes to the market sizes MS is looking for when it publishes are first party game. Wheel support and FFB is probably gonna be sub-par. No dedicated servers. Not modable. You're lucky if you even get a FOV slider. It's probably gonna sell more than all the sims in the OP combined, and most sim racers might even buy and play it (if they're not too busy bitching about "consolised arcade poo poo"), nobody's gonna use it for their actual sim racing though.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Forza 6 ruins itself with spins.

Remember the turismo experience where you take a lovely banger and slowly tune it up until you begrudgingly move on to better things because dammit you love that lovely punto?

Forza 6 just throws cars and money at you. I got some mclaren thing after my 3rd race, and then a lotus f1 car shortly after that. If you start a season and buy a car at the start it just hands you a car pre tuned and modded for that season, which led me to believe seasons were all designed for stock racers when any modding took me over the league limit. (Infuriatingly league perfomance limits aren't posted anywhere clearly). I don't think I ever used one of my cars in more than 2 series.

I can't say I get it. A sense of ownership and customisation.of your garage is the big thing that differentiates the console style simracers from the pc ones and it just throws all that garage cham out the window. It's got free race if you want to try a shiny car.

Also there's no qualifying in career and it just sits you towards the back of the pack, which means keeping the Ai set to relatively low skill and overtaking constantly to get the mandatory podiums, rather than having a close race with the leaders throughout.

Ugh. The career sucks. Doubly so because the driving itself is huge fun, particularly the terrifying pooled water.

Horizon is a wonderful car holiday though and you should buy it.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

So ISI and a company in the Netherlands are forming a new company, Studio 397, to take over rF2's development. They've announced an updated interface and a new DX11 engine with VR support (release date unknown) and an increased frequency of car/track releases.

http://www.bsimracing.com/rfactor-2-moves-to-a-new-company-welcome-studio397/

Sounds pretty cool, maybe they'll reconsider the whole multiplayer pass thing while they're at it.

Eyud fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Sep 16, 2016

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Well at least they realized that measures had to be taken. Let's see if it works out. I played some rF2 yesterday and was struck again by how much I like the driving in that game, and how much I would like to play it more if everything else wasn't so disappointing.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Yeah, the physics and feedback and dynamic track and AI are all IMO the best around, but I hardly ever actually play it. Other games just have way more interesting content, or people actually playing online.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
rF2 is an incredible driving experience, but good god development has been glacial, so this is good news

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

That is pretty much the best possible news for rF2. There are cars I really love driving in that game but maybe 3-4 total tracks I actually want to drive them on. If they actually put some effort into releasing more tracks I want to race on I might end up spending more time in there.

E: I read up on the other company and I actually know them, Luminis are the company that have done most of the programming work on Automobilista so I know they're capable of great things. I'd assume the ISI side would still be responsible for content but Luminis will be doing all the work on the engine etc. Actually very optimistic for rF2 actually having a future now, though that online pass thing needs to go.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 16, 2016

General RAARGH
Jan 24, 2003

armchair general
I also have rF2 installed but barely ever open it. Can you guys recommend some good car/track combinations in there?

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I remember having a lot of fun with the Megane Trophy on Sebring (a mod track but it's by Virtua_LM so it's quality).

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Karts are always a hoot. My usual stuff is Eve/Spark F1 or F3 on any of their historic tracks, including the Longford mod track.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

General RAARGH posted:

I also have rF2 installed but barely ever open it. Can you guys recommend some good car/track combinations in there?

Apex Modding GT3 is a must, VLM Sebring or Mid Ohio, Atlanta Motorsports Park, Toban (fictional but great layout)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Clio Cup at Mills is good, Mills another fictional but fun track. Their Interlagos (named Sao Paolo) was done by Reiza so that's solid as well. The BTCC Civic is another good car, as are the Nissan GT1 and GT4 cars.

BTCC is at Silverstone this weekend, so run that at Silverstone National if you want a really fun combo.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
Flat6 by Enduracers (aka Porsche Supercup) is another solid car. Actually, they are bringing their Endurance series pack to rF2 in the near future which should be awesome and has a ton of LMP2 and GT cars

e: The ISI Stock Car (NASCAR car) is great fun on a road course layout with a little setup tweaking

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

ShineDog posted:

Also there's no qualifying in career and it just sits you towards the back of the pack, which means keeping the Ai set to relatively low skill and overtaking constantly to get the mandatory podiums, rather than having a close race with the leaders throughout.

To be fair, I still find the game playable on Expert AI skill (which I believe is just under Unbeatable? could be wrong). But then again, if I can overtake a field of 15 cars in 3 laps with a car a few performance points under the class average....doesn't that say something about the game itself? Maybe I've just played so many racing games that even hard AI isn't a challenge, but I find the game to be piss easy even with most of the assists turned off. The tracks are great, the physics are great, the career mode sucks and online play isn't consistent enough to be worth devoting all your time to. Combine that with the fact that there's no real online progression system and everything just kind of sucks.

I miss Project Gotham Racing. Now there's a game that had real flair to it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

CactusWeasle posted:

Flat6 by Enduracers (aka Porsche Supercup) is another solid car. Actually, they are bringing their Endurance series pack to rF2 in the near future which should be awesome and has a ton of LMP2 and GT cars

e: The ISI Stock Car (NASCAR car) is great fun on a road course layout with a little setup tweaking

The Stock Car is cool on ovals, though the AI is lacking there. There's the V8Factor Supercars mod too which is really fun, there's a Group C mod out there as well which is amazing fun. This is why rF2 depresses me, there are so many great mods around but the track list is just so lacking.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Turdsdown Tom posted:

To be fair, I still find the game playable on Expert AI skill (which I believe is just under Unbeatable? could be wrong). But then again, if I can overtake a field of 15 cars in 3 laps with a car a few performance points under the class average....doesn't that say something about the game itself? Maybe I've just played so many racing games that even hard AI isn't a challenge, but I find the game to be piss easy even with most of the assists turned off. The tracks are great, the physics are great, the career mode sucks and online play isn't consistent enough to be worth devoting all your time to. Combine that with the fact that there's no real online progression system and everything just kind of sucks.

I miss Project Gotham Racing. Now there's a game that had real flair to it.

I can't remember the difficulty but that was my view. Even if the Ai could be made competitive you can't have good racing when you're inherently in the back or middle of the pack in short arcadey races. You've got a choice of gain a few places maybe vs constant overtaking.

It's such a weird stupid design choice all round.

And yes. Pgr is wonderful - I personally hold the forza horizon games to be very close to pgr in some ways - taking the edge off f6s physics makes for something wonderfully drifty and cool.

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 16, 2016

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Some interesting points clarified by Marcel on RD about what Studio 397 have with regards to rF2.

- Luminis owns Studio 397 completely, they aren't part of ISI.
- 397 owns rFactor 2 completely. The source code and IP are theirs. ISI now just licences rFactor 1.
- The rF2 content team all now work for 397.
- ISI officially has nothing to do with rFactor 2 from now on.
- New logo still horrific.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
I honestly thought the new logo was a cryptic tease of something. Nope, thats it :psyduck:

I guess only time will tell what this means for quantity & quality of releases. I'm a bit concerned quality of tracks in particular might fall in favour of less time = less costs or whatever.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
There's a long interview with Wheatley over at RD. Apparently they'll have more budget for licensing going forward, and they want to have more full series. They're also thinking about plugging the rF1 tire model in as a second option and basically create some kind of mod converter, which I think is a good idea to grow the user base. Of course the physics fetishists are already bitching about that, seeing as having a "less realistic" tire model makes it harder for them to pretend their hotlap times are things they could totally do in real life.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
:siren: Reminder

Next Event:

Don't forget to download the track, mate.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

njsykora posted:

- 397 owns rFactor 2 completely. The source code and IP are theirs. ISI now just licences rFactor 1.

That ... sure is a business model

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Helicon One posted:

That ... sure is a business model

Well ISI have other games too, they published Rogue System aka DCS in spaaaaace and they're working on a new racing game that isn't rF3, then they get their cut from rF2 sales and also rFPro which pretty much every professional simulator runs. The impression I get is that rF2 was never a priority and development has only ever slowed as time went on.

The rage over the rF1 tire model being added as a mod option is the most sim racing thing I've seen in a long time. That interview has some more interesting bits regarding how soon some of these new things are gonna be in. VR support is in an advanced state and will be in early 2017 though it'll be a bit rough until the new UI gets done. Also the 2016 USF2000 car from the Road To Indy should be out very soon. Having more full series feels like a similar deal to RaceRoom, though they seem to want the real world liveries as well. I'm hoping they spend a little time prettying up the older content once they have DX11 running because some of the LCDs and dashboards on older cars like the F2 car and GT3 Camaro are incredibly ugly.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
"The issue with rF2 never was it's tire model, in contrary. The issue with rF2 is the fast living pace people have nowadays."

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
In short, the cars which have the proper tire model implemented are incredible to drive with a good wheel. I couldnt give a poo poo if its realistic or whatever, its just great god drat fun

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

According to Marcel the official content will stay on the rF2 model, and modders can use it if they want, but the rF1 model will be an option if people want to use it. He namedrops Niels when saying that which is interesting given Marcel's links to Reiza and Niels having some cars in rF2.

E: Well now. The content may be coming faster than expected. According to the ISI forums Studio 397 have been working on the game for several weeks already so we'll likely be seeing their influence sooner rather than later. The Super GT car incidentally is a GT500 car (think more DTM than GT3 if you're unfamiliar).
https://twitter.com/LukasWirtz/status/777137111195590657

njsykora fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Sep 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I really thought people would be into SuperV8s at Bathurst, but I guess not.

Next week we're doing Formula V10.