Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
Eggs give you stardust? Holy poo poo I've never noticed. I thought it was just candy and XP.

e: way to start off a new page with my stupidity :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

If you didn't preorder a Pokemon Go Plus and you still think you want one, Gamestop's site lets you put in a hold request while the store is closed and they'll look for it when the store opens.

http://www.gamestop.com/accessories/pokemon-go-plus/131550

Click "Check Availability" and pick a store, and it'll ask you to pick a backup store as well, then when the store opens and the clerk gets around to it hopefully they'll actually hold one for you. Or they gently caress it up but at this point you weren't going to get one anyway.

Colonel Squish
Feb 18, 2012

The city I live in had ~8 gyms all st 52k for blue team. Turn back to 20k+ blue within a couple hours of toppling one. Luckily, the city I pass through on my commute has ~8 gyms that are 2k for various teams every time u drive through, so I cashed out for 6 yesterday and 8 today. Previously hadn't gotten more than 2 at a time...

2-day incubator woo

E: took about 40 extra minutes the first day, only about 25 on the second since the first day involved some 10-15k prestige gyms

Colonel Squish fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Sep 16, 2016

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

Prop Wash posted:

it doesn't get harder, it's just always rolling the dice, and for people that are limited by poke balls pidgeys are very low value and not worth the effort. This game is not won or lost on the basis of catching literally everything you see (it's won or lost on whether or not you happen to live in a big city)

no, the end game is catching every 12 and 25 candy evolve for lucky egg sprees. i dont even get up for normal poo poo anymore. mostly focusing on walking geo or karp and getting all the birds and worms to mash into XP paste.

Hrist posted:

I guess either gaining levels really does just gently caress the game (I'm just under 15 right now, saving the free lucky eggs for 20+), or I've just been pretty lucky all this time. :confused:

i started using eggs at 12. it only takes 8 gyms to buy an egg, and i find that easy enough to do over the 3-5 days it takes me to get enough ratbirdworm fodder to use the egg on anyway. my target is about 45-50 evolves per egg.

DrOgreface
Jun 22, 2013

His Evil Never Sleeps

Afgad posted:

Are you having trouble taking gyms or have no defenders for gyms? I mean, no vaporeon is bad, but stardust is an incredibly scarce resource.

It's more that I'm looking for a stardust worthy mon. I have two good maxed out Exeggutors (1 off and 1 def) a great maxed out Arcanine, a maxed out bad moveset Snorlax, and a maxed out aqua tail Vap. My Lapras buddy is not maxed out but the candy income is slow. Not sure what else to spend my dust on now.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Whole lotta people bitching that a level ~25 Pidgey/Weedle/whatever won't just hop into the first regular ball it sees (you know, the ones you start the game with). Can we just change the thread title to "bitching about RNG" and be done with it?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

kuroiXiru posted:

Eggs give you stardust? Holy poo poo I've never noticed. I thought it was just candy and XP.

e: way to start off a new page with my stupidity :downs:

eggs give you the most stardust of all, really. collecting on 10 gyms per day could probably net you more over the course of a week, but each 2k egg farts out between 400-1000, 5k eggs give ~1500, and 10k eggs give ~2500, in my experience. the 2k eggs give you the most bang for your incubator buck.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

Whole lotta people bitching that a level ~25 Pidgey/Weedle/whatever won't just hop into the first regular ball it sees (you know, the ones you start the game with). Can we just change the thread title to "bitching about RNG" and be done with it?

I just wish it would give you more low-level poo poo mons to catch. kinda frustrating when 4/5 pidgeys have light or dark orange rings

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

indigi posted:

I just wish it would give you more low-level poo poo mons to catch. kinda frustrating when 4/5 pidgeys have light or dark orange rings
Yeah, this is the thing, we don't want the level 25 Pidgeys and it's annoying to have to fail at them or waste valuable resources. They're going to be mulched up if I catch em anyway. It's further compounded by not being able to set ball choice for the Plus, since those fuckers will burn off your cheap balls and leave you with nothing. The only consolation is it helps thin your bag out but I could have just trashed them myself if I wanted to get nothing for it.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

indigi posted:

Of course it'd be best if the XP/stardust reward would be tied to a CP/level-based formula, and if, God forbid, you'd actually be awarded a portion of the total XP of the Nice/Great/Excellent catches the pokémon breaks out of at the end of the battle.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

CrashCat posted:

If you didn't preorder a Pokemon Go Plus and you still think you want one, Gamestop's site lets you put in a hold request while the store is closed and they'll look for it when the store opens.

Click "Check Availability" and pick a store, and it'll ask you to pick a backup store as well, then when the store opens and the clerk gets around to it hopefully they'll actually hold one for you. Or they gently caress it up but at this point you weren't going to get one anyway.
Just got the alert that the online part is now showing stock as well. So if you don't want to go into a store at all slam that button and wait for shipping

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

im not complaning about the pidgey insurgency at 20+. i said somewhere dozens of pages ago im glad that the 12 and 25 trashmon are in there with the eggs because it give you more reason to catch them, everything really.

so i just go stock up on balls and spend them all on rats, whatever. im happy that i can still climb XP mountain to 30 at an even pace by catching everything. we would be hosed if you only got worthwhile cap and evolve XP on rare and up poke or reduced XP for birdworms after 20.

Kimchi King
Aug 26, 2010

Mierenneuker posted:

By the way, here's a neat trick for 6000 prestige gyms. I imagine a lot of people already know it but it's worth repeating.

If you come across a gym with 6000 prestige and 3 defenders (the default state before any training or attacks) it goes like this:
- Round 1, defeat all 3, 1st defender gets knocked out.
- Round 2, defeat #2 and #3, 2nd defender gets knocked out.
- Round 3, defeat the 3rd defender, gym goes neutral.

Instead you could also do this:
= Round 1, defeat the 1st defender, flee the battle!
= Round 2, you defeat all 3, 1st defender gets knocked out.
= Round 3, defeat #2 and #3, gym goes neutral.

You basically fight the 1st defender twice instead of once, in exchange you fight the 3rd defender 2 times instead of 3 times. This does not work if the gym has more than 6000 prestige, since you earn exactly 6000 this way.

Thank you very much for posting this, I had no idea and will definitely save me time. This also explains why I see most gyms trained up to ~6500 exp to prevent this from happening.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I don't even go for rats anymore. they stopped being uber-common in my stomping grounds about a month ago, and the few I see aren't even worth the 2-5 pokeballs it'd take to catch. I fux only with pidgey, weedle, and caterpie, and also magikarp because I can catch 100 of those in about two hours at Penn's Landing

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
At my work I get dozens of rats, birds and worms spawning all day long and only throw for the 100 odd CP junk as they're much easier to catch. Not worth wasting balls on 250+ junk Pokemon, it's easier to hit up the low hanging fruit to stock up stardust and mass evolves.

e: oh huh a Seadra just spawned at work, weird.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

something I never knew but probably should have figured out much sooner: a 1600 Pidgeot with wing attack and hurricane is able to take down a ~2200 Exeggutor pretty easily as long as you dodge solar beam.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I catch all Rattatas because I'm working on the Youngster medal.

I gets lots of Pidgeys/Spearows/Weedles/Caterpies showing up on my desk at work, along with some water-types from the fountain outside (except Magikarp for some reason), and the occasional rare spawn (usually Squirtle).

Also, I still wish there was a gradually increasing bonus for catching new 'mons instead of the flat 500 XP bonus. Something like 100 times the number of Pokedex entries you've filled. So your 105th new Pokemon would give you a 10,500 XP bonus. It would help ease the progress past 20 a bit.

indigi posted:

something I never knew but probably should have figured out much sooner: a 1600 Pidgeot with wing attack and hurricane is able to take down a ~2200 Exeggutor pretty easily as long as you dodge solar beam.

Welcome to the wonderful world of type advantages! It's worth keeping a good Pidgeot around specifically for reasons like that.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Is the a site where you can see the tell of a charge attack or do you just dodge every attack? I normally just throw away potions so I don't bother dodging. Using a lower level attacker though saves time.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Afgad posted:

Are you having trouble taking gyms or have no defenders for gyms? I mean, no vaporeon is bad, but stardust is an incredibly scarce resource.

That's what's so frustrating about stardust, it's scarce but at the same time ubiquitous. I've always known not to spend it frivolously though I've seen other players who didn't realize it was scarce and blew it on sub optimal Pokemon. The only real stardust investments I've made so far are:

a 91% exeggutor with zen head butt / solar beam that I've had for a long time.

a 97% IV 1800 CP water pulse vaporeon to push it over 2000 so it'd be the highest in the gym (now it's the third highest and permanently lodged in a level 10 gym)

a 94% 1900 CP flareon with flamethrower that I leveled up to just over 2000 so it wouldn't be the lowest in an already stacked gym. It's still there.

a 97% starmie with water gun/ hydro pump that I stopped leveling up at level 25 (so it's 26.5)

Anyway, right now eevee candy is more of a limiting factor for me since most high CP revers run away after a raspberry great ball and I'm having difficulty justifying using a great ball on an eevee or making it my buddy.

As far as other stuff I could spend stardust on, right now it's just a 200CP snorlax with 89 or 91 IV and lick/hyper beam and an 1800 CP 93% IV exeggutor with confusion/seed bomb that would make a great defender and already has high CP.

I'll probably pump more into my two exeggutors regardless but I guess I'll wait until I run out of blue incubators to make my decision on who else to power up. Although all my highest CP vaporeons (no investment) now have water pulse and the rest are 1400-1600 range with aqua tail.

indigi posted:

Yeah a pidgeot with the right moveset is surprisingly good.

Pomplamoose fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 16, 2016

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Do dodge and type resistance stack? Or do you just take 25% of the base dmg from solar beam as pigeot? Wait flying > grass right

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Yeah a pidgeot with the right moveset is surprisingly good.

DizzyBum posted:

Welcome to the wonderful world of type advantages! It's worth keeping a good Pidgeot around specifically for reasons like that.

I knew it could dish it out, I just never expected it to be able to stand up to an <800CP Exeggutor, especially because they're so good at handing out dps. I figured since its basic moves are always psychic, Pidgeot wouldn't have enough of an advantage to overcome that disparity

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

CrashCat posted:

Thanks for posting this.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

DrOgreface posted:

It's more that I'm looking for a stardust worthy mon. I have two good maxed out Exeggutors (1 off and 1 def) a great maxed out Arcanine, a maxed out bad moveset Snorlax, and a maxed out aqua tail Vap. My Lapras buddy is not maxed out but the candy income is slow. Not sure what else to spend my dust on now.

Poliwrath with Bubble for defense. Bubble + Submission is probably the best, but all the specials are good. Scariest defender in the game, in my opinion. Why do I say this? Well, you can judge how effective a defender is by training against and observing for yourself how difficult the fight is.

My other favorites are Wigglytough with Pound/Hyper as an attacker. Clefairy with ZH/Dazzling Gleam is also a pretty mean defender. I don't have a Wiggly with Feint Attack/Dazzling Gleam, but I imagine that would also be a very frustrating fight to deal with.

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 16, 2016

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

indigi posted:

WA is just so nice. It hits really hard, and the best thing about it (for me), is that it's really easy to develop a dodge pattern with due to its speed. Pound is another attack that has like a perfect attack speed for me. Some fast moves are almost too fast, so you're straddling 2-3 attacks between dodges (or even 4). Pound and WA are always attack-attack-dodge and it works for almost anything.

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 16, 2016

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Jonesy posted:

Do dodge and type resistance stack? Or do you just take 25% of the base dmg from solar beam as pigeot? Wait flying > grass right

Flying is super-effective to grass, and Grass is not very effective to Flying, so it's in Pidgeot's favor both ways - less incoming damage and more outgoing damage.

And yes, dodging stacks with type effectiveness, so Pidgeot should only take a small chunk of damage from a properly dodged Solar Beam.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Oh, what the Hell, Amazon. I pre-ordered the Go+ back in June, and my order went from "We'll let you know when we have a shipping date" to "Arriving Tuesday, preparing to ship."

Now it's back in stock, and if I were to re-order it, they claim it'll arrive on Sunday. Guess I'll wait it out at this point.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Dahbadu posted:

Thanks for posting this.
If anyone missed out, Amazon just listed stock:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01H482N6E/?ie=UTF8&condition=all&tag=nisa-20&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Consider grabbing some CR2032 batteries while you're there since it uses those and they're dirt cheap on Amazon.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

PerniciousKnid posted:

The new buddy system seems cool as a way to get candy just by walking, which is the only thing I do because I don't care about winning gyms. If they figure out how to make the game work without keeping the screen on, I'll be all over it.

Yeah this is where we're at. I mean we'll still go walk around downtown and catch Eevees or whatever because Eevee is loving adorable but Gyms are simply something that we can't even interact with because we're lowly level 16s and my best Poke is a 1200 CP Vaporeon or something.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

CrashCat posted:

If anyone missed out, Amazon just listed stock:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01H482N6E/?ie=UTF8&condition=all&tag=nisa-20&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Consider grabbing some CR2032 batteries while you're there since it uses those and they're dirt cheap on Amazon.

Double thanks for this. Wish I could cancel my order from Gamestop, but it looks like they don't give such an option on the website.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

always so happy whenever there's an update that doesn't fix the first-pokeball-rocketing-to-the-Moon bug

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Dahbadu posted:

Double thanks for this. Wish I could cancel my order from Gamestop, but it looks like they don't give such an option on the website.
Depends on how far along the order is:

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/help/Change_Order.aspx

Got the thinger on my lunch break and it works fine. Only problem is there's no Pokestop around here and I'm way past out of regular balls. I guess I am going to end up trying to get the GPS cheat to work so I can "go" to the nearest one.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
https://twitter.com/PokemonGoApp/status/776832007779282945

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
Just caught a Wild Hypno during my lunch break today. I've only seen one wild Drowzee since I've started playing (I've hatched two)

Is there anything that can exploit Exeggutor's double Bug weakness or are none of the bug Pokemon in the game strong enough?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

It'll have to wait. I got GPS Joystick running and set at a Pokestop. I don't want to even breathe on the thing since Android frequently closes the joystick and resets the GPS. Gonna sit here and push my blue button and pretend I'm not an rear end in a top hat.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Weren't nests supposed to switch over to different spawns today? Anyone noticed anything yet?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Hadaka Apron posted:

Just caught a Wild Hypno during my lunch break today. I've only seen one wild Drowzee since I've started playing (I've hatched two)

Is there anything that can exploit Exeggutor's double Bug weakness or are none of the bug Pokemon in the game strong enough?

Parasect with Bug Bite might work out, but it's got low HP so you need to be on point with your dodges.

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO
Anyone else have fun assigning different buddies to see how huge the pokemon is? Arcanine looks ridiculous next to my trainer. Slowbro is my favorite.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

I hope this fixes the login issue too and isn't just a Go+ patch.

Oh god please end my very minor inconvenience.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Hadaka Apron posted:

Pundit and scythed assuming you have two big moves.

E: supposed to be pinsir and scyther but I'll leave it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
I bought a Pokémon go plus today and it is good. That is all.

• Locked thread