Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
hahaha, Jensen, Meteos, and Sneaky are in a game with Madlife playing support and Flame playing toplane right now.

I wonder who will win?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Sexpansion posted:

I don't really enjoy Overwatch (it's just TF2-like enough to make me want to play TF2 and not Overwatch) but I will probably watch it for the casting alone.

I don't understand competitive Overwatch. It seems like a casual fun-time game to me with pretty poor balance and is totally dominated by ultimate up-time, and I don't know how you could possibly spectate it without losing an large amount of the detail.

Top down perspective games have such an enormous advantage in watchability it's insane.

Counterstrike and Quake 3 seem to me like the only shooter games that have ever been good to watch, and it's generally because the games either start (Q3) or end (CS) in 1on1 or very few people converging on a point of action which is viewable.

A match of Overwatch is basically a clusterfuck from start to finish.

That said I'd still watch it if Doa/Monte casted it.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
sooo worlds got papasmithy. Kind of surprised he broke ranks since he consigned monte's screed before MSI

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

sooo worlds got papasmithy. Kind of surprised he broke ranks since he consigned monte's screed before MSI

It's possible that this year Riot offered to pay industry standard but Doa and Monte opted to do Overwatch instead. Which is going to sound completely insane but maybe they don't want to deal with the month worth of travel and nonsense just to get standard rate and want to get in on the ground floor of what might be the next big thing. Or maybe Papasmithy is a knob.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
https://twitter.com/PapaSmithy/status/776769109539172352

Seems like they gave him a respectable amount

Its possible that given Monte's recent suite of videos/content they chose not to invite him, but instead opened offers to Papasmithy and maybe Doa - I can maybe imagine Doa not going if Monte isn't though.

Either way Monte will be putting out a statement about it later today according to his twitter.

I'm more surprised that they have LS on the talent list. Not that his analysis is bad, but he seems like a very un-Riot sort.

e: Surprised Pulse is there too. I don't mind him but he seems kind of generally disliked.

PlaceholderPigeon fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Sep 16, 2016

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

It's a great result for us, though; he's an awesome caster.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Libertine posted:

I don't understand competitive Overwatch.

Yeah I have to echo basically all of this. I don't see how it's a good competitive game, but I'll give watching it a shot.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
finals casted by LS, pulse and phreak

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Lovechop posted:

Hopefully LS will only be on the analyst desk so we can hear about how Smeb is really like the protagonist of some obscure anime.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Libertine posted:

I don't understand competitive Overwatch. It seems like a casual fun-time game to me with pretty poor balance and is totally dominated by ultimate up-time, and I don't know how you could possibly spectate it without losing an large amount of the detail.

Those are the two biggest problems with the game professionally. The maps are not at all designed with spectators in mind, and the majority of ultimates are way too impactful. Like, imagine if every ult in League was a lategame farmed Orianna ult and you get a basic understanding of how ult-focused every single teamfight is.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Lovechop posted:

phreak would do an offensive gay joke and get fired

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
As I surmised, Monte was not invited, and Doa was but he declined

Sexpansion posted:

Hopefully LS will only be on the analyst desk so we can hear about how Smeb is really like the protagonist of some obscure anime.

I like the way LS is able to go into depth about the mechanical/execution nuances of the game. He seems to have good insight into that aspect, and it could be worthwhile to have him on the desk to break down some plays. (as long as he does it presentably).

Post Alone
Mar 29, 2010

Lovechop posted:

Truly the casters we deserve.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

I like the way LS is able to go into depth about the mechanical/execution nuances of the game. He seems to have good insight into that aspect, and it could be worthwhile to have him on the desk to break down some plays. (as long as he does it presentably).

agreed, good insight. much like Piccolo (ピッコロ / Pikkoro) in episode 2F09 of Dragonball Z (ドラゴンボールゼット Doragon Bōru Zetto)

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Killed By Death posted:

DoA and Monte are going to be casting an OGN Overwatch tournament during Worlds, so I guess that confirms they won't be there.

Does this mean they couldn't do any of the casting for Worlds or just the days it conflicts?

Also, I hope they could do casting on their own. Play Riot's stream on theirs and cast. While it wouldn't be as good still be better than anything else.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
https://twitter.com/MonteCristo/status/776798488050798594

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Kashuno posted:

Oh my god I need to watch this

Doa also casts the ogn hearthstone events but I don't think I've heard monte

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

This kind of irony look at me pretending to be a jerkoff stuff is less funny to me when the author is a known jerkoff.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Would Monte even have gone if Riot had invited him and paid him what he wanted? Feels like he wouldn't have outside of a groveling apology from Riot.

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 16, 2016

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

exethan posted:

phreak would do an offensive gay joke and get fired

Anything that gets Phreak fired is fine by me

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/MonteCristo/status/776806538019151872
https://twitter.com/MonteCristo/status/776812253689421825

Looks like once he starts casting OW Monte is completely done with League

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Nice to see Forskurin(sp?) finally get asked for a riot international event she has definitely improved a lot. Not Jatt/Deficio/Monte level but still good.

Papasmithy also finally at a big tournament he has been doing this for so long and great analyst on both LPL/LCK.

LS is kinda weird to see because he does make good content but he seems to only know about LCK like he literally knows nothing about the other regions. If u watch his group draw reactions he was very adamant about not having watched the other regions. I am sure he will watch the other teams for worlds prep or whatever.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
I'm normally the kind of person who will throw a chair out the window at the mention of an anime reference, but LS is literally the single best analyst in the world so having him break down stuff, especially teamfights and 1v1s, at worlds, will be great.

Yuran M. Bazil
Jun 20, 2008

Epicskillshot is streaming S1 Worlds and having never played or watched competitive back then it's pretty great. Doublelift is a support, I can only recognise about half the champs from thumbnails, and TheRainMan is playing Teemo for TSM.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqWLomZoKOk

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Doublelift used to be famous for his Garen

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

imo Monte is being somewhat delusional with that second tweet. I cannot think of a single commentator that people truly tune in for across games (outside of maybe the fighting game community, which operates differently to esports). Like how many people followed Joe Miller and Deman that weren't already watching CS?

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
it's cool that regi has sucked on TF since season 1

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

I highly doubt he'll completely stop casting league, but who knows.

quote:

Nice to see Forskurin(sp?) finally get asked for a riot international event she has definitely improved a lot.

Yeah I meant to mention this as well, I love Frosk and I'm glad she'll be at worlds.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
Sahm-sung are going for the Kah-jix comp here

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
(in extremely LS voice) Sahm-sung Bung.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Yuran M. Bazil posted:

Epicskillshot is streaming S1 Worlds and having never played or watched competitive back then it's pretty great. Doublelift is a support, I can only recognise about half the champs from thumbnails, and TheRainMan is playing Teemo for TSM.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqWLomZoKOk

Dan Dinh, that's Regi's brother right?

I remember old videos of Doublelift playing Blitz and Poppy, and they're pretty much what got me interested in the game in the first place.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
I can only remember frosk by the quote 'tristana's child bearing hips'

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Monte leaving league to go cast Overwatch for the 1 year it will be popular would be funny. I tried to watch an OW pro match and it was impossible.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Do you think Riot realizes that they are killing the golden goose?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I was watching the new episode of Beyond the Rift with Qtpie/Scarra/IWD. IWD said when he watched the POV streams of LPL games some players started FF votes after they lost a teamfight and half the team declined lol. Thats just so funny I never thought pro teams would start ff votes unless they talked about it. China is such a poo poo show but its hilarious at the same time.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Ulio posted:

I was watching the new episode of Beyond the Rift with Qtpie/Scarra/IWD. IWD said when he watched the POV streams of LPL games some players started FF votes after they lost a teamfight and half the team declined lol. Thats just so funny I never thought pro teams would start ff votes unless they talked about it. China is such a poo poo show but its hilarious at the same time.

China might have the most ff's out of any region. Invictus Gaming surrendered on the very first game of Worlds S5

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Montecristo is the eight year old who is mad at their parents and threatens to hold their breath till they die: "you'll be sorry when i'm dead!!!!"

i never got why everyone loves LS so much, i watched one of his coaching videos where he was hyper focused on micro that literally nobody in the world would be able to pull off, just hindsight of saying you need to be 1 pixel over here. that doesn't help anyone.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Captain Lavender posted:

Dan Dinh, that's Regi's brother right?

I remember old videos of Doublelift playing Blitz and Poppy, and they're pretty much what got me interested in the game in the first place.
The original Doublelift Special was missing every hook until you get the one that wins the game.

Or landing every hook on their Alistar.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Overwatch, fun to play if you are tired of TF2, lovely to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calm
Apr 7, 2006

Ulio posted:

Nice to see Forskurin(sp?) finally get asked for a riot international event she has definitely improved a lot. Not Jatt/Deficio/Monte level but still good.

Hope she's improved "a ton" as you say. I've turned off audio for games she cast in the past not because of her voice, but because her analysis was so completely wrong / focused on the unimportant parts of the game while missing big events or causes to the current state of the game. I'll remain cautiously disappointed in this news until she proves otherwise.

• Locked thread