Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tired Moritz posted:

Does it not? Isn't it like how movies with twist endings would be all "please don't spoil the endings to people who haven't seen it yet. thank you."

Whenever this happens with movies it usually makes me suspicious and those suspicions are usually proven right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Huh. I spotted a copy of SMT4:A sitting on the shelf of my local game store. Guess they broke street date.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

Huh. I spotted a copy of SMT4:A sitting on the shelf of my local game store. Guess they broke street date.

:( I have to wait til winter.

E: reviews for it are looking good so far

Destructoid 8.5/10
Gamespot 9/10

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Sep 16, 2016

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is SMT IV (not the new sequel) still the best starting point for this series? I only have a Wii U and 3DS but I don't mind emulating old fan translated games if it's worth it.

The dark philosophical religious theme and the twisted demon art design intrigues me.

I think it's a good place. Got me back into the series in a big way after having only played the devil survivor games beforehand.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

SMT 4 is a great starting point for SMT I think, just be aware that the series doesn't really do that most of the time anymore. Persona for better or worse is basically what the series is today.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Since Persona 3 came out, there have been

12 persona games, counting remakes
and 10 smt games, counting remakes

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'd say the 3DS remakes of Devil Survivor or SMTIV are good starting points. I got Overclocked after watching Persona 4 the Animation and was hooked.

Soul Hackers and Strange Journey aren't good starting points. Persona Q is Etrian Odyssey reskinned.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE is the only choice for Wii U, but it's fun and still has the battle system from SMT with physical attack types swapped out for Fire Emblem weapons.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Dehry posted:

Soul Hackers and Strange Journey aren't good starting points. Persona Q is Etrian Odyssey reskinned.

while i agree that SJ is not a good start point, it's definitely worth going back to visit once you're familiar with the series imo

p3/4 are probably the best jump-in points overall, nocturne does a pretty good job of handholding in the very beginning and isn't a bad choice either simply because its amazing (dont play hard starting out, the tutorial can kill you on hard lol)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

is it necessary that bad?

Yes. Copyright strikes against your account for a youtuber actually can cause people who monotize their videos a lot of problem. Like I don't actually monotize my videos and I had to do a loving stupid test on Youtube before I could even upload videos again. It's also entirely futile because it would take me ten seconds to upload my videos to another service if I cared enough to and anyone who wants to post the ending to the game cares more than I do.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 16, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah. If someone who monetized their videos and didn't know about atlus's ridiculous policies, they could easily screw themselves out of a lot of money. Hypothetically, if that person is a big enough youtuber for it to actually be their career, that's a massive problem. It's basically them getting screwed out of their livelihood for daring to upload video of a game they paid for.

And it's a completely empty gesture because you can google 'persona 5 spoilers' and know every major plot twist right this second if you want to.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
Actually almost all SMT games I've found are good

DDS and Strange Journey are the toughest that I've played so don't start there.

Persona 3 first time play through update: I really like it even though I'm not a huge fan of the over world/map music. Joined the swim team and just finished golden week.

Trying to do it without guides or walkthroughs but I feel like I'm missing something because I'm not meeting new people or finding opportunities to strengthen the s links with the two teammates i already have

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If you're playing P3 Vanilla, your team members don't really have many S.Links.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
Playing FES but I was stating to think that anyway.

Also I'm glad to know that TMS#FE is essentially a persona game so I don't feel too lost

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Waffleman_ posted:

And as a result most of them barely feel like characters! Poor Akihiko, man.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Waffleman_ posted:

Nah, it's just that all the boys get left out but not the girls, because the game needs that harem possibility I guess.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
A lot of the girl S.Links won't open up right away on a first playthrough.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

MrAristocrates posted:

Yeah, but it's kind of a double-edged sword in P4 where they all have S.Links. It makes them more realized as characters, but due to the nature of S.Links, their development happens independently of the plot.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't think that's necessarily a terrible thing, but also all the P4 characters feel much more fully realized even outside of their social links than loving Akihiko, not that it's some high bar.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
Thanks again

MrAristocrates posted:

I like him so far but he's not well enough to join my team yet

Also when do I get the dog. I hear there's a dog

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Akihiro does better if you talk to him when he's an NPC, he actually has a fair amount of dialogue and some funny lines. It's just that most people don't pay any attention to your dudes in the lounge at the end of the day for good reason especially since their dialogue repeats a bunch. Having defined social links forces that attention.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Persona 3 Platinum when :(
I mean P3P is almost amazing but doing half the original game through menus doesn't feel right.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

SylvainMustach posted:

Thanks again

I like him so far but he's not well enough to join my team yet

Also when do I get the dog. I hear there's a dog

Koromaru joins... I want to say the fifth full moon, but I might be wrong on that, its' been years.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't care about the menus, navigating P3 the old way sucked anyhow. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the only way they could get me to care about P3 again would be to remove the male route.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

ApplesandOranges posted:

Koromaru joins... I want to say the fifth full moon, but I might be wrong on that, its' been years.

8/8 so fifth or sixth full moon yeah

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
I think you get koromaru after aegis but I don't quite remember

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

here's my insanely hot take: koromaru is kind of dumb in a bad way

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

MrAristocrates posted:

here's my insanely hot take: koromaru is kind of dumb in a bad way

hmm

ur gonna have to explain this to me, a dumb idiot that liked and used koromaru the entirety i had him

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

like, yeah, it's funny that there's a dog on the team, but, like, why

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

MrAristocrates posted:

like, yeah, it's funny that there's a dog on the team, but, like, why

because the dog has a persona

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
Dogs are great and I'm excited

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

the Persona doesn't even evolve, Koromaru sux

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

MrAristocrates posted:

the Persona doesn't even evolve, Koromaru sux

doesn't need to, cerberus is cool

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Aigis is worse tho

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

When Aigis has hooves, it's "cute" and "my waifu." When I have hooves, I'm "Old Scratch" and "I challenge you to fiddles."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Morgana is Moradorable.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

Morgana is Moradorable.

Get the HELL outta here

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

ImpAtom posted:

Morgana is Moradorable.

Give me a screenshot RIGHT NOW

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Coughing Hobo posted:

Give me a screenshot RIGHT NOW

I will post it when I get home but when you are crafting at your desk at night she sits on the corner in the lounging 'human sit' position and it is adorable.

Animals with personas own, give us a game entirely of animals with personas.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Oh hey, there's a new volume of Kazuma Kaneko Works coming in November

http://personacentral.com/kazuma-kaneko-art-book-works-vol-4-announced-november-2016/

How hard would be to get a copy in the west?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Teddie: oh sensei I feel so empty what am I please help me find meaning in my existence
Morgana: AIGHT SHITLORDS LISSEN UP WE GONA MAKE MAD BANK