Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

VATS is useful for more than merely shooting enemies in slow-mo. Successful hits in VATS charge up the "critical meter" and critical hits are basically a super meter. It turns one of your attacks into a more damaging attack that never misses. Charge up your critical and you can then save it for killing a troublesome enemy's head at a distance.

Various other luck perks based around VATS and stuff help with annoying bullet-sponge enemies, like the Mysterious Stranger's chance to show up during VATS to instantly kill an enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

JawKnee posted:

man settlement gameplay is just loving milquetoast in this game. Oh no, something attacked your settlement and damaged it, because you couldn't be bothered to go help the idiots out! But don't worry, if you just don't go back for a while there won't actually be any damage, or anyone dead, or any consequences at all. You won't lose settlements period, if anything is damaged it costs very little to repair, and your ambulatory mannequin slave labourers will keep doing whatever no matter how miserable or unsafe where they are happens to be.

Maybe they could have had settlements that get attacked be occupied by dug-in enemies when you go back? But no. That would possibly be having penalties for your actions, can't have that in these games any longer.

This doesn't apply to Vault 88 for the record, because if it gets attacked and you don't deal with it, it can break the pre-installed massive water pump in the back that you can't fix.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Speedball posted:

VATS is useful for more than merely shooting enemies in slow-mo. Successful hits in VATS charge up the "critical meter" and critical hits are basically a super meter. It turns one of your attacks into a more damaging attack that never misses. Charge up your critical and you can then save it for killing a troublesome enemy's head at a distance.

Various other luck perks based around VATS and stuff help with annoying bullet-sponge enemies, like the Mysterious Stranger's chance to show up during VATS to instantly kill an enemy.

And if you focus on VATS getting all the perks, by level 40 you're motherfucking John Wick, headshot critting everything non stop.

Get the mod that makes the delay between VATS shots shorter, though.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.

Allen Wren posted:

This doesn't apply to Vault 88 for the record, because if it gets attacked and you don't deal with it, it can break the pre-installed massive water pump in the back that you can't fix.

Can't I just send out a dweller for some water chips?

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

SubponticatePoster posted:

I picked this up last weekend and have been enjoying it so far, no DLC yet but I'll most likely get it at some point. I never played any previous Fallout games and the OP is a bit light on actual gameplay so I have a few questions. Currently level 15 or so, doing a nice girl run. Lower strength (3), high INT, CHR, AGL. I've done Minutemen quests up to the point where I can retake the Castle but I've been loving around on side content. Also Codsworth thinks I'm the poo poo :3:

Any must-have perks? I've upped my weapon damage, Gun Nut, Science, and both hacking and lockpicking.
What are the advantages/disadvantages of joining different factions? Do I lock myself out of one by joining another (I just got asked to join BoS, will that screw up me being Minutemen General)?
I have a fair amount of settlements now. What's the easiest/best way to keep my minions settlers happy? All of them have enough of the basics.
Anything else I should keep in mind or look out for while wandering the world?

Here's a tip:

If you want to have lots of money, make water purifiers. Sanctuary is a good spot for this as it has lots of water. You can make enough water purifiers to have 150+ bottles of water appear in your workshop inventory every day, which you can sell for 1500 caps or whatever, depending on your charisma.

You have to clear all the purified water out of your workshop for the new water to appear, though. And you can't just sleep or sit in a chair to get the time to go by and the new water to appear, you have to actually spend time in game for this to happen.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Normally I have done the water purifier thing to destroy the economy and remove all semblance of challenge, so on my last playthrough I made myself a dummy that couldn't build them. This turned into my character making loads and loads of Jet to sell instead.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Carados posted:

Can't I just send out a dweller for some water chips?

Yeah but then he comes back and shoots you in the head.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I can't remember, does the Raider King stuff have any affect on the endgame? I assume it doesn't.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Basic Chunnel posted:

I can't remember, does the Raider King stuff have any affect on the endgame? I assume it doesn't.

Nope, sadly they didn't have quite enough resources to totally create a Raiders Destroy Institute ending.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

raiders would be the one faction to take it over

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

I picked this up last weekend and have been enjoying it so far, no DLC yet but I'll most likely get it at some point. I never played any previous Fallout games and the OP is a bit light on actual gameplay so I have a few questions. Currently level 15 or so, doing a nice girl run. Lower strength (3), high INT, CHR, AGL. I've done Minutemen quests up to the point where I can retake the Castle but I've been loving around on side content. Also Codsworth thinks I'm the poo poo :3:

Any must-have perks? I've upped my weapon damage, Gun Nut, Science, and both hacking and lockpicking.
What are the advantages/disadvantages of joining different factions? Do I lock myself out of one by joining another (I just got asked to join BoS, will that screw up me being Minutemen General)?
I have a fair amount of settlements now. What's the easiest/best way to keep my minions settlers happy? All of them have enough of the basics.
Anything else I should keep in mind or look out for while wandering the world?

The Minutemen are basically impossible to screw up no matter what you do. Even when I started raiding villages and murdering scores of settlers and Minutemen, I just got yelled at by Preston, who ended his tirade with, "but you're still the general so I'll still take your orders, you filthy murdering scum." Nothing you do will get you kicked out of the Minutemen.

Now guys, about the settlements: they actually can defend themselves if they're adequately armed. I made Starlight Drive-In my main base. I built a huge fuckoff concrete tower and the entire area around it is bristling with turrets. I also left several heavily armed companions there (and I'm seriously considering giving them power armor just because). It's also defended by Dogmeat, four highly powerful murderbots, and five high level deathclaws. Anything that attacks is instantly murdered. I've watched it happen and it's brutal. I don't even have time to shoot anything before it's all dead. When the place is attacked while I'm gone, it automatically neutralizes the threat without me having to go there.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I've finished the Nuka World questline now, and I'd kinda like to switch starlight drive-in to being occupied by the Operators instead of the Pack. I used tgm to let me put an operator flag down, but new recruits show up as pack, is there a console command I can use or am I boned?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

JawKnee posted:

raiders would be the one faction to take it over

hah, I could totally imagine the operators trying out the fancy courser coats while the pack is like 'make me a synth velociraptor or I'll shoot your whole family science-bitch'

Yes. A good ending.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

So I sorta killed all the Hubologists in Nuka-world. I put four fusion cores in the thing instead of the required three. I'm not sure what happens if you put three in there. I had four fusion cores and just mashed the button repeatedly and figured it was fine. It was fun watching their heads explode, though.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

...! posted:

The Minutemen are basically impossible to screw up no matter what you do. Even when I started raiding villages and murdering scores of settlers and Minutemen, I just got yelled at by Preston, who ended his tirade with, "but you're still the general so I'll still take your orders, you filthy murdering scum." Nothing you do will get you kicked out of the Minutemen.

This is by design, I'm sure.

Players are stupid and, if allowed to, would alienate all the factions to the point where the game was unwinnable, and then complain bitterly that they couldn't finish the game. So the developers made sure that one faction, the minutemen, couldn't be alienated. You can't kill them, and no matter what you do, you can always come back to them.

Also, the minutemen ending can be accomplished no matter how utterly terrible you are at videogames, because you don't even have to do anything. You can take the castle, defend the castle, and assault the institute, all without even shooting anyone. Preston and the gang will eventually kill everything themselves, all the player has to do is to not die.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Gonkish posted:

So I sorta killed all the Hubologists in Nuka-world. I put four fusion cores in the thing instead of the required three. I'm not sure what happens if you put three in there. I had four fusion cores and just mashed the button repeatedly and figured it was fine. It was fun watching their heads explode, though.

Now you have spacesuits of your very own, and a respawning supply of 'em too! Please note that the Cleansed may respawn his gibbed corpse back at his initial spawn where you were supposed to meet him, but all the Hubologists will come back fully-equipped.

Three just does the same thing, without death. And you get Alien Ammo instead of Gage's approval.

Anyone just said "gently caress you" and murdered Gage immediately after getting out of the Overboss-fight? Was wondering how survivable the Arena would be at low levels doing so.

Of course, then you just have to *leave*...

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Now you have spacesuits of your very own, and a respawning supply of 'em too! Please note that the Cleansed may respawn his gibbed corpse back at his initial spawn where you were supposed to meet him, but all the Hubologists will come back fully-equipped.

Three just does the same thing, without death. And you get Alien Ammo instead of Gage's approval.

Anyone just said "gently caress you" and murdered Gage immediately after getting out of the Overboss-fight? Was wondering how survivable the Arena would be at low levels doing so.

Of course, then you just have to *leave*...

When clearing out Nuka World I was able to sneak out the back of the 'main' park and then come back in beside the Nuka Cars building, I then snipped a bunch of people milling about in front and then a good portion of the rest of the raiders began funneling into check out all the fuss. They all ate a Nuka Nuke round and most of them died in one hit. Clearing out each of their home bases was the real challenge, everyone there does a ton of damage to you and you are in some very confined quarters with little cover. I was wearing that special suit of T-51f armour while doing this and had to repair the thing 3 or 4 times over before everyone was dead.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Thanks for the info, guys. I'm doing what I normally do with a new RPG, which is play nice and on normal level so I can see the most content and worry about the story instead of managing healing items, dying all the time and loving up questlines I don't know exist yet. The only two companions I have are Dogmeat and Codsworth. Haven't progressed the main story beyond getting out of the Vault and knowing I'm supposed to go to Diamond City.

I'm used to playing FPSs so I forget VATS exists all the time and just shoot poo poo. Found a Fat Man, a missile launcher (actually 2), and a Junk Jet. I don't usually wear my power armor unless I'm clearing out some big enemy stronghold as I don't have many power cores yet.

Well, here's a tip. Once you start progressing the plot, try not to get too distracted until it tells you to go to the Glowing Sea. There are a couple of companions who won't be set up for their perk/affinity quest until the plot gets to that point, and neither one tells you that in so many words, so you can just wonder why somebody hasn't hit max yet in 40 freakin' levels.

Maybe they've changed that.

Also assuming you've actually completed the first quest Preston gave you in Sanctuary, you could have asked him to come with at any time afterward, but judging by what you've said so far it seems like he's already set off to liberate the castle. He's set nonrecruitable for the duration of that so you can bring what help you'd like, and hopefully they've fixed the script bug where that flag wouldn't come off in the aftermath.

Also when the plot does tell you to go to the Glowing Sea, if you happen to find yourself back in Sanctuary Hills, try to reenact the prologue. Orient yourself appropriately on the door down to Vault 111, and then open your map and see what direction your arrow is pointing you.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

...! posted:

Now guys, about the settlements: they actually can defend themselves if they're adequately armed. I made Starlight Drive-In my main base. I built a huge fuckoff concrete tower and the entire area around it is bristling with turrets. I also left several heavily armed companions there (and I'm seriously considering giving them power armor just because). It's also defended by Dogmeat, four highly powerful murderbots, and five high level deathclaws. Anything that attacks is instantly murdered. I've watched it happen and it's brutal. I don't even have time to shoot anything before it's all dead. When the place is attacked while I'm gone, it automatically neutralizes the threat without me having to go there.

I have spammed most of my main settlements with turrets (all on top of buildings so they can't be melee'd). Most have anywhere between 80-120 defense. I give out mini guns and 1 round of ammo (because they never run out) to as many settlers as I can. I usually just zone in, watch a million rounds of ammo being poured into attackers, and then collect loot from dead raider/super mutant bodies. The funny thing is that if I don't zone in these same settlements will usually lose and I'll have to fix a bunch of stuff. So I guess just having me there provides the morale they need to get the job done.

* With the exception of Vault 88, I sometimes I can't find all the attackers and have to let RNG just do its thing.

TracerM17 fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 16, 2016

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

So what's available after you turn the power back on in Nuka World? I know about the following:

1: Bunker under the bottling plant with the Nuka Quantum Grenades.
2: Employee Area at Dry Rock Gulch (which you can get to without needing the power on but I don't know how you get out again) with the SCAV issue.

I'm not sure what else there is.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Gonkish posted:

So what's available after you turn the power back on in Nuka World? I know about the following:

1: Bunker under the bottling plant with the Nuka Quantum Grenades.
2: Employee Area at Dry Rock Gulch (which you can get to without needing the power on but I don't know how you get out again) with the SCAV issue.

I'm not sure what else there is.

Far as I know...

Several of the rides, including the roller coaster in Galactic Zone and all the ones in Kiddie Kingdom (though most of the KK ones can't be ridden).
The elevator to the space needle in Galactic Zone, containing the final Star Core.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Gonkish posted:

2. [...] don't know how you get out again

If you go to the rooftops there's an A/C thinger you can jump on to get back onto the wall. Not perfect, but it's a way.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

...! posted:

The Minutemen are basically impossible to screw up no matter what you do. Nothing you do will get you kicked out of the Minutemen.

Is there a mod that replaces Preston Garvey entirely with Yes Man because that dude had way more charisma

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Johnny Landmine posted:

Is there a mod that replaces Preston Garvey entirely with Yes Man because that dude had way more charisma

"You can't settle the wastes all by yourself!"

"I've got a man who says that yes, I can"

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Epic High Five posted:

"You can't settle the wastes all by yourself!"

"I've got a man who says that yes, I can"

"I'm going to help you kidnap so many people and replace them with Synths, whether I want to or not! Consider the Railroad forgotten, along with the projections that predict they'll be our biggest enemy!"

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Johnny Landmine posted:

"I'm going to help you kidnap so many people and replace them with Synths, whether I want to or not! Consider the Railroad forgotten, along with the projections that predict they'll be our biggest enemy!"

I fired up NV just the other day for nostalgia and god drat does the writing hold up.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Anyone that Doesn't love new Vegas I immediately dismiss their gaming opinions.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Fallout 4 is probably my favorite Fallout, with NV as a close second. It is definitely the one Ive put the most time in. Barring 1 & 2 just because they're very...old, and hard to get into most players by this point, I think 3, which I loved, is the hardest to get into because its shortcomings were improved so much in FNV and FO4 takes its strengths and just knocks it out of the park.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

cheesetriangles posted:

Anyone that Doesn't love new Vegas I immediately dismiss their gaming opinions.

NV was waaaay too restrictive to fulfill my explorer tendencies, yo.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Sep 16, 2016

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Orange Sunshine posted:

This is by design, I'm sure.

Players are stupid and, if allowed to, would alienate all the factions to the point where the game was unwinnable, and then complain bitterly that they couldn't finish the game. So the developers made sure that one faction, the minutemen, couldn't be alienated. You can't kill them, and no matter what you do, you can always come back to them.

Also, the minutemen ending can be accomplished no matter how utterly terrible you are at videogames, because you don't even have to do anything. You can take the castle, defend the castle, and assault the institute, all without even shooting anyone. Preston and the gang will eventually kill everything themselves, all the player has to do is to not die.

Of course good writers would simply have written an additional ending in which you're not allied with anyone.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

botany posted:

Of course good writers would simply have written an additional ending in which you're not allied with anyone.

Bethesda loves to make sure you're not actually an important person at all, but just get to observer important people do their thing

here's a somewhat whiny, occasionally shrilly histrionic british man to tell you (for 1.5 hours :lol:) about why Fallout 3 is trash, but more importantly it looks like Bethesda hasn't changed much. And why would they when people keep giving them money for making pretty looking incredibly shallow theme parks to run around in? (Nuka World being so appropriate as a final send-off)

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

TracerM17 posted:

I have spammed most of my main settlements with turrets (all on top of buildings so they can't be melee'd). Most have anywhere between 80-120 defense. I give out mini guns and 1 round of ammo (because they never run out) to as many settlers as I can. I usually just zone in, watch a million rounds of ammo being poured into attackers, and then collect loot from dead raider/super mutant bodies. The funny thing is that if I don't zone in these same settlements will usually lose and I'll have to fix a bunch of stuff. So I guess just having me there provides the morale they need to get the job done.

* With the exception of Vault 88, I sometimes I can't find all the attackers and have to let RNG just do its thing.

Vault 88, you have to check every goddamn nook and cranny for invaders - I think some don't actually spawn in until you get close to 'em, as I've had swarms that, when I found them, were just loitering around... in the Death Zone in front of about 20 heavy laser turrets. :supaburn: I've also had exactly *one* enemy who spawned in the University Point Pharmacy building, four feet from the exit door. :catstare: Haven't had many attacks of 88, but I end up clearing the front door (easy), then wandering by all my turret farms (annoying), and finally trudging down every single goddamn tunnel before finally clearing the attacks (gently caress you Bethesda).

Sanctuary, Super Mutant attacks have an annoying tendency to spawn Mutant Hounds underground or something, because I have to wander around *forever* until the last one or two finally show up (and get turret'd before I spot them). Spectacle Island, I have three turret farms - one on the house itself, one on the workshop/Mirelurk repeller shed, and one closer to the beach, halfway between the other two - and I still have to close distance before enemies spawn/are targeted.

Spectacle and Sanctuary are major Deathclaw preserves, though, so I actually end up doing less actually killing myself. poo poo, I actually had a Raider end up in the same house I have a Brahmin parked in, and I think the goddamn beef killed him. :clint:

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The reason people make games you personally find this tasteful is because they are well reviewed and make a poo poo ton of money.

I thought the Institute was a far more sympathetic group than Caesars Legion. Humanity is a burned up slum; as atheist ic scientists, we create souless robots to reclaim it.

They have the nicest quarters on Earth, most likely, and wouldn't have ever lost to the protagonist if the twist hadn't happened. The Legion is an rear end in a top hat with a cool backstory jacking off to Hegel.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

kill the institute.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

The Institute is infinitely more palatable than the Legion and that's what makes them even more disgusting than the Legion.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Golden Bee posted:

I thought the Institute was a far more sympathetic group than Caesars Legion.

Caesers Legion isn't supposed to be a group you sympathise with; as they are portrayed in New Vegas they are indefensibly evil. Likewise the institute, with it's slavery, needless FEV experiments, and xenophobic disdain for and indifference towards the suffering (at least some of which they, the institute, caused) of actual for reals humans living on the surface.

quote:

as atheist ic scientists, we create souless robots to reclaim it

this sentence is funny as hell

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

JawKnee posted:

Bethesda loves to make sure you're not actually an important person at all, but just get to observer important people do their thing

here's a somewhat whiny, occasionally shrilly histrionic british man to tell you (for 1.5 hours :lol:) about why Fallout 3 is trash, but more importantly it looks like Bethesda hasn't changed much. And why would they when people keep giving them money for making pretty looking incredibly shallow theme parks to run around in? (Nuka World being so appropriate as a final send-off)

lol this guy doesn't like the shallow theme park design of fallout 3 but absolutely loves no mans sky

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

"Hey I'm the father, and all the bad poo poo that you've heard we do and also seen us do actually isn't what were about. Ignore university point where we slaughtered every settler because we thought some tech was there. Also please ignore that time you ran into one of our synths trying to steal some random no names life for no reason. We only want whats best for humanity!"

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

2house2fly posted:

lol this guy doesn't like the shallow theme park design of fallout 3 but absolutely loves no mans sky

I've never played no mans sky and don't know anything about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Berke Negri posted:

The Institute is infinitely more palatable than the Legion and that's what makes them even more disgusting than the Legion.

Yeah, what they are is the embodiment of the "banality of evil." None of them go "mua ha ha, we're ruining lives and covering ourselves in blood!" A lot of them are just doing their jobs and willfully ignoring the damage they're doing.

The guy you talk to in SRB to reclaim the synths in Far Harbor is uncomfortable with himself and if you sardonically say that you're happy to re-enslave them he says "What? We're, uh, not enslaving them. We're just returning them to where they belong."

I'll give them one thing though: They're the only faction that seems to know how to use a goddamn vacuum cleaner...

• Locked thread