Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
well, it's got 0 prot so it can't expand at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
How do I deal with C'tis?

I'm trying to learn this game and ended up as EA Abyssia. I managed to get 19 provinces before all of the independents were gone but, now I am sharing a border with C'tis which is pushing my candles back and massing way more troops than I am. I'm using all of my income for a fire mage in the capitol and as many dudes with the axe+shield combo as I can at the forts near my border. I've got conjuration 6 and evocation 7 but, my mages seem to suck compared to all their lizard shits. The script I've been using is phoenix power -> falling fires x4 with stay behind troops. I've got a random warlock out wandering around harvesting blood slaves too.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Azuth0667 posted:

I'm trying to learn this game and ended up as EA Abyssia. I managed to get 19 provinces before all of the independents were gone but, now I am sharing a border with C'tis which is pushing my candles back and massing way more troops than I am. I'm using all of my income for a fire mage in the capitol and as many dudes with the axe+shield combo as I can at the forts near my border. I've got conjuration 6 and evocation 7 but, my mages seem to suck compared to all their lizard shits. The script I've been using is phoenix power -> falling fires x4 with stay behind troops. I've got a random warlock out wandering around harvesting blood slaves too.
Keep beating them up with Burning Ones. Don't stop until they're all dead. Summon lots of fire elementals if you went conj 6.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I haven't given up yet on this dumb Multiplayer LP thing. Part 19

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Azuth0667 posted:

Without knowing more info I would say stack as much reinvig on a big mage as you can (girdle of strength, boots), cast Firestorm, and try not to die to Rigor Mortis and farts while everything on the battlefield is incinerated.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Are you fighting a person or the AI?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

MF_James posted:

Yeah this is important. A person may actually use fire resistance to counter your everything. The AI probably won't (and tends to stack big armies full of chaff).

Oh also make sure to give your big mage an item to get from F4 to F5 (I think there's a hat or something) so they can cast firestorm.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

or cast pheonix power

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Annointed of Rhuax have F4 base and can Phoenix Power to 5. The fire boosting hat is good but 3 exhaustion is scary. Skull of Fire can be made for 5d5f if you've found the gems to empower someone.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

MF_James posted:

I started a game against the AI since I basically hadn't figured out the UI yet.

Fire elementals and burning ones seem to have pushed them back and their dumb fire vulnerable pretender has been killed so much I don't think it has any magic left. I've taken their capitol and half of their provinces but for some reason their candles are still pushing mine back.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
You probably have a :sad: domscore.

Blood sacrifice your slaves and build more temples (although Abysia is nearly always broke so I can understand if this is tricky!)

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Yeah I'm also ridiculously new, but all the guides say not to have a dom score less than 6, and preferably shoot for 8 or so.

(Or 9 if you want awe for an awake expander.)

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yeah I'm also ridiculously new, but all the guides say not to have a dom score less than 6, and preferably shoot for 8 or so.

Yeah, imo 8 is the good 'safe' level. Go 7 if you need a few extra points, or 9 if you're an awake expander that isn't Earthsnake. Only go 6 if you know you want to be spamming temples early on, and even then it's a risky strategy.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

jBrereton posted:

You probably have a :sad: domscore.

Blood sacrifice your slaves and build more temples (although Abysia is nearly always broke so I can understand if this is tricky!)

That would be why then, my sun snake thing only has a 6 dominion score. Burning ones really did turn the tide though they trashed all the loving lizard people. It allowed me to capture a bunch of provinces which solved my income problem. Killing the C'tiss moon titan pretender, spamming temples and capturing their capitol solved the candles problem.

Which leaves me with the fish people in Atlantis and the druids in Marverni. One of those two killed off the Kailasa so that's two enemy nations down.

Someone keeps using a ritual that adds +3 cold and kills a bunch of my population. The fish people have the most water so I assume its them and I want that to stop so I think saving to cast Astral Corruption is a good idea.

The Marverni have a massive army like 3x the size of myself and Atlantis which I'm not sure how to deal with just yet.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Lead out in cuffs posted:

It used to be that 6 was pretty much the absolute minimum that you could get away with but was still pushing it. If memory serves your dom rolls were basically (dom * 10)%. Now they're (50 + (dom * 5))% or something. You still want a high dom score obviously but going too low isn't death anymore.

Granted if you want to use your pretender for early expansion in person ( :black101: ) 9 or 10 is pretty much mandatory.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Azuth0667 posted:

The Marverni have a massive army like 3x the size of myself and Atlantis which I'm not sure how to deal with just yet.
Marv's armies are gigantic but they won't beat yours in a straight fight, and their slingers will just ping off your armour.

The danger of Marv in MP is people casting stuff like Gift of Heavens/Soul Slay with a million mages, but even then you have fire storm on Abysia and a thing called Rain of Stones (plus the less good Earthquake) on a few other nations that pretty much clears the battlefield of human mages and can be cast on turn 1 to really ruin their day.

Dom 6 is pretty reasonable on EA Abysia, you have blood sac to stop your dominion from dying out with just a bit of blood hunting, and your starting army is probably the best in the game relative to the other indies, so you can charge them at something that looks promising on turn 1 and almost certainly win.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

jBrereton posted:

Marv's armies are gigantic but they won't beat yours in a straight fight, and their slingers will just ping off your armour.

The danger of Marv in MP is people casting stuff like Gift of Heavens/Soul Slay with a million mages, but even then you have fire storm on Abysia and a thing called Rain of Stones (plus the less good Earthquake) on a few other nations that pretty much clears the battlefield of human mages and can be cast on turn 1 to really ruin their day.

Dom 6 is pretty reasonable on EA Abysia, you have blood sac to stop your dominion from dying out with just a bit of blood hunting, and your starting army is probably the best in the game relative to the other indies, so you can charge them at something that looks promising on turn 1 and almost certainly win.

Yeah that seems to be my experience. The AI sent 400 things at my 98 strong army and killed most of my army but their entire army was destroyed and all my leaders lived. How do I see who else has global enchantments or things they've cast on my provinces that I can dispel?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Azuth0667 posted:

Yeah that seems to be my experience. The AI sent 400 things at my 98 strong army and killed most of my army but their entire army was destroyed and all my leaders lived. How do I see who else has global enchantments or things they've cast on my provinces that I can dispel?

You can find globals in one of the tabs on the right hand of the screen. "i" will give you the history of a province which would show which events took place there. You only dispel globals the other ritual remote spells like Blight only take effect once. Some events do cause hidden units to appear in a province, like monster boar or cults, that need to be patrolled out using troops.

I don't remember you saying what your starting dom was but it definitely starts to crunch mid-game. The AI, and some players, love building temples early and frequently. Each temple produces 1 temple check per turn which adds up over time. Forting up to get more mages and a safe place for a temple (and sac in your case) is important.

I assume you are using a bless for your Burning Ones if you are recruiting them. They are extremely powerful but like every troop their importance diminishes are you get more research and mages take on a bigger role.

Your troops are there just to block for your mages and losing 1000 is a disaster. A Fire Storm caster could kill hundreds of troops and thosands of skeletons in a single fight where your other troops are long fatigued. Cast Fire Storm and Heat From Hell and hope the enemy doesn't have fire resist. Also start your blood sac if you haven't already.

Don't have more troops than you need but have enough to not get ownde.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

weapons of mass destruction is really bad https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IdE2hffjis

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Actually it is very good!

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I'm happy all artifacts are good now

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Thanks for the advice Abysia was victorious! I'm trying EA vanheim now any pointers?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Azuth0667 posted:

Thanks for the advice Abysia was victorious! I'm trying EA vanheim now any pointers?

Cast blessing.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Cast blessing.

What blessings should I go for?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Azuth0667 posted:

Fire or Water. Both have pros and cons, but I prefer fire. Earth might work on Vanheres too?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
If it's against AI then Earth and Nature, or Nature and Water.

edit: honestly you can do basically anything you want, your troops are so good you are just going to wreck them.

Washout fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Sep 17, 2016

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

jsoh posted:

weapons of mass destruction is really bad https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IdE2hffjis

i think you'll find +666 spell pen is good and balanced, friend

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

good news the guy went ai so cataclysm 2 is now a single player adventure

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Nothing to see here

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

jsoh posted:

As bad as not using the C key to see what's happening in the battle!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
:siren: My LP updated! :siren:

Yes, my half-assed Dominions 4 Multiplayer LP got two more episodes:

Part 20

Part 21

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Azuth0667 posted:

In order of effectiveness on vanhere:

Water and/or Nature
Earth / Blood
everything else

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Nuclearmonkee posted:

In order of effectiveness on vanhere:

Water and/or Nature
Earth / Blood
everything else

Well poo poo maybe that's my problem I've been spamming Vanjarls. Also what kind of tactics am I looking for these guys? I keep getting stomped by Caeleum and C'tis has shitloads of devils.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Azuth0667 posted:

Well poo poo maybe that's my problem I've been spamming Vanjarls. Also what kind of tactics am I looking for these guys? I keep getting stomped by Caeleum and C'tis has shitloads of devils.

get dom 8/9, poo poo out vanheres. Your mages are.... expensive so getting combat magic up takes a lot of money and time, I'd go with an imprisoned something or other, with W9 or N9, some decent scales for cash and maybe prod1, and use your chainsaws of death (vanhere) to get all the land you can, then keep using them to take everyone elses land. Your research goals are thunderstrike/storm, air elementals, and then I dunno I guess blood stuff?

Caelum is rough because of flyers with magik weapons, you'll need dudes set to guard commander so your commander doesn't get eaten, probably use stuff other than vanheres (cheap chaff guys) for that.

Vanhere are probably the most overpowered sacred in the game, I don't think any other sacred can stand toe to toe with them costwise. Maybe b9 jags since the vanhere kill themselves on the jags? I dunno.

*edit*

I forgot about mistform, you want mistform, it's very good at keeping your dudes alive. Once you get it, you can take 2 vanjarls (and nothing else), put them on the same square, have 1 cast bless, and both of them mistform and you can then take provinces that have just PD in them (aka they're Thugs)

MF_James fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 18, 2016

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Azuth0667 posted:

Take N9E9B9 and cast nothing but bless and defeat all newbies in on the field of honor.

Vanhere really are that dumb.

If you want to be less extreme just take N9 maybe with some E minor and do the same thing but without the economic pressure.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
The only thing you can gently caress up early with dual blessed Vanir is accidentally sneaking them rather than attacking with them.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

jBrereton posted:

The only thing you can gently caress up early with dual blessed Vanir is accidentally sneaking them rather than attacking with them.

Yeah this has me paranoid to double check all of them and make sure they are not sneaking.

Should I ignore the Vanjarls then and go back to Vanheres?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Vanhere need to be led by a priest to make the most out of them but yes they are by some distance the best recruitable sacreds of any era.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Azuth0667 posted:

Yeah this has me paranoid to double check all of them and make sure they are not sneaking.

Should I ignore the Vanjarls then and go back to Vanheres?

You expand in all directions with the vanhere + vanherse and use all of your expansion gold to put down more forts to make vanjarl. With that N9E4/6 bless a pair of them can generally kill small armies naked with mistform (alteration 3).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Azuth0667 posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3734584&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=20#post455538210

Tri-bless Van is absolutely insane.

• Locked thread