Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i think some of that has to do with the first of the three stories. i found the initial premise the least engaging of the three, compared with "meet an actual monster" and "boy this guy sure is an rear end in a top hat, huh?" so it wouldnt surprise me if a good percentage dropped it before it got interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
I actually quite liked Mell (possibly because he's kind of goony :shobon:) but idk about Nellie. She's probably the most stereotypically anime part of the game.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

house in fata morgana was good, so the people who recommended it have not made an enemy of me today

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

being better than g senjou isn't hard. I'm not super far but I can see it being better then Higurashi but it would need to become way better to touch umineko

umineko is untouchable but it was way better then higurashi, to update this

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

BTW: selling Norn9 and others to cover bills :smith:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788440

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

is steins gate worth 20 bones

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's worth more than that IMO.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I like it a whole heck of a lot. If you've already watched the anime though it doesn't really offer anything greatly new and you probably shouldn't get it unless you're a huge fan of the show.

If you haven't seen the show it is great.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Its real good

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

yeah

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008
Sortof a weird question, but would you guys know anything about what software is used to produce most visual novel openers? For example, something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXC-tvQdQzA

Where it's basically static images moving around the screen with flashy effects, not so much handdrawn animations like in traditional anime.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
You can do that sort of thing fairly easy with Premiere and/or After Effects. I assume whatever Apple's video editor is these days is capable of it too.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.
So is anyone playing Psycho Pass? I am...not really liking it. I will still play it (because I am bored) but I think the story is just not for me. I never watched the anime so I went into it completely blind and now I am learning that their society is run by a bunch of brains in jars. It just seems a little silly.

Also someone recommended Mystic Messenger (I think in the Vita thread) and this game is super crazy. I want to stop playing it but I also want to know where it is going with all this crazy.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Fru Fru posted:

So is anyone playing Psycho Pass? I am...not really liking it. I will still play it (because I am bored) but I think the story is just not for me. I never watched the anime so I went into it completely blind and now I am learning that their society is run by a bunch of brains in jars. It just seems a little silly.

The anime is really good and definitely worth watching.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

The anime is really good and definitely worth watching.

I had planned to watch it after I finish the game. I wasn't sure which order is better in terms of spoiling each other.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Fru Fru posted:

Also someone recommended Mystic Messenger (I think in the Vita thread) and this game is super crazy. I want to stop playing it but I also want to know where it is going with all this crazy.

MM doesn't make much sense even after I cleared all the routes. I can't recommend it since it's a huge pain to re-play due to the IAP and TL.

Fru Fru posted:

I had planned to watch it after I finish the game. I wasn't sure which order is better in terms of spoiling each other.

The P-P game is a side story independant of the S1 anime. There's the remake of S1 too if you want to see everything in 12 episodes too.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

Alder posted:

MM doesn't make much sense even after I cleared all the routes. I can't recommend it since it's a huge pain to re-play due to the IAP and TL.

The P-P game is a side story independant of the S1 anime. There's the remake of S1 too if you want to see everything in 12 episodes too.

Good to know on both counts.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Is that Root Letter game supposed to be any good?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I would imagine that the Psycho Pass game is the kind of thing that's only interesting if you've watched the anime.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Fru Fru posted:

That is a major plot point in the anime, so I guess you really gimped yourself by going with the VN first. Not sure why you'd do that, since the VN came out way after the anime.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

That is a major plot point in the anime, so I guess you really gimped yourself by going with the VN first. Not sure why you'd do that, since the VN came out way after the anime.

Probably because I never heard of the anime until the VN came out.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
that still doesn't really explain why you bought it

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Colonel posted:

This is the VN thread, where people who like VNs and play VNs post about VNs. "It's a game in a genre I like with a premise that sounds decent" is reason enough to buy a video game, IMO.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

The Colonel posted:

Because I like VNs. I am sorry you guys don't approve of my purchase.

If anything, I don't mind having the anime spoiled. I will probably still watch it. If I had done it the other way around then the game would have been spoiled. So I don't think there's any way to win.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Fru Fru posted:

If anything, I don't mind having the anime spoiled. I will probably still watch it. If I had done it the other way around then the game would have been spoiled. So I don't think there's any way to win.

The game is a side story with different characters, so it really wouldn't have been. I recommend putting your VN playthrough on hold and watching the show, it's on Crunchyroll in the US and Netflix in the UK.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Alder posted:

I have no idea if anything ever makes sense or not but I enjoyed my two weeks of being really gay "friends" with Jaehee

I think it's a better experience to play mostly in realtime though you wouldn't want to do that after one or two routes I guess

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 16, 2016

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, the Psycho Pass VN is a separate story from the anime with some different characters (but not entirely different), but it was also clearly designed to be played after watching the anime. The anime doesn't spoil it because it's a new story, but there are some things in the VN that will spoil events of the anime.

The VN is also apparently really short and not very good.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

visual novels based off anime and not the other way around are bad

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Raxivace posted:

Is that Root Letter game supposed to be any good?

I bought it, but I haven't actually started playing it, because all the review were quite negative. You probably shouldn't expect too much.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i saw the screenshot of the guy surrounded by a halo of pills and if i had more money and time i would have bought psycho-pass right there.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

i saw the screenshot of the guy surrounded by a halo of pills

That's me.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

visual novels based off anime and not the other way around are bad

Though I heard Toradora Portable was pretty decent.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Toradora was a light novel series first I think.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
True. I think actually most of the light novel to anime to VN conversions were pretty well-received.

Has anyone played the Harvest December series for 3DS? It's only $11 now on the eShop and I like the idea of a decently short (25-ish hours) VN in English on my 3DS.

Asperity
Jun 7, 2011
Harvest December's decent. Not the most exciting story, but it's a pleasant read, and I liked the art and music. It's fully linear, no choices, so be aware of that going in. Most disappointing thing to me was that there wasn't any image gallery or anything even after finishing the whole thing.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I'm phone posting and can't seem to Google and answer to this, but was Steins;Gate 0 delayed or something? I just checked my Amazon order to see if it was still coming on Friday and it's October 27th now.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Looks like Higurashi Chapter 4 is slated for a 10/7 release.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Seriously guys I really want to like Higurashi but when in the hell does anything actually happen? I've played the first chapter up to the picnic scene and not only is it twee boring nonsense but the main character and most of his friends are profoundly unlikeable. I keep hearing great things and I loved Steins;Gate despite a similarly slow-burn opening, but just nothing loving happens for hours and I am dying here.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Each chapter is maybe 9-10 hours long and the first one has the worst pacing of the lot with the most amount of inane buildup, you're probably looking at getting at least halfway or more before any of the crazy stuff starts to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I realize it's entirely subjective but I feel like I have to ask anyway, is it like S;G where even though most of the characters are awful the story ends up being strong enough to stand on its own (and in fact make some of the characters redeem themselves), or is it something I should put down if I'm finding it entirely grating and hope the snaggletoothed little monster girl gets thrown off a cliff.