Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.

Haifisch posted:

Every RF game has at least one eligible-seeming character you're unable to date for no apparent reason. It's the law.

I know, but it still bugs me. It's always the more interesting ones that are non-marryable too. Like ninja-mum in 3 or weapon-mum in 2 or divorced-mum in 1... I'm sensing a theme. All the MILMs (Mother I'd Like to Marry) aren't eligible, even if their husbands are dead or divorced or absent for years at a time.

And I would have much preferred to be able to go after Evelyn than Sofia in 4. (Points to three for not making Monica a eligible character though. YES I AM LOOKING AT YOU AMBER)

silversatyr fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Sep 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brerose
Jun 10, 2016

silversatyr posted:

And I would have much preferred to be able to go after Evelyn than Sofia in 4.

Yeah, but do you really want to cockblock Gaius?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Gaius cockblocks himself just fine though?

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.
I chose to marry Xiao in my game, but I will say Dolce as she was my original choice.

And I wonder if Raven ended up not marrying Micah if 4 is anything to go by?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Rastan Beeza posted:

I chose to marry Xiao in my game, but I will say Dolce as she was my original choice.

And I wonder if Raven ended up not marrying Micah if 4 is anything to go by?

There's some implications, but nothing too solid, so you can have whatever headcanon you like.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
I always wanted to marry Bado

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Master of the Duncspawn Taint

silversatyr posted:

I know, but it still bugs me. It's always the more interesting ones that are non-marryable too. Like ninja-mum in 3 or weapon-mum in 2 or divorced-mum in 1... I'm sensing a theme. All the MILMs (Mother I'd Like to Marry) aren't eligible, even if their husbands are dead or divorced or absent for years at a time.

And I would have much preferred to be able to go after Evelyn than Sofia in 4. (Points to three for not making Monica a eligible character though. YES I AM LOOKING AT YOU AMBER)

To be fair, for all the poo poo people give these games for having underage girls as marriage candidates the protagonists usually don't look much older. I mean Art here is what, 16 at best? And you want to marry him off to some woman presumably over twice his age.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I'm guessing Forte's brother Kiel would have been a bachelor if you picked a female character and he looks like he's maybe twelve, and in Frontier you had the twins who looked about the same age. Another character we haven't met yet has character design which I would describe as something else. Honestly, whoever designed the characters seems like the kind of person who has a stack of weird doujins just sitting in their office

Music Junkie
Sep 30, 2012

That's right, embrace the cute. Embrace it. You know you want to.
Kiel IS an eligible bachelor option in RF4 if you play as a female. I went for Arthur, though. I dunno why, I just liked him. Also, throwing my vote in for Margaret, gotta love a girl who's passionate about, well everything, really. God, I almost want to pick my game back up, except the dungeon I'm in is CONFUSING as hell and I am getting so lost, ugh.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Arthur is a sweetheart but is there honestly anyone who doesn't end up dating the furries

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

-->Eh.

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

Arthur is a sweetheart but is there honestly anyone who doesn't end up dating the furries

I wanted to go for Leon but I heard horror stories about his marriage event so settled for Dias who is so freakin cute it's not funny. I'm getting frustrated though since I cannot for the love of god trigger his main event. It's driving me to divorce and we're not even married yet!

I kinda wish I'd gone for Arthur now, since yeah, he's a cutie too.

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?

Truthkeeper posted:

You know, it suddenly occurs to me that the game never actually says she's an elf. She's got the pointy ears, so I just assumed, but I suppose she could just as easily be a female dwarf. But it's not very likely.

I think Dolce's actually a human, and the ears are just her Guardian leftovers, like Amber's Wings

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Lame. A human marrying a human? What's the world coming to?

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.

FicusArt posted:

I think Dolce's actually a human, and the ears are just her Guardian leftovers, like Amber's Wings

Oh good, I've been meaning to get around to talking about this.

Ambrosia is a butterfly.

Amber has wings and antennae.

Thunderbolt is a unicorn.

Dylas has tufted ears and a furry mane that may or may not be a part of his coat, I dunno.

Marionnetta is a puppet.

Dolce doesn't look like Marionnetta at all.

But Pico does.

Marionetta is controlled by a pair of gloved hands, and Dolce does wear gloves.

Now what does this have to do with Dolce's ears? Absolutely nothing. But Dolce is the point where the similarities between the guardians' human and monster forms starts to break down. And don't even get me started on Leon, we'll get to him soon.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

That art is pretty neat, but now I'm seeing knockoff Sheikah symbols on those gloves and I can't stop thinking about Bongo Bongo.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I guess it's just because bronze is a valid material and every single RPG designer is also obsessed with the Olympics for some reason?

You end up hitting the bullshit fantasy metals pretty quick if you restrict yourself to period-available metallurgy. (Silver strong enough to block a blow and gold sturdy enough to hold an edge are also bullshit fantasy metals but let's ignore that for now.)

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

-->Eh.

Glazius posted:

I guess it's just because bronze is a valid material and every single RPG designer is also obsessed with the Olympics for some reason?

You end up hitting the bullshit fantasy metals pretty quick if you restrict yourself to period-available metallurgy. (Silver strong enough to block a blow and gold sturdy enough to hold an edge are also bullshit fantasy metals but let's ignore that for now.)

I'm one of those game devs who consider the gold/silver conundrum and use it to mean that there's decoration on the weapon of that metal, meaning that calling it 'silver' or 'gold' works and the metal is still a part of the creation process for the weapon in question.

Well, that or the world the game is set in doesn't have the exact same material compounds as our world and thus gold and silver is different in everything except rarity and colour. >.>

Yeah, that's it. That's what it is...

(Hell, in one example I had low-tech society populate another planet. They named things as they had on Earth, but because of their lower tech they didn't understand that just because a certain mineral looked like gold didn't mean that it -was- gold or worked like gold. I mean, they knew when melting it that there was a difference but as far as they were concerned it wasn't as big a difference to denote a different name for the mineral. I got a bit too involved in the details of that game - never over-design guys! - and it never bore fruition, sadly. Sometimes it's really just okay to go 'this is gold and it's better than bronze' based on rarity than to try and excuse everything.)

silversatyr fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Sep 8, 2016

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Honestly at this point it's in the same vein of "why does a character's well-being always have to be referred to as HP?" Like sure you could call it DYCTBYD (damage you can take before you die) but HP is just such an ingrained video game term that pretty much anyone who has played a game before will know what it means so why bother calling it something that will confuse people just for the sake of being different? People just inherently know that bronze is less valuable than silver, and attaching crafting to that eases the burden of knowledge where you would otherwise be memorizing some weird hierarchy of obscure metals or pretend metals.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
I was running an experiment today in regards to farming wood and stone. If you have a perfectly leveled field (soil HP = 255), and plant it with trees (at least one per 2x2 patch or 18 in total though i did a full field and made them giant), you can get over 2400 wood per complete harvest. You can replenish it's health with compost, wilted grass (plow it in), and 2 other crops which I don't know if we have gotten yet (but should soon). If it takes less than an hour to clear 18 trees and then replenish the soil, It would be more efficient than using fallow land which gets about 1500 of each resource per hour using 3-4 fields and i think soil health/level affects that number as well.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Honestly at this point it's in the same vein of "why does a character's well-being always have to be referred to as HP?" Like sure you could call it DYCTBYD (damage you can take before you die) but HP is just such an ingrained video game term that pretty much anyone who has played a game before will know what it means so why bother calling it something that will confuse people just for the sake of being different? People just inherently know that bronze is less valuable than silver, and attaching crafting to that eases the burden of knowledge where you would otherwise be memorizing some weird hierarchy of obscure metals or pretend metals.
On the flip side you get games like Dwarf Fortress, where the metal system is detailed to the point of having to remember what's better for blunt vs edged weapons. Which is fine in DF, where excessive attention to detail is part of the charm, but wouldn't really work in other games.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Converting the next load of screenshots. I should really do this more often, rather than sitting on it until I have 6000 shots to sort through.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

People just inherently know that bronze is less valuable than silver, and attaching crafting to that eases the burden of knowledge where you would otherwise be memorizing some weird hierarchy of obscure metals or pretend metals.

Don't even get me started on the weird hierarchies of various crafting materials in this game.

I should do an infopost on crafting materials at some point. Well into act 2, once I can show off just how goofy some of this stuff gets.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

See Sign. See Sign Run. Run Sign Run

Having successfully obtained and placed two rune spheres, Art has earned himself some relaxation time. Or at least time to spend doing work besides dungeon delving. The end of summer is full of holidays anyway.

Also, this event is kinda shutting me down.

You will of course recall that I can’t take anybody involved with an ongoing event adventuring with me.

So instead, pets!

In order to fill up my Megaman barn, I need Megaman pets. Somebody suggested a wolf named Gospel earlier, and that was pretty much the whole reason I built this barn, but some things must come first.

I’m aware that Beat was a bird, but I can’t do poo poo with a robot bird. Beat the bee will at least drop honey for me every day, and Ventuswill knows I’m gonna need a lot of it. And since items from pets increase in level as their friendship increases, I’ll have a good source of level 10 honey soon enough.

Also because I failed miserably at wolf taming. You think maybe they don’t like seeds?

The ladies are certainly paying attention to my skill increases.

This is most certainly true. Any weapon upgraded with scrap metal + (as opposed to ordinary scrap metal) will do one damage per hit. There is only one situation in the game where this is useful.

Hmm?

Hey, Dolce?

"Don't tell me you forgot Art's name..."

Of course not. I'm not that irresponsible. However...

...?

I don't know how to explain it, exactly, but you... You just feel...kind of familiar to me.

Me?

Well, it could just be me. The evidence would suggest we have no prior connection to one another.

Realistically, this is probably her being able to sense that Art is an Earthmate. But it’s more fun to pretend that she’s trying to flirt with him, and doing a very poor job.

But more importantly, something terrible has happened in town!

GRAFITTI! The urban youth are moving in! Quick, pack up your womenfolk and move further out of town!

No, wait, that isn’t right.

So what the hell is going on?

But that’s enough mystery investigation, it’s time for another contest! One that I stand no reasonable chance of winning!

Also, I finally ground out enough crafting skill to make this scarf. It drastically cuts RP use, regardless of if you’re farming, fighting, or crafting. It says it’s a 50% decrease, but that’s just flat-out wrong, at least in regard to crafting. But it’s still a drastic decrease, and useful for upgrading using materials that are out of my league. Or making large batches of food or pharmaceuticals.

It isn’t quite enough to be able to make the next rank of fist weapon with all three of the best attack boosting items I can get, but I got close. I think I had to nix the chimera claws to make it work.

But I got it eventually, and upgraded it with the finest materials I had available.

But enough of that, it’s the Buddy Battle festival today. I get to pit two of my monsters in a tournament against monsters belonging to other villagers. Who don’t own farms, or monster barns… I have no idea where these monsters came from, I suspect they may be ringers.

I grabbed my Cluckadoodle and Buffamoo. They’ve been with me the longest, and are the highest leveled pets I have.

Mr. Volkanon, tell use the rules!

It’s a rather simple system. Last man standing takes each round. In the case of a tie, the team that did more damage seems to win.

Art’s cow and chicken vs. Kiel’s bird and squirrel.

This happens surprisingly often. Monster AI can sometimes be really bad.

They really didn’t. My cluckadoodle pretty much won that singlehandedly. Singlewingedly? Somethingly.

B-blue corner…?

Porcoline fields a tomato ghost and a walking pineapple. This team is much more threatening, magic users like the tomato ghost are generally very effective in the Buddy Battle.

There’s that stunningly brilliant AI again.

My cow and his tomato both got squashed.

But that chicken is a fighter.

Did he change their names because they lost, or did he just not care enough to remember their names in the first place?

And that brought us to the final round.

What? Black and white?!

She’s clearly trying to bribe her monsters, but still…

That is a pair of giants facing off against my farm animals. There’s a reason I said I wasn’t going to win this one. It’s called Lin Fa loving Cheats.

My boys are smart enough to run like hell.

It didn’t save them.

At least I got second place. No interesting prizes though.

The other downside is that I think the festival broke the event. Lots of dialogue, including stuff like festivals and birthdays, has higher priority than event dialogue. So I wasn’t able to progress the event today, or at all for like a week.

With the next fishing contest coming up in a few weeks, I decided to make a new pole and actually practice my fishing.

Sometimes a big shadow is a tuna or taimen worth thousands.

Sometimes it’s a salmon, almost worthless. Sometimes it’s a boot. Also, I have my doubts about one man with a fishing pole being able to hook and pull up a one meter fish from the shore.

They nerfed fishing hard after RF3, where it was completely loving broken. A dedicated player spending an entire in-game day at the fishing shack after maxing Carlos and Carmen’s friendships could earn millions.

Hey, whoa, I’m not into that kind of thing!

Whoa lady, look with your eyes, not your hands.

Screw this, Dolce is relatively normal and unlikely to molest me, I’m gonna give her a flower! So there!

I suppose Dolce is more likely to be the one being molested.

And then I remember that Pico has been haunting Dolce since she was born, and this suddenly gets a little creepier.

I had enough excess prince points to open a clothing shop, but I’m not gonna buy anything for a bit.

And then the Summer Harvest Festival arrived. I’m only sort of prepared, I didn’t have the best possible vegetable ready, but at least it’s in season.

Hmm, this is a seasonal crop! It's perfect for this contest! Hmm... It seems to have grown into a wonderful specimen. My, this grew beautifully!

Margaret is a sucker for a classical romance about Art and his turnip.

If she believes that then I have a lovely piece of property in the western plains I’d like to sell here.

No, of course not, I grow them because it builds character.

This is probably true.

Forte needs all the help she can get in the kitchen.

She ain’t talking about the twig and berries out in the field, if you know what I mean and I think you do.

Thus beating Amber and Vishnal, at 112 and 104 respectively. Mid level in-season crops can clinch it for now, later I’ll need to get fancy to have a chance.

These are an absurdly low droprate item from Marionetta. And absurdly out of my price range to just buy them while Arthur has them in stock. It’ll have to wait.

The secret to early game success in the shop. Curry. I made several batches of curry, made from carrots and potatoes with curry powder and rice, and then remade those into Curry Udon by cooking them again with flour and random herbs and crops I had around. As I mentioned earlier, adding an additional ingredient to a cooked dish makes it an arranged dish, vastly increasing its value when sold in the shop.

Vastly.

But that’s enough of my dreams of infinite money, what’s going on with this mysterious graffiti?

“These flowers are very pretty.”

That’s… complimentary.

I guess.

Do you have an idea who the culprit may be?

I think it might've been a ghost.

A ghost?!

Yeah. I saw the letters just kinda draw themselves.

Are you okay, Forte? You look really pale.

I-I'm perfectly fine, of course! Anyway, please leave this issue to me. I swear I'll find the one responsible for it.

Even if it's a ghost?

Well that’s curious. What’s going on elsewhere?

Dolce is apparently terrifying.

No, they’re loving terrified of you.

Everything they said is true, after all.

Would you stop worrying so much about me? It's patronizing, and I'm not a child any more.

Sorry...

And then a sign floated by. And I wish I could share the music that plays here… and I can, because I finally hunted down the full soundtrack.

Pico!

And then the sign zipped off.

Now where did she get to?

So the objective is to run around town chasing a sign!

Clorica is sleeping again.

Erm, Clorica?

No, I'm not asleep.

I, um, didn't say you were. Do you know if Forte heard yet? That the graffiti artist is a ghost.

A ghost?

Some people suspect it may be Pico...

O-oh, yes. That half-transparent girl who moved here recently.

Erm...yes.

She's only HALF-transparent, and doesn't look like a ghost. Thus, she's not a ghost. Ghosts, after all, do not exist. They are imaginary things that the mind conjures when scared---

I took you with me to a dungeon where we murdered several dozen ghosts. I captured one and put in a barn. Pico, who is definitely a ghost, has been living in this town for several days. You really don’t get to pretend there’s no such thing as ghosts.

Forte? Is something wrong?

G-g-ghost...

Everybody turns around, and of course the sign is gone. But then!

This sign is playing silly buggers with us. Continue chasing!

HEY!! ...But you do have a point. Ugh. Now I've just wasted effort. Talking to YOU.

What?!

Wha?!

You got a problem with that?

The sign popped in while she was talking.

Wait, that...

Hm?

... I see. This is your way of asking to die again, isn't it?

Y'know, she's actually a pretty interesting person.

Yeah.

Well, at least there’s one thing they can agree on. I tend to agree with them too.

But then we’re off chasing the sign again! This is why half the drat town is involved in this event.

What is your hurry?

R-running...*HUFF*...

I can see you were running with my own eyes, yes?

No... Have...*HUFF*...you seen a running...*HUFF*...sign...?

Signs are only signs if they hold still where all can see them.

...How can I help?

What? I didn't ask for any help.

Yes. It seems I was not asked to offer you help.

...Will you help me chase down that sign?

How?

Straying that far will snap her link to me, sending her to the afterlife.

...?

Ghosts cannot venture too far away from the one they are haunting. And the one Pico has chosen to haunt is me.

Ah, so that's what it is, yes? I see.

Oh, by the way...

Yes?

I...appreciate your help.

Hrm. It seems you do not easily speak what you feel.

I’m pretty certain we already knew this and didn’t need an extended event to teach it.

...Whatever.

By the way.

What...?

...DIE.

Interesting. It seems those words wrote themselves on the wall after the sign had left. What could that mean?

Curiouser and curiouser. The chase continues!

YEEP!

Pico?

There you are.

Uh-oh...

You will not escape me again.

And then the sign ran off again, with Dolce giving chase.

Erm...

"Ooh! You look so lovely when you are enraged, Dolly!"

YIKES!

The sign! It just went over that way...but you are still here!

"Oh, that. I simply threw the sign I had been carrying around, is all. And milady was kind enough to fall for it completely..."

One of very few cases of a character talking from off screen.

If you disappear...if I lose you, I don't know what I'll do!

"Dolly...! Don't you worry, milady! I'm right here for you!"

And then Pico exited, stage left.

Pico! Thank goodness!

"Milady! Milady! I've missed you, too!"

I know.

"Gah! I'm trapped! Well, I'm strangled is more like!!"

Don't worry. You're already dead so you can't die again.

"Oh...oh my...I see a field...A beautiful field of flowers..."

Now, I feel like we've become closer.

Yeah, she’s just as weird as everybody else here.

Yeah. I think just being around those two will make ghosts and stuff a lot less scary.

Oh, no. Ghosts are an entirely different matter. Ghosts do not exist, you see.

Of course they don’t Forte. Of course they don’t.

Meanwhile, a few feet to the left.

"Oh, you don't mean that, milady. It was cute and endearing. Don't you agree?"

Usually, I only mention the response to the choice I pick, but both responses here amuse me.

Option 1 “Yeah!”

Ah, I see. Is that your way of asking to die?

Option 2 “Utterly embarrassing.”

"Oh my. Does this mean you're volunteering to die?"

The two of them are more alike than first appearances might suggest.

NEXT TIME: Exploration, a probe into the Delirium Lave Ruins, another contest, and another event showing off how loving goofy these people are.

Current up to date vote count:
Amber 1
Clorica 1
Dolce 15
Forte 7
Margaret 15
Xiao Pai 2

We’ve still got a good chunk of act 1 left to cover, so make sure your voice is heard.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

-->Eh.
Damnit, fine. After seeing that event I'm changing from Xiao Pai to Dolce. There, you happy now? :grumblegrumble:

Music Junkie
Sep 30, 2012

That's right, embrace the cute. Embrace it. You know you want to.
I think I saw this event, and laughed entirely too hard at the time, but it is cute. Casting my vote for Margaret, however. You are more dedicated to forging than I was, I was trying to learn every drat recipe there was so I could make high level food and wander around dungeons with impunity.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Truthkeeper posted:

Now, I feel like we've become closer.

Uh oh, Dolce might be developing symptoms of a Persona protagonist. :tinfoil:

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
I probably like Forte the most (her "tough girl secretly afraid of ghosts" act is annoyingly cliche though, even if that's Rune Factory in a nutshell), but this is pretty much a race between two girls now, and I like Dolce enough to make for a good second. Too bad Venti isn't a possibility, even if it's becoming rather obvious why she isn't now that we've learned she's being killed by her vitamin deficiency, although the fact that she's got the form of a little girl hurts rather badly for an otherwise family-friendly game.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
There are also a few foods, (mostly grilled fish) that boost your max RP. Most of them don't increase it by very much, but there's one high-end drink that gives you a +25% boost and that can help a lot.

e: Also I forgot that all those stat boosts literally double if the food is high enough level, so extra fancy tea is crazy good.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 15, 2016

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
You could've grabbed a bird at the Water/Horse temple. He's not all that useful but he's there.

A tip with random monster recruits that I've been observing but haven't been able to explain. As you know, as long as you have some barn space, any monster at any level can join you. If a monster does not join you after several tries with depleting your inventory, get new items. They do not have to be different types, and for non-boss monsters, any junk will do. This has worked for me with several higher-level monsters that I have recruited in the past. I think part of the recruiting process involves a hidden value in each item that is not displayed and cannot be modified. Part of this is that I've observed that on some difficult recruits, I saw the same item in my inventory give me a 4th or 5th-size heart on different encounters of the same monster species, 3 or 4 times in a row. When I sold everything and scavenged more junk and tried again, I got different results and it usually worked.

Also remember to brush it 15 times (or until you stop seeing the gold note).

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

mastersord posted:

You could've grabbed a bird at the Water/Horse temple. He's not all that useful but he's there.

A tip with random monster recruits that I've been observing but haven't been able to explain. As you know, as long as you have some barn space, any monster at any level can join you. If a monster does not join you after several tries with depleting your inventory, get new items. They do not have to be different types, and for non-boss monsters, any junk will do. This has worked for me with several higher-level monsters that I have recruited in the past. I think part of the recruiting process involves a hidden value in each item that is not displayed and cannot be modified. Part of this is that I've observed that on some difficult recruits, I saw the same item in my inventory give me a 4th or 5th-size heart on different encounters of the same monster species, 3 or 4 times in a row. When I sold everything and scavenged more junk and tried again, I got different results and it usually worked.

Also remember to brush it 15 times (or until you stop seeing the gold note).

Yes, but as I established, what's a bird gonna do for me?

Nice to have some confirmation on my vague theory that brushing a monster makes it easier to tame. Every monster does have a preferred item for taming it, not just bosses, but it isn't that important on non-bosses compared to just spamming a stack of turnip seeds at them.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I think it's dependent on your level too. Like it's either impossible or really hard to recruit monsters way above your level. Had a tough time recruiting a specific one until I came back way later in the game for it, and got it to join me within a few tries.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
So how much is determined by monster AI, base stats, and skills vs how much they like you as far as that Buddy Battle goes?

Truthkeeper posted:

Well, it could just be me. The evidence would suggest we have no prior connection to one another.
---------
Mr. Volkanon, tell use the rules!
----------

-----------
A ghost?

Some people suspect it may be Pico...
-----------
a probe into the Delirium Lave Ruins,

Some typos and spots where the wrong image may have been used.

Zagglezig fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Sep 26, 2016

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I forget the name of the accessory, but there is one that when worn, increases how aggressive the AI gets, which can help in buddy battles. The monsters are fairly weak in the first year, but they'll just get stronger and stronger every year. I had a couple of boss monsters I sicced on the festival, so that can also help.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Changing my vote from Forte to Dolce, since she's more interesting than Margaret and actually stands a chance of winning.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, it is neat to see a festival you can't really win your first year. Even if your best competition is completely cheaty.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Glazius posted:

Well, it is neat to see a festival you can't really win your first year. Even if your best competition is completely cheaty.

If I had busted my rear end grinding a pair of more combat capable monsters (or caught some bosses and leveled them up), I probably could have done it. But yeah, compared to the other contests, the Buddy Battle takes actual work.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

It's possible to win all the festivals on your first year. Even if you do rescue Dylas before doing any of the fishing contests. Though you're gonna have to do really well, and are pretty much gonna have to soft reset a couple of times on the results if you did rescue Dylas. :argh:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The jerk won't even go easy on you if you marry him.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

He's still probably one of the best bachelors, if only because he doesn't like Doug, and for the most part Doug is legitimately a Huge rear end in a top hat.

God, the choice of bachelors in this game is dire.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
I would HIGHLY recommend you (and new players) grab the Death Moth(Ambrosia) and either Tsundere Horse(Thunderbolt) or The Puppet(Marionetta) if you're gonna use monsters, as soon as you can. I don't think we have access to giant crops yet, but you should be able to grab cake or pie from Porcoline which will work with The Puppet.

Also, sleeping seems to help randomize recruitment chances. If you try and fail to recruit something, reload the game and sleep for a day, save, and try again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
At least with a certain bachelor rear end in a top hat we have not met yet, you turn his rear end in a top hat shtick against him when married

• Locked thread