Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Patter Song posted:

In fairness, Nassim Nicholas Taleb isn't exactly "some rando."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nassim_Nicholas_Taleb

Oh, man, would love to see these two go at each other. Educated stupid each for a different reason. :munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Prof. Lurker posted:

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/ohio/

Someone explain how the polls matches up with his "polls only" forecast?
As was pointed out, it's the weights on the polls that give the forecast. Here they are in the order in which they're weighted, rather than by the poll date. Also, don't forget to expand the list at the bottom, there's a bunch more polls that are weighted as much as the ones displayed, but not immediately shown.

1) The PPP poll is great for Clinton because it shows a Clinton lead and it's from a pollster with a good track record.
2) The Quinnipiac poll is great for Trump because it shows a Trump lead and it's from a pollster with a good track record.
3) The Emerson poll is okay for Trump, and while it shows him ahead, his lead at less than 1%.
4) The YouGov poll is good for Clinton because it shows her up big but is from a lower-tier pollster.
5) The Survey Monkey poll is good for Trump because it shows Trump with a lead and because it is with a large sample, but is with registered voters, not likely voter.
6) The Monmouth poll is good for Clinton because it shows her ahead and is from a highly respected pollster, but has a small sample size.
7) The Marist poll is okay for Clinton because it shows a slight trend in her favor, but has the race tied overall
8a) The Ipsos poll is good for Clinton because not only shows a lead for Clinton, it also shows a trend towards Clinton from the previous poll, but is hampered by the really small sample size.
8b) The Google consumer surveys poll is good for Trump and shows Trump's lead holding over two polls.
9) The Gravis poll is good for Clinton because it shows her up slightly but is with registered voters, not likely voters.

Overall, it looks like it matches up with the odds they're showing. If we break the polls down into tiers, based on the weight they're assigned, I think it'll help show why their forecast says what it says.

Top tier: Trump 1 (Quinnipiac) / Clinton 1 (PPP)
Middle tier: Trump 1.5 (Emerson, Survey Monkey) / Clinton 1 (YouGov)
Lower tier: Trump 1 (Google Consumer Surveys) / Clinton 3.5 (Monmouth, Marist, Ipsos, Gravis)

I gave a half point for the Emerson and Marist polls because they're each essentially a tie with a minor edge to one side or the other. The two best polls say contradictory things, the middle tier polls are slightly in Trump's favor, with one poll on each side showing contradictory information, and one essentially in the middle with a slight Trump edge, and the lower tier polls being favorable to Cilnton.

The misleading part is, when it first loads, the default view displays ten polls, but four have very little impact on the overall percentages because they're superseded by newer polls from the same pollster, and three of those four polls are favorable to Trump. The remaining polls do favor Trump, but as soon as it is expanded, a bunch of Clinton-friendly polls show up.

Based on their model's assumptions of the ratings and weight of the polls, I think it's showing an accurate percentage. Whether their model is right is a whole separate discussion, all I'm saying is that the percentages they display are in line with the polls they display.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Sorry for the double-post, but I also want to point out just how many of those polls are on the absolute low end of the acceptable sample size. They're mostly less than 900 respondents, some quite a bit smaller than that, which means that they've all got a pretty big margin of error. It's not surprising, since most of them look to be part of a larger polling effort that is broken out by states. In Ohio, the Ipsos polls are a good example of how small sample sizes can produce some pretty big swings that probably aren't happening. For a really wacky example, look at New Hampshire, where that same Ipsos poll had around 150 respondents and showed a 15 point swing from Trump to Clinton from one survey to the next. Obviously, that's out of the ordinary even for a sample size that small, but I think it well illustrates the problems with the absence of large sample size polling.

Sai
Sep 20, 2004

from following taleb on twitter for like two weeks before it became too much id say hes weird as poo poo

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
today in truth bombs

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Tayter Swift posted:

today in truth bombs

Of course he had to stick to a two way race to make that point, because the number of people who vote with the two major parties vs third party is extremely important this year.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

When people hear "independent", they interpret it to mean "moderate" or someone who could be persuaded more easily to vote for one party or the other, but that's just not the case.

It's like the idea that Ohio, with it's status as a perennial swing state, has a lot more of those moderate, persuadable voters than the electorate at large, and that's not the case either. Ohio is a swing state because it's got roughly equal population of voters on each side and that has stayed pretty consistent over time.

Up until this election, I was one of those folks who liked to identify as independent, but who voted Democrat pretty reliably. Trump and the Republican reaction to him has pushed me to finally identify as Democrat, but that's essentially just a ratification of what I was already doing.

A lot of the folks that I talk with who identify as independents do so because they assume that someone who identifies as Democrat or Republican must vote party line 100% of the time or they identify that way as a protest against a subset of the policies of one party or the other, but when election time comes, it's clear which party represents their interests better, so they swallow their misgivings and vote as they usually do.

I think that Trump is capturing those independents at such a high rate simply because so many of them are independent because of their dissatisfaction with the two-party system in general and he's catching a lot of protest voters.

It'll be interesting to see if, after the debates, how that independent voter mix shakes out. Evidence suggests that Clinton is losing voters to third parties at a greater rate than Trump, and it'll be interesting to see how many of them stay with third parties if the election continues to tighten. This assumes that Trump's won all the independents that he's likely to win, and that his challenge is to win back those that identify as Republican but who have gone Democrat or third-party.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Tayter Swift posted:

today in truth bombs

some people say independents are good like the keys in Super Mario World but actually they're useless like the 1-ups in New Super Mario Bros.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Tayter Swift posted:

today in truth bombs

i've never heard of that brand of alcohol before

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Azathoth posted:

When people hear "independent", they interpret it to mean "moderate" or someone who could be persuaded more easily to vote for one party or the other, but that's just not the case.
It's been pretty well established for a while that the vast majority of "independents" are actually reliable voters for one party or another, they just like to call themselves independent because they like imagining themselves as sophisticated free-thinkers and not mindless party drones.

The notion that there's this huge excluded middle of moderate independent swing voters (who hate partisanship and want both parties to stop bickering and come together and attend to serious issues like The Deficit and Entitlement Reform) out there is a myth promulgated by the centrist third-way types who dominate elite political discourse.

You see a lot of this when events cause Party ID numbers to change sharply. Obama gets rolled in debt ceiling negotiations, the number of people identifying as Democrats goes down. Obama kills Bin Laden, the number of people saying they are Democrats skyrockets. It's just the same group of people giving different answers to the same question depending on how they feel about their party on any given day. The total number of Democratic voters remains the same, it's just a bunch of them slosh between identifying with the Dems and pretending to be above-it-all independents, depending on whether their team is doing well or not.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Tayter Swift posted:

today in truth bombs

can't believe this guy is single

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

FMguru posted:

It's been pretty well established for a while that the vast majority of "independents" are actually reliable voters for one party or another, they just like to call themselves independent because they like imagining themselves as sophisticated free-thinkers and not mindless party drones.

The notion that there's this huge excluded middle of moderate independent swing voters (who hate partisanship and want both parties to stop bickering and come together and attend to serious issues like The Deficit and Entitlement Reform) out there is a myth promulgated by the centrist third-way types who dominate elite political discourse.

You see a lot of this when events cause Party ID numbers to change sharply. Obama gets rolled in debt ceiling negotiations, the number of people identifying as Democrats goes down. Obama kills Bin Laden, the number of people saying they are Democrats skyrockets. It's just the same group of people giving different answers to the same question depending on how they feel about their party on any given day. The total number of Democratic voters remains the same, it's just a bunch of them slosh between identifying with the Dems and pretending to be above-it-all independents, depending on whether their team is doing well or not.
I agree that it's been disproven, but I think that acceptance of that is pretty well confined to political circles.

It's objectively true, but the public really doesn't want to admit it, and certainly not the third of them who self-identify as "independent" because the lie is just more noble to believe. Elections always tighten, as all those "independents" come back home and vote for who they usually vote for, and for all craziness of this election cycle, I think that's gonna happen again. All those "independents" get to feel like they made an informed decision, even if the outcome of the decision wasn't in doubt for most of them, media gets to stroke their egos, and everyone's happier at the end of the day.

The media trying to convince "independents" that they're really partisan and have just been lying to themselves is about as likely as them running a story mid-December about how Santa Claus isn't real. It may be true, but no one really wants to hear it.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Azathoth posted:

The media trying to convince "independents" that they're really partisan and have just been lying to themselves is about as likely as them running a story mid-December about how Santa Claus isn't real. It may be true, but no one really wants to hear it.

Well, let's not forget that there are also independents who just hold really strong opinions that are contradictory and/or crazy. Like Alex Jones followers who hated the Iraq war (and Bush), think the government is coming for our guns, smoke weed every day, and talk about how black lives matter is a hate group. Or the Bernie Sanders supporters who were also on the side of the those militia idiots who took over the bird watching station.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

e_angst posted:

Well, let's not forget that there are also independents who just hold really strong opinions that are contradictory and/or crazy. Like Alex Jones followers who hated the Iraq war (and Bush), think the government is coming for our guns, smoke weed every day, and talk about how black lives matter is a hate group. Or the Bernie Sanders supporters who were also on the side of the those militia idiots who took over the bird watching station.
I'm surprised that anti-government wingnuts like them even bother to vote, regardless of whether they're on the right or left end of the spectrum, or at least bother voting for either Democrats or Republicans. Those seem like prime Green or Libertarian voters.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
http://www.clickhole.com/article/playing-it-safe-nate-silver-will-spend-next-month--4742

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Concerned Citizen posted:

can't believe this guy is single

:golfclap:

Immediately heard the song in my head when I read the name.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Helical Nightmares posted:

:golfclap:

Immediately heard the song in my head when I read the name.

the harry enten song has been stuck in my head for days now

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Concerned Citizen posted:

the harry enten song has been stuck in my head for days now

Have another https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kGNYgEQvXdY

He's incredibly annoying but drat if they arn't catchy. In the I want to trepan myself kind of way.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
posted some stuff on another forum, thought I'd throw it in here

quote:

screw it, time to bitch about 538 again. yesterday's "Clinton is leading in EXACTLY 272 EV" article:

quote:

Right now, Clinton is over the line by exactly one state. As of this writing, that state — what we also call the tipping-point state — is New Hampshire. But a group of states are closely lumped together, and Pennsylvania, Colorado and Wisconsin have all taken their turn as the tipping-point state in recent weeks...

On the other hand, Clinton’s leads in the states she needs to win appear to be pretty solid. As of late Thursday afternoon, she’s ahead in our forecast by 3.1 percentage points in New Hampshire, and by slightly more than that in Colorado (3.3 points), Pennsylvania (3.4 points) and Michigan (also 3.4 points).

Nate says she's up in NH by 3.1 and has a 64% chance to win the state. Here's every poll from NH in chronological order since July with over a .1 weight:

code:
SEP. 17-20	Monmouth University	A+	400	LV	1.08	47%	38%	10%	Clinton +9	Clinton +8
SEP. 14-20	Google Consumer Surv	B	85	LV	0.17	28%	38%	13%	Trump +9	Trump +9
SEP. 6-8	Marist College	        A	737	LV	1.41	39%	37%	15%	Clinton +2	Trump +1
SEP. 3-5	Emerson College	        B	600	LV	0.85	42%	37%	14%	Clinton +5	Clinton +5
AUG.*26-SEP.*15	Ipsos	                A-	176	LV	0.24	48%	39%		Clinton +10	Clinton +8
AUG. 30-31	Public Policy Polling	B+	585	LV	0.85	46%	41%		Clinton +5	Clinton +3
AUG. 26-28	Public Policy Polling	B+	977	LV	0.68	46%	40%		Clinton +6	Clinton +4
AUG. 20-28	University of NH  	B+	417	LV	0.59	43%	32%	12%	Clinton +11	Clinton +7
AUG. 10-12	YouGov	                B	990	LV	0.58	45%	36%	5%	Clinton +9	Clinton +6
AUG.9-SEP.1	SurveyMonkey	      C-	1218      RV	0.55	40%	34%	14%	Clinton +6	Clinton +4
AUG. 7-8	Vox Populi Polling	B	820	RV	0.37	41%	31%	11%	Clinton +10	Clinton +5
AUG. 5-7	Public Policy Polling	B+	802	V	0.12	50%	37%		Clinton +13	Clinton +10
So the model arrived at 3.1 by subtracting points from HRC in EVERY SINGLE NH POLL conducted in the state in the past two months, except for the single Google Consumer Surveys poll of 85 people whose results in every other state imply an MOE of somewhere between 25 and a million.

Looking at the actual raw data underlying his model, could she be up 3 points IRL? It's implausible but not completely crazy. Does Trump have a 35% chance of winning? Draw your own conclusions.

PA and MI polling is sparse, but here's CO:

code:
SEP. 13-21	Quinnipiac University	       A-	644	LV	1.41	44%	42%	10%	Clinton +2	Clinton +4	
SEP. 14-20	Google Consumer Surveys	       B	550	LV	0.46	41%	28%	9%	Clinton +12	Clinton +12
SEP. 14-18	Franklin & Marshall College	B+	350	LV	0.8	41%	34%	12%	Clinton +7	Clinton +5
SEP. 2-15	Ipsos	                       A-	421	LV	0.41	40%	43%		Trump +3	Trump +4
SEP. 9-13	Emerson College	                B	600	LV	1	38%	42%	13%	Trump +4	Trump +3
AUG.*9-SEP.*1	SurveyMonkey	               C-	2,428	RV	0.7	37%	37%	16%	Tie	Trump +2
AUG. 29-31	Magellan Strategies	        C	500	LV	0.6	41%	36%	13%	Clinton +5	Clinton +3
AUG. 9-16	Quinnipiac University	        A-	830	LV	0.47	41%	33%	16%	Clinton +8	Clinton +7
AUG. 4-10	Marist College	                A	899	RV	0.54	41%	29%	15%	Clinton +12	Clinton +6
For the past 2 months, Trump led in two polls, both of which hit squarely in the DEAD HILLARY window. Eyeballing it, she should now be up somewhere around 5-7 points (but note Johnson's vote % is falling here, which should benefit her in the long run). Does Trump have 30% equity here on November 8th? Unlikely, but if I were a robot that didn't know pneumonia was a thing, I could see how it got to this conclusion. Does he have 28% in the now-cast? Come on son.

I can do this in every other state I've looked at. The model is broken.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
The model doesn't seem too broken imo.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bip Roberts posted:

The model doesn't seem too broken imo.

hmm yes, but have you considered, that it is??

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

gonna update my "goon self-hating" hypothesis to include nate silver. much like garrison keillor, goons hate someone who is better at shitposting and goonery than they are, because :effort:

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Their Now-cast has Hillary winning New Hampshire by 4.3% as of today with the five highest weighted polls being adjusted to Trump +1, Hillary+8, Hillary+5, Hillary+4, Hillary+5 based on the pollster's partisan lean, with the raw results being Hillary+2, Hillary+9, Hillary+5, Hillary+5, and Hillary+6. Just taking those five polls, adding up their overall margins and dividing by five, it puts the adjusted number at Hillary +4.2% and the raw number at Hillary +5.4%. While I think that unskewing polls is fraught with danger, I've always found their attempts to correct for overall partisan lean to be worthwhile, as it seems to help prevent cherry-picking of polls. From watching their updates, it seems that their model thinks that the polls this cycle are slightly biased towards Hillary, and I think that 1-2% is pretty much on target with what they are saying about the national election, so I don't find it surprising that they're seeing a 1.2% correction towards Trump in New Hampshire.

That said, whether Hillary is at +4.2% or +5.4% in New Hampshire, I think a lot of the angst towards 538's model comes from their use of percentages for state results in a way that a lot of people, myself included, find baffling. New Hampshire is a perfect example of this, as Hillary's currently got a 72% chance to win in the Now-cast but has led in every poll taken since July, aside from one that had a sample of 85 likely voters. The only way that Trump wins in New Hampshire, if the vote is held today, is if the polls are all completely skewed towards Hillary by a margin that seems almost impossible, yet they're saying that there's somewhere between a 1 in 4 and a 1 in 3 chance of that being the case, or if we had a portal into the infinite multiverse and could look in on 100 randomly selected worlds where voting was occurring today, but everything else is the same, Trump would win New Hampshire in 28 of those poor, besotted, Trump-crazed worlds.

For a more extreme example, take Minnesota (since as a DFLer, I take exception to Trump having a shot here). Their Now-cast has Hillary at +6.5% and a chance of victory at 84.6%. That's about 1% lower than Obama's margin over Romney, which seems pretty accurate to me, given the number of homemade "Trump That Bitch" signs that I see dotting the countryside and the number of Bernie 2016 bumper stickers I see in town. Also, the best result that Trump has had in any poll here is +5 Clinton from back in January, or +6 Clinton from a recent poll. However, the percentage suggests that in that same infinite multiverse, 15 of the 100 elections would come out with a Trump win. Unless they put the odds of a small nuclear weapon detonating somewhere in Hennepin or Ramsey counties at 1 in 8, it's hard for me to see how Trump has any chance in an election held today.

To flip it around, the model puts Trump's chance of winning Minnesota at about the same chance as Hillary winning Montana, in an election held today that is. In ever more flagrant stupidity, if the election were held today, Hillary has a 5% chance of winning in North Dakota. I would love to know how that number is not literally zero. Is it that there's a 5% chance that the entire state takes all that farm subsidy money and gets pee-your-pants drunk on Everclear and like 5 teetotaling Democrats show up to vote while only 4 very hung over Republicans remember it's election day?

Their percentages are useful in evaluating states relative to each other, in that Colorado and New Hampshire are more likely to vote Trump than Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota, but thinking about them as actual odds it's pants-on-head stupid. I've never seen a good explanation for how they're supposed to be used either as they seem to think of them like the odds of making or missing a field goal in football, but it's hard to reconcile their numbers with polling, history, and the overall partisanship of a state.

At the very top, in their Clinton vs. Trump as the next president prediction odds, I think they come out pretty accurate, as they've got Trump as having a 35.5% chance in their Now-cast. This pairs decently with the 272 EV article and what they consider to be a 26.7% chance of Trump winning Colorado, where a couple polls have shown him ahead, but the aggregate shows him behind. That, plus a few percentage points for some crazier outcomes, such as winning Maine's 2nd District and New Hampshire or a shocker in Pennsylvania, seems like a good approximation of the status of the race, though I'd love for them to do some kind of an article explaining how their percentages make even a lick of sense outside of the heavily polled swing states.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Azathoth posted:

Their Now-cast has Hillary winning New Hampshire by 4.3% as of today with the five highest weighted polls being adjusted to Trump +1, Hillary+8, Hillary+5, Hillary+4, Hillary+5 based on the pollster's partisan lean, with the raw results being Hillary+2, Hillary+9, Hillary+5, Hillary+5, and Hillary+6. Just taking those five polls, adding up their overall margins and dividing by five, it puts the adjusted number at Hillary +4.2% and the raw number at Hillary +5.4%. While I think that unskewing polls is fraught with danger, I've always found their attempts to correct for overall partisan lean to be worthwhile, as it seems to help prevent cherry-picking of polls. From watching their updates, it seems that their model thinks that the polls this cycle are slightly biased towards Hillary, and I think that 1-2% is pretty much on target with what they are saying about the national election, so I don't find it surprising that they're seeing a 1.2% correction towards Trump in New Hampshire.

That said, whether Hillary is at +4.2% or +5.4% in New Hampshire, I think a lot of the angst towards 538's model comes from their use of percentages for state results in a way that a lot of people, myself included, find baffling. New Hampshire is a perfect example of this, as Hillary's currently got a 72% chance to win in the Now-cast but has led in every poll taken since July, aside from one that had a sample of 85 likely voters. The only way that Trump wins in New Hampshire, if the vote is held today, is if the polls are all completely skewed towards Hillary by a margin that seems almost impossible, yet they're saying that there's somewhere between a 1 in 4 and a 1 in 3 chance of that being the case, or if we had a portal into the infinite multiverse and could look in on 100 randomly selected worlds where voting was occurring today, but everything else is the same, Trump would win New Hampshire in 28 of those poor, besotted, Trump-crazed worlds.

For a more extreme example, take Minnesota (since as a DFLer, I take exception to Trump having a shot here). Their Now-cast has Hillary at +6.5% and a chance of victory at 84.6%. That's about 1% lower than Obama's margin over Romney, which seems pretty accurate to me, given the number of homemade "Trump That Bitch" signs that I see dotting the countryside and the number of Bernie 2016 bumper stickers I see in town. Also, the best result that Trump has had in any poll here is +5 Clinton from back in January, or +6 Clinton from a recent poll. However, the percentage suggests that in that same infinite multiverse, 15 of the 100 elections would come out with a Trump win. Unless they put the odds of a small nuclear weapon detonating somewhere in Hennepin or Ramsey counties at 1 in 8, it's hard for me to see how Trump has any chance in an election held today.

To flip it around, the model puts Trump's chance of winning Minnesota at about the same chance as Hillary winning Montana, in an election held today that is. In ever more flagrant stupidity, if the election were held today, Hillary has a 5% chance of winning in North Dakota. I would love to know how that number is not literally zero. Is it that there's a 5% chance that the entire state takes all that farm subsidy money and gets pee-your-pants drunk on Everclear and like 5 teetotaling Democrats show up to vote while only 4 very hung over Republicans remember it's election day?

Their percentages are useful in evaluating states relative to each other, in that Colorado and New Hampshire are more likely to vote Trump than Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota, but thinking about them as actual odds it's pants-on-head stupid. I've never seen a good explanation for how they're supposed to be used either as they seem to think of them like the odds of making or missing a field goal in football, but it's hard to reconcile their numbers with polling, history, and the overall partisanship of a state.

At the very top, in their Clinton vs. Trump as the next president prediction odds, I think they come out pretty accurate, as they've got Trump as having a 35.5% chance in their Now-cast. This pairs decently with the 272 EV article and what they consider to be a 26.7% chance of Trump winning Colorado, where a couple polls have shown him ahead, but the aggregate shows him behind. That, plus a few percentage points for some crazier outcomes, such as winning Maine's 2nd District and New Hampshire or a shocker in Pennsylvania, seems like a good approximation of the status of the race, though I'd love for them to do some kind of an article explaining how their percentages make even a lick of sense outside of the heavily polled swing states.

we're out of egg mcmuffins sir

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
This deserves to be out of the main thread, but I don't wanna dig for the polls thread. Anyway, here's the exact reason why the LA Times poll is bad

https://np.reddit.com/r/PoliticalDiscussion/comments/53gcwh/polling_megathread_week_of_september_18_2016/d8137d9

quote:

Trump is not gaining at all.
http://i.imgur.com/eVJkyph.png
This is from the microdata of this poll. There are TWO male AAs between 18-21 with HS diplomas in the ENTIRE sample, but since one is for Trump he just so happens to be weighted EXTREMELY high in comparison to a normal weight. You will notice the times that the CI band goes through the roof on the AA tab are the times he has taken the poll if you examine the microdata.
http://i.imgur.com/m0TyzNJ.png
Anytime he has taken the poll you can see the spike. You can download the microdata yourself to confirm this. He is weighted extremely high so as soon as he takes the poll it causes these huge dips. In fact, this week he is weighted to 1.1% of the ENTIRE poll. One person out of 2500, which means he has the average weight of 25 other people taking the poll. The entire gain today was because of him. Without him, the poll would not have moved.
Anyone taking this poll as anything but a complete joke does not know what they are talking about.
Edit: Made a slight error in the original post that I corrected, but the findings remain the same.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Reason further down that Reddit thread, the poster also says the young black Trump guy makes over $75k a year. I don't know how they are able to dig out that data, but :lol: if that poll's results are being thrown way off because of some rando guy.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Adar posted:

This deserves to be out of the main thread, but I don't wanna dig for the polls thread. Anyway, here's the exact reason why the LA Times poll is bad

https://np.reddit.com/r/PoliticalDiscussion/comments/53gcwh/polling_megathread_week_of_september_18_2016/d8137d9

I'm super confused how Reddit works and why that that post was removed.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
Anywhere that includes the LAT/USC thing,that while really interesting for a pile of reasons, as a poll to be related to other polls in the creation of a national average is being completely disingenuous.

I'm looking at you, 538.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Schnorkles posted:

Anywhere that includes the LAT/USC thing,that while really interesting for a pile of reasons, as a poll to be related to other polls in the creation of a national average is being completely disingenuous.

I'm looking at you, 538.

The sorts of analysis 538 is doing fundamentally puts them in a damned if you do/damned if you don't type situation WRT being too picky-choosey with polls or being too ideologically stringent with what polling methodologies to accept.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Schnorkles posted:

I'm looking at you, 538.

While I'm not a huge fan of the 538 re-weighting of polls, their "house effect" weighting does mean that the LAT poll basically counts as a tie race for the average rather than Trump +5 or whatever.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Bip Roberts posted:

The sorts of analysis 538 is doing fundamentally puts them in a damned if you do/damned if you don't type situation WRT being too picky-choosey with polls or being too ideologically stringent with what polling methodologies to accept.
Yeah, their models should be able to, at least in theory, account for polls that are giving crazyass results. They've currently got that poll at a +4 Trump bias, so the most recent one came out with Trump +4, which gets corrected to a tie in what they actually use to figure out where the race is. That's still a great poll for Trump, even after taking four points off the top. It's a good example of why trying to account for a pollster's overall bias is so important.

However, this poll's methodology presents a unique opportunity to be flawed in non-obvious ways. Some quick googling and some even quicker math tells me that their poll should include roughly 90 to 100 African American male respondents, and if it's true that some iterations of the poll really includes only 2 African American male voters without a college degree, then it really calls into question their entire methodology.At a glance, the poll appears to be one of the larger ones based on sample size, but it's behaving like one of the smallest.

The idea of re-interviewing the same respondents throughout is really interesting as a concept, given how trend from one iteration of a poll to the next can be more informative than the overall results of the poll itself, but if they aren't able to get enough responses to accurately weight the poll, it calls the viability of the whole model into question, at least at the sample size they have. In a poll with more traditional methodologies, this would be a transient issue with a single poll iteration, but in this poll, it is a systemic problem.

I'd really love to hear someone at The Upshot or 538 react to this.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

there's no reason to include it at all. the model isn't really built to accommodate radical polling methodologies and it's not like there's a surfeit of national polls

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

theflyingexecutive posted:

there's no reason to include it at all. the model isn't really built to accommodate radical polling methodologies and it's not like there's a surfeit of national polls
I don't think that there's so anything wrong with the model that it needs to be automatically excluded, and it does have, at least theoretically, some direct insight into things that other polls can only approach indirectly like poll to poll trends. Obviously, it has it's own unique and quite possibly fatal flaws, but since there isn't a lack of national polls, I'm more inclined to like that they threw it onto the pile instead of discarding it. It was also one of the polls that, at least to my recollection, got started early, so for a while it was one of a small number of national polls. Now that we've got more and better quality national polling, it isn't as important, but it's also hard for me to argue then that they should rely on it in their model early only to discard it later.

The real problem comes from the fact that the 538 model is really only built to deal with polls that are flawed in the ordinary ways, like "Our likely voter model assumes that white voters without a college degree will turn out at 80% this election cause Trump's gonna make polling great again! USA! USA!" or "Our sample size is less than 100 people" or "We only gather results by use of paper forms hand-delivered to respondents by our dedicated team of street urchins, not newfangled gadgets like the telly-phone". Accounting for crap like that is why places like 538 exist, and if they can't, then you may as well just total up all the polls and average them out, since it's essentially what they're going to be doing anyways.

The flaw in the poll's model could be overcome by various tweaks, such as having a much larger pool of respondents to try to prevent one single person from having such an outsized effect or not relying on the notoriously inaccurate responses concerning who people voted for in the last election, but it's far too late for that now. If anything, it seems like they tried something novel and it ended up having a whole bunch of unintended consequences, which is to me a reason to rethink the polls fundamental assumptions and iterate to make it better, not discard it interely. I'd like to see it come back in 2020 if they can address the problems.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Bip Roberts posted:

538 is unique in all the models in some of the polls they choose to accept. It's the source of most of their "uncertainty" in relation to models like the upshot.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Also my understanding of 538's overall methodology could be wrong, but realize that the LAT/USC poll is a wild outlier, and more importantly, not really a poll. They do poll "unskewing" based on the overall average of all polls and polls distance from that on average [I think. Harry's described it and that's my recollection. This could be wrong and it might change how I feel about it, but I'm not sure what other methodology that isn't just wild unskewing allows you to do what they're trying to do.]

I.e. the poll, because they choose to allow it, is still effecting the overall picture and how they choose to "unskew" polls. It's muted, sure, but still there.

e: Words, it's not weighting. :downs:

Schnorkles has issued a correction as of 04:44 on Sep 26, 2016

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I don't think the methodology nor poll itself should be blacked out, just not included in a model unequipped to handle it, especially when it's unknown what parameters it needs for optimal functioning. A fundamental aspect of polling is that you're constantly pulling in new subgroups of the population and that randomness serves to reduce the margin of error. I think (but don't have enough quant knowledge to confirm) a tracking poll would have that set initial MoE and then a compounding MoE for every day's cohort. This would be reduced if they just reported numbers averaged over the week for the entire pool, but that defeats the purpose of a NUMBERS EVERY DAY! poll from a publicity standpoint.

Plus I'm wagering that if you're included in this poll, you have a sort of pressure to turn into a pundit and (accurately or not) change your likelihood of support every week. I also think that people aren't good at self-reporting probability of voting.

They also acknowledge the "I don't remember for whom I voted" effect, but have no mechanism for correcting this. I think this poll is really terrible as a traditional poll, but really excellent for the other question they ask, which is the expected winner question.

I also think this will be a great resource for developing swing voter theories; my personal one is that someone who changes their mind week to week is too stupid and ADD-ridden to actually complete the voting process

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Anyone looked at those state by state google consumer surveys? Some of those results are down right wacky. I think I saw a couple like Hillary +1 in Arkansas and +11 in Kansas yet it somehow gets a B in pollster ratings. :wtf:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Schnorkles posted:

538 is unique in all the models in some of the polls they choose to accept. It's the source of most of their "uncertainty" in relation to models like the upshot.

When you do meta-analyses, you have to make the call as to what observations best fit your analytical model. Sometimes you tweak the model to allow for a greater range of data, sometimes you throw observations out because they don't meet your criteria. Shook Nate is leaning hard on the former to include a bunch of no-name pollsters with obfuscated data adjustments (LV screen hacking, illegitimate crosstab extrapolations, arbitrary turnout weighing, insufficient subgroup breakout analyses, enthusiasm weighing) so that 538 updates more frequently than RCP or NYT.

Why else would he post a whiny defense of USC/LAT? He gets to piggyback on their NUMBERS EVERY DAY system. Why else would he include the Ipsos state breakouts when no other aggregator will? He gets 51 bonus data points including state "polls" of states that no pollster would ever waste time calling and every time one of those breakouts posts a weird result because it isn't crosstabbed and is barely three digits of LVs, Kellyanne or even orange hitler himself tweets about it.

Shook Nate is either too dumb to understand that a lot of polls in his model aren't statistically rigorous enough to include or is willfully disregarding scientific accuracy for clicks

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I would love nothing more than the end result of this election making all pollsters and indeed Nate look like garbage idiots.

I don't think it'll happen but oh man that would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I think the narrative that Nate is pushing his model to maximize clicks and horserace is underestimating what brand of sperg Nate is.

• Locked thread