Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I'm pissed that Deathwing isn't going to have a Versus mode just like Vermintide didn't. Vermintide was great but murdering the same AI over and over again, personally gets old to me quickly. Meanwhile I have like 1,000 hours total played between L4d and L4d2 all in VS mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

I for one could not be more thankful that budget isn't being spent on a vs mode I'll play all of once or twice.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The only tyranid they've shown that poses an individual threat to a guy in terminator armor is the big one, whose name currently escapes me. It'd be hard to balance, to say the least.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Gamerofthegame posted:

there are no games like planetside and the original planetside is over ten years old

it's probably complicated.

Buying the game and changing the skins would probably make an instant hit, but who knows how much sony would charge for the engine.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Pretty sure Daybreak got the engine rights when they got the gently caress out.

Orabilis
May 6, 2014
Deathwing looks kind of fun, a 40K, Left4Dead mashup?

Maybe they'll cancel enemies and have a 40K walking simulator.

Orv
May 4, 2011
L4D with some kind of underlying RPG system, yeah. Not sure how deep it goes or how replayable it is but from the gameplay trailer it looks drat good.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Deathwing is EYE with a Warhammer 40K skin and less clunk. Surprised no one here has played it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIgjGUMI4mg

Here's a decent text review I found on Steam

quote:

Many people buy this game thinking they're buying a System Shock or a Deus Ex. Maybe a Borderlands or a STALKER. This is an incorrect assumption to make. It's true that EYE features many RPG elements. It has dialogue, branching paths, levels, inventory management, stores and side-missions. But this is all plays second fiddle to what EYE is really aiming for. It's not a Deus Ex as much as it is a Serious Sam. It's not a Borderlands as much as it is a Painkiller. I really cannot emphasise this enough, it's my belief that the majority of the complaints directed towards EYE stem from a false presupposition of what this game is trying to be. That is not the players fault though, because EYE doesn't exactly make these things clear.

EYE is a mess.

Unless you are a Dwarf Fortress player, EYE is likely to be the biggest, messiest game you are ever likely to see. Right off the bat it gives you a character creation screen which makes absolutely no sense to anyone beginning the game without first googling what in the hell you are looking at. The dialogue is either intentionally vague, bizarre and most of the time incomprehensible. You will be thrown into a world which appears to have some sort of lore and backstory but you'll be lucky if you ever understand a tenth of what is going on. When the game presents you with the tutorial level, many aspects of that tutorial will need tutorials themselves, and you will be confronted with a library of tutorial videos on how certain game mechanics work. Your body can be hacked and destroyed by doors and ATMs. Sometimes huge monsters will appear in the level and fire rockets in directions you didn't even know existed and you have to kill it. Sometimes you'll be tasked to kill a high ranking enemy and he will zip about the game shooting and cloaking tanking hits like nothing else. This game is primarily single-player, but you can have 64-player coop. You can buy spells and augmentations and guns and big hammers all with a currency called Brozouf which you seem to endlessly gain in areas where you are doing something for some reason for someone. EYE is a deranged and twisted mess of Syndicate, Neuromancer, Warhammer 40k and the entire personal drug stash of Hunter S. Thompson. And you know what? It's amazing.

There is no messing around with regenerating health, cover or killcams. You can go in fast and furious or heavy like robocop. The guns feel like they should. There is real impact when you shoot something. Enemies will go flying across the screen. You can teleport into people and laugh as they explode. You can hit people in the face with giant hammers and watch as they bounce off the walls. You can hack people. You can force push four-armed creatures into radioactive goo. You can block bullets with swords. This game can be anything you want, but above all it is satisfying.

If you get this game, it's imperative that you know what you getting into. If you want a cyberpunk dystopia with thought provoking dialogue and choices that mean something, I don't advise you to get this game. If you want a crazy FPS that is a completely unapologetic mess that explains nothing but offers everything then I would strongly recommend this game.

tl;dr - If someone that never had a single human interaction were to make a totally awesome game, EYE Divine Cybermancy would be the end result. Get it when it goes on sale for 75 cents again.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I think the majority of people here have played EYE and know that Deathwing is being made by the same people. This makes us cautiously optimistic about it. :shobon:

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I don't recall what I spent on EYE, but I can safely say I got at least $50 worth of fun out of it. That game was loving nuts.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Stanley Pain posted:

I think the majority of people here have played EYE and know that Deathwing is being made by the same people. This makes us cautiously optimistic about it. :shobon:

I see you haven't played Blood Bowl.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Fat Samurai posted:

I see you haven't played Blood Bowl.

What does Blood Bowl have to do with this besides having the same publisher?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Dodoman posted:

What does Blood Bowl have to do with this besides having the same publisher?

Warhammer IP, Cyanide as a developer.

FAKE EDIT: Uh, I could have sworn that I'd seen Cyanide as a developer for Deathwing but Steam doesn't mention it. Carry on then. Moving my opinion to cautiously optimistic.

REAL EDIT: From Wikipedia, it seems.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fat Samurai posted:

Warhammer IP, Cyanide as a developer.

FAKE EDIT: Uh, I could have sworn that I'd seen Cyanide as a developer for Deathwing but Steam doesn't mention it. Carry on then. Moving my opinion to cautiously optimistic.

REAL EDIT: From Wikipedia, it seems.

Welcome, brother.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Blood Bowl (and Mordheim) suck largely because the developers just phoned it in and copy/pasted tabletop poo poo into the game, which is almost always a terrible idea. Deathwing seems like it'll be free of any of that garbage, so I'm not too worried Cyanide is doing it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Cyanide is just the publisher, Streum On has full development control.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I've always looked at EYE: Divine Cybermancy the same way I look at Dwarf Fortress, in that it looks awesome and I bet it's the most fun thing in the world, but goddam I am not insane enough to be able to actually competently play it (I was able to Adventure Mode in Dwarf Fortress up until they gave you the ability to talk to every single person beyond "please be my meatshield" and "PREPARE TO DIE," then it just got too complex for me). Like, I've started up EYE and the first thing on the screen was "WHICH KABBALAH-THING DO YOU WANT YOUR DNA TO BE" which affects stats I don't know the functions of yet. And yes I have the giant strategy guide PNG but eeeeeeeh.

So while every attempt to make a simplified, stripped down Dwarf Fortress For Dummies has collapsed from incompetence or catastrophic financial mismanagement like Towns or Spacebase DF-9, the gameplay in Deathwing seems like it's been successfully pared down to a sane level.

But to get back on topic, RIP this game when it dies the moment it is fully released next Friday, like a baby mermaid in that automated mermaid baby bone harvester machine somebody made in Dwarf Fortress when someone noticed that scrimshawed mermaid bones sold for more money than other animal bones.

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 16, 2016

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

At least in death wing it will make more sense when you try to hack a door only to lose and have your brain explode.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I tried this game again and I have to say the melee system just isn't fun. I was amazing at the Space Marine arcade melee but this slower more tactical melee just isn't fun. The jetpacks also feel underwhelming.

To be fair I only was able to get a little melee in before I was killed by my own team. That happened more than the enemy team killing me.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I didn't like melee at first too, but I sort of learned to like it a bit. Most people tend to just spam quick attack at you till you fall down, which seems to be the go-to strategy for 90% of players. The proper response is to d-bash them (called parrying blow in controls, I suggest to set a key for this) and that would leave a big enough opening for a power attack.

The problem with d-bash though is that it's slow, takes a long time to perform, and traps you in its animation while not moving you far at all. While quick attacks has you warping every second.

Melee still has some issues with latency and balence. I believe I can get sorted out in Time though.

I've started really playing striking scorpion and one-shotting out of stealth is silly and fun.

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Sep 17, 2016

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Yesterday I was able to interupt the cap on a point as striking scorpion with a dozen or more space marines running around it while staying completely invisible (except for that little egg tool thing your character throws in). I died, but they were seconds away from capping it.

Striking scorpions really are the best troll class in the game right now and I don't see this lasting long.

Orv
May 4, 2011
They've been able to invisibly uncap for like, four months now, I don't see them changing it.

Also fair warning, if you saw that EC patched a bunch recently and were wondering how it's doing, the answer is really good. It feel, looks and plays better than ever. That said, heavy bolters are currently like miniature sparks of god, and you will experience only suffering.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Orv posted:

On the "Can I pretty my princess yet" front.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csSyTKNHcuE

35 minutes for higher quality. https://www.twitch.tv/40kcrusade/v/87166870

No Sisters of Battle, no sale.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Was playing this last night, huge performance boost on my system and they implemented guilds too. Would be playing it right now if I knew whether or not they'd be wiping again.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Was playing this last night, huge performance boost on my system and they implemented guilds too. Would be playing it right now if I knew whether or not they'd be wiping again.

They won't wipe ever again as of the 23rd, so just wait until then.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Orv posted:

They won't wipe ever again as of the 23rd, so just wait until then.

Noah (game designer for uninformed ) mentioned a potential "give everyone everything to gently caress around with period" next week, and Nathan (senior producer for aforementioned uninformed ) said they were going try to do a head start but with no promises.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

lovely Wizard posted:

Noah (game designer for uninformed ) mentioned a potential "give everyone everything to gently caress around with period" next week, and Nathan (senior producer for aforementioned uninformed ) said they were going try to do a head start but with no promises.

That'd be cool because I'm curious about that unlockable class at the top of the Eldar progression tree.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's the Warlock veteran. Veterans get 400 more loadout points than basic classes and you can only spawn them twice a match (or three times a fortress match).

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
For anyone that doesn't like the current rate of unlocking stuff, UAT (test server) has had some good changes so far.

First UAT increased exp rate to I believe 85% of exp earned instead of the 50% of exp earned. Then another hotfix tonight reduced the price of the expensive base wargear from high rear end amounts to way lower amounts. Ork Shield was 20k requisition and Power Klaw 40k, but now they're 10k and 16k respectively.

Unrelated but it has also added nearly all the ork cosmetics. They used to just have shoulders, now they have a bunch of stuff for pretty much every slot (Peg Legs, Hair Squig, teef, squig backpack, and dozens more) except chest/torso. There IS an Ork cigar in the files, but that isn't ingame yet. I assume it's because they specifically have to get it okayed by the ESRB, but Overwatch still got a T rating with one character prominently featuring a cigar so it should get in.

Orv
May 4, 2011
This comes out tomorrow. Despite everything, it has ended up a perfectly okay third person lobby shooter with a very solid Warhammer skin. Is that worth you $60? You know the drill, watch some insufferable child stream it for a couple hours and do some research, but even as someone who has enjoyed it and will continue to play it, I'd probably put in more in the $35-40 range right now.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Orv posted:

This comes out tomorrow. Despite everything, it has ended up a perfectly okay third person lobby shooter with a very solid Warhammer skin. Is that worth you $60? You know the drill, watch some insufferable child stream it for a couple hours and do some research, but even as someone who has enjoyed it and will continue to play it, I'd probably put in more in the $35-40 range right now.

Wait, are you joking with the $60 price tag?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Noooooooooooooooooooooope.

I was wrong, it's going to be $50.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
RIP game

If you want it, get it here though I don't think it'll survive @ $50.
http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/warhammer-40000-eternal-crusade-pc-steam-cd-key

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I'm pretty sure they said that they'll keep the early access $40 deal for a whole month after launch.

As far as game surviving at that price; this game has a very unique and deep melee combat system (and I like it). Also it's 40k space marines and whatnot. The future doesn't look so bad.

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 22, 2016

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Dudes used to buying armies won't blink at that price.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

It has the potential to one day be good.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

I noticed that all of a sudden it's blue on steam now (mostly positive). Is that just the emperor's faithful or what?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cutedge posted:

I noticed that all of a sudden it's blue on steam now (mostly positive). Is that just the emperor's faithful or what?

That might be part of it, but there's also the fact that all Founders keys no longer count towards the Overall or Recent scores, so hey you know, maybe the game's getting there?

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

I thought Steam just reversed that? Maybe it hasn't gone through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cutedge posted:

I thought Steam just reversed that? Maybe it hasn't gone through.

Received keys are no longer in their own ghetto of actually being shown but they still don't count towards the scores.

So yes, people who have bought the game recently (or reviewed it I guess since that's weird for EA games) are by and large happy with it.

• Locked thread