Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

They're bad if they're in a language the audience doesn't understand.

Ah, that's a good point. I somehow read that as "even in Japan, Japanese puns are bad" rather than "in the context of a translation, Japanese puns are bad". My mistake.

Edit:

Waffleman_ posted:

I wasn't saying it was bad at all, I'm just saying at this point, they've committed to it.

And I think the hearsay was that Takumi tried to keep the first game pretty culturally neutral to aid in localization, but since the games didn't get localized until after 3 came out, he decided to go buck wild.

Is Takumi still making the games? For some reason I thought that since DD it's been written by a mostly new team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Lurdiak posted:

That's not a hole. Localizing things is good. Burgers are good. Japanese puns are bad.

Considering Maya's character, she seems like she'd get excited for something like burgers way more than ramen anyway. Though as of AA4 they made her obsessed with both.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Ah, that's a good point. I somehow read that as "even in Japan, Japanese puns are bad" rather than "in the context of a translation, Japanese puns are bad". My mistake.

Edit:

Is Takumi still making the games? For some reason I thought that since DD it's been written by a mostly new team.

Takumi was not involved in DD and SoJ, but he did write Layton vs and DGS.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
I do enjoy how even with case 4 being the most japanese case ever that they still changed the names so they'd sound like the leitmotif they're going for.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

Takumi was not involved in DD and SoJ, but he did write Layton vs and DGS.

Who wrote AAI2?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

hopeandjoy posted:

Who wrote AAI2?

Investigations 1 was the team of Takeshi Yamazaki, Sou Mayumi, and Yuichirou Kitaoka, while AAI2 is credited only to Yamazaki on Wiki. Yamazaki is the co-director of both 3DS games.

Edit: Also is Spirit of Justice the first subtitle in the series that is explicitly related to the content of the game? Justice for All and Trials and Tribulations are vague legal-themed terms, and I still don't know whose destinies were dual. But Spirit of Justice is all about spiritual stuff, justice, and Apollo Justice.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 17, 2016

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Case 5, end: Apollo had the finger point to pierce the heavens. It was like something straight out of the anime :allears:
holy gently caress Thalassa came back??? AND they're finally gonna tell Apollo and Trucy they're siblings??? what a time

This is for sure the best AA game. everything about it was great

Carlosologist fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 17, 2016

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Case 5 Trial 2: Hello. My name is Inga Karkhuul Haw'kohd Dis'nahm Bi'ahni Lawga Ormo Pohmpus Da'nit Ar'edi Iz Khura'in III.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

Investigations 1 was the team of Takeshi Yamazaki, Sou Mayumi, and Yuichirou Kitaoka, while AAI2 is credited only to Yamazaki on Wiki. Yamazaki is the co-director of both 3DS games.

Edit: Also is Spirit of Justice the first subtitle in the series that is explicitly related to the content of the game? Justice for All and Trials and Tribulations are vague legal-themed terms, and I still don't know whose destinies were dual. But Spirit of Justice is all about spiritual stuff, justice, and Apollo Justice.

Eh, Justice for All might be a reference to ...And Justice for All in which a lawyer has to defend a guilty client he hates and tries to throw the trial.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Waffleman_ posted:

Whole game Also one of your final deductions comes from communing with, literally, the spirit of Justice - Jove Justice. :haw: A good name for a good game.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
case 5 trial 2: MOON PRISM POWER! MAKE-UUUUUUP

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

alcharagia posted:

Case 5 Trial 2: Hello. My name is Inga Karkhuul Haw'kohd Dis'nahm Bi'ahni Lawga Ormo Pohmpus Da'nit Ar'edi Iz Khura'in III.

There's people out there who don't find what they did with Khura'inese names hilarious

Those people are my enemies

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I think it's just too easy to write whatever you want and sprinkle in apostrophes. Puns that sound like they could maybe be actual names are way funnier.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Larry Butz is the realest name ever.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

To be fair, the Japanese ones aren't that much better. Ol' Bokuto Tsuani.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Clarste posted:

I think it's just too easy to write whatever you want and sprinkle in apostrophes. Puns that sound like they could maybe be actual names are way funnier.

Right but that's like the whole joke

They're supposed to be completely brazen and absurd

It wouldn't work if it was a regular thing, but for this one game, and this one set of characters it managed to be consistently funny with its increasing absurdity, with the one in case 5 as the final punchline

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Lurdiak posted:

Larry Butz is the realest name ever.

It's got Larry in it. That's half a real name.

Edit: Best names in this game were Bonnie and Betty Da Famme.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Pees'lubn Andistan'dhin is the best name in the entire goddamn series.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Case 5 Trial 1 This is the hypest poo poo, I'm really loving having Phoenix as the opponent. Hopefully he doesn't act ridiculously out of character by making him sneaky like all the prosecutors.

Also, the DLC costumes were worth it just to see the first shot in court where the Judge looks at the three of them in confusion, and asks if it's a mock trial.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

poo poo, the AA wiki revealed to me that Khura'inese script is stylized hiragana turned upside down!

Now I know what Nahyuta's sutra is! Satora imaoman domosamashi detashinuke taregasayo sonoka!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

cloofish posted:

Pees'lubn Andistan'dhin is the best name in the entire goddamn series.

Man, I spent the whole trial waiting for his hippie wig to fall off, and it never did. :(

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
so, case 5, trial 2

i think that the secret of how Amara got out of the tomb just clicked for me and

oh no

oh no no no no no, oh no

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Waffleman_ posted:

poo poo, the AA wiki revealed to me that Khura'inese script is stylized hiragana turned upside down!

Now I know what Nahyuta's sutra is! Satora imaoman domosamashi detashinuke taregasayo sonoka!

Huh. A couple looked like stylised katakana the right way up, but I stopped thinking about it when looking at the third character disproved that. Neat.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
God damnit. What the gently caress. What the gently caress,

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

alcharagia posted:

God damnit. What the gently caress. What the gently caress,

YAMAZAKI'S WILD RIDE.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

alcharagia posted:

so, case 5, trial 2

i think that the secret of how Amara got out of the tomb just clicked for me and

oh no

oh no no no no no, oh no

:getin:

Asinine Attorney is great because Pearl becomes queen of Khura'in after the bluffest of bluffs

Carlosologist fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 17, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm in the very beginning of 6-5 and I clicked on something on the wall in the Doctor's office, but I couldn't see it clearly. The characters started going on about gravy. "This sounds...vaguely familiar" I think to myself.

I click over to the next screen to see what they were talking about and got hit by nostalgia. God dammit I'm supposed to be immune to nostalgia...and poo poo, it's even next to a coffee machine. :smith:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
So like... I have to be near the end right? There can't be that much more to this.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice is a very content-rich game.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

alcharagia posted:

So like... I have to be near the end right? There can't be that much more to this.

Maya's about to channel Quercus Alba for another hour and a half of cross examination.

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

alcharagia posted:

so, case 5, trial 2

oh no

oh no no no no no, oh no

For all the virtues of the Thought Route, this is the one place where not using it was absolutely the right decision.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
the only good thing about this all is watching Nahyuta's life and family fall apart right in front of him

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
oh yeah you know just winding down a bit and then AMARA GETS loving SHOT

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

You have so much left.

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.
I've been so excited to play this but I just started case 2 and I'm already having a problem where my 3DS keeps thinking I'm blowing into the mic so just dusting the coffin is the biggest slog ever. Too afraid to read back into the thread for spoilers, and Google only shows me emulation problems for past games, so tell me someone else has had this issue and how they fixed it? It's not the X button and I've tried dusting with my finger blocking the mic.

Otherwise... Ema, I had a hell of a time getting to like you again, why are you doing this to me.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

this got an actual chuckle out of me so now you're all subjected to it too

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Kimitsu posted:

I've been so excited to play this but I just started case 2 and I'm already having a problem where my 3DS keeps thinking I'm blowing into the mic so just dusting the coffin is the biggest slog ever. Too afraid to read back into the thread for spoilers, and Google only shows me emulation problems for past games, so tell me someone else has had this issue and how they fixed it? It's not the X button and I've tried dusting with my finger blocking the mic.

Otherwise... Ema, I had a hell of a time getting to like you again, why are you doing this to me.

Ahhhh, this happened to me last night on Case 4. I was riding in a car and the low hum made the mic go off repeatedly. I couldn't even play until the trip was over.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
HOLY poo poo

APOLLO'S BIODAD IS THE FINAL PIECE OF EVIDENCE

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

alcharagia posted:

HOLY poo poo

APOLLO'S BIODAD IS THE FINAL PIECE OF EVIDENCE

truly, the Spirit of Justice in effect