Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Cake Attack posted:

what's the joke behind nayutahs name or is there not one

None. It's his name in Japanese as well unless there's a pun in that language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

i checked the wiki

quote:

His given name "Nahyuta" comes from "nayuta" (那由多 or 那由他), which is originally a Sanskrit word that denotes a very large number.
"Sahdmadhi", his surname, comes from the Japanese proverb "hotoke no kao mo sando made" (仏の顔も三度まで), which means "Even the Buddha becomes angry if you brush his face thrice", which fits with his calm demeanor and sharp tongue. This could be a reference to the "three chances" he gives to the defence before he constricts them with his beads. It may also come from Samadhi a state of meditative consciousness.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Cake Attack posted:

Nahyuta comes from a Sanskrit word that denotes a large number and Sahdmadi comes from the proverb "Hotoke no kao mo sando made" which means "Even the Buddha will become angry when you brush his face thrice."

The plot-important Khura'in characters, minus Datz, have more meaningful names and less puns.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Case 5 Day 2 Trial:Oh my loving God Ga'ran just turned into a final boss in an Ace Attorney game, I'm 5 minutes into this and I can already tell she's going to make Von Karma look like a cute puppy in comparison.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I probably would have liked Nahyuta better if they'd expanded on that "Buddha will forgive you twice" gimmick. And, you know, made it so he wasn't unreasonably rude and hostile to you until you'd actually used up your chances.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

well that's not very funny

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
This case kept me up all night how is this not over yet

Case 5 Trial 2: When Nahyuta didn't show in court I thought he might've bowed out of the trial to be with his mom at the hospital, but goddamn dude, absolutely nobody is buying this confession.

Nova Odin
Jul 13, 2014
Episode 5 spoilers

Spark Brushel on Jove Justice back in AA4: http://imgur.com/a/Ag104

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nova Odin posted:

Episode 5 spoilers

Technically none of that is inaccurate!

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
That 4th case was pretty rad, despite being Athena-led! Blackquill is, perhaps, too cool.

Also, I totally knew the clown's juggs would pop!

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Nova Odin posted:

Episode 5 spoilers

Typical reporter lies

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
yo that was a fuckin trial

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
General spoilers I guess but mostly applies to where I am right now C5T2: I really wish Apollo had a voice clip for the 'A dragon never yields' line

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I can't believe I missed the Mr Reus pun

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Finished up through Case 5, Trial 1 and the first scene of Day 2. When Apollo began the thought route, realizing the puzzle wasn't solved yet but now that they had the Holy Mother's face there was a possibility of spirit channeling her I immediately knew why Maya was kidnapped and by who, and gently caress Dhurke confirms that in the next Lobby scene. I can't remember the last time this game series shocked me that much.

I'm also super-happy about being right that Wright and Edgeworth were working together from the start, that Edgeworth immediately has a plane ready and goes WITH them.
I don't know how I'm going to handle the rest of the game with the reactions I'm seeing, but I'm already at :tviv:

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Terper posted:

I can't believe I missed the Mr Reus pun

gently caress me too :doh:

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
I finished the game!! My head is still kind of reeling from that last trial, but I just wanted to say I really loved this one a lot, much more than I felt after finishing Dual Destinies.

It was a really great sendoff for Apollo becoming a lawyer in his own right, and I'm very excited to see where the series goes in the future. I was so torn over Dhurke being dead because he became one of my favourite characters, but he went out like a loving champ and didn't even let that stop him from solving mysteries. RIP Cool Dad, you were too good for this world.

About case 5 though, I was surprised that the justice minister didn't get that much... closure? I guess we were caught up with all the twists and turns, but I was expecting to show (maybe not in court, but post-trial) that his motive for the coup was more for Rayfa's sake than his own. Since he wants to overthrow Ga'ran and he himself has can't use spiritual power, there was really only one other person who'd benefit. It always seemed like he had a good relationship with her.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Clarste posted:

Episode 5: Face blindness isn't actually all that rare, it's just not diagnosed because the people who have it don't often realize that they're supposed to be able to recognize faces effortlessly. They just think of themselves as bad at remembering people and end up apologizing at parties a lot. I wouldn't be surprised if someone in this thread has it. These games also exaggerate how bad it is: they might not be able to recognize the face as a single unit, but they'd still be able to tell if someone has a pointy chin or a big nose or whatever.

Spoilers I'm actually a bit late to respond to this but I actually have a pretty minor case of it. If it's someone I've been around for years upon years upon years I'll be able to handle it pretty easily but most of the time I have to refer to haircut or clothes I normally see people in otherwise it's almost like it's the first time I've ever seen them. I had a friend I hung out with every single day for the course of 3-4 years and I still had trouble before he moved away. Just gotta apologize a lot I guess :v:

Friend also pointed out that I glance at people's faces a lot and... I didn't notice it until I learned that it was a actual thing. Whoops :shobon:

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
Late Case 5 Day 2 and ohgod this is so dumb are they implying that Ga'ran used Dhurke's clothes to kill Inga and then patiently dressed back the several-day-old body? I really hope that's not it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

meristem posted:

Late Case 5 Day 2 and ohgod this is so dumb are they implying that Ga'ran used Dhurke's clothes to kill Inga and then patiently dressed back the several-day-old body? I really hope that's not it.
She just wanted to get a gander at Dhurkes donger

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2 announced.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Just rename the character Merlock Gnomes and get the games over here. i dont care if theyre bad

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Quest For Glory II posted:

Just rename the character Merlock Gnomes and get the games over here. i dont care if theyre bad

DGS1 wasn't a bad game, it just wasn't a complete story. Capcom knows this, of course, which is why the copy at the end of the short trailer we got was something like "all the mysteries are going to be solved".

I kinda doubt we'll get a DGS3. It will be more like a very large game split into 2 instead of a series.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

orenronen posted:

DGS1 wasn't a bad game,

Immensely underwhelming is an apt way to describe it

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt1s2DhNp3I

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Perfect Potato posted:

Immensely underwhelming is an apt way to describe it

I really enjoyed what we got, but it's true that it doesn't have a big climax full of twists like we're used to.

But I dunno, I think the more down-to-earth storytelling has its merits, and Takumi's actual prose and dialogue are still better than what we currently get in the main series.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

considering Takumi wrote PWvPL i'm gonna say Hold It to that

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

orenronen posted:

I really enjoyed what we got, but it's true that it doesn't have a big climax full of twists like we're used to.

But I dunno, I think the more down-to-earth storytelling has its merits, and Takumi's actual prose and dialogue are still better than what we currently get in the main series.

I don't care about how nice the dialogue sounds, I play these games to watch mysteries unfold and have fun solving them with the cast of the characters and the game does a real shitshow of a job in that regard

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Quest For Glory II posted:

considering Takumi wrote PWvPL i'm gonna say Hold It to that

I'm talking specifically about the prose, not the story, so translations are going to be a very different thing - Takumi has a way with Japanese words that I don't often see in visual novel video game prose. Also, PWvPL clearly had a lot of actual writers working on the text of the game. The parts I believe Takumi wrote himself (most of the trials) had pretty good dialogue.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
The only thing I can say about DGS1's last case and ending is imagine if Spirit of Justice ended after case 5 day 1. Because that's basically what they did with DGS1.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

IceBorg posted:

The only thing I can say about DGS1's last case and ending is imagine if Spirit of Justice ended after case 5 day 1. Because that's basically what they did with DGS1.

Banjeeks literally (figuratively) spits in the player's face at the end and tells them to buy the next game if they want to know what his deal actually is. What a weaver of tales Takumi-sama is

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Oh, Mr. Reus = Mysterious. I kept pronouncing "Reus" as "Rooce".

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Trucy said it out loud in the chapter intro.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

AlphaKretin posted:

Trucy said it out loud in the chapter intro.

I never remember the chapter intros for more than like, the first quarter of the first investigation.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXOIZZyHJw4

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

RIP Samurai Warrior, may there be no bedposts where you now lay

Perfect Potato fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Sep 17, 2016

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Getting DGS translated would be worth it just for the soundtrack imo.

Also, because it's an Ace Attorney game and Ace Attorney games are good.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

6-5 Trial 1 Holy poo poo Apollo & Athena vs. Phoenix in a CIVIL SUIT

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

IceBorg posted:

I think that would still be better than AJ's final case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I always thought Reus was pronounced like "Deus" :downs: