Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
First Play Build
Turtle
No Shield Melee
Caster
Kaz, what should I do. Tell me like you used to
View Results

• Locked thread
Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

oh, lmao, i just figured they would aggro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

it took me like 50 hours to get a hang of online/pvp parry timings, but man it feels good now that it's finally clicked. and it makes me feel like a big boy badass, so definitely worth the time investment

i've been rocking the Lucerne for the past few days and it's a ton of fun. it does pure thrust damage, so it's great for punishing rolls and whiffed attacks with a little bit of prediction. the weapon art and R2's arent anything special, but still useful if youre grouped up on. it has the glaive moveset, so the running R1->R1 is two big downward chops, which looks cool, comes out quick, and is great for hitting bosses in the head

Dec 26, 2012

what's a good level to attempt nameless king?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

01011001 posted:

sl1

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i mean honestly if you're that deep in the game and made it thru the king's garden+the secret zones you're ready for it lol

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

01011001 posted:

i ended up needing like 14 estus, lol. i think that might be the big limited factor, tbh.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I couldn't beat it solo and had to coop it with my friend but we finally beat it when he died instantly in the first phase. I was pretty high level though.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

01011001 posted:

attempt him early just to let him know youre not scared, but probably around lvl 75-80

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Level 400

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

sector_corrector posted:

i ended up needing like 14 estus, lol. i think that might be the big limited factor, tbh.

with max estus my best run took 4.

I almost ran dry on ng+ gundyr

Soral
May 30, 2009

priscilla is such a cool boss idea and i think its a shame that some people dont fight her on principle

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Got totally owned by Seath. He's not that bad really, prolly just take me a few more tries to get him, but the run from the Dukes Archives bonfire every time is a pain in the rear end

Dec 26, 2012

HolePisser1982 posted:

attempt him early just to let him know youre not scared, but probably around lvl 75-80

i did that first part already and it super didn't work, but he knows now. 75-80 sounds good

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

should i do the painted world before kiln of the first flame? i feel like im close to finishing the game

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Frog Act posted:

should i do the painted world before kiln of the first flame? i feel like im close to finishing the game

yeah, the boss there is cool

kiln is the final area pre-dlc too

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh just so you know if you beat the final game it boots you to NG+ immediately in dark souls 1, so definitely make sure you're totally good before you fight him

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

In Training posted:

Oh just so you know if you beat the final game it boots you to NG+ immediately in dark souls 1, so definitely make sure you're totally good before you fight him

word thanks. is NG+ like considerably harder or will it be a breeze? will i retain my dad mask / zweihander?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

you keep everything but key and quest items

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

b a l l e r

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

got invaded in the painted world, felt real smug after killing the invader (he had a whip and that giant golden turban thing, lol) in two hits w/my zweihander...then i got invaded again by some dude in the black knight armor set w/queelag's furyblade or whatever who ruthlessly owned me with some kind of magma spawning fire spell. where can i get that badass spell?

also turning a corner and seeing this made me audibly go "oh poo poo" along with the first weird crow man who attacked me. awesome area

ed: found this pic while finding the last one, which is crystalcavepathfinding.jpg

lol at all the bloodstains / prism stones behind me

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 16, 2016

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
the magma spawning spell is probs great chaos fireball, you get it by joining the chaos covenant

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/pyromancies for the rest of the pyromancies, they're real fun to use in pvp

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Rafza posted:

the magma spawning spell is probs great chaos fireball, you get it by joining the chaos covenant

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/pyromancies for the rest of the pyromancies, they're real fun to use in pvp

oh huh, i already have that but mine is like, garbage compared to his...does 250-300 dmg, his was doing like twice that. also the pyro dude disappeared from firelink and i think i might have had to kill him when i went back to blighttown, does that mean i missed my chance to keep leveling my pyro hand?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
There's another pyro trainer down in the swamp

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

There's another pyro trainer down in the swamp

awesome, i wanna get my flame to +10 for the Kiln of the whatever and the final boss so i can get the most out of Power Within. its at +9 currently but im feeling a completionist urge to max things

so looking at the pyromancy i'm missing a ton. some i'll be able to get by farming some humanity and levelling up in the Chaos Servants. but for the really good ones it looks like i also need to go to Oolacile to do all the content there. can i do this stuff in NG+ or should i do it before i beat the kiln area? i'm level 103 and i'm rolling through stuff pretty efficiently at this point, i assume i'll be able to do Oolacile?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I wish I had answers for you but I never beat dark souls 1

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Frog Act posted:

awesome, i wanna get my flame to +10 for the Kiln of the whatever and the final boss so i can get the most out of Power Within. its at +9 currently but im feeling a completionist urge to max things

so looking at the pyromancy i'm missing a ton. some i'll be able to get by farming some humanity and levelling up in the Chaos Servants. but for the really good ones it looks like i also need to go to Oolacile to do all the content there. can i do this stuff in NG+ or should i do it before i beat the kiln area? i'm level 103 and i'm rolling through stuff pretty efficiently at this point, i assume i'll be able to do Oolacile?

NG+ will increase the damage and health of the monsters, and even add new spawns i think, to all zones including oolacile, so it might be worth your time going to oolacile before tackling kiln. i don't really remember but i think the soul level for pvp was 120 so you're right there in invasion range, and kiln/oolacile are primo pvp spots

imo i'd do all the optional stuff first because once you hit ng+ you're gonna have a harder time seeing/doing stuff just in general

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

word. i got my black knight great axe upgraded so its even better than the zweihander, and im leveling my endurance enough that i can wield it and the grass crest shield + heavy armor so i'm feelign confident about stuff. trying to farm up a titanite slab from the dark wraiths in new londo right now because i'm feeling compelled to finish leveling at least one lightning weapon, and right now my Lightning Greatsword is at +4 and it's frustrating me

also i felt bad for killing priscilla. is she just a lonely ghost weirdo living in a painting she imagined, and you come with her favorite doll and talk to her and she's all "hi hows it going". then when you attack her, instead of turning into something huge, she goes invisible and just tries to stab at you, and when you finally kill her, she's all "why would you do this to me? why?!" and drat, i feel like a murderer, just killing lonely princesses and stealing their souls and poo poo

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Frog Act posted:

You should do oolacile before NG+, it's a late game area and if you rush to it in NG+ for your first attempt you're gonna have a bad time

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Frog Act posted:

word. i got my black knight great axe upgraded so its even better than the zweihander, and im leveling my endurance enough that i can wield it and the grass crest shield + heavy armor so i'm feelign confident about stuff. trying to farm up a titanite slab from the dark wraiths in new londo right now because i'm feeling compelled to finish leveling at least one lightning weapon, and right now my Lightning Greatsword is at +4 and it's frustrating me

also i felt bad for killing priscilla. is she just a lonely ghost weirdo living in a painting she imagined, and you come with her favorite doll and talk to her and she's all "hi hows it going". then when you attack her, instead of turning into something huge, she goes invisible and just tries to stab at you, and when you finally kill her, she's all "why would you do this to me? why?!" and drat, i feel like a murderer, just killing lonely princesses and stealing their souls and poo poo

you're a bad person. sorry. those are the facts.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Titanite slab farming: don't let it happen to you

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

its not worth it in dark souls 1 lol

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

its not worth it in dark souls 1 lol

yeah after about 5 hours of it im fuckin done, going to oolacile and to hell w/my +4 lightning greatsword

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's probably faster to rush a slab in NG+ than to farm for it

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

golem set: 25000 souls
mask of the father: 3000 souls
power within: 8000 souls
charcoal pine resin: 500 souls

beating a brand new boss on your first try? priceless

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Frog Act posted:

golem set: 25000 souls
mask of the father: 3000 souls
power within: 8000 souls
charcoal pine resin: 500 souls

beating a brand new boss on your first try? priceless

if that's the sanctuary guardian you aint' seen nothing yet, babey

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Homework Explainer posted:

if that's the sanctuary guardian you aint' seen nothing yet, babey

yea, i just finished artorias and now i'm omw to i think manus. might double back and kill that dragon first for the slab. this area is cool as poo poo, i feel kinda bad killing all the scarecrow fellers with their clippers and pitchforks and stuff. its cool that if they don't see you they hang out trimming trees :3

so i was wondering: where do the messages from NPCs that hover above the ground come from? I just saw one with Domhnall of Zena's face that said "Magic" just randomly. they always have like a gajillion + ratings, way more ppl than I've ever been connected to at once via DSCM. are they just dynamic parts of teh game that have a chance to spawn?

speaking of rare things, i got invaded by a vagrant last night and killed it, apparently they're really uncommon, so that was super cool

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Those have usually bee placed by hackers or some similar nonsense. Dev messages don't have ratings

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

The Domnhall face on a message just indicates that it's had a huge number of positive ratings iirc

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

weird, wonder why "magic" would precipitate such a major response

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

• Locked thread