Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Rodyle posted:

Joshuu what was even the point of that

Devil Ed posted:

Joshuu is the worst

he's got a quota to meet you know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

well, having all the panels and a thorough translation cleared that bit up for sure. i guess norisuke just tried to pretend she didn't exist and so anyone younger than hato has no fuckin clue

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

jesus christ joshuu

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Jobin remains a good boy and son.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Johnny Joestar posted:

well, having all the panels and a thorough translation cleared that bit up for sure. i guess norisuke just tried to pretend she didn't exist and so anyone younger than hato has no fuckin clue

I guess we're supposed to kind of suspect that whatever Cato did, it was to protect her family in some way. Something that maybe Norisuke wasn't willing to do?

Norisuke's probably hosed soon but I think we've all always assumed that he's hosed.

I mean what Hato says she did is pretty beyond the pale, so

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

norisuke is very likely to get iced, yeah. out of anyone in this chapter he's probably up next in terms of death, to be honest.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Where's the Higashikata family sitcom

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if cato is fine with murdering a kid why couldn't she have done everyone a favor and gotten rid of joshuu????

maybe then the higashikatas could have had pancake breakfasts in peace

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I love that Caato just starts roasting her children (except for good boy Jobin) after seeing for the first time in fifteen years. "Joshuu why does your hair sucks" "Hato, you're so pretty but remember when you used to be bad at reading kanji"

Caato rules and is v. interesting

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Johnny Joestar posted:

if cato is fine with murdering a kid why couldn't she have done everyone a favor and gotten rid of joshuu????

maybe then the higashikatas could have had pancake breakfasts in peace

Maybe she's actually sort of sincere when she says she cares about them? Obviously she's really loving weird but they're all really loving weird, so

I feel sort of stupid (I'm very tired, as usual) but I don't totally get what Gappy means on Pg 17 when he says "What I need to do now actually supports the idea that my 'lost memories' once existed."

I mean I think I generally get the gist but the way it's phrased makes me feel like I can't tell if that's a continued thought after saying the memories themselves might well be unrecoverable anyway or if he's saying now he feels surer that whatever story Damo relayed was truthful, etc etc? Am I super overthinking this? Does he really just mean "what I'm going to do now is something I can do because I know more about something in my past [thanks to Damo]"

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Moltrey posted:

I love that Caato just starts roasting her children (except for good boy Jobin) after seeing for the first time in fifteen years. "Joshuu why does your hair sucks" "Hato, you're so pretty but remember when you used to be bad at reading kanji"

Caato rules and is v. interesting

I've been waiting forever for someone to point out Joshuu's stupid loving hair, god be praised.

edit: you know it's bad when THAT'S the hairstyle that I just can't accept in this series.

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Maybe she's actually sort of sincere when she says she cares about them? Obviously she's really loving weird but they're all really loving weird, so

I feel sort of stupid (I'm very tired, as usual) but I don't totally get what Gappy means on Pg 17 when he says "What I need to do now actually supports the idea that my 'lost memories' once existed."

I mean I think I generally get the gist but the way it's phrased makes me feel like I can't tell if that's a continued thought after saying the memories themselves might well be unrecoverable anyway or if he's saying now he feels surer that whatever story Damo relayed was truthful, etc etc? Am I super overthinking this? Does he really just mean "what I'm going to do now is something I can do because I know more about something in my past [thanks to Damo]"

It could be two things.

1) It's a metaphor like you're saying and the memories are what actually happened to his former self.

2) Equivalent exchange happened for him and the result is that he's missing his memories/his former life and identity.

I really need to reread again so feel free to correct this but I think that might be it.

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Sep 17, 2016

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

i think basically what he's saying is 'i may not have direct memories of my past but at least i know what i can do to continue what kira and josefumi were doing' but it's all hosed up because the translator has that issue of writing things out way too literally half the time

and the rampant u's, but that's implied at this point

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I read that line as "The reason I feel compelled to save Holly at all, despite no direct memories, is proof that those memories did happen and I am Josefumi and Kira", but Part 8's been having this problem where sometimes things are translated in a way no human would actually say it

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

All of those ideas sound equally plausible to me, thanks y'all.

Yeah it's kind of... phrased a tiny bit awkwardly, I suppose.

I feel like he's probably taking that feeling he had towards Holy that seemed unfamiliar and saying that + this drive show that he truly is the merging of these two people or whatever

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Moltrey posted:

I read that line as "The reason I feel compelled to save Holly at all, despite no direct memories, is proof that those memories did happen and I am Josefumi and Kira", but Part 8's been having this problem where sometimes things are translated in a way no human would actually say it

This does make way more sense than what I tried to say, yeah.

Poor Holly :(

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, it pretty much comes off as a direct confirmation that he is who he is, even if we pretty much already knew for sure. it's just a character-building moment, paired with him breaking down and crying in front of holly because of the combined feelings of her being kira's mom and her being sort of like a mom to josefumi

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I hope Part 8 ends with Holly adopting Josuke and now Holly has three beautiful boys in one and Yasuho has three cool boyfriends in one

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Joshuu you awful trash human being but at the same time never die because there's no catharsis in you dying, but there's tons of catharsis in you getting your rear end repeatedly owned.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Pretty sad how y'all so stuck on a one track mind that the child murderer is the lesser evil

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Caato is amazing, I love that bit where she just hands the DVD to Norisuke like it's no big deal and he starts freaking out

Josuke's in need of some cash money? Looks like the Milagro Man won't be such an irrelevant interlude after all.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Pretty sad how y'all so stuck on a one track mind that the child murderer is the lesser evil

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i dunno, sounds like that baby had it coming, think im with the cool mom on this one

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The interweaving of joshuu failing to sexually assault his mum and then getting a table through his mouth into a serious scene without breaking momentum is some expert writing.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
So, assuming Kaato's card trick is her stand, it reminds me a lot of D4C.

Also, I love how nobody else at the Higashikata house gives a poo poo about Joshuu bleeding on the floor with a chair leg through the bottom of his mouth.

I suppose the big question now is whether Kaato's victim had it coming.

And maybe what the hell is up with her hair.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Oh yeah, also, I think we've discussed this to death but even though I think most of us still go with "Gappy is basically 50/50 and the dead body is 50/50" I guess there's a little more confirmation that Gappy internally thinks of himself as Josefumi with a couple Kira chunks stuffed in there. So I guess that informs the same line I was questioning in the first place

The Sandman posted:

I suppose the big question now is whether Kaato's victim had it coming.

No way did a child have it coming. Like I said, it's gotta be a deal involving a sacrifice to protect her family in some way. She's really hosed up, clearly, but I think there's supposed to be some hint of rationale for her, or I mean that's HER rationale even if it's incredibly bad

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

The anime thread's talking about the arrows, so let me ask if I've got this right off the top of my head:

- Diavolo finds the arrowheads on some archaeological dig when he was what, 19? so in 1986?
- Enya buys some (?) of the arrows from him, while he keeps at least one to stab prospective gang initiates with
- She uses the arrows to give stand powers to DIO and some of his underlings, although a few have had their stands since childhood
- DIO gives one of the arrowheads as a gift to Pucci when they first meet, I'm assuming he gets it back when they start hanging out in Egypt
- Kira Yoshihiro, on a trip to Egypt, somehow meets Enya and obtains one of the bow and arrow sets from her (this is the bit I'm most unsure of)
- He stabs the poo poo out of his kid sometime after Reimi's murder (which was in 1983), maybe stabs himself to gain ghost photo powers
- Sometime in Keicho's adolescence (a few years before the start of DiU?) he tracks down what happened to DIO's posse and finds a bow and arrow, stabs some various Morioh residents
- Otoishi steals the bow and arrow from Keicho and kills him, goes around stabbing a couple rats
- Ghost dad grabs the arrow that was in his house and stabs even more guys, including a 6th grader and a cat

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Sucks that after how nice and quick Milagro Man was I feel like the pacing of this chapter was just awful, which is a huge problem I have with JJL in general. It always feels like a weekly paced chapter except stretched way out to make it monthly. That beetle fight took 4 months.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ryaomon posted:

Sucks that after how nice and quick Milagro Man was I feel like the pacing of this chapter was just awful, which is a huge problem I have with JJL in general. It always feels like a weekly paced chapter except stretched way out to make it monthly. That beetle fight took 4 months.

I agree, the beetle fight should have lasted at least 6 months.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

No way did a child have it coming.
Death 13. Young Dio. Boingo.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I just want to say that I'm extremely happy that Caato is back home and can start disciplining her bad pissbaby son.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
This is pure speculation on my part of me but maybe it has something to do with Higashikata Family Thing where the first born child gets that stone disease? Caato doing some Rokakaka magic to save Jobin at the Exchange of some other child would explain why Jobin is the only one allied with his mother, but I don't think the timeline works out on that. Tho sorta fits with the children with strong attachments to mothers/mother figures over saving their lives theme JoJolion has been rolling with.

Really interested to see the specifics of all this and why Jobin takes Caato's side

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the answer is simple

jobin is a good son

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Moltrey posted:

Really interested to see the specifics of all this and why Jobin takes Caato's side

Jobin is extremely Cool and Good. Caato is extremely Cool and Good.

Game recognize Game.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I agree.

i am very glad that two of some of the coolest characters in Part 8 are teaming up

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
*walks into house* hey kids whats up, sup blind daughter, you got big tits but theyre gonna get small real quick. sup son, your hair dumb af

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I feel bad for Holly. I hope she ends up ok. :smith:

Also, I know it's been mentioned but it's worth repeating. Joshuu's the loving worst.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Caato says she didnt do anything wrong, and hell, i believe her

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Rodyle posted:

Joshuu what was even the point of that

About 18 inches up his chin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

TWIST FIST posted:

Caato says she didnt do anything wrong, and hell, i believe her

The only thing that Caato could possibly have done wrong is not styling even more on her garbage son.