Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Goddamnit Shiitake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
In translating a comic, I've taken a closer look at this scene from episode 7:

Turns out the translation has been simplified (or just screwed up, who knows). It's translated as though the sign is advertising "agokui" doujinshi, which is the "chin-in-hand" from the subs. However, it's actually advertising "kabekui" dounjinshi, a portmanteau of that and "kabedon" (the aggressive wall-bang that we see You imagine herself doing in the most recent ep). The action portrayed is also such a combination. So apparently the girl's got a thing for... walls.

agokui from the ED:

kabedon from ep 11:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I've skipped one that was just Riko masturbating.

X
X
X
X

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 16, 2016

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
I don't think I've uh, seen that bottom face before. ever.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

Space Flower posted:

I don't think I've uh, seen that bottom face before. ever.

My brain trembles.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
This artist continues to make me worry

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Yeah, there's some weird stuff, but there's less than a score remaining, and there's enough in here that cracks me up, so I'll finish it out (excepting the worst of it).

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Turns out the translation has been simplified (or just screwed up, who knows)

Yeah, I noticed that at the time, I presumed they chose to simplify it because it's too long to write out in any kind of clear way.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Does anyone know if this is a two-cour show? We're up to ep. 12 now but it doesn't feel like we're anywhere close to the end if it were a one-cour show

Ep. 12 was okay, I liked how Riko bought an excessive amount of romance novels in Tokyo

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

me, liveposting in the discord posted:

SUN
SHINE
YEAH
YEAH
Lol love Yoshiko's zenkai narration

OH MY GOD
OH MY GOD
OH MY GOD

I like the girls doing their gimmick in the background
Yoshiko, of course
But also Zuramaru and eating

Yesss, now Dia's totally on board the save-the-school-with-idols plan
I mean, of course she is

Kanan of all people is the one with a fangirl
Ah, You and Ruby too
Lmao Dia
drat
This girl needs to get her head on straight
"Who might you be?" my rear end
She's the MOTHERFUCKING DIA KUROSAWA

Kanaboobs
The sisters have matching pjs :3
Hahahaha
More wall doujs
Excited kurosawas, for naught
The whole school idol thing is way more organized now than it was in muse's time
I <3 fangirl Dia
Tiny honks

They paid a good amount of money for this brief jaunt to Tokyo
KanaMari groping. This is definitely going to show up in one of the comics
Pretty water
Oh no
Riko doesn't have her douj bag

And there it is!
The realization we've been waiting for!
That the show's been building to!

In some ways it feels like it took them too long to reach this point, but really it's the main theme of the show, so it makes sense for it to also be the main arc. You can tell that when Sunshine was proposed, someone thought, "Love Live? Again? What's the point of trying to copy the original?" Now that Aqours has decided that this is to be the first chapter of their story rather than the next of μ's', we can move on to greater things next season.

A fine ep, good gags, good payoff.

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Does anyone know if this is a two-cour show? We're up to ep. 12 now but it doesn't feel like we're anywhere close to the end if it were a one-cour show

Ep. 12 was okay, I liked how Riko bought an excessive amount of romance novels in Tokyo

nothing confirmed, but I'd be shocked if we didn't get a second season in a year or so

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

the cover of volume NINTY-loving-EIGHT of Kabedon!! magazine posted:

the new "kabekui" collaboration has been decided!

a variety of kabedon situations!

-kabedon in the water!
-kabedon in the sky!
-kabedon while dancing!
-kabedon during a meal!

and over there is the even-more-niche Kabekui!! mag, volume 11 - wait

VOLUME 1100 HOLY poo poo

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
kabedon on the wall of kabekui magazines you've amassed

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
double dose, since the forums were down last night

Sea of Miracles, linked for mild NSFW X
another minor miracle: that I managed to redraw that last panel as well as I did

X
X
X
X

X
X

overall, this is much more what I signed up for

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 17, 2016

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

That Yohane previous episode recap. That Mari "OH MY GOD!" x3. That sashimi spread. That Kanan yaranaika. That kabedon doujin collection.

This episode really was the best. And I think they'll finally do "Step Zero to One" next episode after teasing it for so drat long...

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Chika's room without the u's poster is a very powerful shot. Also, Dia and Ruby are the cutest. :3:

Oh and if this show doesn't end with You and Chika simultaneously Kabedoning Riko and her fainting in their arms, then i'm going to be very disappointed.

Edit: Wait, next week's the last episode right? It's been a great season, but it doesn't feel close to the end yet. Season 2 better be announced soon.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Season 2 better be announced soon.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Season 2 better be announced soon.

:agreed:

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I think there was a missed opportunity in not making Otonokizawa the current home of some rear end in a top hat rival time.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zettace posted:

I think there was a missed opportunity in not making Otonokizawa the current home of some rear end in a top hat rival time.

Mysterious student who suddenly disappears without a trace is definitely going to be part of the group that wins the Love Live.

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

I'm pumped because Chika taking down the poster and doing her own thing is great character development and now the group is coming into it's own. But I'm sad because now it really does feel like we're letting μ's go and the fan in me still isn't ready for that.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
What's stopping them from continuing anyways? The original idolm@ster crew are in the 30s and 40s with many of them beings mothers now and they're still doing lives.

Edit: Actually Imai Asami and Takahashi Chiaki are still 39.

Edit again: Wakabayashi is 40. I never realized she was the oldest member.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Sep 18, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

This show is a masterpiece.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Endorph posted:

I agree

clamp down and keep going
Jun 19, 2013

Endorph posted:

:yeah:

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Endorph posted:

filthychimp
Jan 2, 2006
Damned dirty ape

Does Riko self-insert as the handsome girl or the wall?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

The intro alone was a masterpiece. Like it was nothing but them revealing that the show isn't cancelled and the plot will continue but they crammed like half a dozen gags in before the song played.

Also I was hoping this was the episode that Yohane sat everyone down and explained that they themselves were only together out of happenstance and that 90% of choosing a school is location.

Also also I can't loving believe the wall thing is real.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Zettace posted:

What's stopping them from continuing anyways? The original idolm@ster crew are in the 30s and 40s with many of them beings mothers now and they're still doing lives.

Edit: Actually Imai Asami and Takahashi Chiaki are still 39.

Edit again: Wakabayashi is 40. I never realized she was the oldest member.

Original Yukiho left somewhere before im@s 2, which brings up the thought of whether all of μ's would want to keep doing it. Did that ever come up in an interview or whatever? Feels like a fairly obvious question to ask.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Polsy posted:

Original Yukiho left somewhere before im@s 2, which brings up the thought of whether all of μ's would want to keep doing it. Did that ever come up in an interview or whatever? Feels like a fairly obvious question to ask.

I think they've talked about ending μ's in a number of different places. Magazine articles covering the final live, radio shows that some of the VA's regularly do dedicated a large chunk of one episode talking about it, and all of them have blogged about how they feel about ending μ's some time after the final live. I don't know much japanese so I don't want to speculate. I haven't gone out of my way to try and find much of the translated material on this stuff, but I did read that their contract has not been renewed for the roles of μ's. And I think this was largely the decision of the voice actresses themselves. Or at least that's how it's been framed. But they also said that the final live isn't necessarily the last time we'd ever see μ's, just that no new songs or concerts were planned after that.

I don't know how much dancing the im@s VA's do or how complicated their live concerts get, but μ's does all the choreography of their anime counterparts, and for a some of songs that were never animated, the performances are even more intense. Eli's VA has a knee injury that prevented her from performing for almost all of 2015 and she couldn't perform in a large number of songs for the final live. During the 5th Live the year before, you can see one of Maki's VA's knee is wrapped for the entire show. Honoka's VA had developed throat polyps in 2015 that eventually needed to be surgically removed, though it doesn't seem to have affected her voice at all. But yeah, maybe it's just not in the cards for them to keep doing this forever.

Trihugger fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Sep 18, 2016

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

LLS turned out to be a good series, totally overshadowing the original series. I'm already happy with it and all is good in the world.

By the way, happy birthday Riko-chan!

Negostrike fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 18, 2016

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I was sure this season was only twelve eps and was impressed they'd end it in such a powerful way, even if that meant putting off any real resolution to the next season. But this is probably good too.

My one gripe is that mini-honoka was too on the nose. Like maybe if the resemblance was more vague.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
If anything the resemblance should be even stronger, maybe a neon sign reading 'small honoka' that she wears

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tatum Girlparts posted:

If anything the resemblance should be even stronger, maybe a neon sign reading 'smol honkers' that she wears

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Trihugger posted:

I don't know how much dancing the im@s VA's do or how complicated their live concerts get, but μ's does all the choreography of their anime counterparts, and for a some of songs that were never animated, the performances are even more intense. Eli's VA has a knee injury that prevented her from performing for almost all of 2015 and she couldn't perform in a large number of songs for the final live. During the 5th Live the year before, you can see one of Maki's VA's knee is wrapped for the entire show. Honoka's VA had developed throat polyps in 2015 that eventually needed to be surgically removed, though it doesn't seem to have affected her voice at all. But yeah, maybe it's just not in the cards for them to keep doing this forever.

I don't really follow live concerts actually, but the impression I'm getting from looking up random im@s concert videos is that they do a lot of solos, and though they do generally follow the game choreography it's typically not too complex because it has to "work" with 0-4 other idols on the stage. I can see if you mostly did group songs it'd be a lot more work.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
It probably helps that a good chunk of the original idolm@ster cast's live events are now collaboration events with the CG cast so that takes some of the work load off their shoulders. Though you could say with Sunshine's new cast, Love Live could of also took that route.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
X
I tried to do this one a while ago, but despaired at the wordplay and went to the start of the comics. It didn't seem so bad this attempt.

again, mildly NSFW X

X
X
The artist has begun using complicated borders/backgrounds. I don't like this.

almost caught up now!

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 19, 2016

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

graybook posted:

This artist continues to make me worry

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i don't like chika's dog anymore.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014