Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Okay so I'm playing SMT4 and I'm running around Tokyo and

There's a plot to this game right? I never thought I'd find myself genuinely asking but I have no loving idea what I'm doing. I found the black samurai armor put it on and now I've just been blindly wandering around for the past 4 hours activating terminals and fighting stuff 10 levels over me. I'm completely at a loss.

Also is there a stat setup I should be aiming for. I'm level 23 with

ST: 30
DX: 20
MA: 45
AG: 35
LU: 25

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Sep 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

stop putting points into strength for the love of god

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Yeah, strength is garbage in SMT4. The only thing it does that dex doesn't do better is boost the power of your normal sword attack.

E: In that dex actually boosts the power of physical attacks more than strength does. The points in it aren't incredibly useless, but it would probably be best to put any points you would put into strength into dex from now on.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Oh... I wanted something to fall back on if I didn't have MP so it seemed like a smart idea?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Physical builds are good in IV, Dex is just better than Strength and you should never put points into the latter.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Well shoot, now I know I guess :smith:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's fine, you're early enough that it won't make a real difference either way.

(SMTIV is also really easy so it doesn't matter anyway)

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Yeah, like, the stat cap is 200 and there's a small enough difference in your spread that armor will take care of it.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I promised an adorable lounging cat and so you get one.

Morgana is the best mascot :kimchi:

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

TurnipFritter posted:

Yeah, like, the stat cap is 200 and there's a small enough difference in your spread that armor will take care of it.

As far as I know the stat cap is actually 999, just that for whatever reason once you hit 200 it just becomes a full bar.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

THE DANIELNATOR posted:

For people who played the Japanese version, what's the recommended difficulty in SMT4:A? I remember SMT4 was hard in the beginning and eventually got pretty easy at the end.

The difficulty curve in SMT4:A is a lot smoother than in SMT4. I played from start to finish on Hard and it felt pretty well-balanced, though some of the boss fights were challenging, especially since it has a tendency to throw back-to-back bosses at you. You can change the difficulty at any point so if you find it too easy or too hard you can change it on the fly. Unless you switch to the DLC super-hard difficulty, in which case you can't go back.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I have a report to make and it is that Persona 5...

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yes?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Baal posted:

exists

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
there's a persona 5 now?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Is good

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
:eyepop:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
not enough robots, I say.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Baal has finally admitted it, Persona 5 is good

truly the end times are upon us

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I take it back, you don't deserve this

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Baal only admits to Persona 5 being good when he's not talking to anyone in Something Awful

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Baal posted:

Baal posted:

Is good

the internet is forever

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Saagonsa posted:

As far as I know the stat cap is actually 999, just that for whatever reason once you hit 200 it just becomes a full bar.

Yeah, the cap is 999 and you only start to get diminishing returns after 300.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/RyougaSaotome/status/776985364703555584

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't know, I think Persona 5 is full of dickheads.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Baal posted:

Is good

I TRUSTED YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Anyways, I finished the first dungeon last night and have about a total of 10 hours put into the game here are impressions so far on the story and theming of the game, i will talk abotu the gameplay stuff after this...

-The game goes very hard on its theming. From the start, masks and faces are very important things to your identity in this game. It's even show in how character sprites are shown to you, they used to be character bodies and whatnot, but now the UI is arranged in such a way that during conversations character faces are more at profile and have more emphasis than the rest of the body. This is of course a natural thing to do in anything, but it's especially emphasized in here. Even obtaining persona is portrayed through as tearing the mask of your normal identity off and wearing your actual face, one of the will to rebel against another person you oppose.

-Everyone has a huge loving chip on their shoulder. I know that's a given since this is Persona, but I think the only Person who doesn't have something they're massively resentful for is Sojiro and he's supposed to be an authority figure of some reason not unlike Dojima. The only difference is he from the start also does not seem to trust or care for you, unlike Dojima and is housing you as a favor to your parents. Spoiler tagging character stuff I've seen so far for anyone who doesn't want to know, but this isn't super big stuff since it's just up to the first dungeon. Ryuji doesn't introduce himself to you until like well after two hours and knowing you and he's very much portrayed as using you when both you and he wind up in the Palace. His whole deal is he was gonna be a big Track and Field star, but the first Target, Kamoshida, broke his leg and hosed his career and ran his reputation into the ground. Ryuji loving despises Kamoshida and flat out calls him a monster and is insanely resentful of a lot of things because of this. He is not a super easygoing guy like Junpei or Yosuke are, he is very outwardly resentful. Anne is very reserved and not expressive at all and hates pretty much the entire foundation the school's been built open and is openly antagonistic to you for a good while, because she knows you're up to something. It's not until Kamoshida does something she feels something has to be done and turns to you for help. There's also a few other chars I've seen here and there, but idk their deal too much to say anything concrete yet.

-The first Target is an irredeemable scumbag. This is big poo poo for the first target I'm spoiling here. His name is Suguru Kamoshida and he used to be an Olympic Medalist in volleyball. He is the king of poo poo mountain in the school and is basically running it despite just being the Volleyball Coach. He makes pretty much every student's life at school a living hell, whether it be regular students, his own players, or girls he takes a liking to and I do mean he wants to gently caress them. A big thing about the first storyline is he lusts after Anne, but he also molests other girls and beats them. Anne's only friend, Shiho, is one of his targets and he tries to molest her at some point and loving stoles her in the face and you see the results. Shiho later attempts to commit suicide, but ends up injured when she hits the ground and being stretched away to a hospital. None of this is shyed away from, it is not subtle, there is nothing about this guy they portray as remotely redeemable. Whenever he is doing a faculty vs students volleyball game he spikes the ball so hard that he legit destroys some poor kids face. This leads up to an investigation where you see three students with injuries from playing against Kamoshida. One has a broken wrist among facial bruises, another with facial bruises, and the one who got hit with the ball to the face legit has bandages around his entire face. Kamoshida is at no point portrayed as regretful of any of this and starts calling you and Ryuji trash once you try to confront him about this. Hell, even the dude's intro to you is threatening to expel you before you say anything.

-The Palace is a really weirdass dungeon, but it's also not just based in the High School and is influenced by the real world in strange ways. The first palace is Kamoshida's Palace and it is the castle you saw in a lot of the trailers. More big story spoiler stuff for the first target, but I don't have much to say about the actual way the Palace works just a few musings on what's been going on... The Palace seems to be a domain that is created by someone who has ultimate influence over that domain. Kamoshida considers himself the King of Syujin High School and through his influence over the school a Palace is created that reflects him as a King with his own knights and a Princess. He seems to have no awareness of the Palace whatsoever in the real world and the Palace is just created through genuine human evil. Shadow Kamoshida is a really gross dude who is p much just naked with a robe and a speedo and his dumb crown. He pervs on Anne so hard that he has his own imaginary Anne named Princess Anne. She is in a bikini and wears cat ears, this is of course to emphasize his lust for her. It doesn't end there though as the further you get into the dungeon the more you see how gross this dude is. There are statues of the forms of high school girls in the typical gym uniform of Bloomers that only show from their breasts to right before the knees cut off at the leg. A lot of this is meant to show Kamoshida's lecherous nature and how he exists entirely through lust.

-Treasuries are a thing for every dungeon and they're also based in the deepest mentalities of the Target. Kamoshida's treasury is a huge rear end crown, that turns out to be his olympic medal, the one reason he is anything that he is. This seems to actually be something that is obtained by the protagonists in real life too since they are legit holding the actual medals next scene. The goal of every visit to a Palace seems to be stealing the treasury and confronting the Target as they transform into Shadow Versions of themselves. They are not shadow versions in the same way P4 shadow versions exist though. These shadow versions are influenced by actual demons and Kamoshida's is Asmodeus the Demon of Lust. The Palace functions on a very "What happens in the Alternate Reality happens" to you ruleset though and when you take Kamoshida's medals in the real world he's changed and seems very out of it and defeated without any real knowledge as to why.

-The game's story is told in media res. Basically, Kae Nijima is a detective who is interviewing Joker in an interrogation. Joker has had the poo poo kicked out of him by actual detectives and she walks in trying to figure out what's going on and in what way she can give help, but she needs to know what's been happening. The story at several points flashes back and forth to have Kae react to things you say and choices you make in relation to other people. This is mostly just flavor text it seems, but it's a funny thing to get.

-Igor is more of a character in this game. He actually speaks to you one to one and not through a cipher like he did in P3 and P4 for the most part. Justine and Caroline have their own s. links and do talk to you, but it is very sporadic so far and one of them is outright antagonistic to you. Also... Igor is the Fool S. Link. You're gonna hear Igor's voice in this game a lot and his new JP Voice is so loving good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Baal posted:

his new JP Voice is so loving good.

This is so loving true. His new Japanese voice actor loving owns and the dub is going to have a hard time matching it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They''ll probably just get Dan Woren again tbh and it'll be good, but not as good as this

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
On the gameplay side, a lot of things have changed and are really cool.

-Day cycles are morning, afternoon, and evening. It's still p similar to Persona 4 in that sense, but if you dungeon crawl then you can't do anything else at night, you just have to go to sleep or make items at your desk.

-The Cooperation system is just S. Links again, but it is renamed to be Coop because every S. Link has gameplay benefits now and they are also conspirators to the Phantom Thief. Some are discounts on shops by being bffs with Tae and Munehisa (He also gets you more ammo). Some get you better results in demon negotiation and gives you a do-over if things go south. One can even let you skip class and another gets you SP restoring drinks, it's really cool. Also all Party Member based Coops are how you unlock Baton Touch for other characters since they aren't immediately useable with every teammate from obtaining them.

-The One More system is exactly the same however you can use Baton Touch to sacrifice your extra turn for giving another teammate your turn instead and they get a huge boost to all of their stats.

-You don't have a lot of SP restorative options by the first dungeon, so you WILL be leaving before being able to tackle the first big story boss. You're also going to have to anyways, because confrontation with the target has to occur in real life to get them on edge enough to go boss mode.

-When you are in dungeons, they have actual design now as everyone knew, but Shadow's are loving fast. If they see you THEY WILL CHASE YOU DOWN. They are not slow either if you falter even for a second, they will knock you flat on your rear end and go to town.

-There is now an enemy danger meter. Whenever an enemy sees you it will go up, whenever you run from an enemy in battle it will go up. The only way to bring it down is to win fights so ideally this means that you just confront and kill everything all of the time. However the further you get into a dungeon the more powerful enemies get. I was fighting a loving Berith who wiped my team because I wasn't expecting him to do 3/4 of my health in one hit. There is no buddy in the Palace either to heal your SP like the thing at the front of Tartarus or The Fox, so you have an incredibly limited supply of SP. There is an auto heal button which uses up as much SP as it would take to heal your team to full. I think they want to encourage you to leave the Palace at points and stock on equipment and stuff, because they want you to actually think about approaching the palace and not just trying to one and done it like so many people did in P3 and P4.

-I have not engaged with S. Links too much so I cannot say how easy it is to do them unfortunately, but you have like four by the time the first palace is actually fully open to you.

-Arsene starts with Dark Magic. Also Dark Magic and Light Magic now have damage spells are no longer just mudo and hama instant death spells.

-Guns are cool and useful. It seems like plenty of enemies are weak to them, but you can also fire multiple bullets before you automatically stop. I don't know if there is a way to resupply without leaving the dungeon, but it seems like your ammo is very small at the start. I also thought guns were single target, but Anne's submachine gun can multiple enemies as long as you keep using the bullets to do so.

-The stealth mechanics are very easy to get behind but I found myself kind of confused with using them at first, You jump from point to point when behind cover, you can't actually shimmy along the waist high walls and whatnot.

-The first dungeon is really drat long for what is an intro to the game. Like it's crazy to me that they seriously made this as long as it was and I can only imagine how much longer others are going to get.

-The All Out Attack splash are is still loving amazing.

-The Sub-boss and boss music is some DDS boss music and I loving love it.

Also here is a video of me and Emalde talking over the game if you wanna see the game. There's a second vid on my channel, but it's like almost 4 hours long and sort of peters out halfway through, watch it before the Atluscops kill it tho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1ObmFE4XfQ

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 17, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There's also a "Detective Mode" sort of thing which highlights stealable objects, important things in the environment and lets you know enemy difficulty relative to your character. In a lot of areas it's entirely feasible to stealth through without getting noticed. This is less to avoid dying and more to save SP, which I think is really cool. Choosing when to engage enemies to properly save SP is the difference between doing the first dungeon in two days or three. (I am sure by the time the US version comes out someone'll have figured out how to drop it down to 1 day but whatevs, it obviously isn't designed to be a single day affair.)

I really really enjoyed the first dungeon and I'm basically chomping at the bit to continue on but I'm stuck doing work. I can't say the later dungeons will be necessarily as good but at very least the first dungeon is a fantastic intro to the game.,

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Stop making me excited for this game I can't play for 149 days

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Igor's a social link!? :swoon:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

We need an eyepop emoji for morgana cause all this P5 stuff sounds amazing.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Persona 3: Welcome to this Future City of Beauty, young man.

Persona 4: Welcome to this rustic rural town, city boy.

Persona 5: Welcome to Piss Zone, Tokyo, rear end in a top hat.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The GIG posted:

Persona 5: Welcome to Piss Zone, Tokyo, rear end in a top hat.

Hell yeah

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
This game sounds so loving good

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

P5 confirmed for GOTY 2014.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I am a slave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I actually managed to get an early copy of SMT4A and it's incredibly weird. The writing so far has been awful - dozens of NPCs all telling you the exact same thing that you hear incessantly in cutscenes, which compounds in annoyance by the fact that the pacing is so slow and you don't get into any fights until an hour in, demon recruiting not appearing until more than a half hour after that. It's a shame, since one of the coolest parts of SMT4 was all the NPCs that drop you plot-related information that could be totally missed otherwise. Now that I'm in the game proper it's picked up, all the new features are really good. I've already bought one of the new apps and am fusion chaining one of the new physical skills to beef up my MC, but the fact that all anyone talks about is Flynn really sort of sucks any plot interest out of the game. SMT is my absolute favorite game series but I'm about to switch over to DQ7 for a while.