Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Colonel Cool posted:

What is each edition of D&D good at anyway?

OD&D, Basic, AD&D, 2nd Edition - Nostalgia, really. If you didn't play these games back in the day you don't need to now. Even those of us who did play them and loved them then have a hard time dealing with '70s, '80s, and '90s game design. 2nd Edition was around so long that it had some neat game settings, but you can pinch the settings without playing the underlying game easily enough.

3rd Edition, 3.5, Pathfinder - Fiddly, detailed game mechanics. This can be a great thing if you're into that sort of thing, or a lovely thing if you're not. The various versions of 3E were around for a long rear end time as well, indeed Pathfinder is still around, but the legacy of 3rd is more in expanded mechanics than in settings, Eberron and some of the Pathfinder stuff aside. This means that there's a feat or spell for just about anything, but good luck finding it among dozens of books or hundreds of entries on the online resources.

4th Edition - A revolutionary game as far as D&D goes. Does away with a lot of sacred cows that had been in place since the '70s in favor of extreme game balance. Pretty much any class is balanced with every other class. The problem it has is 4E sacrifices a certain amount of verisimilitude to achieve that balance. What the gently caress is the Martial Power Source? How does it allow my Fighter to grunt and heal a sword wound, and why only once a day? Game balance. :shrug:

(To keep this OOtS related, go check out the Order of the Stick vs Order of the Stick 3E vs 4E story in Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tails for more on 3rd vs 4th.)

5th Edition - The counter-revolution. Ditching almost everything new from 4th, 5th is a compromise edition that brings back a lot of what was lost in the transition from 3rd to 4th in a looser structure that doesn't have a rule for everything. Despite being marketed as a simpler game for everyone, 5th Edition actually rewards a veteran Dungeon Master who can better judge how to fill in the gaps not covered by the rules, while punishing new DMs who can't find the rule they're looking for because said rule doesn't exist. 5E's unofficial tagline is "Ask your DM", for better or worse. Manages to annoy 3/3.5/Pathfinder fans with the loose rules and 4E fans for not being at all like 4E.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Colonel Cool posted:

jng2058 posted:

OD&D, Basic, AD&D, 2nd Edition - Nostalgia, really. If you didn't play these games back in the day you don't need to now. Even those of us who did play them and loved them then have a hard time dealing with '70s, '80s, and '90s game design. 2nd Edition was around so long that it had some neat game settings, but you can pinch the settings without playing the underlying game easily enough.

3rd Edition, 3.5, Pathfinder - Fiddly, detailed game mechanics. This can be a great thing if you're into that sort of thing, or a lovely thing if you're not. The various versions of 3E were around for a long rear end time as well, indeed Pathfinder is still around, but the legacy of 3rd is more in expanded mechanics than in settings, Eberron and some of the Pathfinder stuff aside. This means that there's a feat or spell for just about anything, but good luck finding it among dozens of books or hundreds of entries on the online resources.

4th Edition - A revolutionary game as far as D&D goes. Does away with a lot of sacred cows that had been in place since the '70s in favor of extreme game balance. Pretty much any class is balanced with every other class. The problem it has is 4E sacrifices a certain amount of verisimilitude to achieve that balance. What the gently caress is the Martial Power Source? How does it allow my Fighter to grunt and heal a sword wound, and why only once a day? Game balance. :shrug:

(To keep this OOtS related, go check out the Order of the Stick vs Order of the Stick 3E vs 4E story in Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tails for more on 3rd vs 4th.)

5th Edition - The counter-revolution. Ditching almost everything new from 4th, 5th is a compromise edition that brings back a lot of what was lost in the transition from 3rd to 4th in a looser structure that doesn't have a rule for everything. Despite being marketed as a simpler game for everyone, 5th Edition actually rewards a veteran Dungeon Master who can better judge how to fill in the gaps not covered by the rules, while punishing new DMs who can't find the rule they're looking for because said rule doesn't exist. 5E's unofficial tagline is "Ask your DM", for better or worse. Manages to annoy 3/3.5/Pathfinder fans with the loose rules and 4E fans for not being at all like 4E.

In other words they are all bad.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I would kill for Baldur's Gate or Planescape: Torment remade with Divinity: Original Sin gameplay

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

jng2058 posted:

This means that there's a feat or spell for just about anything, but good luck finding it among dozens of books or hundreds of entries on the online resources.

Hell, this is half the fun.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I've been listening to Heroes And Halfwits on my bike commute to work (hour and a half bike ride each way), which is Roosterteeth's Dungeons and Dragons show and they use 5th Edition and it seems mostly consistent with what I know of and like of 3.5e/3.75e, so I'd be happy playing it at some point, I'm sold.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
And that's not even getting into OSRIC retroclones, and Strike! and spin-off D20 games.

The most spectacularly bullshit of theseis BESM d20.

BESM stands for Big Eyes Small Mouth. It's anime.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Slashrat posted:

I would kill for Baldur's Gate or Planescape: Torment remade with Divinity: Original Sin gameplay

There was never a 4th ed turn based tactical game like Final Fantasy Tactics, was there?

Because that would have owned.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Fourth Ed managed to make spellcasting classes superior lame, IMO, so I played like one or two short lived games and never sought out another

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Rygar201 posted:

Fourth Ed managed to make spellcasting classes superior lame, IMO, so I played like one or two short lived games and never sought out another

I'll cop to being a bit of a grognard in that this was a major reason for never picking up 4e. Also I *just* got the core set just before 4e set and I wasn't spending the money twice. I paid money for the core set, by god I was going to play it.

From there it's trivial for me to justify it further along mechanics, I really do feel that spellcasters and magic users should feel mechanically different from melee classes (Spell Lists) as a "difference in kind".

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Naramyth posted:

There was never a 4th ed turn based tactical game like Final Fantasy Tactics, was there?

Because that would have owned.

The fact that there was never one is a crime, and I demand to know who's responsible.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

The fact that there was never one is a crime, and I demand to know who's responsible.
WotC's draconian licensing terms.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

4th Edition had some problems, but it was genuinely revolutionary not just for D&D but for pen and paper games in general. It brought the idea of divorcing mechanics from direct, physical simulation into the mainstream.

Stuff like your fighter using a second wind and recovering hit points, or being able to perform their most powerful attack 1/day, was there for game balance - but also, significantly, it moved away from the ramshackle idea previous editions had had that the rules were somehow a simulation of the physical properties of this fantasy world.

The game put it in writing that the reason your fighter could summon their inner strength and do something remarkable on a limited basis was because doing so was dramatic, and that to a degree, you were rewriting the story and saying, "actually, Krognor was merely grazed by the pike!", rather than invoking some power of your medieval knight to knit their wounds shut on a limited basis.

There are a lot of modern, narrative-focused RPGs that draw at least some inspiration from this kind of action being present in a mainstream game. That said - it really wasn't perfect. But as a creature of its time, it was pretty good.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Of course, OotS's entire central joke is taking the absurd proposition that D&D 3.5 realistically simulates a fantasy world to its logical conclusion. So I would argue that it is perhaps the ideal use of that storied system.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bongo Bill posted:

The lead programmer killed his partner and maybe himself IIRC, so yeah I guess it was a crime.

I wouldn't discount the old versions of d and d, metzger basic in particular is actually kind of amazing in how spare and elegant it is. 1st ed is a ridiculous gormenghast of retarded edge case rules and terrible writing, but has an amazing set of magic items, and a classic array of modules.

Fourth ed is important, and pretty good fun, but definitely flawed in how the solid SRPG style combat engine interacts with the loose but effective out of combat play. Also, its modules were crap.

13th age is a better game that also has Eyes of the Stone Thief which is basically the best megadungeon ever written.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 17, 2016

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ikanreed posted:

The one your friends enjoy with you.

The one you can personally best sit around a table and enjoy.

But probably not second edition.

What makes you single out second edition? I thought it held up better than third edition, personally.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
A thing you missed from 4e: it is now super easy to build an encounter that will challenge a party without demolishing them. A 3e GM building an encounter has to take into account all sorts of things to do with enemy level and know the system inside out to build an encounter; a 4e gm (barring a few things to do with high-level solos) just spends their encounter budget on enemies and goes hog wild.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Bongo Bill posted:

Probably the fact that there were only 4 years between 4e's release and the announcement that 5e was being made. Not much of a development window there.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Colonel Cool posted:

3.5 is good at being why haven't you switched to pathfinder ffs.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
And Pathfinder is good at being "Oops sorry I rolled that wrong, I was thinking of 3.5 rules"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

jng2058 posted:

What the gently caress is the Martial Power Source? How does it allow my Fighter to grunt and heal a sword wound, and why only once a day? Game balance. :shrug:
Martial is plain old training. You handle a sword and shield for several hours every day of your life, you've survived on the mean streets since early childhood, you've spent all your life living in the woods, you survived countless fights and picked up on the patterns.

The healing thing depends kind of on your understanding of what it means to lose HP. If you see them as a strict measure of how physically wounded you are, and therefore each healing effect is the healing of a physical wound, then sure it's not gonna seem realistic, but there are a few things at play here. First, you ignored the actual definition of HP as a generalized measure of endurance, luck and resolve, all rolled into one value. Second, the main method of healing in 3.5 was cleric magic, which thanks to the way the game was set up was actual magic in the fiction as well (and the fact that the spells were all called Cure ___ Wounds only reinforced the notion that HP loss = physical wound). 4E introduced, perhaps a bit too stealthily, the idea that healing could come in many different forms, and wasn't limited by one man's magical ability, but by your own physical and mental reserves (healing surges). Maybe a cleric casts a spell that knits your flesh back together, but maybe they just pray and you find the power to carry on with their god's blessing so obviously upon you. You may be bleeding badly but in the face of the warlord's encouraging words - or his bellow of "get up and fight, maggot, you can die when the king is safe!" - you somehow pull yourself back together. And the fighter may be able to tap into those reserves himself, but not as often or as reliably as the warlord who keeps his soldiers alive for a living.

The daily power thing is totally game balance. But so is everything. Why can a wizard only cast X spells a day? Game balance.

quote:

Manages to annoy 3/3.5/Pathfinder fans with the loose rules and 4E fans for not being at all like 4E.
Personally it annoys me not that it's so unlike 4E, but that it's so like 3.5. It's part the games equivalent to filming a lovely sequel so you don't lose the license, and part Mike Mearls' having the power to define what D&D is. The man obviously couldn't stand 4E and tried to rewrite it to be more like earlier editions the entire time he was in charge of it. At least do something new.

e: all that being said 4E is excellent at being Tabletop Final Fantasy Tactics With Friends, but its outside combat stuff needs some work to say the very least.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

What are the main non-D&D systems to consider if you want to play in a D&D setting?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

What are the main non-D&D systems to consider if you want to play in a D&D setting?
D&D Retroclones (I can't name any good ones offhand, but there's a thread for it here.)
Fellowship is really good at capturing that LOTR-style game, while Beyond The Wall is great for that more storybook feel.
Torchbearer is great for "oppressive and deadly dungeon crawl where you're tracking torches and rope and food and hoping at least some of you survive".
Mouse Guard is... hard to describe without making it sound terrible. Best description I can think of, it's like Redwall, except everybody's Aragorn but also a mailman.
Alternatively: "Fantasy Pony Express, except you're mice and everything wants to eat you."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

13th Age is essentially two former D&D designers' idea of D&D if you weren't bound to D&D's product identity and could completely throw out and introduce elements at will.

And I guess you have to mention Pathfinder but you knew about that one.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

Nap Ghost

NihilCredo posted:

Let me tell you about Dungeon World my friend

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Whybird posted:

Let me tell you about Dungeon World my friend
Ehhhhh. Dungeon World is kind of a victim of people not knowing the best way to handle PBTA mechanics when it came out. Like yeah, you can definitely make it work, but it's, ironically, just a little too tied to some of the old D&D things. I mean, you can definitely make it work, but it's best enjoyed with some of the fan-made classes and a bit of knowledge about how to really make the system work for you rather than against you. For a new player, Fellowship does all that but better, I think.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

NihilCredo posted:

GURPS is my favorite, but I know lots of people don't like it. Warhammer Fantasy RP is really great if you understand you will die, but it has the best critical hit table in the world.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Colonial Air Force posted:

GURPS is my favorite, but I know lots of people don't like it. Warhammer Fantasy RP is really great if you understand you will die, but it has the best critical hit table in the world.

i'd never heard of this and decided to look it up

http://wfrp1e.wikia.com/wiki/Critical_Hits

quote:

Your blow cleaves open your opponent's skull, causing them to collapse instantly. Your opponent will die in D4 rounds unless medical attention is received and must make a successful T test at a -20 penalty or lose D3x10 points from each percentage characteristic as a result of permanent brain damage.

:haw:

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Nap Ghost
Sorry, but there's only one critical hit table for me.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

quote:

The victim erupts in a ball of flame, staggering D3 years in a random direction before falling to the ground dead.
Emphasis mine. I know it's a typo, but I'm just imagining some poor schmuck being stuck stumbling and on fire for 1-3 years, burning continuously until they keel over.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

NihilCredo posted:

FATE, Strike! and 13th age, really.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Anybody else ever play Amber Diceless RPG?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

FATE, Strike! and 13th age, really.

This except please don't play DnD in Fate if you are doing a combat heavy game. Combat heavy Fate games have several problems, including scaling and skill allocation.

The Amber diceless RPG is cool but very rough. Check out Nobilis for a much more refined look at the same kind of idea, albeit a poorly laid out one.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Glory of Arioch posted:

I remember a magazine made a table like that for Werewolf: the Apocalypse. One of the result for a hit to the head was "brain turned into pulp, instant death unless the character is a Get of Fenris, in which case no vital organ is damaged."

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Rygar201 posted:

Anybody else ever play Amber Diceless RPG?

Yeah. Remember what I said about D&D 5E rewarding experienced GMs but punishing new ones? That x100. With a great GM you can have a great game, with a new one or a bad one, a terrible time full of arbitrariness. Even a good GM can have things go out of control quickly if they're not careful

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 18, 2016

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
From my own experience running PF (basically 3.7) vs 5E.

gently caress Pathfinder so much. It was AWFUL. Every session was an exercise in pain and frustration, quarter because I wasn't good at DMing it, a quarter because my player base was awful and half because it's so unfun on the combat end of things. There was never an encounter that was fun for the players, they either crushed it or it simply wasn't enjoyable, and it wasn't enjoyable if they crushed it. We went through every class, players being angry at other players for "trivializing everything" and minute arguments over what could be done when where and why.

In comparison, 5E was a breath of fresh air. Combat was always fun because it never scaled ridiculously with number inflation, There was no questions about the who, what, where, why. No one felt overpowered. And, my personal like, when I was in the player group, my DM gave me a Stand. And it didn't require gripping our hair wondering how it worked. "It extends your range by 10 feet and acts as a physical body tethered to you, if it's hit you're hit." Great, simple, if I wanted to do something unique with it, I'd get a "Yes/No" and it would be the end of it.

This same game group, going to play Star Wars Saga's was incredibly depressed, nearly ganked by the starting enemies in every encounter, and never once started to have anything remotely approaching fun until around session 7 when we finally hit level 3.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 18, 2016

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What is a Stand? I've seen lots of people using it as a proper noun lately.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Glory of Arioch posted:

Your name reminds me: is/was there an Elric rpg?

e: ohh right :google::doh: : Stormbringer by chaosium

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

greatn posted:

What is a Stand? I've seen lots of people using it as a proper noun lately.

Most probably they're using it as a reference to JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, where a Stand is a spirit that "stands" by you and helps you fight in your time of need.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Onmi posted:

This same game group, going to play Star Wars Saga's was incredibly depressed, nearly ganked by the starting enemies in every encounter, and never once started to have anything remotely approaching fun until around session 7 when we finally hit level 3.

Probably the greatest innovation 4e offered, in my opinion, was front-loaded hit points. Starting with enough hit points to survive more than one or two attacks makes combat way more fun at 1st level. There's nothing more depressing than going up into a combat with like four skeletons or something and you hit one and it dies, and it's like "yeah, badass," and then their initiative comes up and you go down in one hit. 3.x 1st level was rocket tag - you get hit, you explode.

(Actually, the greatest innovation 4e offered was making non-magic classes interesting to play.)

Whybird posted:

Sorry, but there's only one critical hit table for me.

Okay, so, I'm irrationally angry at (1d100)%. What the gently caress does that mean? Do you roll d100 to determine the percentage, then roll another d100 and see if that's below the percentage (as normal for % rolls)? If so, that's actually a 50% chance - that's the odds that one d100 roll will be lower than another. Well, actually, it's 50.5% because they could tie. Why not just say "50%"?

My other question is whether getting your dick hacked, as a male character, also reduces "bodily attractiveness".

Where's this table from? Hackmaster? That's my guess because I am desperately hoping that this is a parody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

DontMockMySmock posted:

Probably the greatest innovation 4e offered, in my opinion, was front-loaded hit points. Starting with enough hit points to survive more than one or two attacks makes combat way more fun at 1st level. There's nothing more depressing than going up into a combat with like four skeletons or something and you hit one and it dies, and it's like "yeah, badass," and then their initiative comes up and you go down in one hit. 3.x 1st level was rocket tag - you get hit, you explode.

(Actually, the greatest innovation 4e offered was making non-magic classes interesting to play.)

Okay, so, I'm irrationally angry at (1d100)%. What the gently caress does that mean? Do you roll d100 to determine the percentage, then roll another d100 and see if that's below the percentage (as normal for % rolls)? If so, that's actually a 50% chance - that's the odds that one d100 roll will be lower than another. Well, actually, it's 50.5% because they could tie. Why not just say "50%"?

My other question is whether getting your dick hacked, as a male character, also reduces "bodily attractiveness".

Where's this table from? Hackmaster? That's my guess because I am desperately hoping that this is a parody.

I love that entry you're mad at because the war I read it there's a (d100%) chance your baby grabs the weapon that just hit its momma in the crotch and jumps out ready to throw down.