Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Both cores are really good. You can't go wrong getting either, but you're in great shape if you get both!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
For the core set, you get Biggs who is a good wingman for a large ship, particularly the Ghost. Or just in general. Luke ain't bad either if you wanna fly a T-65. The named TIE pilots aren't exceptional but Dark Curse and Mauler Mithel are pretty okay if you wanna run non-generic TIEs.

The F/O TIE also has a better dial too, they gave it segnors loops in addition to a K-turn so it's got more turnaround options.

e: also if you get one of each core, you'll have 6 attack/defense dice so you can do 4-die attack rolls without having to borrow an opponent's die.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I'll never understand why they included 3 and 3 dice in the core set, when even with included ships and upgrades you'll need to roll 4 (proton torpedos, range 1 x-wing shot, or TIE fighter defending at range 3 and/or obstructed)

I did a mini-swarm in a game recently with 3 TIE f/os with weapons guidance. It performed pretty well, and those sloops really add some interesting options for swarm maneuvering. It was fun, I recommend trying it.

dogsarentdangerous
Aug 11, 2008

canyoneer posted:

I'll never understand why they included 3 and 3 dice in the core set, when even with included ships and upgrades you'll need to roll 4 (proton torpedos, range 1 x-wing shot, or TIE fighter defending at range 3 and/or obstructed)

I did a mini-swarm in a game recently with 3 TIE f/os with weapons guidance. It performed pretty well, and those sloops really add some interesting options for swarm maneuvering. It was fun, I recommend trying it.

The answer is extra dice packs make $$$.

I have 3 core sets - its the cheapest way to build a TIE swarm.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Been meaning to take a picture of this guy's ship at league.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Been meaning to take a picture of this guy's ship at league.

What pilot skill is Emily Elizabeth?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

canyoneer posted:

What pilot skill is Emily Elizabeth?

She only comes as crew.

(actually, is there any names characters other than Palp and Epic only characters that aren;;t in teh game as pilots)

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

bunnyofdoom posted:

She only comes as crew.

(actually, is there any names characters other than Palp and Epic only characters that aren;;t in teh game as pilots)

Leia?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

Hmm. Greedo? Although I'm not sure if he's actually a qualified pilot or not - only that his bonus should be something about taking unblockable damage to his ship, whenever he attempts to take a shot at an enemy with a higher PS :v:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Major Isoor posted:

Hmm. Greedo? Although I'm not sure if he's actually a qualified pilot or not - only that his bonus should be something about taking unblockable damage to his ship, whenever he attempts to take a shot at an enemy with a higher PS :v:

Greedo:
After you declare the target of attack, if you are in their arc, they may attack you first. If they do, they are unable to attack in the attack phase.

Essentially make him biggs-esque?

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Major Isoor posted:

I'm disappointed Greedo doesn't mess with the order ships shoot.

At the start of the combat phase, select one enemy ship in arc at range 1-3. For the remainder of the combat phase you must swap pilot skills with that ship.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Greedo shooting first and allowing uncancellable hits in return would be a fine ability. :mrgw:

Then the party bus really gets rolling.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

Greedo:
After you declare the target of attack, if you are in their arc, they may attack you first. If they do, they are unable to attack in the attack phase.

Essentially make him biggs-esque?

This seems pretty good - he should be PS8 I think as well, especially because it means PS9+ pilots like Han can shoot in their attack phase, then shoot Greedo again in Greedo's attack phase, with no repercussions, heh (It's an exploit from the choice of wording on the 'card' that shouldn't be fixed; so he's quite good/Biggs-ish against worse pilots, but against someone like Han he'll typically end up dead on the ground, like he should be) :v:

EDIT:

Chill la Chill posted:

Greedo shooting first and allowing uncancellable hits in return would be a fine ability. :mrgw:

Then the party bus really gets rolling.

Yeah, that was what I was thinking - so he's guaranteed to go down in flames, but with the right crewmembers, etc. he's gonna bring everyone else down with him!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Here's Miranda Doni firing Advanced Proton Torpedos with her ability's boost, and an extra die from Jan Ors.

Party's over, party bus.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Did it die?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

I makes me super upset people dont end posts like that with 'I have you now'

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

bunnyofdoom posted:

Did it die?

It wasn't my game, so I don't know for sure but I think yes.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Good I'm glad of it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

A-Wing: · Jake Farrell (24)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Chardaan Refit (-2)
Autothrusters (2)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)
Push The Limit (3)

X-Wing: · Luke Skywalker (28)
Adaptability (Increase) (0)
· R2-D2 (4)
Integrated Astromech (0)

T-70 X-Wing: · Poe Dameron (33)
Push The Limit (3)
· R5-P9 (3)
Integrated Astromech (0)
· Black One (1)

Good defensively but not enough firepower perhaps?

Is there another ship that can remove tokens in rebels? Stress Janson and the Black One title, anything else?

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Sep 16, 2016

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
What about rage Tycho instead of Jake?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Finster Dexter posted:

What about rage Tycho instead of Jake?

That could work. Less defense but he'll hit a lot harder.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

That could work. Less defense but he'll hit a lot harder.

Rage tycho doesnt actually hit much harder than jake.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Are Manaroo and Targeting Coordinator (for epic ships only) the only cards that allow giving one ship another ship's blue TL token?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Col. Jendon in the shuttle too I think.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

hoiyes posted:

Col. Jendon in the shuttle too I think.

Ah yes, indeed. I wish he wasn't 29 pts with Weapons Engineer. For 22 pts I can get a Bomber Buddy with Weapons Engineer and Systems Officer, which gets me almost the same thing, although not as beefy as a shuttle, admittedly.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

I think FFG should've included TIE Mk. II in Imperial Veterans. If I want 3 I have to buy two TIE Punishers. Icky.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Currently 2-0 at Australian nationals with a double Ghost + Y-Wing list.

There 5 or 6 double ghost lists at the top tables, it's crazy.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

KongGeorgeVII posted:

Say 'hi' to Gary from South Australia for me, if you see him! Not sure what he's using, but he said he won against Adam (w/ Contracted Scout, Guri and Zuckuss) in round won and Lachlan (w/ Bossk and Tel) in round two. Hopefully both of you make it to the finals!

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

KongGeorgeVII posted:

Nice! I'm currently 2-0 with Miranda & Friends.

I was going to bring my Crack Swarm, but I haven't been sleeping well, so I brought my favourite list because it's easy to fly.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
So, there's a local league going on that is geared toward being inviting to new players and encouraging experienced players to try ships and builds they normally wouldn't - 60 points, at least one named pilot, and that pilot cannot be used again throughout the duration of the league. They expected about 12 people, so the format is just to fight against each other player until everyone has fought everyone. 25 people signed up, so its going longer and its been pretty awesome so far.

Tonight, I was flying Night Beast, Zeta Ace, and Lt. Lorrir against someone using 3 M3-A's, Laetin and 2 Tansarii Vets with Flechette cannons. Came down to Night Beast and a Tansarii Vet arc dodging and out-maneuvering for 20 minutes. Then there was mutual destruction , followed by 3 final salvo roll-offs because we tied the first 2. It was perhaps the most fun I have had with this game in a long time.

Stepping away from the constant grind of tournament play has reminded me why I like this game so much.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Stream of Aus Nationals if anyone wants to watch: https://www.twitch.tv/generalgamesaus

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Those upgrade marquees are annoying.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I just lost my third game to Biggs/Kanan. Blimey it's difficult to put the damage on. I ended up killing Biggs and getting half points on the Ghost though.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Endman posted:

I just lost my third game to Biggs/Kanan. Blimey it's difficult to put the damage on. I ended up killing Biggs and getting half points on the Ghost though.

As someone who likes to fly Biggs and Kanan, that's a tough matchup for your list. Even when you can shoot at the Ghost, he can tank twice as many TLT volleys as Miranda, but he also fires twice as many back.

Endman
May 18, 2010

canyoneer posted:

As someone who likes to fly Biggs and Kanan, that's a tough matchup for your list. Even when you can shoot at the Ghost, he can tank twice as many TLT volleys as Miranda, but he also fires twice as many back.

True that.

I just came up against another difficult list - Party Bus + two Bumpmasters, all with Feedback Array. I lost, but I'm pleased with the result. I killed one Jumpmaster and got half points on the other and on the Party Bus.

Not too shabby for a list that hasn't been competitive since Wave 8 came out.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Well it's the next morning and I ended up going 5-1 so I'm heading back in for the top 16 now.

Only 2 wins away from those shiny templates!

Endman posted:

Was that a guy called Albert? If so he plays at my local and he is pretty drat good. He crushed me with it while I was flying triple Defenders.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

KongGeorgeVII posted:

Well it's the next morning and I ended up going 5-1 so I'm heading back in for the top 16 now.

Was that a guy called Albert? If so he plays at my local and he is pretty drat good. He crushed me with it while I was flying triple Defenders.

Nice work, dude. I'll be watching the stream again, I don't think you were on it yesterday. Round six feature table, had a two ghost Y list though and was an amazing game.

Endman posted:

Nice! I'm currently 2-0 with Miranda & Friends.

KYBA?

Endman
May 18, 2010

KongGeorgeVII posted:

Nice work! I don't think this guy was named Albert, but I don't really remember.

I ended up 2-4 at the end of the day, which was a bit disappointing, but pretty much expected since I was using such an old list. Still had a great day and managed to claw at least 50 MOV from every match I lost.

Sure was.

In retrospect, I should have taken my Zuckuss, UBoat, Feedback Zs list if I wanted something easy, fun and more current. Four ship Rebels is dead against nearly every top-tier meta list due to the insane damage-creep the game is experiencing at the moment. I never felt like I was flying that poorly, aside from a few situations in hindsight, but taking a withering amount of 4+ die attacks from things like VCXs and eating damage through defence from Crack Shot melted my list so fast it wasn't funny.

MVP of the day goes to my Prototype Pilot A-Wing for killing three TIE Fighters and surviving the game against the TIE Crack Swarm.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

It wasn't me on the stream but I was playing my 6th round game on the table next to it. There was a pretty big crowd and they got a round of applause at the end.

The meta at the Australian nationals was crazy. There were 24-25 ghosts on tables and I'm pretty sure they outnumbered jumpmasters. I'm not sure how many others made it through to top 16 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Blast from the past list. Tractor beam Defenders were the last nail in the coffin for that list. B wings are just cannon fodder these days, they are going to need an upgrade (like the new tie mod) to help them tank big hits to stay relevant.

I'm flying named TIE fighter swarms until wave 10. Then Coordinate Soontir because it's disgusting.

• Locked thread