Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

zen death robot posted:

the iPad mini seems pointless these days
I still have an iPad mini 1 that I use as a YouTube screen and it suits my needs. although a $50 kindle fire would presumably work just as well I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Soldier of Fortran posted:

the ipad mini has the same aspect ratio as the ipad (normal)

Really? I thought I remembered hearing developers getting all mad because the iPad mini didn't scale perfectly or something

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
posting this from my black iPhone 7 128GB

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

i like the implicit assumption that the shortest lifespan item on the iphone is the lightning port and not the battery

literally 100% of the time i've heard of people having a problem with the lightning port, it's because they got lint in there

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
my next employer is giving me a decked out 15" macbook pro. just wanted to let you guys know. ok cya guys

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

been using my new 7 for half a day now, it's very needs suiting. thanks tim.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Necc0 posted:

my next employer is giving me a decked out 15" macbook pro. just wanted to let you guys know. ok cya guys

Tale care! Have a good weekend

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Sniep posted:

the airpods come with a charging case tho specific for them. idgi.

i meant the earpods that come in the iphone box

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

i like the implicit assumption that the shortest lifespan item on the iphone is the lightning port and not the battery

mating and demating cycles are a real concern in reliability tbh

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Citizen Tayne posted:

who's the lucky guy? lol

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

zen death robot posted:

the iPad mini seems pointless these days

It's great as a point of sale in the taco truck. I have an iPad mini 2 with a cell radio so I can take credit cards anywhere.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

THC posted:

The iPhone 7's missing headphone jack is more than just inconvenient. It may cause a major durability issue.

While the iPhone 7 is built unsurprisingly well, the Lightning jack likely still has the same lifespan. This would be fine if you didn't have to share the iPhone 7's Lightning jack between your charger and your headphones. But you do.

According to the good people at JerryRigEverything, what Apple essentially did was cut your iPhone's lifespan in half, since any port will experience some wear and tear with every insertion. However many thousand insertions the Lightning port is rated for, it will now likely suffer double.

Nevertheless, the iPhone 7 is a durability marvel in many ways.

Like many of the iPhones that came before it, its screen, home button (now operated solely by touch), and camera are solidly scratch-proof. It is water-resistant like the Samsung Galaxy, and more durable than the Galaxy given its metal buttons. It can also, very impressively, withstand direct contact with a flame for up to ten seconds before its pixels will turn off, and it will recover quickly if they do.

The iPhone 7 is a well-built phone, but is it worth having to worry about the Lightning port possibly cutting your time with it short? That's up to you, and it probably depends on whether you plan to buy Apple's new AirPods and or some other pair of wireless headphones.

jerry should rig himself some extra brain cells

poty
Jun 21, 2008

wow this is yonkers

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Necc0 posted:

tell them to wait until apple upgrades them or youll be getting a year old one

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

poty posted:

enjoy waiting until the heat death of the universe

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Really? I thought I remembered hearing developers getting all mad because the iPad mini didn't scale perfectly or something
not just the same aspect ratio but the exact same resolution. it's just the dpi that's higher.

lol but also how did it come to pass that you are able to recognize sa goon marco arment by sight?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Soldier of Fortran posted:

not just the same aspect ratio but the exact same resolution. it's just the dpi that's higher.

lol but also how did it come to pass that you are able to recognize sa goon marco arment by sight?

i follow him on twitter and he tweeted the link to it.

plus he's quasi-famous among ios developers, so lots of people know what he looks like.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

poty posted:

you're not too bright huh

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

poty posted:

wow this is yonkers

not really

ridge hill is basically on its own little hill not near the rest of yonkers sitting off the sprain brook parkway and next to the nys thruway.

there used to be a neat little nursery that was bulldozed so they could turn it into an access road

we would always drive by it on the way to my grandparents house near the factory

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Let's say I wanted to buy a refurbished Mac laptop for personal use in the near future and I expect I will end up mostly using it plugged in at a desk with an external monitor. Is the 2015 Macbook Pro significantly better than the 2015 Macbook Air in ways that matter besides the screen

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
IDK, i have it cranked to max force and i'm getting used to it.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

any product criticisms aside i don't understand how there's a 3-5 week wait on the series 2 watches considering it's only ever so slightly different

also i've seen a couple pics of the ceramic and it kinda looks like cheap poo poo compared to regular stainless steel

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

the gps seems nice for limited use cases like biking but from what i remember reading it kills the battery super fast so it's probably just easier to keep using the phone in your jersey's back pocket and/or get a garmin

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Lift-to-wake is messing with my muscle memory.

edit: coming from an iPhone 6, the touchid on this thing is fast as gently caress.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

zen death robot posted:

the haptic home button feels wierd

its just the back of the phone kicking back when you touch it

have you figured out how to shuffle in music yet

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

triple sulk posted:

the gps seems nice for limited use cases like biking but from what i remember reading it kills the battery super fast so it's probably just easier to keep using the phone in your jersey's back pocket and/or get a garmin

guess I'll keep using The Grint when I'm golfing on my series 0. so I can read the yardage and then shank the ball into the woods

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

reported for helldump

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's great as a point of sale in the taco truck. I have an iPad mini 2 with a cell radio so I can take credit cards anywhere.

was gonna ask why you don't just use your phone but then I remembered that the iPhone does not have a headphone jack. lomarf

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

zen death robot posted:

the iPad seems pointless these days

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
should I get the space grey or silver aluminium Apple Watch I like the overall look of the darker one better as a package with the strap but feel the silver one might be better with other straps?

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
*asks nerd forum for fashion advice*

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

lol the one feature that might have gotten me to install iOS 10 was going to be third party app support in siri. i checked to see if spotify had been updated to support it yet and

quote:

SiriKit support is divided into domains, each of which defines one or more tasks that can be performed. In order to support SiriKit, apps must support one of the following domains:

VoIP calling

Messaging

Payments

Photo

Workouts

Ride booking

CarPlay (automotive vendors only)

Restaurant reservations (requires additional support from Apple)
what a worthless piece of poo poo this Internet Macintosh Pod Phone Operating System is

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i deleted slither.io off my ipad because the ads in ios 10 are unskippable for 5 seconds and kept blaring bullshit so gently caress the snake game.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Pissflaps posted:

should I get the space grey or silver aluminium Apple Watch I like the overall look of the darker one better as a package with the strap but feel the silver one might be better with other straps?

it should match your phone imo so theyll get along well

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

zen death robot posted:

it's the future and we're all just getting old

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

GameCube posted:

lol the one feature that might have gotten me to install iOS 10 was going to be third party app support in siri. i checked to see if spotify had been updated to support it yet and

what a worthless piece of poo poo this Internet Macintosh Pod Phone Operating System is

It's very bad.

Apr 7, 2003

iOS 10 "Candy Corn"

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

GameCube posted:

was gonna ask why you don't just use your phone but then I remembered that the iPhone does not have a headphone jack. lomarf

square has a Bluetooth card reader that allows them to also accept chip & tap to pay cards, as well as apple pay.

Apr 7, 2003

Doc Block posted:

square has a Bluetooth card reader that allows them to also accept chip & tap to pay cards, as well as apple pay.

More like Doc Cylinder. lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Pissflaps posted:

get the steel, it looks best.

• Locked thread