Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Apparently I look too poor to buy my own dinner.

I should have ordered a dozen oysters instead of the half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Apparently I look too poor to buy my own dinner.

I should have ordered a dozen oysters instead of the half.

Did you get a boyfriend?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

If only.

So lonely.

:forkbomb:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Does anyone else find the Navy's releasing of relatively standard or inconsequential poo poo kind of troubling?

I'm referring to IRGCN encounters, a video today on LCS shock trials, and other sword rattling bullshit?

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Boon posted:

Does anyone else find the Navy's releasing of relatively standard or inconsequential poo poo kind of troubling?

I'm referring to IRGCN encounters, a video today on LCS shock trials, and other sword rattling bullshit?

Meh, considering we're still the largest force and there's only been a few decades of our existence where we weren't at war it doesn't really matter.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Oh man, how I missed AFN commercials.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Sailor onboard the Ike reports to sick call with abdominal pain; gives birth.

Talking about this at the office, we're surprised that they didn't send her away with some motrin and tell her to come back the next day.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Talking about this at the office, we're surprised that they didn't send her away with some motrin and tell her to come back the next day.

The baby was assigned to deck division,and was verbally counseled for crying and making GBS threads themselves during quarters.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
First deployment as a Seabee wrapping up soon. We are a giant waste of money as a community, but at least it isn't a ship. namaste

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

maffew buildings posted:

First deployment as a Seabee wrapping up soon. We are a giant waste of money as a community, but at least it isn't a ship. namaste

The navy doesn't have the heart to cut a bunch of morons loose in this construction economy

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Kawasaki Nun posted:

The navy doesn't have the heart to cut a bunch of morons loose in this construction economy

Based on quality of work and construction knowledge most personnel would be unqualified and fired quickly anyway. Also the whole being able to show up to work on time and actually work thing

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

idk why Seabees and hell half the Mil aren't just a reserve force

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Seabees do not have a capability that isn't replicated by the other services, and basically no true combat engineering capability. Unless WW3 breaks out the community will keep being reduced in all likelihood

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Wingnut Ninja posted:

We had that happen on the Reagan right around the time I left. I asked the doc how on earth that happens and she said a combination of obesity and the power of denial.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Kawasaki Nun posted:

But enough about the Marine Corps...

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I just had a fine Navy day. I know the forums are all burned out and jaded, but this much concentrated patriotism can burn through that.

Start this morning with PFA weigh-ins. The CFLs say "we're adding an inch to everyone's height, and taking one away from the tape." Good deal, guys.

Then everyone changes into dress whites for the Chiefs' Pinning. That's a good, old-fashioned ceremony. Thirty-two year Command Master Chief (retired) gave the speech, and he was so full of pride it shone through and infected everyone.The Chiefs and selectees were all running on at most 3 hours' sleep and looked rough. Still, they made a really good show of it, and everyone looked good in their whites.

Then a tasteful catered lunch of nothing messy, since the CO knew we'd all be in whites.

Then a Change of Command. Of course the incoming and outgoing COs, but also the region CO. Both the COs are Academy Graduates and pilots, so they checked EVERY block on the ceremonies. We got a full combined Marine and Navy color guard. We got a Presentation of the Flag like you see at funerals, with all due Honors and Ceremony. We had a few Captains for guest speakers, both retired and not. They talked about family, honor, country, duty, and did it from the heart.

Then the CoC reception was catered, with coolers of beer at the ends of the tables.

Just goes to show, folks, the Reserves aren't all bad, and a little bit of hundred-year-old tradition can rekindle (or kindle) that sense of pride and professionalism into pretty much anyone.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Just lmao if you're still in

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

That was a reserve function? Yikes.

I uh.... started class early and we finished up in two hours. Dam Neck seems kind of layed back.
Went to bar and got buzzed.
Friday's are nice at school.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
You uhh..like giant waste of time ceremony?

Get out.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

God I hated retirement ceremonies of chumps I didn't even know

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I preferred them because when they listed the person's accomplishments and all that "in keeping with the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service" stuff I could maybe fool myself into believing it was true and that maybe they weren't a piece of poo poo like all the people I worked with. odds are though...

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Last drill weekend went to our unit LCPO's retirement. Sitting through yet another reading of "The Watch" and being in SDBs in early September was worth it because afterwards he had many pounds of pulled pork and about $300 worth of beer, in addition to the engraved bottle of Jack Daniels that he insisted several of us pass around until it was gone.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I just checked into my new NOSC and did accounting and statistics homework on my laptop during indoc.

It was pretty cool I guess.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I just had a fine Navy day. I know the forums are all burned out and jaded, but this much concentrated patriotism can burn through that.

loving lol

Last drill weekend I stood through a 3 hour long retirement ceremony, I made a horrible mistake.

This drill weekend Ive been doing homework and trying not to pass out, although if I did...would anyone care?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Why the gently caress would you go to a retirement for someone you didn't know?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

ManMythLegend posted:

uhh

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

ManMythLegend posted:

The one I went to was because they wanted service members standing in the back and I was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I imagine most people go to retirements on a similar voluntold basis.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

They always need a mob of people in dress uniform to snap to attention on the queue

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
I've never seen seen a voluntold retirement. Sorry you guys worked with people so lovely they couldn't find anyone to volunteer to read "The Watch" or whatever I guess.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, getting voluntold to go to one of those things is pretty common on my boat, even if you're not on duty that day.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

ManMythLegend posted:

I've never seen seen a voluntold retirement. Sorry you guys worked with people so lovely they couldn't find anyone to volunteer to read "The Watch" or whatever I guess.

Our problem was that they were always scheduled at like 9 or 10 AM in our building (which had the command auditorium). Unless you had medical or something, you'd get snagged by a SNCO trying to fill seats. Hell, we'd get pulled for people from other squadrons.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

ManMythLegend posted:

Both at the E and O level many, many times.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
The idea of a 75% empty auditorium representing their empty lives devoid of anyone that cares about them is scary. So they find lower enlisted that weren't looking busy enough.

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret
Maybe the reserves aren't all bad, but gently caress doing all of those things on a weekend.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Laranzu posted:

The idea of a 75% empty auditorium representing their empty lives devoid of anyone that cares about them is scary. So they find lower enlisted that weren't looking busy enough.

This is why I just didn't have a ceremony. Not that folks didn't/don't care about me, but I retired from a place where a lot of the folks who DO care could not attend. Plus most of my friends were underway. I didn't have anyone working for me when I went, so it seemed really unimportant.

My husband's Sailors were the only reason he had one. I had to push him into it, but his guys and gals really wanted to talk nice about him. It was a lot of fun.

You get a DD214 without a ceremony. :shrug:

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

No posts in the Navy thread for 6 days. Everyone got out.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

NEGATIVE :/

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
I just scheduled a week of class in a non military facility wearing civilian clothes.

The 5 month Civilianesque TAD was too good. I just needed my fix man.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

DustyNuts posted:

No posts in the Navy thread for 6 days. Everyone got out.

Don't I wish. Actually I'm about to get underway on a big gray thing for the first time since I last deployed (at sea) in 08, not counting a brief stint on an amphib.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

lol can't wait to get out gently caress the Navy

*re-enlists for 4 years*

• Locked thread