Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Yeah, considering those games (eg. Thunder Force, Herzog Zwei) were on limbo due to being owned by one of those IP sharks who actually don't produce anything out the properties they acquire, this could be good. Sega's saying they want to "reprint" Thunder Force IV and V. I'm going with that's a mistranslation and they actually meant porting them to newer systems. Though if they are indeed reprinting Mega Drive/Saturn games in 2016/2017 I'll be all over it, too! :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Wizgot posted:

I had a friend tell me Metal Slug was a better game than Super Mario World. He even had the balls to say they were both platformers.

I can not bring myself to disagree with your friend.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I'm not gonna say MS is a better game because SMW is really, really special to me but I probably play it more than I do SMW and I definitely get more challenge and excitement and "fun" out of MS today as an adult.

e: but this is probably because I know SMW inside and out, if I was coming at each game totally clueless about either I'd call SMW the better game

d0s fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 17, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

I AM THE TOILET posted:

I'm surprised that Magic Engine is still around and still being charged. How come they haven't been sued or dmca'ed at this point by... whoever owns the rights to PC Engine/TG-16?

The main thing that'll get you in trouble when selling emulators is if you start distributing the games (or in the case of systems that need a BIOS/firmware file to work, distributing that software instead of writing your own equivalent). It ends up being quite easy to avoid doing that and thus avoid getting sued for selling emulators.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

fishmech posted:

The main thing that'll get you in trouble when selling emulators is if you start distributing the games (or in the case of systems that need a BIOS/firmware file to work, distributing that software instead of writing your own equivalent). It ends up being quite easy to avoid doing that and thus avoid getting sued for selling emulators.

That's my understanding; no direct copying, usage, or infringement of copyrighted code, but otherwise there's little legal basis to sue against a completely original reimplementation of hardware/software functionality, or even one that would involve "unavoidable" similarities in (as was the case when Intel took NEC to court over the latter's V20 clone of Intel's 8086 processor).

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
real talk smw is a challengeless poo poo game for babies

I like it but drat it's easy to a fault. snappy controls but boring. sonic is better. bye

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Zand posted:

real talk smw is a challengeless poo poo game for babies

I like it but drat it's easy to a fault. snappy controls but boring. sonic is better. bye

But that might also explain SMW's lasting appeal. You can see how the mechanics work, how it all fits together, and get total control over it. Sonic, meanwhile, is a good game and a landmark and all that, but it's still very much "Gotta go fast / gotta go faster / SONIC HAS AN EATING DISORDER IN THIS VERY SPECIAL INSTALLMENT" and you don't have a lot of control or variety to how Sonic moves. Especially in the first game, where you don't have a spin dash and LOL if you slow down while trying to go up a loop.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Saoshyant posted:

Around 200-300€ depending on condition and stuff included, according to ebay. What are the notable exclusives and better ports on the PC FX?

I picked up mine [CIB with one controller and Voice Paradise, also CIB] for I thiiiink $200 at Magfest last year.

A good deal if you ask me, it's in pristine shape, but have you ever tried taking a giant console box cross country as carry on luggage?

e. As to why I bought it, I'm a sucker for 90s anime ~aesthetic~ and boy is this console loaded with it. Also, burned CDs work without modification.

Also, it's just an interesting console to me, and I tend to collect things I find interesting.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sega didn't know how to advertise Sonic because it's not about speed, it's about navigating and finding the most efficient path. I feel like if the speedrun community was big in the 90s Sega would've gotten valuable advice on level design and balancing the game to remove all the poo poo that piled up over the years.

Mario is the actual "gotta go fast" hold right to win game and that argument is perfectly encapsulated in Super Mario Run which looks like it captures the skill of a Mario game with zero direct control. Meanwhile Sonic's endless runner is a ripoff of Temple Run because Sega is still stuck on the idea that Sonic is about running straight collecting rings.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The Sonic games have less variety than SMW also because they're very much arcade games, and you can beat all three games in about an hour and a half even if you don't really know what you're doing.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

SMW is only bullshit easy because I think we all know where everything is and how to beat it in 20 minutes, exploring the game for the first time is an experience that no sonic game can touch, imo

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

d0s posted:

SMW is only bullshit easy because I think we all know where everything is and how to beat it in 20 minutes, exploring the game for the first time is an experience that no sonic game can touch, imo

This is true, hell I remember being so proud of my self when I worked out the quickest route through the game on my own. Sonic on the other hand, meh. It's alright but I never got the same sense of accomplishment out of beating a level as I did exploring/beating them in SMW.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I remember being super proud for being able to do Emerald Hill Zone Act 1 in 21 seconds, hitting jumps perfectly and so on..then looking up the record and aw dammit.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

d0s posted:

Super Mario World is still one of my favorite games and it holds up immensely well, but yeah this

Like I know fastest route / secrets / whatever but it's still a lot of fun to play

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
Dammit all this talk about SMW is making me wanna fire up Super Mario Maker.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I always preferred SMB3 for its variety and challenge but seeing that big bullet bill in screenshots was mind blowing. China Warrior get hosed.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

I AM THE TOILET posted:

Dammit all this talk about SMW is making me wanna fire up Super Mario Maker.

dont play it next to an smw playsession, the engine differences suck if you're used to owning super hard in smw.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I spent ages finding new stuff in SMW as a kid. It had more replay value than any other SNES game I had, despite being easy to beat.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Total change of topic but I just picked up a copy of Quarth and drat if it isn't exactly as satisfying as I remember it being as a kid.

But Rocks Hurt Head fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 18, 2016

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Zand posted:

dont play it next to an smw playsession, the engine differences suck if you're used to owning super hard in smw.

Oh thank god I'm not crazy this is why I can't get into SMB3, I played way, way too much SMW as a kid and it's surprisingly difficult to adjust to SMB3's feel. Maybe this is why Super Mario Land 2 is one of my Game Boy favorites: it seems much closer to SMW.

And Quarth is cool and good, I should play it instead of weeding out my Wii games. Madworld was far dumber than I expected especially after following it with No More Heroes. Both games have over the top violence but it's more purposeful/relevant in Heroes versus Madworld's tryhard edginess. The train of disappointing games continues for me, I'm up to twelve games to get rid of. Feels good to clean out at any rate.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Wizgot posted:

I had a friend tell me Metal Slug was a better game than Super Mario World. He even had the balls to say they were both platformers.

Metal Slug is fun but the controls kinda suck because the jumps aren't precise and you can't fire diagonally. Compared to Contra or Gunstar Heroes, Metal Slug is sloppy.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I've never had a problem jumping in a MS game and who cares if you can't fire diagonally in a game not designed for it, is Mega Man bad for that too?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Metal Slug also has some of the best looking sprites ever

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

You can fire diagonally in Metal Slug, you need to just have the HMG.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

d0s posted:

I've never had a problem jumping in a MS game and who cares if you can't fire diagonally in a game not designed for it, is Mega Man bad for that too?

Mega Man often has diagonal or homing weapons and also doesn't die in one hit from an enemy bullet so if you mess up you're still OK.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Total change of topic but I just picked up a copy of Quarth and drat if it isn't exactly as satisfying as I remember it being as a kid.

Quarth gets kind of talked down by a lot of people but I genuinely like it a lot. It's got kind of gentle roll to it that I like that's perfect for a casual, relaxing session.

A game not perfect for a casual, relaxing session was given to me today by my brother: Contra: Hard Corps. When he gave it me I asked if I could consider it an attempt on my life.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Kid Fenris posted:

Mega Man often has diagonal or homing weapons and also doesn't die in one hit from an enemy bullet so if you mess up you're still OK.

stop getting hit lol

the precision is why its a cool good and fun game!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Can't say I ever never needed to fire diagonally in Metal Slug but I completely fell off the series when they kept introducing gimmicks that slowed down the game or more enemies that take multiple hits to defeat.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Kid Fenris posted:

and also doesn't die in one hit from an enemy bullet so if you mess up you're still OK.

congratulations on being the one person who thinks arcade shooters need more lifebars, you've won a copy of WinUAE and a romset of every bad euroshmup!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ehh, I'll take Mega Turrican over Contra 3. I am interested in the Japanese reception of the later Contra games when they added health. I'm guessing they did it to reach a wider audience but the series kind of died after 16-bit.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Hard Corps, from what I can find, is pretty well regarded in Japan, and it had a health system.

The Japanese release apparently was also a very small print run.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

al-azad posted:

Ehh, I'll take Mega Turrican over Contra 3. I am interested in the Japanese reception of the later Contra games when they added health. I'm guessing they did it to reach a wider audience but the series kind of died after 16-bit.

Shattered Soldier and Uprising are both pretty rad, though hard as gently caress.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

shattered soldier is rad as hell

al-azad posted:

Ehh, I'll take Mega Turrican over Contra 3

i'll take whatever drugs you're on

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Mega Turrican doesn't have those god awful top-down stages, at least.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Wizgot posted:

I have a friend who swears up and down that Mega Man and Castlevania are not platformers.

Instead he ascribes them to the (even more) nebulous genre of "action" (if not run-and-gun, in Mega Man's case).

I don't know.

I also don't know why I would consider Mega Man a platformer, but not Contra. You do platforming in both! It does feel like there's more focus on it in Mega Man's case, though.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

al-azad posted:

Turrican owns but :sbahj: getting hit with no invincibility frames.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

Mega Turrican doesn't have those god awful top-down stages, at least.

Those are the only non-sidescrolling contra levels I actually like, but I think arena shooters are a good genre and rotating with L+R was always cool and fun to me

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
While the forum was having its quarterly heart attack, PPSSPP v1.3 was released! New features include support for texture replacement (for ill-conceived high-res texture pack mods), some basic TAS functionality and "half a year's worth of fixes".

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
I miss my hacked PSP. Played the Mother 3 translation on it while waiting at the laundromat. Dunno why I got rid of it.

What are some must plays on the PSP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Cross-posting from the NES thread in GBS:

Wicker Man posted:

To play my dad's gold cartridge Legend of Zelda game, I had to stick a second NES game backwards ontop of the first cartridge that's in the front loader slot, pressing down on it. Somehow that made the system actually work since blowing on it and sticking it in weren't enough.

The NES was a fickle-rear end machine.

Edit: I found licking the inside circuit board and getting it slightly moist was 10x more effective than simply blowing on it :downs:

:gonk:

• Locked thread