Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
DBZ Abridged is the definitive dub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Rutibex posted:

Yeaaaaah, kinda.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah but like funimation it took time I mean listen to those early episodes everyone but Goku and Nappa sound awful.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

There's a reason why Kaiser has said they might one day just straight up redo season 1 (though it would require project time they don't really have).

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Rodyle posted:

There's a reason why Kaiser has said they might one day just straight up redo season 1 (though it would require project time they don't really have).

They'd mostly just rerecord the lines I'd think. They'll probably do it after Cell Saga.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nothing will ever top the Latin American dub, but the Funi dub is fine. I watched the whole of Kai with it because there was never a Latin American dub of that (and don't let anyone tell you otherwise). That said, I absolutely do prefer the voices I grew up with and give an amazing performance, and I'd love it if Bandai-Namco put the effort into getting a Latin American dub for the games, like the last Saint Seiya game did...but I know that's never going anywhere beyond a dream.

I don't think even Super Shenlong could grant that one.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Rudoku posted:

Because the Spanish version beats them both.

This is true.

Spanish > English > Japanese

That's not to say the Japanese is bad at all, but the only fun upside for me watching the sub is hearing Luffy as Krillin. Everything else is just meh.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The Brazilian dub is pretty legit.

Also, Grandma Goku is very good and if you don't like it you are a blithering imbecile of a caliber usually reserved for AP tank ammunition. Thank you.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Dias posted:

The Brazilian dub is pretty legit.

Also, Grandma Goku is very good and if you don't like it you are a blithering imbecile of a caliber usually reserved for AP tank ammunition. Thank you.

bro i will kamehameha you into next week

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I've gotten used to Grandma Goku, it's Grandma everyone else that still gets me. They really shouldn't have cast her for every character related to him.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Momomo posted:

They really shouldn't have cast her

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

She was fine as kid goku. She should have been dropped the moment Piccolo JR started. I will never understand the insane Japanese casting notion that a person has a character reserved for them forever, much less whatever combination of drugs and alcohol on the casting director's part that also lands her the entire family tree.

e: like okay, MAYBE she can stay on as Kid Gohan and Goten and someone else replaces her as Goku/Teen Gohan but even that's kind of insane

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Sep 18, 2016

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Western Goku sounds like Superman and that super misses the mark. Other than initial weirdness at Grandma Goku, I ended up finding that voice a lot more fitting for the character.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

They've started making Goku a lot more casual sounding with newer stuff so that's better

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Goku during Z feels like almost a different character than Goku in Super. It feels like they really play up his worse traits a lot more in the latter, wheras he really was just Savior of the Earth in Z. The only time I can think of where Goku did something stupid for a fight in Z was giving the Senzu Bean to Cell, everywhere else was just him not wanting to kill people.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Momomo posted:

Goku during Z feels like almost a different character than Goku in Super. It feels like they really play up his worse traits a lot more in the latter, wheras he really was just Savior of the Earth in Z. The only time I can think of where Goku did something stupid for a fight in Z was giving the Senzu Bean to Cell, everywhere else was just him not wanting to kill people.

Goku is out of commission for most of Z. That's a major thing. There's little room for Goku to do anything but be the guy seriously on-top because he's either dead, dying, or otherwise disabled during a huge chunk of the series and only comes out to play when poo poo has gotten so serious that even Goku can't really hold back.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Sparing Vegeta for no reason is the other big one.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
He shoots down Bulmas idea to kill the androids and actively goes against King Kai to fight Frieza. I mean in the end he had to fight him but he didn't know that. Though I think the whole Superman thing is overblown and I hope the weird hick accent thing doesn't translate over because it's the worst.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Giving Freeza some emergency energy is still so hilariously pointless at that juncture.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

CharlestheHammer posted:

He shoots down Bulmas idea to kill the androids and actively goes against King Kai to fight Frieza. I mean in the end he had to fight him but he didn't know that. Though I think the whole Superman thing is overblown and I hope the weird hick accent thing doesn't translate over because it's the worst.

goku: redneck superhero is great

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Eh, you can do "unpolished" speech without going into hick accent, it's just that America seems to equal those things (like Kansai? accents) with Southern drawls.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Japanese Goku IS Goku. Goku with a normal dude's voice is bizarre to me.

But it's all personal preference who cares #KamehamehaStrainingOnToilet

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Alan_Shore posted:

Japanese Goku IS Goku. Goku with a normal dude's voice is bizarre to me.

But it's all personal preference who cares #KamehamehaStrainingOnToilet

I mean, the real answer to voices is:

Rutibex posted:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Goku's stupidity is consistent though. He really, really, REALLY wants to fight tough guys, regardless of any danger to him or anyone else. His first and foremost priority is to fight the strongest, always, forever.

After all Vegeta did, the moment Krillin could finally end the genocidal bastard, Goku stops him. Not because of any redemption bullshit, but because he feels bad that he won because of teamwork and wants to face Vegeta 1-on-1. Goku outright accepts that Vegeta is not going to switch sides (yet, anyways), and will come back to Earth stronger than ever and with a massive grudge but gently caress it, 1-on-1ing the strongest person he's ever fought.
While travelling to Namek, King Kai constantly tells Goku never to face Freeza because he's an extremely dangerous monster. Goku, of course, takes this as "OH MAN I GOTTA FIGHT THAT FREEZER!". And he does.
After Trunks arrives on the present, Bulma says she can just find Gero's lab so they can blast it and stop the Android menace before it begins. Goku refuses because the Androids will be strong so he'll get cool fights! This one's worse because everyone agrees, although Krillin at least gives a proper reasoning for it.
After the Vegetto fusion is undone, Supreme Kai offers to give Goku and Vegeta his Potara so they have a chance against Kid Buu, and both refuse because they really want to 1-on-1 this poo poo, no fusion allowed.

Now, with BoG and onwards, we've had:
Goku picking a fight with the God of Destruction after being repeatedly told Beerus is too dangerous and he'll get owned, which he gets.
Goku not going all-out against Freeza until it's far too late because he wants to test him, and leaving him alive because he'd make one hell of a rival seeing how powerful Golden Freeza was - which leads to the Earth being destroyed.
Goku risking throwing the Earth into another Universe entirely because he really wanted to fight those U6 guys!

Goku is Goku, no matter what.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CharlestheHammer posted:

Straight up. I know why hipsters do it but no one tries to pretend anime is classic cinema.

I often have to because I like watching shows that just don't have an English translation, or whose english translation is a self parody.

See the Ultraman franchise, particularly UltraSeven. But that's not really a normal situation- rarely will you have a dub intentionally gently caress up the original show and its intention.

Otherwise there are also movies that just do not have a dub. The original Godzilla, Gojira, does not have a dub for instance. King of the Monsters is a notably different film, and isn't so much a dub as a reexamination of the original film, and the two work best viewed as one being the straight story and the other being from the POV of American media.

Preferring the Japanese version of DBZ though loving eludes me and I have no idea why people prefer it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The only place Goku is heroic is exactly after he turns SS. Every other time it's just his fighting instinct taking over.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Burkion posted:

I often have to because I like watching shows that just don't have an English translation, or whose english translation is a self parody.

See the Ultraman franchise, particularly UltraSeven. But that's not really a normal situation- rarely will you have a dub intentionally gently caress up the original show and its intention.

Otherwise there are also movies that just do not have a dub. The original Godzilla, Gojira, does not have a dub for instance. King of the Monsters is a notably different film, and isn't so much a dub as a reexamination of the original film, and the two work best viewed as one being the straight story and the other being from the POV of American media.

Preferring the Japanese version of DBZ though loving eludes me and I have no idea why people prefer it.

Okay this is fair.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

Sparing Vegeta for no reason is the other big one.

I've always seen this way more as "He's already beaten, we don't need to go that far since we aren't the bad guys" for his reasoning, with getting to fight him again being a secondary thing. Sure he could've just said that, but eh, the scene seemed better to me that way.

I did forget about the Androids though.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Goku owns, and so does English

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Momomo posted:

I've always seen this way more as "He's already beaten, we don't need to go that far since we aren't the bad guys" for his reasoning, with getting to fight him again being a secondary thing. Sure he could've just said that, but eh, the scene seemed better to me that way.

Nah, that was precisely the only time Goku does something like that while admitting he was being a selfish prick.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
If Gohan hadn't killed them all Goku would be raising a Cell Jr as his proxy child in the hopes of fighting it one day.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Momomo posted:

goku literally says he wanted vegeta to survive so they can fight again

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

He also literally says he wants to show Vegeta mercy, as shown in this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxjawhwXDHQ

edit: lol apparently Funi just completely changed his speech
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QTRN8YX2LM
what a strange man that goku

Momomo fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Sep 18, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Momomo posted:

He also literally says he wants to show Vegeta mercy, as shown in this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxjawhwXDHQ

That isn't an accurate translation at all. It's the dub massively changing the dialogue. The original manga version is him telling Krillin "Hey, it would be a huge waste. He's so strong and I want to fight him again!"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Oh no :ohdear:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

That isn't an accurate translation at all. It's the dub massively changing the dialogue. The original manga version is him telling Krillin "Hey, it would be a huge waste. He's so strong and I want to fight him again!"

Did they do the same with Frieza then? He was the next person Goku fought to the death and spared, so I thought it was just his thing to give mercy.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
A lot of that is unavoidable due to DBZ being a kids show translated for the kids market of the 1990s.

The same reason why no one died and there were other dimensions you could go to via beams is the same reason why Goku wasn't a near psychotic punchman.

Goku in the Japanese version is just not a heroic kind of character, which would bring the watchdogs down pretty loving fast and hard. So the choice was made to make him more noble and heroic, instead of the violent idiot who only lives to fight strong people. And that kind of thing actually DID work and made a lot of kids latch onto Goku as their hero.

If it's better or worse who knows. With the recent dubs Funi has done, they've mostly stuck to the original intention, if only because they don't have to worry as much about the bullshit that was going on in the 90s.

Remember, in the 90s Power Rangers was too hardcore and violent, Spider-Man wasn't allowed to punch people OR disturb pigeons, and no one ever said die or death. It was a dark, sad time

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Momomo posted:

Did they do the same with Frieza then? He was the next person Goku fought to the death and spared, so I thought it was just his thing to give mercy.

Nah, that time he legitimately spares him though it is with the implication that he wants Frieza to survive knowing he's weaker than Goku.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Burkion posted:

A lot of that is unavoidable due to DBZ being a kids show translated for the kids market of the 1990s.

The same reason why no one died and there were other dimensions you could go to via beams is the same reason why Goku wasn't a near psychotic punchman.

Goku in the Japanese version is just not a heroic kind of character, which would bring the watchdogs down pretty loving fast and hard. So the choice was made to make him more noble and heroic, instead of the violent idiot who only lives to fight strong people. And that kind of thing actually DID work and made a lot of kids latch onto Goku as their hero.

If it's better or worse who knows. With the recent dubs Funi has done, they've mostly stuck to the original intention, if only because they don't have to worry as much about the bullshit that was going on in the 90s.

Remember, in the 90s Power Rangers was too hardcore and violent, Spider-Man wasn't allowed to punch people OR disturb pigeons, and no one ever said die or death. It was a dark, sad time

I can't tell if you really believe this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I hate Goku.

He's a bad person.

• Locked thread