Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

would you keep your dogs in the operating room of a hospital? !

lol at joints for prisoners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I feel like I'm getting many more raids than on A14.

I've had raids on days 55, 61 and then two on 63, which just seems over the top considering I've only just researched turrets and 5 raiders are coming for my three fighters (2x molotov, one club, one shotgun, one pistol).

They were easy enough to deal with them because they split up and I have pigs following me around but still.

e: Remind me to never, ever, ever, ever take on someone fleeing from pirates ever again. Two guys by a pistol wielder and the one I rescued one shotted by a sniper. Are refugee rescues likely to produce extra strong raiders or something? I've never seen raiders close to as capable as that on this save and I've been hovering around the same wealth and population for a long while now. Back to two guys and no power I go.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Sep 16, 2016

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

You have opened my eyes and showed me that my life's goal is to re-enact every single RHH song in Rimworld.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Well, that's it for my second colony, which didn't even come close to my A14 colony, my decision to offer sanctuary to a refugee called me off but really I hampered myself by overstretching before making sure my food supply, heating and defence were robust. I've drawn up a checklist for myself in attempt to stay disciplined when I build Colony Three.

Kind of tempted to wait for a wanderer to stumble across the corpse of my base, though...

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Sieges are getting pretty frustrating. Is it feasible to make my own artillery base and just mortar them into submission? One on it's own doesn't seem to do a ton.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Mortars work better the more you have. The only flaw is that you need one stack of ammo per mortar to be sure they'll keep firing, since if two guys want to reload at the same time, the first guy locks the stack of ammo, the second guy can't find any non-reserved stacks of ammo and wanders off for a joint

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I'm super disappointed by how poo poo the deep drills are. You can't see what the deposit is until you build the actual drill and it only drills out the square around it so you have to keep building them.

I have reached the point where I have no steel or components left and having to buy them all is really loving boring. I've been out of components for 3/4 of the game in fact and creating them seems to take ages. I guess I should just start again but I feel like I should "win" the game now I'm at the point that I can.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Zhentar posted:

I'm not saying you shouldn't have three tile wide walls (it certainly does look nice), I'm saying if you do, the center tile should be open space. The game code considers any wall two or more solid tiles thick to be outdoors, so none of the heat conducting through those walls ends up in the rooms on the other side.

It could be interesting to combine that with ventilation shaft shenanigans.

Will raiders attack vents/coolers to get into passageways, or do they always prefer going after doors?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Roadie posted:

It could be interesting to combine that with ventilation shaft shenanigans.

Will raiders attack vents/coolers to get into passageways, or do they always prefer going after doors?

Raiders love to attack vents/coolers, particularly if they are the type that it says are using tactics.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Taear posted:

I'm super disappointed by how poo poo the deep drills are. You can't see what the deposit is until you build the actual drill and it only drills out the square around it so you have to keep building them.

I have reached the point where I have no steel or components left and having to buy them all is really loving boring. I've been out of components for 3/4 of the game in fact and creating them seems to take ages. I guess I should just start again but I feel like I should "win" the game now I'm at the point that I can.

I don't even bother crafting my own components. It's very time consuming and takes quite a bit of steel. Way easier and seems more efficient to just trade for them.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I thought the drilling was going to be you drop a drill on a node and now you get a very slow steady supply of that resource forever. I wish it was like that.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Space Skeleton posted:

I thought the drilling was going to be you drop a drill on a node and now you get a very slow steady supply of that resource forever. I wish it was like that.

Tynan really wants you to build the spaceship.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Space Skeleton posted:

Hah yeah. I didn't think it would have to be manned, either. It's pretty underwhelming considering how easy it is to just crank out excellent+ quality statues and just buy everything you need.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Space Skeleton posted:

Mods!

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Walton Simons posted:

e: Remind me to never, ever, ever, ever take on someone fleeing from pirates ever again.

For real. Agreed to help a dude and fought off the raid OK, only to find he's got thoroughly mediocre skills... and a luciferium addiction.

A couple days later when he flew into his first withdrawal berserk a couple of my other colonists knocked him out, and he dropped a stack of 4 luciferium. Oh, oops the default drug policy wouldn't let him take the drug he needed to live.

Extremely unfortunately, my "chemical fascination" colonist was nearby and immediately ran over and popped one before I could process what had happened.

Filthy refugees just bringing violence and corrupting my colony with drugs :argh:

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Things were going so well. Then a boar tore my medic's legs off. Her rescuer got maimed as well. Then a zzzt event blew up my hospital beds. Peg leg isn't showing as an option for an operation, either. Welp.

Gooch181 fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 17, 2016

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Gooch181 posted:

Things were going so well. Then a boar tore my medic's legs off. Her rescuer got maimed as well. Then a zzzt event blew up my hospital beds. Peg leg isn't showing as an option for an operation, either. Welp.

You make the leg first at a bench.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Ah, got ya. I also didn't have any wood in my stockpile, somehow.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Geokinesis posted:

Tynan really wants you to build the spaceship.

Is this the actual endgame now? I thought it used to be billed as a placeholder.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Jesus christ this game sometimes.

Infestation in one of my exterior mines. Whatever, it's Winter, it'll deal with itself. Send my sniper to take out the hive after the it's down to 12% from the cold. Bugs die from starvation.

Seconds after the Hive dies, I get a drone ship landing. Call in my other Sniper, have them go play peekaboo with the mechanoids. Kill all three, start on the ship.

Raid hits, two guys with Sniper Rifles ( I have no armor yet ), two guys with triple Rocket Launchers. Great. Pull back to my colony, set up some sandbags, and prepare to fight them.......it's winter, all the predators are starving, and two bears jump the raid and slaughter it.

Prep up and go back to deal with the drone ship, second raid off the back of the first. Nobody really scary except a single guy with a Sniper Rifle. Rather then attack my colony, they attack my boar pens nearby. My stud boar rushes out and kills 4 of them before they run screaming, including Sniper Rifle guy. Wish I could give him a name after that, cause King Pig deserves it.

Just as I'm patching up my pigs, I get two back to back manhunter packs of 15 each. Currently sitting in my base, wondering what the hell is going on this winter.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Spakstik posted:

Is this the actual endgame now? I thought it used to be billed as a placeholder.

yeah, he honestly has a way different vision of the game then basically anyone else.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Away all Goats posted:

I don't even bother crafting my own components. It's very time consuming and takes quite a bit of steel. Way easier and seems more efficient to just trade for them.

But trading happens far too rarely. I'm just sat around not able to do anything because I'm waiting for caravans. I guess I can call some up but I can't guarantee that when they turn up they'll have components.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

drat, I'm getting worse at this, Colony Three lasts a mere 35 days. It was going OK, surviving well and just beefing up our heating (coldish desert) and being a little slow in building due to a lack of trees. Then a psychic pulse drove every dromedary mad and they killed everyone. Weirdly, all but 1 of my colonists had some kind of condition like bad back or angina which meant they couldn't outrun one and take potshots. I feel really vulnerable until I get some turrets down.

Does anyone know if they can be hid from until they go away like regular manhunter packs? As far as I know they can only be killed once aggroed so I'm struggling to see what I could have done to not get killed there.

Anyway, I decided to track which events I got from Randy and here they are:

e: Wait, how do you link directly to an imgur image now?

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Walton Simons posted:

drat, I'm getting worse at this, Colony Three lasts a mere 35 days. It was going OK, surviving well and just beefing up our heating (coldish desert) and being a little slow in building due to a lack of trees. Then a psychic pulse drove every dromedary mad and they killed everyone. Weirdly, all but 1 of my colonists had some kind of condition like bad back or angina which meant they couldn't outrun one and take potshots. I feel really vulnerable until I get some turrets down.

Does anyone know if they can be hid from until they go away like regular manhunter packs? As far as I know they can only be killed once aggroed so I'm struggling to see what I could have done to not get killed there.

Anyway, I decided to track which events I got from Randy and here they are:

You click the drop down arrow and pick share options and then you have a direct link there as well as one with bb code.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Walton Simons posted:

You gotta like mouse over the image and find the Share Links button that'll appear, something like that

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

The only option I have is to zoom in on it. Copying the url doesn't give the direct link anymore and trying to get the link direct from the image goes through to this url that starts with 'blob' and a bunch of gibberish text comes up. It's all weird and when I try to share to community I get 'unknown error'. I'll try later.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
So, I finally launched a ship:

I decided to finally leave after a poison ship crash landed and I was able to call in for 3 groups of reinforcements (4?) from an outlander town to wipe out the force that popped out (7-8 centipedes and 4-5 scythers) while sending one guy with a sniper rifle to help them out without feeling the hit to my silver.

Also my chokepoint where all raids had to come through was basically undefeated.

Christ, I was expecting naming my colony 'Invincible' would end up being ironic, except it loving thrived.

Also bonus screenshot of a worker's work speeds:

Note that he really only had high skill in shooting, social and artistry. The rest were 6 or less.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Taear posted:

But trading happens far too rarely. I'm just sat around not able to do anything because I'm waiting for caravans. I guess I can call some up but I can't guarantee that when they turn up they'll have components.

Yeah they can be infrequent, but trying to be completely self sufficient is just more trouble than it's worth. The component assembly bench requires thirty components to build, in addition to 400 steel. In my opinion you're better off spending those resources on setting up an indoor sunlamp area with heaters and growing your cash crop of choice to exchange for more steel/components.

Seeing as how components take 30 steel to craft 1 component, you're going to have to trade for steel in the end either way.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
I really wish you could assign planting and harvesting as different jobs. Right now I have a huge farm to feed my 22 colonists which rarely gets past half planted because harvesting is a higher priority task than planting. My growers will be just starting to sow seeds on one side of the farm when a plant will hit 100% grown and they will all rush across the entire farm to harvest a few plants. Then they wander back over to start planting again and another plant will hit 100%.

I wouldn't need as large a farm if I went back to fine meals but it annoys me that this would work just fine if I could change the priorities.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Work Tab if it ever gets updated to A15?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

The component assembly bench requires thirty components to build, in addition to 400 steel.
This is the most off-putting thing about the component assembly bench. The first thirty components you produce there are just recouping your losses for building the drat thing. It's not something you build in response to a lack of components, it's a very long term investment, that only even works if you're absolutely drowning in steel.

I wish I had known how expensive the bench would be after I spent ages researching it, not to mention going through all the hoops for the most advanced researching stuff, when I was facing a chronic shortage of components due to a lack of traders in my first game.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I had a real poo poo show tonight. It all started when a psychic ship part crashed. I sent out two snipers to trigger the mechanoids and pick them off.

Three released prisoners ran into the scyther and centipede from the north while a group of allies appeared from the south, triggering a big prisoner/ally/mechanoid melee.

My crappy allies enraged a group of bears and a cougar and then fled north. The animals caught up to them, though. I had pulled my snipers back to base to take defensive positions by this point.

While my pawns were mowing down bears at my base entrance, a raid popped up next to the mechanoids and triggered another big fight. The raiders won, but were so weak after that that one volley from my turrent wall made them retreat.

All's well that ends well, I guess?

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Spakstik posted:

I don't know about placeholder billing/actual endgame or whatever, but Tynan has recently acknowledged it as not a very satisfying ending and said he has ideas for other options.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Away all Goats posted:

Yeah they can be infrequent, but trying to be completely self sufficient is just more trouble than it's worth. The component assembly bench requires thirty components to build, in addition to 400 steel. In my opinion you're better off spending those resources on setting up an indoor sunlamp area with heaters and growing your cash crop of choice to exchange for more steel/components.

Seeing as how components take 30 steel to craft 1 component, you're going to have to trade for steel in the end either way.

Yea I had insane amounts of steel but no components. I've had no components since around the time I researched turrets, so very very early in the game.
Like I say traders are so infrequent that all I'm doing is sitting around waiting for traders. That's my game now. And it's boring, but I want to finish the game, dammit.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Components are always a bitch without modding.

Randallteal posted:

While my pawns were mowing down bears at my base entrance, a raid popped up next to the mechanoids and triggered another big fight. The raiders won, but were so weak after that that one volley from my turrent wall made them retreat.

People like you still exist?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
people who make typos now and again still exist, ya

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Taear posted:

Yea I had insane amounts of steel but no components. I've had no components since around the time I researched turrets, so very very early in the game.
Like I say traders are so infrequent that all I'm doing is sitting around waiting for traders. That's my game now. And it's boring, but I want to finish the game, dammit.

You know that you can pay factions to send traders to visit with the comm station now, right?

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

800 silver is obscene, though. Even if I had that to hand, I'd rather spend it on gifts to ensure I always have backup.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It only costs 300 silver for me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
So what's the trick with RedistHeat? It just seems like a huge investment in steel and components for what you get out of it. Does anyone have a working example they can post? It seems like a constant struggle for me to get the duct network to be consistently low/high enough to keep my base climate controlled.