Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

mabels big day posted:

I would like for Guts to kill Griffith with his big sword, but I can understand and respect if that is not what happens in the end.

I cannot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
A healed Casca witnesses Guts penetrating Griffith, loses her mind again.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
We're heading for a Devilman ending. In about 2116

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I hope to gently caress I never have to hear Luca-nee again. Nina totally killed the vibe of the episode for me. Animation was bad but I'm excited to see where the story goes from here, especially now that Farnase is Team Guts.

Also, Puck is #1.

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat
Aha!

I'm wise to your game Gemba studios and Koei Tecmo!!

One studio makes an anime so horrible that the other's videogame looks godlike in comparison and so of course it'll sell like crazy!

Well played!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
At this point I'd rather the video game people just make the next season. Be better advertising and probably save even more money wasted on amateurs and avoid embarrassment at the same time!

EDIT: New gameplay footage shows that the more you kill the more bloody the character gets with their combo powers, easy to see on both of Zodd's forms.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 17, 2016

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Speaking of, any characters you'd particularly like to see as playable in the new game? Most of the Neo-Hawks are going to be obvious answers, but I want to give a shout out to Mozgus. I bet he'd be really fun in both forms. Isidro and Puck as a single character could be pretty neat, too.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Corkus

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
I want to play as these two beautiful boys, both of them at the same time.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Crabtree posted:

At this point I'd rather the video game people just make the next season. Be better advertising and probably save even more money wasted on amateurs and avoid embarrassment at the same time!

EDIT: New gameplay footage shows that the more you kill the more bloody the character gets with their combo powers, easy to see on both of Zodd's forms.

This season was really poorly received in Japan too afaik, so if we're getting another at all it'll be by different people.

(Because of said poor reception, I'm going to be genuinely surprised if Millenium Falcon Arc is another TV anime.)

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Well this season ended as poorly as it began. Though when it began I still maintained illusions that it would get better.

Seriously bad camera work the whole way through. The camera should not be a a constant pan machine nor a pinball. Yeesh.

The colors and backgrounds in the daytime shots in the last episode were good though. So much better than the crap daytime shots in episode 2. It looked like they were properly considering color harmony.

becrumbac
Apr 25, 2012
The music placement was possibly the worst thing about this whole disaster. It's Griffith! One of the few well-animated, interesting sequences, and one of the most pivotal scenes in the whole manga... to the generic 'cool rock guitar' theme that's been beyond annoying. Apart from Hirasawa, actually, the music to this show has been really bad. The 1997 anime and the movies had the music on point, and Berserk often looks like a prog rock album cover so where did the sludge metal come from?

Berserk 2016 was a pile of hot garbage, and I watched all of it because I'm an enormous sucker for this series. I hope to god someone redoes Conviction as a well-animated OVA in ten years, I really do, because this adaption of the manga's best arc was atrocious.

At least we get to see what's going on in Casca's head on the 23rd?

becrumbac fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Sep 17, 2016

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
So the big climactic reveal of the night in hell was that a snake person with a white flowing wig was farted out by the sun?
Really though, that facing the camera drawing was the reason I have no faith in this studio's 2D work either.

Also generic agreement about the perpetually moving weightless camera. Not much left of that horse to beat.

PS: The changing size of the eyes on the waving chick with a bob haircut during the credits. WTF, you only drew nine frames and looped them. How did none of you notice that her eyes are one size arm-move-left and another size without eyelashes arm-move-right?!

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Ccs posted:

Well this season ended as poorly as it began. Though when it began I still maintained illusions that it would get better.

Seriously bad camera work the whole way through. The camera should not be a a constant pan machine nor a pinball. Yeesh.

The colors and backgrounds in the daytime shots in the last episode were good though. So much better than the crap daytime shots in episode 2. It looked like they were properly considering color harmony.

Yeah I was one of the optimistic ones saying it'd probably find a decent pace in the beginning, but even if that were possible it was too short for any sort of pivot to make a difference - it was bad from beginning to end, barring a couple bright spots. Mozgus was good. Zodd was good. Griffith wasn't CG once. The Godo episode was good. It was Berserk.

The next season getting passed to a new studio would be a dream come true, but I'm not holding my breath.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Such a quality series.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
We know they have more villager models than that, why did they just repeat that red haired villager 5 times?

Beyond a shadow of a doubt, the shittiness of that screenshot is intentional, it's practically tongue-in-cheek. Was Berserk 2016 a secret parody? A comment on the break-neck culture of the anime industry? It's almost like the studio is saying "when you give us this little money and this short a deadline this is the product".

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 17, 2016

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i only watched this because its my favorite arc, and will probably not watch the next series

Relin fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Sep 17, 2016

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

My favorite bit is how every character there is on the same frame of their run cycle. The eye can be easily fooled in a short shot, so if they varied which frame of the cycle each repeat character was on, it's much less likely that a viewer would notice the repetition. Whereas this is so obvious that even watching this while drinking I still laughed at that shot. The exact same expression, same angle of the head, all in a line like that. loving amazing.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Ccs posted:

My favorite bit is how every character there is on the same frame of their run cycle. The eye can be easily fooled in a short shot, so if they varied which frame of the cycle each repeat character was on, it's much less likely that a viewer would notice the repetition. Whereas this is so obvious that even watching this while drinking I still laughed at that shot. The exact same expression, same angle of the head, all in a line like that. loving amazing.

It's a metaphor for George Romero films.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Should I know who the silver hair guy is? He seems like a big deal but there is literally zero context on who/what he is besides "Griffith" Is he like a big bad back from the dead or their friend or....?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Should I know who the silver hair guy is? He seems like a big deal but there is literally zero context on who/what he is besides "Griffith" Is he like a big bad back from the dead or their friend or....?

Read the comic.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I started reading scans of the manga online thanks to this thread (and needing to know what the hell was up with the ending of the 90s manga, which kind of came out of nowhere) and quickly realised that, given what an insane amount of work Miura puts into loving everything I can't in good conscience not give him money. I've started the very long road to collecting the hard copies, but I wanted to ask, are there larger versions than the little Dark Horse versions? Given the level of detail, it seems a shame to have it in something the size of a paperback.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Both, sorta. Read the manga indeed. Or if you don't want to do that there is also the 90's anime or the 3 movies. Both of them cover the same golden age arc from the manga, which is the backstory of guts, casca and griffith.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Arrgytehpirate posted:

He's the worst person in the world but also v. pretty so a lot of people still like him.

Read the manga.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

nah griffith isn't important to the series.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Berserkhazard 4.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Begemot posted:

He's the worst person in the world but also v. pretty so a lot of people still like him.

Read the manga.

Hey now, he's only in the top five. :v:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
If the second season does happen, I am most likely going to puke with rage when they gently caress up The Zerker Armor. Of all the points to screw up, taking short cuts not only with the Slann scenes, but both stages of the Grunbeld fight are just going to piss me off.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

[GENERIC ROCK MUSIC SWELLS]

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I hope that if the same studio does the next part, they have time for a very heavy post-mortem on their first season and really step up their game for season 2. Cause another season of that camera would just be awful.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

Ccs posted:

Such a quality series.

I'm the quintuplets.

edit: both quintuplets

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Pelican Dunderhead posted:

I'm the quintuplets.

edit: both quintuplets

I'm the third quintuplet.

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013
I heard from somewhere that the Berserk movies aren't "all that good". Maybe it's because the 2016 anime was such poo poo, but to me the movies (just finished watching all three of them) seemed like freaking masterpieces in comparison. :stare: Why couldn't the movie production crew do the anime?!

I can only hope that after this 2016 travesty Miura will look at the studio and go "GET THE HELL AWAY FROM MY BABY YOU BASTARDS". But I guess it would be too fair, so I'm just getting on that manga train and hoping the new anime won't completely embarrass the next arc. :shrug:

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
All animated versions of Berserk are, at best, mediocre. At worst they are crap and not even worth mentioning. If you like the idea of the story of Berserk, read the manga. I'm pretty much certain no animation will ever do it justice,

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
Okay i'm pretty much clueless when it comes to anime production logistics and all things surrounding it, but why couldn't berserk get the "Unicorn" treatment?

An arc divided in 3 OVAs with high production value might be the best we could hope for.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Jimmybob posted:

All animated versions of Berserk are, at best, mediocre. At worst they are crap and not even worth mentioning. If you like the idea of the story of Berserk, read the manga. I'm pretty much certain no animation will ever do it justice,

Not true. I love the original anime's rendition of the Golden Age arc even if it does make a fair few cuts. Sound, animation (even limited), and color do a lot to improve the experience even if it can never match even the quality of early Berserk's art.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Seems like the early manga volumes by Dark Horse are back in print, I saw the first three volumes at a Chapters store today, and they're in stock on the website as well.

https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/books/berserk-volume-1/9781593070205-item.html?ikwid=berserk+1&ikwsec=Home&ikwidx=0

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
All animated versions of Berserk take a few hit to quality specifically because they're not drawn by a team of Mirua clones. 97 at least simplified the style to where it never felt jarring or there were noticeable errors. Movie one was the roughest because they had to learn somewhere, however, 2 and 3 actually figured out how to better mesh 2d with 3d and improved exponentially. 2016 was just a disaster every step of the way - and its only made worse that its technically the one that ventured most out of the Golden Age.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Personal_Nirvana posted:

Okay i'm pretty much clueless when it comes to anime production logistics and all things surrounding it, but why couldn't berserk get the "Unicorn" treatment?

An arc divided in 3 OVAs with high production value might be the best we could hope for.

Because while Berserk is a good and popular manga it's not a multi-billion yen media franchise like Gundam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Arrgytehpirate posted:

This post is tragic.