Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Total basic bitch question here (compared to all of this $1200 lens talk, that's way above me)

I got my hands on a super-cheap Panasonic G5 that I got from SA-Mart with this expensive telephoto lens. I've since sold the lens on ebay for WAY TOO MUCH MONEY, and used that money to have a great time out with some friends, and buy some (what I thought were) general-purpose "street" lenses. I have some experience from a million years ago with 35mm stuff (and I'm A-OK with basic camera function and settings - this isn't about that), so I bought:

An Olympus M.Zuiko digital 17/2.8 pancake for wider-angle street shooting (found in perfect condition for like $50 so I pounced). This is the one I generally keep on it.
An adapted Tokina Special 28/2.8 manual lens, for slightly narrower-angle funtimes. A really fun lens that (despite the manual focusing) is really easy to use and seems durable.

(along with an assortment of filters and cases and poo poo, really I was just grabbing for something to take pictures of my car projects for my blog/thread).

After messing around for a week or so, I think I want to get a basic zoom lens, like the kit VARIO 14-42mm lens that came with the camera when it was new. I read good things about it, and you can find it on places like ebay for less than $100 if you're lucky.

I guess, my tl;dr question is, is the stock Panasonic Vario kit lens terrible?

E: :synpa:

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

whatever7 posted:

Canon M5

Really Canon, you guys are still going at it? Maybe you should start a new model name to cut ties with the old M bodies.

Dear Canon,

Please make a digital version of the QL-17 GIII and hope that its help you catch up to Fuji.

Hot Dog Day 42069 posted:

The Fujifilm X-T10 has been discontinued already. That had a rather short shelf life.

Wow, wasn't expecting that. Does anyone know of any good deals on them right now? I've been wanting to pick one up.

frogbs fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Sep 18, 2016

rio
Mar 20, 2008

My main thing is guitar and bass so I see a lot of wedding photographers playing ceremonies. Today I saw my first mirrorless shooter (other than myself when I shoot weddings rarely) - he was using a Sony A7. It was cool - we chatted for a bit and he said he got into the system so he could adapt his Leica glass. It was cool and reminded me that although I have adapters for my nex5n, I have not gotten any adapters for my X-T1 (probably because I am so satisfied with my Fuji lenses.

So probably a stupid question but does the x-trans sensor do well with adapting lenses? It seems like it would be fun, and better than with the Nex because I have all of my external control dials on the X-T1, but before I go an order adapters I am just wondering if there is any weirdness since the sensor is different.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Saros posted:

Okay so trip report on the Fuji 50-230. I'm not very impressed with the sharpness so far.

Maybe I'm spoiled by the 18-55 but it really seems to be lacking in sharpness and contrast at about 120mm+ even stopped down to f/8. Still the IS is quite good and it is very cheap even for a consumer level zoom so I guess I can't complain too much.

I could also have a bad copy, it seems kinda loose around the barrel which may be an artifact of the plastic construction or just bad QC.

The xc fuji lenses are noted for being pretty mediocre.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

rio posted:

So probably a stupid question but does the x-trans sensor do well with adapting lenses? It seems like it would be fun, and better than with the Nex because I have all of my external control dials on the X-T1, but before I go an order adapters I am just wondering if there is any weirdness since the sensor is different.

I'm wondering this as well. Regardless, I have a set of Canon FD, Nikon F, and M42 adapters on their way for my X-T2

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

BANME.sh posted:

I'm wondering this as well. Regardless, I have a set of Canon FD, Nikon F, and M42 adapters on their way for my X-T2

I adapt all the time on fuji. It works as well as any other system. Can be a pain to hand hold really heavy stuff though cause of the body size.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

surrender posted:

Nocticron? I saw an used one under $1K on the Fred Miranda forums a few days ago

Ordered a 15mm Summliux the other day, can't wait to get my hands on it

Yeah, there's a used one near me for about 950... But it doesn't have weather sealing, and the aperture ring will be useles on my E-M1, just like the OIS element. I don't know, these things bother me a little (at that price at least)

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

rio posted:

XTRAN offer distinctive Fuji color. It probably will out sharp the manual lens anyway.

Just flickr "XT1" and your manual lens and see them yourself.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

rio posted:

My main thing is guitar and bass so I see a lot of wedding photographers playing ceremonies.

This sentence left me really confused for quite some time.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Wengy posted:

Yeah, there's a used one near me for about 950... But it doesn't have weather sealing, and the aperture ring will be useles on my E-M1, just like the OIS element. I don't know, these things bother me a little (at that price at least)

Yeah, I was torn between the Summilux and Olympus 17mm because of the aperture ring, but the consensus is that the Summilux is the better lens (and I can always crop my photos to the 17mm's FOV).

rio
Mar 20, 2008

thetzar posted:

This sentence left me really confused for quite some time.

It was a long day and I really butchered that sentence.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Geirskogul posted:

I guess, my tl;dr question is, is the stock Panasonic Vario kit lens terrible?

E: :synpa:

No, it's actually pretty nice for your basic 3.5-5.6 type zoom lens. Very sharp, nice color, and not much distortion at either end. Nothing amazing but good across the board. The worst I can say about it is that it's mostly plastic construction and isn't weatherproof.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That's excellent, then. I found a V2 14-42 for less than a hundo. They changed the base to metal, fixed the slightly "notchy" zoom, and the standard "newer OIS". Was part of what's clearly an ex-husband ebay purge, I think. I'm giving it a shot.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Choicecut posted:

This is tempting. I have a jb designs grip on my XT-1 90% of the time and it works great. The rest of the time I'm minimalist, sans grip with the 27, but man is it hard to hold with my gorilla hands. Do you feel this makes enough difference when handling the camera?
I don't have gigantic hands, but this added just enough bulk to the X-T1 to feel perfect to me. It always felt a bit small to me. Unrelated, but the X-T2's added size feels great.

If anyone else has any of the metal hand grips they could chime in as well. My understanding is that the plate part is the same on all of them and the size just refers to the amount of bulk added to the front of the camera. In the case of the "small" there's no bulk added to the front.

Feel free to make an offer too. I'd rather it end up with someone that will use it.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 19, 2016

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Also I ordered the XF 90 last night, got it today (thanks Amazon!), and so far I'm really liking it. Decided I missed the 70-200 range from my full frame days more than I missed having a wider lens.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Hot Dog Day 42069 posted:

Also I ordered the XF 90 last night, got it today (thanks Amazon!), and so far I'm really liking it. Decided I missed the 70-200 range from my full frame days more than I missed having a wider lens.

You will eventually buy a 16mm, it's just as good as the 90mm (they are my 2 second favorite lenses after the 23 and 56mm).

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

8th-snype posted:

You will eventually buy a 16mm, it's just as good as the 90mm (they are my 2 second favorite lenses after the 23 and 56mm).
I was actually gonna get the 56, then I remembered that there's a 50/2 coming to join the 23/2 and 35/2 next year. I'll wait to see how that turns out.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

The Fuji MF leaks have gotten serious: http://www.fujirumors.com/leaked-first-image-fujifilm-gfx-medium-format-camera/

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Olympus is doing a press conference/event thing at 12:30 eastern today for Photokina. I'm guessing they're formally announcing the new EM-1. Lord knows what else, they've been quiet otherwise.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

DJExile posted:

Olympus is doing a press conference/event thing at 12:30 eastern today for Photokina. I'm guessing they're formally announcing the new EM-1. Lord knows what else, they've been quiet otherwise.

12-100 f4 Pro, 25mm f1.2 Pro, 30mm f3.5 Macro

Panasonic also announced a set of Leica zooms: 8-18, 12-60, 50-200 - all f2.8-4.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I think they're also going to release a twin flash. I'll definitely grab that so I can be lazier with macro.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

surrender posted:

12-100 f4 Pro, 25mm f1.2 Pro, 30mm f3.5 Macro

Panasonic also announced a set of Leica zooms: 8-18, 12-60, 50-200 - all f2.8-4.

Well shut me up then.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
Fuji GFX: 51.4MP.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/19/12969576/fujifilm-gfx-medium-format-mirroless-photokina-2016

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Ffffuuuuuuuuu that Panaleica 8-18 is just what the doctor ordered.

E-MII looking underwhelming, but I wasn't planning on upgrading anyway.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Does the Fuji GFX have a shutter inside the body? Seem to be a serious system camera.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

whatever7 posted:

Does the Fuji GFX have a shutter inside the body? Seem to be a serious system camera.

yes it's a FP shutter, not leaf shutters in the lenses.

Sharizard
Jun 15, 2009

Oly finally has a pro repair / maintenance plan, hell yeeeeeeeaaaa. That weathersealed flash looks pretty cool, too.

I still have an E-M5. From the way things are looking, I think it'll finally be time for me to upgrade. The only thing I'm worried about is continuous and tracking AF not being as great as they're making it seem.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
I might pick up an LX10 - something the size of the RX100 with a touch screen may be exactly what I'm looking for in a travel compact.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
Maaaaan. .that gfx is gonna be killer. If it's priced right, they will sell a lot of those.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Choicecut posted:

Maaaaan. .that gfx is gonna be killer. If it's priced right, they will sell a lot of those.

Fuji rumors posted:

The Fujiflm GFX 50S will cost less then $10,000 with lens and viewfinder (that’s Fuji’s “commitment”).

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
OM-D E-M1 Mk2 - http://www.getolympus.com/ca/en/e-m1-mark-ii.html

- 20MP
- 60fps (S-AF) or 18fps (C-AF) in electronic shutter mode, or 15fps (S-AF) in mechanical shutter mode
- 121 point, cross-type phase detect autofocus
- 50MP high res shot mode

Goddamn.

Goodbye paycheck, I hardly knew ye.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Huxley posted:

The Fujiflm GFX 50S will cost less then $10,000 with lens and viewfinder (that’s Fuji’s “commitment”).

9,999.99$

Edit: Mad props to all the dream big folks on DPR who think it's going to be like 4,000$ though. You do you.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

jesus christ that 25mm f/1.2 looks like a riot

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

timrenzi574 posted:

9,999.99$

Edit: Mad props to all the dream big folks on DPR who think it's going to be like 4,000$ though. You do you.

Fuji has mentioned several times that it will be priced "way" under the x1d. My guess is the "way" under means 6-8k.

4 grand would be loving insane.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Apparently I need a lens protector filter. Despite using the square hood with my 23/1.4 I managed to scratch the front lens to some bush during last hiking trip. I know it wont affect IQ that much but every scratch is like at least $100 off resale value.

Fuji's square hoods are useless if you want to use any kind of lens caps, so seems the filter is the way to go.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ihmemies posted:

Apparently I need a lens protector filter. Despite using the square hood with my 23/1.4 I managed to scratch the front lens to some bush during last hiking trip. I know it wont affect IQ that much but every scratch is like at least $100 off resale value.

Fuji's square hoods are useless if you want to use any kind of lens caps, so seems the filter is the way to go.

I managed to scratch my Suunto watch and dropped my XT1+14mm on Franconia Ridge. Fortunately the 3 feet drop didn't damage the lens. One thing I learn from this trip is that you usually have less command of your body after hiking for 5 hours and should take more precaution than the usual weekend shooting.

I usually use cheap Tiffen or Hoya filters, but I got a B+W for my 16mm.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 19, 2016

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Wengy posted:

Ffffuuuuuuuuu that Panaleica 8-18 is just what the doctor ordered.

Oh God it's going to cost all the moneys isn't it.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Choicecut posted:

Fuji has mentioned several times that it will be priced "way" under the x1d. My guess is the "way" under means 6-8k.

4 grand would be loving insane.
Maybe it's just me but if I should sell the house to buy a camera I'd rather buy a Hasselblad*. I bet many people feel that way so I think Fuji should price it "way" lower if they want to move many of them.

* based on very little info about the cameras

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I heard that the "way under $10k" comment also included the 63mm lens and standard viewfinder, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I love Zack Arias' response:
https://twitter.com/zarias/status/777896330748305408
Also DigitalRev TV:
https://www.facebook.com/DigitalRev/videos/10153820154526767/

I'm glad to see Fuji going medium format instead of trying to do a full-frame mirrorless as well. APS-C and MF seem like a smart way to segment their offerings.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 19, 2016