Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
His old video game stuff is universally wonderful (the early medal of honor games and a bunch of others), even if it's riffing heavily off Williams himself it's some good poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I liked Giacchino's score for Lost, though it felt a bit overplayed at times.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I liked his work on Cloverfield. The monster's theme in particular really captured the feeling of the old Toho Godzilla themes.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Michael Giacchino is one of the Williamsest film composers currently working. A frequent Disney collaborator and second in line to score The Force Awakens, he's sort of been the heir-apparent for a while now.

I was interested to hear Alexandre Desplat's take on Star Wars, but this is good too.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

star tours is cool

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Kly posted:

star tours is cool
:agreed:

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
In The Force Awakens do they ever say why they're trying to find Luke? They already blew up the new Death Star - in fact, it seemed pretty easy to blow up! What specifically do they want Luke to do?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Polo-Rican posted:

In The Force Awakens do they ever say why they're trying to find Luke? They already blew up the new Death Star - in fact, it seemed pretty easy to blow up! What specifically do they want Luke to do?

Lead them.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

He's just a cool guy to have around.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Polo-Rican posted:

Same thing the old rebels wanted Obi-Wan to do.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
Well, I'm pretty sure they want Luke so they can take care of Snoke and Kylo Ren, cause without Luke they don't really have a way to deal with them

And the last time Luke took out some Sith they won a big war very fast

I want to see Luke wreck some poo poo in the next movie (but I feel like he's probably going to just be chill and be like 'na you do it I'm too old for this)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Luke must get a scene where he proves why he's a master. If it's not with an extremely rad lightsaber fight, I believe it will be something better.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Bongo Bill posted:

In A New Hope Luke meets Obi Wan and it's the start of his grand adventure. In this movie Rey finds Luke in the very last scene when the adventure is seemingly concluded. They're trying to lead into the next movie but the problem is that I have no idea what specifically they're leading into. I guess they have to kill Snoke eventually?

Is this something that's specifically communicated in the movie (I honestly don't remember) or rather conjecture? Leia seems to be doing a really good job leading the resistance.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Polo-Rican posted:

In A New Hope Luke meets Obi Wan and it's the start of his grand adventure. In this movie Rey finds Luke in the very last scene when the adventure is seemingly concluded. They're trying to lead into the next movie but the problem is that I have no idea what specifically they're leading into. I guess they have to kill Snoke eventually?

This is a minor spoiler but the director has revealed that in the very first scene in Episode 8 they'll start with Luke and Rey on that island and they'll start talking, so literally right after Episode 7 ends. So we'll find out real quick what is up, and that should be a hell of an interesting exchange

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Neither Luke nor Rey was the one on a secret mission to recruit a bearded Jedi that had to be continued by a small rolling droid after the spaceship encountered misfortune near a crappy desert planet. The question was the motivation behind the inciting incidents.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Polo-Rican posted:

Luke is Rey's dad. Luke will set Rey down the path to vindicate her father's legacy in the same way that Obi-Wan did for him, but it'll be a neat inversion of the OT story. Anakin was a reviled evil cyborg who only maintained a tiny shred of his childhood goodness, whereas Luke is a figure of legend who is literally worshipped and yet deep down feels like a massive failure.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Polo-Rican posted:

The First Order wants to find Luke because it wants to eliminate the last genuine threat it feels there is. Kylo Ren wants to find Luke because he's obsessed with his self-hatred and hatred of his family. The Resistance wants to protect him from both.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Bongo Bill posted:

Luke must get a scene where he proves why he's a master. If it's not with an extremely rad lightsaber fight, I believe it will be something better.

If Luke doesn't have a lightsaber fight scene where he shows off his Jedi Master skills I'll be super disappointed. I'm not expecting prequel trilogy levels of craziness but that'd be awesome. Going to be a long wait for episode 8.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Spacebump posted:

If Luke doesn't have a lightsaber fight scene where he shows off his Jedi Master skills I'll be super disappointed. I'm not expecting prequel trilogy levels of craziness but that'd be awesome. Going to be a long wait for episode 8.

The first movie to actually feature Luke Skywalker in 34 years is going to show him wrecking some face. Don't worry about it.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Zoran posted:

The first movie to actually feature Luke Skywalker in 34 years is going to show him wrecking some face. Don't worry about it.

I thought that about the old heroes going into the last movie. Chewie got shot, Han was killed because he decided to not shoot first, Leia stood around a base, R2D2 was asleep, and Luke didn't speak. I assume you're right, no way would they kill him off before he does some cool stuff.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Bongo Bill posted:

In Stat Wars, Leia wanted Obiwan to deliver the Death Star plans to her father on Alderaan.

In TFA, Leia only wants Luke to restore feudalism.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

If you want Luke to show his development specifically through strength of arms then you didn't Get Star Wars and likely never did

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

mr. stefan posted:

If you want Luke to show his development specifically through strength of arms then you didn't Get Star Wars and likely never did

I agree, having Luke's Jedi Mastery manifest itself through strength of arms misses the entire point of the saga. But I'm still confident that we're going to see it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

He will perform physical feats, although they will not be how he proves to the audience why he's considered so important. His power is not in strength of arms, but he still has that kind of strength. The protagonist has just delivered a weapon to him. Either he will fight and it will be awesome, or he will refuse to fight and it will be even more awesome.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

He will perform physical feats, although they will not be how he proves to the audience why he's considered so important. His power is not in strength of arms, but he still has that kind of strength. The protagonist has just delivered a weapon to him. Either he will fight and it will be awesome, or he will refuse to fight and it will be even more awesome.

Here's hoping! I am personally optimistic for the future of the Luke character and I think he can still go in a lot of interesting directions.

Seeing as how Rey tapped into the Force mainly as a means to save herself and fight better, I would be surprised if she doesn't get told off by Dad at some point for thinking of the Force purely in that way.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

mr. stefan posted:

I'm not saying he should strike first or become a killer/embrace the Dark Side. Let's examine Luke's development in each movie.

Episode 4: Luke learns about the existence of the force, Obi-Wan teaches him to hone his force abilities. Luke uses the teachings of Obi-Wan to blow up the biggest space station ever created with an X-Wing. (Killing a large amount of people in self defense.)

Episode 5: Luke's ship crashes in the Battle of Hoth, uses his maturing force/light saber abilities to take down an AT-AT. Goes to Dagobah, leaves before he has honed his skills enough. Skills have become good enough to lift an X-Wing out of a swamp. Gets owned by the more powerful Darth Vader.

Episode 6: Luke tries to use Jedi powers on Jabba to peacefully force him into giving him what he wants. Does not work, gets dropped down into a pit with a monster. Luke uses his increased Jedi skills to take down a giant monster, proceeds to rescue friends/lead assault against Jabba using force powers. The end result is taking down Jabba and his whole crew. Shows his increased Jedi mastery by chopping off Vader's hand, does not kill his father/embrace Dark Side. A more powerful Sith Lord starts frying him, Luke is saved by Vader.

Episode 7: Luke appears briefly on screen and is given the signature weapon of the Jedi.

Episode 8: Luke uses his increased Jedi Mastery to defend himself/friends in battle is not an unreasonable expectation.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 16, 2016

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Spacebump posted:

Episode 8: Luke uses his increased Jedi Mastery to defend himself/friends in battle is not an unreasonable expectation.

That doesn't mean he needs to do it with a huge lightsaber fight. I'm hoping there's big open field battle that he manages to stop cold by opening a massive rift in the earth between the opposing sides, kinda like a callback to Starkiller Base where the chasm opens right as Rey's slipping into the dark side.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
The best jedi master vs sith lord fight was in Episode 5 of Harry Potter

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I really hope that Luke is played like OT Yoda, where we recognize his strength through his convictions and wisdom. He doesn't have to demonstrate his power, he simply exudes it.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/RealTrumpatine/status/776939606843490304

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

I'm going to build a Death Star, a great Death Star, and the separatists are going to pay for it!

Actually Count Dooku and Mike Pence have a decent amount in common too

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Palpatine is a secret fascist who play-acts as a liberal reluctant warrior type. He drags the whole galaxy into terrible war and then abolishes democracy by convincing the Senate that those are the only reasonable things to do, thereby marginalizing Padmé's anti-war activist party.

He's not Donald Trump, and Padmé is not Hillary Clinton.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 17, 2016

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

mr. stefan posted:

Luke will beat up Kylo Ren with both hands cut off.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Zoran posted:

Palpatine is a secret fascist who play-acts as a liberal reluctant warrior type. He drags the whole galaxy into terrible war and then abolishes democracy by convincing the Senate that those are the only reasonable things to do, thereby marginalizing Padmé's anti-war activist party.

He's not Donald Trump, and Padmé is not Hillary Clinton.

But, they're both bad guys?

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
What if Trump is actually trying to prepare us for the Vong?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Pops Mgee posted:

Then we live in the reality that Disney makes non-canon. Let's hope we can make it into the new real canon like Thrawn.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Pops Mgee posted:

That would be consistent with his anti-immigration rhetoric, yes.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Apollodorus posted:

That would be consistent with his anti-immigration rhetoric, yes.
Why does he keep praising Onimi and calling him a strong leader then?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The scandal of the midichlorians is that, in an ironic sort of way, they prove the Force is not a fiction. Certain people actually have mutant powers that allow them to move rocks "God is real, and he's an American." That sort of thing.

I know this is several hundred pages too late but i missed the watchmen thread way back. What does the "god is real" phrase mean to you smg?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Waffles Inc. posted:

I really hope that Luke is played like OT Yoda, where we recognize his strength through his convictions and wisdom. He doesn't have to demonstrate his power, he simply exudes it.

Yoda was originally supposed to have a scene in ESB demonstrating his amazing combat prowess (against a pair of remotes he's using to train Luke), so that it would create even more of a wonderful contradiction when he tells Luke that combat prowess is not really what makes someone great. He was based on Takashi Shimura's character from Seven Samurai, who's basically the embodiment of the same concept--an aged samurai possessed of a great warrior's skill but who is truly great because of his war-weary wisdom. The only reason there wasn't such a scene was because Yoda was a puppet.

A lot of people apparently really misunderstood the point of Yoda's character in ESB, which is what led to the rejection on the part of many regarding how he was portrayed in the prequels. The Yoda of TESB really was supposed to have been a "great warrior" back in the day, just like Luke assumed. Luke's mistake was in thinking the older, war-humbled Yoda of the present would be the same as the legendary warrior Yoda of the past.

There was no disconnect between either Lucas, Kasdan, or Kershner on this point. Kasdan was shocked when Lucas told him that the Yoda of ESB couldn't go out and fight Darth Vader and the Emperor, because he naturally assumed that Yoda would still be an active warrior in his old age, just like Ben Kenobi was. Kershner himself filmed parts of a scene where Yoda instructs Luke in the finer points of lightsaber combat (explaining Luke's proficiency in his duel with Vader), but the scene had to be cut simply because of schedule overruns.

Yoda always knew how to use a lightsaber. He just chose not to use one anymore, because he realized that's not what he was supposed to be doing.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Sep 18, 2016

• Locked thread