Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

azurite posted:

Cross-posting from the NES thread in GBS:

:gonk:

Also works for cunnilingus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I AM THE TOILET posted:

What are some must plays on the PSP?

Short answer: Outrun 2006, Project Diva, Persona 3, and Tactics Ogre LUCT.

Long answer

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The first entry on that list is loving The 3rd Birthday. Do not listen to this list.

E: Sorry didn't mean to be a dick, it just needs to be emphasised that do not play The 3rd Birthday.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Sep 18, 2016

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

The short answer was the only one that mattered anyway.

Oh, and I think I finally found the most expensive Mega Drive game ever:

Over 300€ already -- the bid snipers at the end haven't even made their mark.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

I AM THE TOILET posted:

I miss my hacked PSP. Played the Mother 3 translation on it while waiting at the laundromat. Dunno why I got rid of it.

Just gonna list off some stuff what I think is good and all.

Ace Combat X
Brandish: The Dark Revenant
Final Fantasy IV Complete
Gitaroo Man Lives
Gods Eater Burst
Harvest Moon: Boy and Girl
Kenka Bancho
Mega Man Maverick Hunter X
Mega Man Powered Up
Monster Hunter Portable 3rd
Phantasy Star Portable 2/Infinity
Prinny: Can I Really Be The Hero?
Ridge Racers 2
Space Invaders Extreme
Tokobot
Wipeout Pure
Me & My Katamari
Half Minute Hero
Gladiator Begins
Persona 3 Portable

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

If you're at all a fan of the Final Fantasy series, the Dissidia fighting crossover spin off is dumb, good fun. Skip the first one and go for the prequel (Dissidia 012: Final Fantasy) though, it all but includes the other.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

I'm fond of the PSP remake of Castlevania Rondo of Blood for PSP. And if you're a purist you can unlock the original game (as well as SOTN). Also MGS Peacewalker. The other MGS Acid games are kind of fun. Patapon if you like rhythm games. Man the PSP had some great games.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Oh yeah, Patapon and Locoroco are both real good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AlphaKretin posted:

The first entry on that list is loving The 3rd Birthday. Do not listen to this list.

E: Sorry didn't mean to be a dick, it just needs to be emphasised that do not play The 3rd Birthday.

It also lists Valkyria Chronicles II. If you like VC1, do not play VC2. VC3's okay though, apparently.

Trails in the Sky is well worth getting on PSP, and you can get TiTS: Second Chapter off of the PSN store.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
All the Ys games are fun on psp too. and there's a decent amount of retro compilations

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

The short answer was the only one that mattered anyway.

Oh, and I think I finally found the most expensive Mega Drive game ever:

Over 300€ already -- the bid snipers at the end haven't even made their mark.

Panorama Cotton is generally regarded as the most expensive Genesis game.

Speaking PSP and light play on the go games. I really enjoyed the new Qix game that came out for it. The Konami shooter collections are also great, especially Parodius. And the Final Fantasy ports aren't horrible on the system if you really want to play them.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
Lumines is still really great, even if its sequels are everywhere.

Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions is a toss-up, with a better translation and extra content but also some battle slowdown that really shouldn't be there. Knowing FFT fans, though, there's probably a hack that fixes all of that and I'm too lazy to look.

Crisis Core seemed OK from what I played but I stopped around the point where a guy named Genesis asked the main character what angels dream about.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Time to first game over in Hard Corps: 21 seconds. I long for a life bar.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The circuit breaker in my original Xbox power supply randomly trips when the window air conditioner kicks on. Does this indicate there's something wrong with it? Like it didn't start doing this until a month ago or so.

I can't move either device to another wall circuit, as there's only a single circuit for the apartment.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

fishmech posted:

The circuit breaker in my original Xbox power supply randomly trips when the window air conditioner kicks on. Does this indicate there's something wrong with it? Like it didn't start doing this until a month ago or so.

I can't move either device to another wall circuit, as there's only a single circuit for the apartment.

Yup. The original one had a power supply that caused a few homes to burn down to ashes. Consider it a Samsung Note 7 with a battery on recall.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

MrLonghair posted:

Yup. The original one had a power supply that caused a few homes to burn down to ashes. Consider it a Samsung Note 7 with a battery on recall.

The recall was to replace the plain simple power cord with one that had a GFCI circuit like on a hair dryer. If THAT is tripping that just means there's a sudden spike in current and the power cord is trying to protect the Xbox.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Yeah the main reason I ask if it's broken is because nothing else trips the same way, and otherwise the only thing that gets affected is the lights dim momentarily when the AC kicks on.. The 360 and Xbox One don't have any issues handling the momentary drop and surge.

Is there something cheap that could smooth it out, like some sort of low capacity UPS? Or maybe a third party Xbox power supply that doesn't trip so fast?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

A UPS would work great for that, but that wouldn't be very cheap unless you found a secondhand one.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

fishmech posted:

Yeah the main reason I ask if it's broken is because nothing else trips the same way, and otherwise the only thing that gets affected is the lights dim momentarily when the AC kicks on.. The 360 and Xbox One don't have any issues handling the momentary drop and surge.

Is there something cheap that could smooth it out, like some sort of low capacity UPS? Or maybe a third party Xbox power supply that doesn't trip so fast?

Turn the AC off and use a fan... jk.

A UPS is worth a shot, just turn off the beep/alarm so that isn't going off every so often whenever it has to kick on. Though the voltage drop/spike detection may not be sensitive enough, so make sure you look in to see how quickly and when the battery kicks in. They make line stabilizers you can connect to your AC system, or main line for the whole apartment, that helps with fluctuating voltages. Something you could bring up with your landlord and say that it is damaging your electronics/devices in your house (which it is if they keep getting hit with voltage drops and spikes), maybe they'd install something.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The lab stage two boss in Hard Corps is goddamned hard to figure out, but I finally managed to reach stage three.

Still longing for a life bar and infinite continues. Awesome game, but it's like playing Contra 3 on hard mode: rewarding with its sheer chaos and genuinely intended for expert players.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

I AM THE TOILET posted:

I miss my hacked PSP. Played the Mother 3 translation on it while waiting at the laundromat. Dunno why I got rid of it.

ridge racer. its a really fun compilation of the ridge racer games for psp

+nitrous boost >:]

Zand fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 18, 2016

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

I AM THE TOILET posted:

Not sure what games you like, so here is a variety of games that I have decided to keep for my PSP:
- PS1 classics (your favorites)
- FF7 Crisis Core
- FF4 complete
- FF3 (digital only in NA)
- FF1 and FF2 remakes
- FF Tactics
- Lunar Silver Star Harmony
- Half Minute Hero
- P3P
- 007 From Russia with Love
- GTA Liberty City Stories
- GTA Vice City Stories
- Star Wars Battlefront games
- Star Wars Force Unleashed
- Killzone Liberation
- Little Big Planet
- God of War games
- The Warriors
- PowerStone Collection
- Gran Turismo
- Motorstorm Arctic Edge
- Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles
- Ratchet & Clank

I'm trying to get my hands on the Ys games as well

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 18, 2016

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Kid Fenris posted:

Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions is a toss-up, with a better translation and extra content but also some battle slowdown that really shouldn't be there. Knowing FFT fans, though, there's probably a hack that fixes all of that and I'm too lazy to look.

Yes, there is. This fix turns it into the definitive version of the game. FFIV Complete is also its definitive version. Good job PSP!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Trails in the Sky is well worth getting on PSP, and you can get TiTS: Second Chapter off of the PSN store.

Unless you absolutely need it to be portable, get the PC releases instead. They are goon-translated, and from what I understand, the project was incredibly stressful and nearly killed SpaceDrake.

people posted:

Contrachat

Has anyone played Contra Rebirth? Castlevania and Gradius rebirths were pretty drat good with incredible soundtracks (M2 :swoon:), so I'm guessing Contra is the same. Shame they're stuck on the Wii platform, though.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 18, 2016

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
So I've been listening to a lot of old retronauts episodes and now I want to go back and play some old Playstation games.

What is the best play to PS1 games on a HDTV? I have a slim PS2 and the smaller, redesigned PS1. I was thinking about just getting a component cable for the PS2.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

mariooncrack posted:

So I've been listening to a lot of old retronauts episodes and now I want to go back and play some old Playstation games.

What is the best play to PS1 games on a HDTV? I have a slim PS2 and the smaller, redesigned PS1. I was thinking about just getting a component cable for the PS2.

All PS3s play PS1 games, and you can buy most of the expensive poo poo digitally without breaking the bank.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

mariooncrack posted:

A ps3. Also you then have unlimited save data pretty much. Component off a ps2 is ok but not über.

Ideally ps1 is best in an emulator and everything can get super sharp. Burn the disk to your hard drive and no loading times either really.

And on mascot platformer chat: Castle of a Illusion on NTSC SMS is the best one. Klonoa 2 on the ps2 is also quite legit.

And Ys Oath in Felghana is THE PSP game bar none. Valkyrie Profile only legit contender.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ofecks posted:

Has anyone played Contra Rebirth? Castlevania and Gradius rebirths were pretty drat good with incredible soundtracks (M2 :swoon:), so I'm guessing Contra is the same. Shame they're stuck on the Wii platform, though.

I really wish the Rebirth games would have gotten a rerelease as a collection or something. But with Konami out of video games, it's unlikely that they'll even ever be discounted.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Been a while since I've stuck my head in here, but a couple of us arcade-centric streamers are doing a "1CC marathon" at the end of the month.

Schedule and stream link are here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UuRCJbIJoL6WP95NszxkO-rJyld05PldgWQhu6_K98Q/edit?usp=sharing

We did a similar thing last year and people seemed to enjoy it, should be a little bit for everyone there!

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Contra Rebirth is solid. The backgrounds tend to be a bit blah with a lack of detail, but it's got great set pieces and good music and plays like Contra should play. I've not yet made it past the fourth level.

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
PSP chat and no mention of DJ Max Portable Black Square and/or Clazziquai :( If you like music games (read: portable Beatmania) check it out.

Just be careful if you :filez: Black Square, the copy protection deletes itself and any other DJ Max save game it finds unless you patch the iso.

URL grey tea fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 18, 2016

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I would argue a Vita TV is pretty good for playing PS1 games, it's been recently hacked [possible on firmware 3.60] but right now there's no PSP mode hack available, so no PS1. Once that gets released, you could basically have a $50 PS1 thing for your TV. Not super high res like PC emulation, but it works nicely in my experience! Also it'd run PSP games, and there's lots of good ones.

And yep, DJ Max owns owns owns. I'm not very good at it, which I blame largely on the control scheme [I'm used to Beatmania/whatever with custom controllers] but it's still a lot of fun.

E. I hope someone figures out how to redirect memory card storage to the Vita TV's USB port because lol $100 for a 64 gig card

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 18, 2016

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
Seems like you either like JRPGs and mega-weeb poo poo on Sony handhelds or you can just gently caress straight off.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I AM THE TOILET posted:

Seems like you either like JRPGs and mega-weeb poo poo on Sony handhelds or you can just gently caress straight off.

Hey, they also have terrible, stripped down versions of better games that were released on the main consoles.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

iastudent posted:

Been a while since I've stuck my head in here, but a couple of us arcade-centric streamers are doing a "1CC marathon" at the end of the month.

Schedule and stream link are here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UuRCJbIJoL6WP95NszxkO-rJyld05PldgWQhu6_K98Q/edit?usp=sharing

We did a similar thing last year and people seemed to enjoy it, should be a little bit for everyone there!

Yeah, the last one was great. Looking forward to this. Why are they leting Trap play J.J. Squakers again? Game isn't that good.

e: New Generation-16 episode! That Dangerous Seed soundtrack is great. Had to acquire it after watching this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OL30Zy7IJo

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 18, 2016

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

This ended at over 400€ (405 + 10 shipping). That's about 460 USD for you dwellers of the outside world.

I think I'm going to play this on an emulator to see what the big fuss is.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

This ended at over 400€ (405 + 10 shipping). That's about 460 USD for you dwellers of the outside world.

I think I'm going to play this on an emulator to see what the big fuss is.

It's the weak home port of the excellent Capcom arcade brawler. If you're going to emulate it, play the original version.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Ofecks posted:

Why are they leting Trap play J.J. Squakers again?

because he's obsessed with it, for some reason

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I'm in Denver for the week. Does anybody know of stores in the area worth checking out?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

mikeycp posted:

I'm in Denver for the week. Does anybody know of stores in the area worth checking out?

When I was there years ago for a job training thing I found a bunch of stores that were actually really good and came back with a ton of stuff, but I can't remember what any of them were called. I just googled "denver game shops" and went to all the play n trades and non-gamestop ones. I think I used google maps as well. Back in 2011 it seemed like nobody in Denver was into old games because what I was finding in those shops for very little money was seriously cool, I'm not sure how it is today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Discount Viscount posted:

Contra Rebirth is solid. The backgrounds tend to be a bit blah with a lack of detail, but it's got great set pieces and good music and plays like Contra should play. I've not yet made it past the fourth level.

Contra Rebirth also has one of the most obscure callbacks I've ever seen in a video game.

http://www.kidfenris.com/2010/12/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-ii-mystery.html?m=0

• Locked thread