Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
300+ mile trip, Kalamazoo to Toledo and back. Got the best gas mileage I've ever had - 37mpg! Makes the trip one way with no stops for fuel. Tomorrow, chain maintenance and clean it for the work week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Schroeder91 posted:

New rear pads. I somehow ran them down to metal again. At least this time the rotor is relatively OK. I'm not sure they changed the rear pads when I got my engine replaced, even though I gave them new pads and a rotor, which they did replace. If they did, then they didn't even last 3k miles. Is this normal for organic pads when you use only the rear brakes 95% of the time?

How come you use only the rear brake 95% of the time?

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Replaced a float needle in a buddies cb250 carby. Was easy enough though we had to replace a threaded screw and also pissed fuel everywhere.

Also, it didnt fix the leak we were out to fix so mission success, lets go to the pub

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

How come you use only the rear brake 95% of the time?

I still use the front if I need it, but if I'm coming up to a stoplight or need to slow down engine braking + rears covers it majority of the time. If I need to stop faster, I use the front too.

Slavvy posted:

Sounds like your lever is adjusted improperly and dragging the rear brake all the time, or you have a jammed up caliper or something.

Or you ride around with your heels on the pegs like UTTER FILTH and are unwittingly dragging the rear brake slightly.

I'd be lying if I said I never did that :v: but I usually try and hang my toes away from the controls for that very reason. I'll have to look into the lever and caliper it sounds like.

Schroeder91 fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Sep 18, 2016

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also use your front brake more

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
The front brake is much more efficient please use it.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Yes I'm aware it's better but I don't need to lay into my brakes every time I stop.

Edit: I'll make am effort to use em more but it sucks when your front dips hard. Currently looking to upgrade the springs when I do my forks.

Schroeder91 fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 18, 2016

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
I actually took my off road motorcycle off road. :aaa:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Schroeder91 posted:

Yes I'm aware it's better but I don't need to lay into my brakes every time I stop.

Edit: I'll make am effort to use em more but it sucks when your front dips hard. Currently looking to upgrade the springs when I do my forks.

You are aware that brake levers are not on/off switches right?

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

You are aware that brake levers are not on/off switches right?

Yes. If I don't need the increased braking force that the front can put out then what's wrong with using the rear?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

When you brake, the weight shifts forwards and increases traction on the front wheel while decreasing it on the rear. I'd say that the rear brake alone locks up and slides at about a quarter to a third of the braking effort that is possible with the front alone (depends on your vehicle obviously).

So you say that's not a big deal if you don't "need" the additional force, but you can't really predict when that'll be the case. If you're braking using the rear and a car runs the red light and you suddenly have to brake harder, stomping on the rear will just make you fishtail. So you grab for the front, but there's a fraction of a second lost doing that. And then since you aren't already on the front brake with the suspension compressed and the wheel under load, the bike will be less stable in that transition from no-brake to maximum-effort braking.

I tend to use engine braking and the front brake alone 95% of the time, and only get on the rear as well when I need to stop really hard in a straight line. (e: on the newer bike. On my 350 with drums front and rear, I need to use both simultaneously every time to get reasonable stopping distances).

If you're worried about suspension dive, fix that instead of giving up 75% of your potential braking force most of the time.

e2: do you have a cruiser? The issues aren't quite as bad in those situations, because the geometry and extra weight mean that more force remains over the rear. The front is still the primary brake, though.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 18, 2016

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Plus muscle memory isn't going to magically remember how to apply the front brake correctly when you suddenly need that additional braking ability.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Also you're chewing through rear brake pads like mad. The front brakes are stronger like you say, so a light touch will give you the same braking force for less pad wear.

Sagebrush posted:

So you say that's not a big deal if you don't "need" the additional force, but you can't really predict when that'll be the case. If you're braking using the rear and a car runs the red light and you suddenly have to brake harder, stomping on the rear will just make you fishtail. So you grab for the front, but there's a fraction of a second lost doing that. And then since you aren't already on the front brake with the suspension compressed and the wheel under load, the bike will be less stable in that transition from no-brake to maximum-effort braking.

Anecdotally, this exact thing happened to me several times in my first few months of riding when I still cautious of using the front brake.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 18, 2016

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
always use your drat brakes. both of them. if you ever drove something big with only rear brakes, you'd know why.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

On my MSF, the instructor had to keep reminding me to use the rear brake as well, because I was more used to bicycling than driving and focused entirely on the levers. </humblebrag>

(I also struggled with not pulling in the clutch every time I braked for the first couple of months)

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

When you brake, the weight shifts forwards and increases traction on the front wheel while decreasing it on the rear. I'd say that the rear brake alone locks up and slides at about a quarter to a third of the braking effort that is possible with the front alone (depends on your vehicle obviously).

I tend to use engine braking and the front brake alone 95% of the time, and only get on the rear as well when I need to stop really hard in a straight line. (e: on the newer bike. On my 350 with drums front and rear, I need to use both simultaneously every time to get reasonable stopping distances).

If you're worried about suspension dive, fix that instead of giving up 75% of your potential braking force most of the time.

e2: do you have a cruiser? The issues aren't quite as bad in those situations, because the geometry and extra weight mean that more force remains over the rear. The front is still the primary brake, though.

No, it's a Vstrom 1000 and the front dives the second I touch the front brake. It really is the main reason I don't want to use it if I don't need to. But what you say makes sense. I've already ordered springs to swap out when I do my fork seals. I've had no issues braking how I do and have done it a long time so it's habitual and I like it. What z3n says though was my biggest concern, not having the muscle memory. There's been a couple instances where I need both and I didn't have any issues grabbing the front though.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
anything without a telelever or other exotic front end designs will have some brake dive. get used to it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Some dive is normal -- that's just how suspension works (unless you have a BMW Opsidedaunersuspensung). Is this a known issue with the V-Strom 1000? Are you a big fat guy?

Maybe have a suspension guy check it out and tell you if it's set up right before changing things. If you have already done this, ignore.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I believe it is a common weak area in them, from what I've been searching about them. And yes I'm a big fat fucker at 6'6" and around 340. My cbr500r had hella dive too until I changed the springs and it was much better. The Vstrom is squishy as gently caress. I don't know if the PO did anything to it or not.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Yeah at that weight you probably would need some stiffer shocks. Bike will definitely be safer after you get it set up.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ah, yeah, you're definitely going to have excessive dive then, since Japanese bikes seem to come from the factory set up for a Japanese guy of average weight (like, 135lbs). Incidentally, your weight is also likely part of why the brake pads are wearing out prematurely -- that's a lot of momentum and energy that needs to be dissipated, and the rear brake is smaller in diameter with smaller pads that heat up faster.

Fix the springs and start using the brake properly IMO. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Hopefully everything will be here by next weekend and I can get it swapped out. I'll report back then.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Revalve + Respring for your weight.

if you're curious as to how much travel you are using regularly, wrap a ziptie around the chrome stanchion like this:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yeah at your size/weight I'm not surprised you're burning out rear pads using the rear only. Swap to using front and rear and your pads will last a lot longer.

Also you're on the right path with respringing that thing, OEM vstrom forks are hilariously soft.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

cursedshitbox posted:

Revalve + Respring for your weight.

if you're curious as to how much travel you are using regularly, wrap a ziptie around the chrome stanchion like this:

I was going to get the race tech gold valves too but it has to wait for budget reasons. Even better than a zip tie, I'm getting a little fork seal leak, which is why I'm doing them obviously.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Z3n posted:

OEM vstrom Suzuki forks are hilariously soft.

Just Suzuki thangs. :shrug:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

On my MSF, the instructor had to keep reminding me to use the rear brake as well, because I was more used to bicycling than driving and focused entirely on the levers. </humblebrag>

(I also struggled with not pulling in the clutch every time I braked for the first couple of months)

License test humblebrag time: I got talked to for getting too low in corners :dukedog:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

License test humblebrag time: I got talked to for getting too low in corners :dukedog:

I broke an indicated 90 mph on a spirited overtake on my test.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Had the 600 mile service done on Friday. It was an oil change, chain adjustment, steering head re-torque, 9k rpm rev limiter removal and a bunch of checks. $238 worth of BMW tax. At least they washed it for free.

I also had the OEM side cases and a HP chain tensioner installed.

And added a cheap radiator and oil cooler guard.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Man that color scheme is pretty dope.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Z3n posted:

Man that color scheme is pretty dope.

Thanks! I love the way this bike looks and rides.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I learned how to change oil and oil filter on my MV. It only took 3 hours! Also checked the air filter and installed new clutch & break levers. It was pretty fun. Had to lay 'er down to find out that what looked liked hex bolts on the sump were star bolts. Yay! Guys at San Jose Moto Guild have been very helpful. It's nice to have an access to a lift and all that poo poo along with someone else's years of experience.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I POR15'd a tank because my previous efforts of de-lining and de-rusting were so effective I uncovered pinhole leaks, which incidentally must have been what the PO was trying to cover up with the first lining :suicide:

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Schroeder91 posted:

No, it's a Vstrom 1000 and the front dives the second I touch the front brake. ... I've had no issues braking how I do and have done it a long time so it's habitual and I like it.

When I started riding on a CBR250, I used the rear brake all the time too and it felt more natural. That said, every larger bike I've ridden has had a hilariously ineffectual rear brake, my old SV1000 included, and I've quickly gotten used to mostly using the front. Assuming the Vstrom has a similar setup - it shares a stack of SV1000 parts, no? - its no wonder you're running those pads down. Using the rear to slow that biek has got to be some exercise in patience and early application.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

prukinski posted:

When I started riding on a CBR250, I used the rear brake all the time too and it felt more natural. That said, every larger bike I've ridden has had a hilariously ineffectual rear brake, my old SV1000 included, and I've quickly gotten used to mostly using the front. Assuming the Vstrom has a similar setup - it shares a stack of SV1000 parts, no? - its no wonder you're running those pads down. Using the rear to slow that biek has got to be some exercise in patience and early application.

I've had no issues braking with just the rear and engine braking, and I'm not braking super early either.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I don't even understand how you can use the rear for more than 15-25% of braking. Just did the pads on the rear of my Tuono since the PO must have mainly used them, but they are still just useless. Kinda fun locking up the rear when roll up to a stop light sometimes, but otherwise every bike I have owned the rear is just a supplement to the front. Although the engine braking on my twin is insane, so I guess I could see how the PO did just that with the rear...

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

The engine braking probably did a majority of the work and the rears just supplemented it? I dunno. I didn't have to brake earlier than normal and never blew past anything cause I couldn't stop in time or anything like that.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
My fz-09 locks the rear if you put moderate pressure on it. Fun for skids but makes it sort of hard to modulate for brake use. I don't really need it for anything but skids anyway though that's why I got it.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Voltage posted:

I don't even understand how you can use the rear for more than 15-25% of braking. Just did the pads on the rear of my Tuono since the PO must have mainly used them, but they are still just useless. Kinda fun locking up the rear when roll up to a stop light sometimes, but otherwise every bike I have owned the rear is just a supplement to the front. Although the engine braking on my twin is insane, so I guess I could see how the PO did just that with the rear...

I mean the Tuono is pretty special in that the lines and cylinder is so close to the engine that it roasts the fluid anyway so the rear brake has a dead feeling almost immediately regardless of how often you change it. I pretty much only use it as a hill assist now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Razzled posted:

I mean the Tuono is pretty special in that the lines and cylinder is so close to the engine that it roasts the fluid anyway so the rear brake has a dead feeling almost immediately regardless of how often you change it. I pretty much only use it as a hill assist now

Oh hey, at least yours loving works. I'd should probably go with the RSV4 vertical setup before I end up needing it.