Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Ras Het posted:

I think it's in a sense too charitable to talk about "gibberish" or even "nonsense verse" when what you're talking about is 1) puns on existing English words 2) descriptive made-up words like onomatopoeia

Like, "uffish", "beamish" and "chortle" are evocative in the same way that existing words like "mellifluous" are - I don't think most people could define what "mellifluous" means, yet it's connotations are self evident

And the flipside of that is that you cannot write actual, literal gibberish which also somehow conveys meaning. Language doesn't work like that, you need the arbitrary sign upon which to hang the non-arbitrary sign

Also I'm pretty sure "chortle" is a real word, unless this is one of those weird life moments where I'm the only one on the planet who thinks something.

But I agree very much with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

mdemone posted:

Also I'm pretty sure "chortle" is a real word, unless this is one of those weird life moments where I'm the only one on the planet who thinks something.

But I agree very much with you.

isn't chortle like snark in that it was invented by caroll

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Fairly certain that yeah, Carroll invented chortle, gyre, burbled, and also portmanteau as it refers to shoving two words together. among others.

e: i think I've even seen galumph in normal usage, though it's less common.

Mover fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 13, 2016

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

I heard otherwise.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
If you want a good book that tackles 9/11 read The Submission by Amy Waldman

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I love 9/11

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If you want a good book that tackles 9/11 read The Submission by Amy Waldman

the 9/11 commission report: the graphic novel might be more your speed.

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
Eating Animals is a good book, I know it's not fiction but yes it is actually good.

Go vegan

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

the_homemaster posted:

Eating Animals is a good book, I know it's not fiction but yes it is actually good.

Go vegan

none of your opinions are good

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

the_homemaster posted:

Go vegan

I'd much rather listen to a crust punk band tell me about veganism, instead of the lamest american in the world

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

A human heart posted:

I'd much rather listen to a crust punk band tell me about veganism, instead of the lamest american in the world

So Ultramantis Black?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chxqXhDY5fY

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Mover posted:

Fairly certain that yeah, Carroll invented chortle, gyre, burbled, and also portmanteau as it refers to shoving two words together. among others.

I'm sure portmanteau is before Carroll, but I'm probably wrong, but he was really into medieval literature (b cos he was cool) and that's where gyre's from. And indeed the entire idea behind the poem.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I was also an autistic child on 9/11 so it touched me in that way

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTAhSJt_8x8

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015

End Of Worlds posted:

none of your opinions are good

What if

My opinions are the good ones

And all yours are bad?

2016, the year anti semitimisn became OK

Also, anyone read the whole man booker Shortlist yet?

the_homemaster fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 14, 2016

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Are you saying the only reason anyone could dislike Foer is ingrained anti-semitism?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

the_homemaster posted:

What if

And all yours are bad?

are you having a stroke mate

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
So many questions, not enough answers.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Mr. Squishy posted:

Are you saying the only reason anyone could dislike Foer is ingrained anti-semitism?

Sammy Davis Junior Junior oh wait Sammy Davis Junior was Jewish maybe I should rename my dog

hog fat
Aug 31, 2016
my radical adherence to stoicism demands I be a raging islamophobic asshole. perhaps ten more days on twitter will teach me the errors of my ways

Mr. Squishy posted:

maybe not the only reason, but the best :shobon:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Smoking Crow posted:

isn't chortle like snark in that it was invented by caroll

Mover posted:

Well, poo poo goddamn. I guess there's no reason to be surprised at that, really.

I've certainly used "galumphed" in conversation and everyone got it. But I didn't know he invented "snark"…is that one true?

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Anyone here read Gyula Krudy? He's a Hungarian writer and pretty weird. For instance, I am reading The Adventures of Sinbad and in the second story Sinbad has a dream he is a King, wakes up and goes to find an ex-lover who turned out to have been watching him since they were apart, then he dies and becomes a piece of mistletoe hanging in the room of another ex-lover.

Anyway, it's pretty rad.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

mdemone posted:

Well, poo poo goddamn. I guess there's no reason to be surprised at that, really.

I've certainly used "galumphed" in conversation and everyone got it. But I didn't know he invented "snark"…is that one true?

The titular Snark from the Hunting of the Snark was him, but it's not like the other words in that it didn't catch on until much later and it's current meaning is not really there in the original.

Nostos
Nov 2, 2012
I just finished correction by bernhard and it's probably my favorite book that i've read by him so far. I want to read some of his plays but I'm not sure what to start with, Heldenplatz maybe? That one pissed off a bunch of austrians so it's probably pretty good.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

That the one where a nazi-rally is going on offstage and nobody mentions it?

Nostos
Nov 2, 2012
Yeah, I think so.
I ended up getting the Voice Imitator which is a bunch of short anecdotes. it's cool cause it has all the standard Bernhard black humor and themes (suicide, madness, political corruption, Austria sucks) distilled into a really short format. Overall i think his novels work better, but i'd recommend it to someone who hasn't read bernhard before and doesn't want to start with a 200 page paragraphless novel.

Hotel Waldhaus posted:

We had no luck with the weather and the guests at our table were repellent in every respect. They even spoiled Nietzsche for us. Even after they had had a fatal car accident and had been laid out in the church in Sils, we still hated them.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
If u don't want to read a 200 page paragraphless novel where someone continually talks poo poo u shouldn't be reading books at all

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Carlos Fuentes once wrote a novel that ended with the last man and woman on earth loving each other until they became a divine hermaphrodite and ascended to heaven

what's the name?

i need to stop buying books i have a big al mccoy one and snow and nobodaddy's children and i just bought pale fire and ada from the used bookstore like two days apart

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

what's the name?

if I told you, it wouldn't be a surprise when you got to the ending!

Terra Nostra

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

if I told you, it wouldn't be a surprise when you got to the ending!

Terra Nostra

I remember thinking that would hit so many buttons for me and then i read various posts complaining about it and didn't buy it but clearly i should have not been a bitch and taken the plunge

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

based on which posters like and which posters hate it, I am going to read The Nix and probably like it a lot

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
Yeah it sounds like my life so I'll probably hate it and love it in equal measures.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I just read the first 10 pages of that on amazon and it is extremely bad, like all popular American 'literature'.

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
Only books written by POC and/or other minorities are any good, amirite?

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

the_homemaster posted:

is your assumption here that only white americans write american fiction or are you just incapable of parsing sentences

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

spotted the problem.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

the_homemaster posted:

I hate tumblr more...and I like catch 22 more.

the_homemaster posted:

I'm serious, that's exactly what it reminds me of. Lampooning intellectualism is too obvious, and reading between the lines it's quite clear he is satirising progressiveness.

the_homemaster posted:

Finally think I get Confederacy. It's sending up liberal progressives!

Ignatius reminds me of these two

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY1H1rZL53I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilCmywMin8I

You're right, very funny!

the_homemaster posted:

friend of the family

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

the_homemaster posted:

White males did everything, is there no end to their superiority?

the_homemaster posted:

What if

And all yours are bad?

the_homemaster posted:

Diverse fiction is bad

the_homemaster posted:

Are you making light of depression? Wow, triggered.

the_homemaster posted:

This guy is really cool

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

blue squares posted:

based on which posters like and which posters hate it, I am going to read The Nix and probably like it a lot

Don't read the nix. It's one of those books where the author attacks the internet and millennials without a real understanding of either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Gas