Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
A dragon never yields!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I don't think it's fair to pan Athena for various court breakdowns and moments of doubt when you consider (vague DD spoilers) her age, the absolutely horrific trauma she experienced from facing her past in DD, and fact she spent every waking moment of her teen years working to exonerate Simon before even facing her own trauma. People don't magically recover from PTSD just because they achieve one goal, plus she's still relatively a rookie, so Case 6-4 serves toprovide character growth where her best friend helps her to forge her own self-confidence in her abilities, a reoccurring theme in the series overall - when someone believes in you, you believe in yourself.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Did she break down in case 5-3?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0f7pfAd1_M&t=2654s

Also it's her second case

Terper fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Sep 18, 2016

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This game is definitely in the top 3, at least on par with JFA. I can't think of a single bad case in the game, and it's got some awesome characters as music, so it's A+ in my book.

Plus, they got Haruka Shimotsuki for the Song of Ceremony vocals. That's already a huge plus. :allears:

Lurdiak posted:

Oh yeah, while I'm talking about the game again, boy is the voice acting in this game garbo. Luckily we're not subjected to much of it, but other than A DRAGON NEVER YIELDS it was all really bad. Rayfa was the worst offender, she's supposed to be barely 14 but she straight up sounds 30.

AlphaKretin posted:

The VA's never been particularly good in the series apart from,
like, AA1's Objection clips, there's just a lot more of it here. At least Jamieson Price owns.

Rayfa sounds pretty normal to me, I don't know. I didn't mind the voice acting in SoJ, though admittedly there was little of it. At least it's not the Layton Vs. Wright voicework. Now that was sketchy as gently caress, outside of Team Layton, Storyteller, and Darklaw.

Speaking of LvW, did anyone else catch by the end of the game what "Labrelum" is an anagram for? :haw:

I forgot how loving terrifying that was. Widget in particular. :gonk: Poor Athena.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 18, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Pollyanna posted:

Speaking of LvW, did anyone else catch by the end of the game what "Labrelum" is an anagram for? :haw:

:stare:

Well, that's an unsettling implication.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Pollyanna posted:

This game is definitely in the top 3, at least on par with JFA. I can't think of a single bad case in the game, and it's about

You're the first person I've ever seen that ranks JFA so high.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

JFA has my favorite case in the entire series.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Agreed. Too bad about the rest of it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm guessing it's due to Turnabout Big Top and Moe the Clown :shepicide:.

JFA has one good case, one average case, and an absolute slog through the circus.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I like that everyone forgets about 2-1, even the anime.

Good for them.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Agreed. Too bad about the rest of it.

I think case 2 is pretty good and the intro case is fine too. It just has one case that's bad in a bunch of ways and drags on forever.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I don't think it's fair to pan Athena for various court breakdowns and moments of doubt when you consider (vague DD spoilers) her age, the absolutely horrific trauma she experienced from facing her past in DD, and fact she spent every waking moment of her teen years working to exonerate Simon before even facing her own trauma. People don't magically recover from PTSD just because they achieve one goal, plus she's still relatively a rookie, so Case 6-4 serves toprovide character growth where her best friend helps her to forge her own self-confidence in her abilities, a reoccurring theme in the series overall - when someone believes in you, you believe in yourself.

Episode 4 and DD 3 Means was one evil son of a bitch, though. That clown barely even counts as malicious. Also, the player has already chumped Nahyuta twice, and one of those times, Athena was assisting.

Honestly, her simply being emotionally fragile just isn't convincing. When Phoenix or Apollo falter, I can sympathise as a player because I am actually running out of avenues to explore, and am losing the case along with them. In case 4, Athena has multiple breakdowns because the audience and the prosecutor are mean, both of which are nothing new to her. She is a lawyer who doesn't do her job, defending a client who doesn't testify.

Maybe they should have given her more than one case or something.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
JFA is better than the first game, which easily made it top 3 prior to SoJ.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

But her trauma is specifically related to people in court being mean to her. Obviously being an attorney will be hard for her but it's what she felt was right.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Irony Be My Shield posted:

But her trauma is specifically related to people in court being mean to her. Obviously being an attorney will be hard for her but it's what she felt was right.

As a player who wants to play the actual game, I have to disagree with her assessment.

This isn't Depression Quest. You can't just prevent me from shouting "Objection!", damnit. :argh:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

derra posted:

JFA is better than the first game, which easily made it top 3 prior to SoJ.

I don't think anything's better than the first game.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Waffleman_ posted:

I like that everyone forgets about 2-1, even the anime.

Good for them.

Even Phoenix forgot about 2-1. :v:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I don't remember 2-1. I'd look it up but eh.

Waffleman_ posted:

Well, I rank it high cause everyone else seems to have a boner for it. I put JFA up there so others would be like "oh hey that must mean it's really good". I personally only really like JFA's last case, AJ and DD are the other two tops for me.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

What's wrong with Bucky? The only thing about him that annoyed me was that he came to court drunk. That's not helping your case, man.

Also, the subtle pun of the soba chef becoming sober made me groan when I realized it

And More posted:

That's his entire character, though. He's some drunk idiot who is so bad at holding his liquor that he can't even testify.

Yeah I was being harsh when I said gently caress him, he's just annoying, but his too drunk to take the stand thing is the worst part about him because that means he never gets anything else going for him so there is nothing there to make me care for him besides being serious about inheriting the noodle shop which is bad since I'm defending the guy.

Also that pun is definitely great.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

e: fff

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I cared because Blackquill would lose his precious noodle stand.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I cared because Blackquill would lose his precious noodle stand.

He can go to Eldoon's like the rest of us!

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Waffleman_ posted:

He can go to Eldoon's like the rest of us!

A true weeb never yields (his soba shop)

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Case 5 Trial 1 Just melted the Founder's Orb and Phoenix is still saying it's not true because Apollo isn't magic. I would be annoyed if this were any other character, but this is exactly in Phoenix's character to do. This case is real good so far.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
2-3 is the worst in the series but I don't think it deserves all the vitriol it gets. Moe is far less annoying than I remember and it had one of my favourite resolutions

2-3 The ending didn't involve you catching the cartoon villain doing something cartoonishly villainous. Acro was a decent person who had enough of someone unknowingly shirking their responsibility for him and his brother's life changing injuries. And he ended up killing the only person other than his brother who ever cared about him. It was unsatisfying in a good way.

On the other hand, gently caress that ventriloquist guy.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

wtf part of the chair in case 5 am I supposed to be examining

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I dunno man. The game obviously wants you to think of Acro as a tragic individual instead of a villain, but he wanted to murder a 15 year old girl for basically no reason and then tried to frame someone else when his incredibly stupid plan went wrong. He's a sack of poo poo.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Cake Attack posted:

wtf part of the chair in case 5 am I supposed to be examining

One of the chair legs has got blood under it. I didn't spot it at first either. I figured that was just my colour blindness.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

And More posted:

One of the chair legs has got blood under it. I didn't spot it at first either. I figured that was just my colour blindness.

lol I'm color blind too so maybe

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

I dunno man. The game obviously wants you to think of Acro as a tragic individual instead of a villain, but he wanted to murder a 15 year old girl for basically no reason and then tried to frame someone else when his incredibly stupid plan went wrong. He's a sack of poo poo.

The 15 year old girl crippled him for life and put his brother in a coma with no guarantee of waking up with absolutely no repercussions or knowledge that she had done anything wrong.

What he wanted to do was hosed up but that isn't "basically no reason", as far as motives go in this series that one actually makes a huge amount of sense.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

lol I'm color blind too so maybe

Same :( I just waved the pointer over the chair until the check-mark turned back into a circle.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

beat the game. good game and i liked lots of the character stuff, but the cases were middle of the road. didn't really get that classic "oh poo poo" feeling of having everything turned over in a case except for one thing in case 5. also case 4 was pointless and not very good.

case 2 was actually a very solid case 2 as well, but i don't really judge AA games by their case 2

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I'm nearing the end of case 5 (i think, anyway) and I think I can say this case is dumb. sorry folks, but the game is bad. Case 2 and especially case 3 were really good but a broken watch is only right twice a day. Ace Attorney is dead. Unless somehow the ending of the case redeems all the dumb stuff that's happened so far, but we will see.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I JUST finished the game and am now catching up with the thread, but I had to post some impressions while everything is still fresh.

In summation HOLY poo poo. Definitely a contender for best game in the series.

My initial impression of Case 3 was not favorable. After the first day I felt really sour about the whole experience. Getting jerked around by Datz for FOUR(!) testimonies just felt like the game wasting my time. Datz is much more likeable when he's not on the witness stand. I ended up liking him a lot at the end, but drat I did not like the guy at all in the trial!

Saw a lot of folks didn't like the 4th case. I really liked it. A lot. Definitely the case that had me laughing the most. I had a blast with it from start to finish. I was happy to get to play as Athena for one case, at least. And I was DOUBLY happy to have her buddy Blackquil on the Defender's bench with her, helping her out. Blackquil hamming it up, banging on his desk and laughing, and being the massive weeb that he is was just beautiful. He was the highlight of the case. But then Blackquil is my favorite prosecutor other than Edgeworth. I also liked how Athena correctly identified Ueno's "issue." Dissociative identity disorder, not schizophrenia or "split-personality" disorder, as it is often identified in Hollywood. All in all, I was amazed with the job the localization team did on the case. It's seriously gently caress You, Localization Team! the case, and they just knocked it out of the park!

Case 5 impressions/spoilers:

Holy poo poo, Dhurke! I loved Dhurke! He's a contender for Best Video Game Dad ever. He's great and I loved every scene he was in! I nicknamed him Dragon Dad. Dragon Dad best dad. :3: The reveal with him day 2 was seriously a punch in the gut. RIP Dragon Dad. You were too awesome for this world.

And let's not forget day 1 of that case where you face off against the man himself! That was seriously awesome and as soon as I realized that was what was going down I started squealing like an idiot. Oh and Sarge was also great.

Also I was really happy that Apollo was center stage for pretty much the whole case, right up to the end, instead of being sidelined by Phoenix like in Dual Destinies. Having Phoenix in the assistant role was just perfect.

Really, the whole game was great, wow. What a ride. I feel sort of stunned.

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 19, 2016

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

mabels big day posted:

I'm nearing the end of case 5 (i think, anyway) and I think I can say this case is dumb. sorry folks, but the game is bad. Case 2 and especially case 3 were really good but a broken watch is only right twice a day. Ace Attorney is dead. Unless somehow the ending of the case redeems all the dumb stuff that's happened so far, but we will see.
Where are you?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Nahyuta is "confessing" his crime of killing Igna, and I think the way he has been handled this case has been dumb as hell. Sure, he's being manipulated to go along with the queen, but jesus, it's so dumb how comically evil Ga'ran is. She looks like an anime version of the witch from Snow White. One of her royal guards shot Amara right in the courtroom as she was about to name her as the murderer. I don't think this case is awful but it's definitely dumb. I'll have more to say when I'm finished, but that's where I am right now. I'm sure there's still some crazy stuff on the horizon when we get into the assassination attempt and Jove Justice, but for now it's all really dumb. I'm saying dumb a lot because it's the best word to describe it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I enjoy the dumb.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

mabels big day posted:

Nahyuta is "confessing" his crime of killing Igna, and I think the way he has been handled this case has been dumb as hell. Sure, he's being manipulated to go along with the queen, but jesus, it's so dumb how comically evil Ga'ran is. She looks like an anime version of the witch from Snow White. One of her royal guards shot Amara right in the courtroom as she was about to name her as the murderer. I don't think this case is awful but it's definitely dumb. I'll have more to say when I'm finished, but that's where I am right now. I'm sure there's still some crazy stuff on the horizon when we get into the assassination attempt and Jove Justice, but for now it's all really dumb. I'm saying dumb a lot because it's the best word to describe it.

All of this is cool as heck!!!!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

All of this is cool as heck!!!!

It's not awful, and I don't completely hate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Gigi D.G. sockpuppet spotted.