Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

spankmeister posted:

Sous vide then finish on the grill. (But you probably don't have an SV circulator)

Beer cooler sous vide works just fine for sausages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Shooting Blanks posted:

Those look about $30 more to me.

haha, I'm a loving idiot. They are $30 more. I reckon they still might be worth the extra dough if they do what they say they do?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm cooking for friends so I want to do as much prep in advance as possible. Can you bread meat for frying a few hours beforehand and keep it in the fridge without the breading getting all weird? I'm using flour -> egg -> panko for tonkatsu here.

Should be fine.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

chaos rhames posted:

Should be fine.

Yeah, I do it all the time. Just wrap up the meat in clingfilm before you put it in the fridge.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm cooking for friends so I want to do as much prep in advance as possible. Can you bread meat for frying a few hours beforehand and keep it in the fridge without the breading getting all weird? I'm using flour -> egg -> panko for tonkatsu here.

It might even be better that way in fact.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Grand Fromage posted:

Resting the meat after breading it generally improves the crust so this is a good idea anyway.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It worked fine, thanks goonz. Izakaya night was a success.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Resting the meat after breading it generally improves the crust so this is a good idea anyway.

I think the fully dampened crusts that I've had from letting breaded meat sit for an hour fried up better, but I'm curious if anyone knows why? I only have guesses.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Steve Yun posted:

I think the fully dampened crusts that I've had from letting breaded meat sit for an hour fried up better, but I'm curious if anyone knows why? I only have guesses.

I don't know the exact reason but I would assume it's for similar reasons as why when you bake bread in a damp environment the crust develops better.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I was setting up a batch of eggnog to rest until the holidays and I ended up with leftover eggs with sugar beaten into them. Any suggestions what to do with this? My first thought was a quick batch of egg nog good to drink right away but I don't feel like buying milk. Should I make some sort of sweetened egg noodles? Any ideas?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Sextro posted:

I was setting up a batch of eggnog to rest until the holidays and I ended up with leftover eggs with sugar beaten into them. Any suggestions what to do with this? My first thought was a quick batch of egg nog good to drink right away but I don't feel like buying milk. Should I make some sort of sweetened egg noodles? Any ideas?

Add peanut butter. Make peanut butter cookies.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I don't know the exact reason but I would assume it's for similar reasons as why when you bake bread in a damp environment the crust develops better.

I'm going to go with vapor bubbles, I can't explain why because I'm not smart. I once saw an article saying that vodka in a fried chicken marinade makes for a crispier crust because of how quickly and energetically it evaporates, so... perhaps letting the breading get moist increases its evaporative surface area?

Oh, here's the article: http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/07/four-secrets-for-better-fried-chicken.html

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
My partner and I loving love SOMA chocolate (and if you're ever in Toronto, you should definitely try it out). In particular, they have this hazelnut chocolate spread called Majoun that's like Nutella but a thousand times better.

As a surprise, I'd like to make a chocolat hazelnut praline spread or something along those lines, basically like gianduja. Although I wouldn't mind something more on the hazelnut side than the chocolate side.

That's not a something I've ever seen mentioned on this thread, has anyone experimented with some nice recipes or shall I rely on Google?

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

How long is boiling frozen broccoli supposed to take? The instructions say you boil the water, then add the broccoli and wait until it returns to boiling again, and then cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes. I'm using about a pound of broccoli here, and it's been more than 15 minutes and it's not even close to returning to boil.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

UnfurledSails posted:

How long is boiling frozen broccoli supposed to take? The instructions say you boil the water, then add the broccoli and wait until it returns to boiling again, and then cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes. I'm using about a pound of broccoli here, and it's been more than 15 minutes and it's not even close to returning to boil.

I'm sure this is way too late but I usually just taste a piece every couple of minutes until they're tender enough for my liking. If you had the pot on high heat and it still hadn't returned to a boil after 15 minutes, sounds like something's off to me. Even if the water hasn't returned to a boil, the broccoli is still cooking in the hot-but-not-boiling water.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
These are chocolate tops, the best cookies in the entire world.

I'm from Baltimore and these were a staple of my childhood. They are universally found in kosher bakeries at least around here; some research suggests they might be Baltimore- or at least region-specific, so I don't know how widely known they are. I would like to duplicate them at home but I have no real idea what they are. (They are not Berger cookies, although those are also delicious.)

I think the cookie itself is some kind of butter cookie, although when I've found home recipes for butter cookies they've generally made thin, light wafers. It's nothing unusual, though, and I don't think it's shortbread. Is it a spritz cookie? I think it might be the same kind of cookie dough that you'd see covered in sprinkles; grocery store bakeries and Italian bakeries have the kinds I'm talking about too.

The chocolate I have no idea. These things are stored at room temperature, and it looks like it's piped on; it isn't hard, but it's firm and holds its shape.

Any thoughts on re-creating these? They are my favorite cookie anywhere. Googling them is like looking for Bigfoot.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I got some pineapples for cheap this morning and want to toss them on the grill along with some steak tips. Any tips for grilling them? Should I just cut and prep em normally and be done with it or do they really benefit from a few seasonings etc beforehand?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

guppy posted:

I'm from Baltimore and these were a staple of my childhood. They are universally found in kosher bakeries at least around here; some research suggests they might be Baltimore- or at least region-specific, so I don't know how widely known they are. I would like to duplicate them at home but I have no real idea what they are. (They are not Berger cookies, although those are also delicious.)

I think the cookie itself is some kind of butter cookie, although when I've found home recipes for butter cookies they've generally made thin, light wafers. It's nothing unusual, though, and I don't think it's shortbread. Is it a spritz cookie? I think it might be the same kind of cookie dough that you'd see covered in sprinkles; grocery store bakeries and Italian bakeries have the kinds I'm talking about too.

The chocolate I have no idea. These things are stored at room temperature, and it looks like it's piped on; it isn't hard, but it's firm and holds its shape.

Any thoughts on re-creating these? They are my favorite cookie anywhere. Googling them is like looking for Bigfoot.

Would this be of any help?

Edit: also found this recipe from King Arthur Flour.

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 17, 2016

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

guppy posted:

I've never had them, but from your description, the chocolate topping is probably just ganache. It's pretty easy to make, it's just chocolate melted into heavy cream. Though there are come gotchas involved, like if you let it get too cold it will set too hard and gets hard to work with. This webpage explains it well: http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-ganache-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-41099

For the biscuit, spritz cookies sounds like it's worth a try. I dunno if it will be exactly like the cookie you describe, but it sounds like it would be nice anyways.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Canuck-Errant posted:

This Berger cookie recipe is legit as gently caress, btw. If you make it, you're going to think "wow this is an absurd amount of fudge. There is no way all of that should go on the cookies." It should. The base of a Berger cookie is just a fudge delivery system.

They're not technically those chocolate-topped cookies, OP, but I think they are. Just make the chocolate topping a little thinner and you've got it. That recipe makes slightly softer cookies than the cookie-part of a Berger cookie anyway.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

That Works posted:

I got some pineapples for cheap this morning and want to toss them on the grill along with some steak tips. Any tips for grilling them? Should I just cut and prep em normally and be done with it or do they really benefit from a few seasonings etc beforehand?

Apply BBQ sauce liberally

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Bob Morales posted:

Apply BBQ sauce liberally

Too late!

I put some ras al hanout on half of em and grilled the rest plain. Ended up being great either way. Will try BBQ sauce next time I think.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
I've used a cardboard box smoker for making pulled pork before (hot plate, skillet with wood chips, dowel rods and cooling rack to hold the meat).

It worked well enough.

Is there any reason why this can't be done more simply by putting the hotplate/skillet in the bottom of a weber grill? Because I'm going to do that tomorrow unless there's some weird thing with heat or whatever.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

FaradayCage posted:

I've used a cardboard box smoker for making pulled pork before (hot plate, skillet with wood chips, dowel rods and cooling rack to hold the meat).

It worked well enough.

Is there any reason why this can't be done more simply by putting the hotplate/skillet in the bottom of a weber grill? Because I'm going to do that tomorrow unless there's some weird thing with heat or whatever.

Instead of the hot plate just coals on one side of the grill and the meat on the other and don't give it much air. Put the wood chips in the coals as desired.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

FaradayCage posted:

It worked well enough.

I was going to say that doing smoking with charcoal is a lot more finicky, but then I re-read your question a little closer. Yeah, you could put the hotplate in the bottom of your grill and run the power cord out one of the vent holes. I could maybe see a problem with the whole grill getting warm enough to melt the insulation on the power cord where it touched, but I don't know at what temp the plastic would melt, and the whole thing should be under 200 for smoking, right?

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

CzarChasm posted:

I was going to say that doing smoking with charcoal is a lot more finicky, but then I re-read your question a little closer. Yeah, you could put the hotplate in the bottom of your grill and run the power cord out one of the vent holes. I could maybe see a problem with the whole grill getting warm enough to melt the insulation on the power cord where it touched, but I don't know at what temp the plastic would melt, and the whole thing should be under 200 for smoking, right?

Yep, I doubt I could get it much higher even if I tried.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I bought this stuff at a Chinese supermarket because it was really cheap. Any thoughts on what I might do with it apart from just eating it straight up?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I bought this stuff at a Chinese supermarket because it was really cheap. Any thoughts on what I might do with it apart from just eating it straight up?

Bakut Kuah Sayur Asin
http://www.veroathome.com/bakut-sayur-asin/

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Canuck-Errant posted:

Gerblyn posted:

I've never had them, but from your description, the chocolate topping is probably just ganache. It's pretty easy to make, it's just chocolate melted into heavy cream. Though there are come gotchas involved, like if you let it get too cold it will set too hard and gets hard to work with. This webpage explains it well: http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-ganache-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-41099

For the biscuit, spritz cookies sounds like it's worth a try. I dunno if it will be exactly like the cookie you describe, but it sounds like it would be nice anyways.

defectivemonkey posted:

This Berger cookie recipe is legit as gently caress, btw. If you make it, you're going to think "wow this is an absurd amount of fudge. There is no way all of that should go on the cookies." It should. The base of a Berger cookie is just a fudge delivery system.

They're not technically those chocolate-topped cookies, OP, but I think they are. Just make the chocolate topping a little thinner and you've got it. That recipe makes slightly softer cookies than the cookie-part of a Berger cookie anyway.

Thanks y'all. I did find both those links, but I didn't think they were right; sounds like it's worth a shot at least.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

This is good but my favorite is diced then simmered with a white fish.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Rurutia posted:

This is good but my favorite is diced then simmered with a white fish.
Thanks for the suggestions! I definitely should have mentioned I'm vegan, though, so pork and fish dishes are a no-go.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Just got a new job about two weeks ago, very happy with it. Except the break room. I have to kind of fight for a spot in the tiny fridge, and when I do, my lunch bag is inevitably soaked when I go and get it. Whether the fridge is busted or someone is subtly telling me that my lunch is not welcome there, I couldn't guess.

So I was wondering about lunches that don't need to be refrigerated or can sit with an ice pack on my desk. If they don't need to be microwaved either, it's a bonus. I'm looking for ideas beyond a rainbow of sandwiches, though I do love those as well.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Cold noodles would work fine if you can't guarantee a spot in the refrigerator. Zaru soba will keep just fine in a container at your desk, just toss in some dashi mixed with soy sauce and you're ready to go. If you want to add meat and sauce to the noodles, you could probably park a small dish of that in the refrigerator and leave the cooked noodles at your workspace. Alternately you can keep retort-packed things like tuna or Tasty Bite or equivalent Indian dishes that don't need refrigeration.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I doubt anything is going to go bad in the 4 hours between work starting and lunch time, tbh. As long as you work in a normal temperature. This is probably "unsafe" advice but I've eaten stuff left out overnight countless times and never had a problem

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I got a big orange kabocha squash, what's the best way to roast a large one for soup? It looks like a short medium-sized carving pumkin. And just as an estimate, how many servings of soup does one large squash typically yield? I was going to add some parsnips (maybe a pound) in there too.

Alternatively to roasting, can squash be pressure cooker caramelized like carrots or sweet potatoes? Or does it not work as well on squash.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Eeyo posted:

I got a big orange kabocha squash, what's the best way to roast a large one for soup? It looks like a short medium-sized carving pumkin. And just as an estimate, how many servings of soup does one large squash typically yield? I was going to add some parsnips (maybe a pound) in there too.

Alternatively to roasting, can squash be pressure cooker caramelized like carrots or sweet potatoes? Or does it not work as well on squash.

It doesn't carmelize well but if you want to quarter it up and scoop the seeds out then put it on a sheet and bake the quartered slices at 450F for 45 min or so until it starts to crisp up then toss that in the pressure cooker and it should be good. Sautee / carmelize up some onions in the pressure cooker before throwing everything else in to add in some extra maillard dependent flavor.

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo
Where I'm at, it's hard to find flat a bottomed carbon steel wok to use on my glass cooktop unless I'm willing to pay ridiculous sums to ship a Joyce Chen one from the US. Bought this wok for like $5 on impulse when I stumbled across it at a supermarket.

Help me identify the material this wok is made of and what I should do before cooking food on the wok.

I read this Chowhound post and it seems that my case is similar to it: http://www.chowhound.com/post/black-flakes-brand-wok-747881?page=2

From that Chowhound link, my best guess is that the black on the wok is some kind of protective coating to keep the steel from rusting?

Imgur album for larger pics

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
99% sure it's carbon steel.

Put it on a hot fire. If the black stuff disappears (doesn't melt off, doesn't peel off, doesn't fall off, just turns into smoke) and the wok turns gray, then turns rainbowish colors, then it's carbon steel.

If the black doesn't come off or if it peels off, then congratulations, you've ruined a $5 teflon wok.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
I've got some whole short ribs, like the cryovac pac I picked up at the local asian mart. What should I do with them? Have a big party is the right answer I know, but I'm looking mostly for meal prep ideas. My first thought would just be roast em whole, shred the meat and then use the bones to make some stock/sauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

guppy posted:

Thanks y'all. I did find both those links, but I didn't think they were right; sounds like it's worth a shot at least.

I remembered that they have some almond taste and re-searched and found this: http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/dining/bs-fo-recipe-finder-silbers-cookies-20160301-story.html. I think that's it!