Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Colonel Squish posted:

If any goons have the Pokemon Go Plus I'd be interested in hearing any thoughts/first impressions. If I'm going to pick it up, I'll want to know that it effectively tracks distance and picks up on nearby Stops at the same time the actual app would.

I go on runs a ton and it's nice to have the plus to run and not be forced to have your phone on all the time. I can have the phone locked and in my pocket (listening to music) and not have to worry about accident button presses and the likes. I also know where all the stops are around my area, so it's a nice way to be able to load up on balls without have to do much effort. As others will say, you get a lot of breakouts/runs with the pokemon go plus, but I didn't really buy the device to catch pokemon, just as an easier way to run off eggs and get buddy candy. If this is what you'd like to do, then It's a good device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
For Plus users who bike, is it tracking better at normal speeds? My crusing speed is about 12 mph and with vanilla go, I get almost no distance added. I have crawl along and around 8 miles to get *most* of my distance tracked, and gently caress that noise.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

LumpyGumby posted:

Hatched another poliwag to get Poliwrath!

Mud slap and submission. :negative:

:(

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Divine Styler posted:

Re: Gyms and placing lower CP trainable mon. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the big deal. I look for gyms that are 5+, and train them up to 7, then drop my highest CP defender available, so it stays there as long as possible. When I do run into a gym with a good mon I can quickly level up via winning with a lower CP mon, I always train it up to 7, so the next trainers that come along can quickly drop in a Pokemon, and level it up. Throughout my day I'll sometimes even drop by just to train it up a bit more, so it can eventually reach level 10. I don't live downtown of a major city, but it's a petty densely populated metro, so there's plenty of gyms and trainers all over. Using this strategy I generally have no less than 4 mon in a gym when I cash my daily coins. I've got a couple mons that have sat toward the top of a couple level 10 gyms for at-least a week now. And these aren't even Dragonites or Lapras I'm dropping in there. Mostly high CP Vaporeon, Arcanine, Eggexcuttor and my 2 level 20 Snorlax.

My issue with training against low level stuff is that I have to scroll way down on my list to find a good match against it. However, if you put in a 1500+ CP pokemon, I can find a good match against it within seconds. Additionally, lower level fights can be more volatile, as pokemon have less HP and can die in a few moves -- especially if you're trying to fight something twice your CP. If you mess up dodging or the timing of moves plays out weird with breakpoints, you can easily lose. And if I lose, I have to scroll way down on my list again and play "Where's Waldo?" and it's the most boring poo poo ever.

Keep in mind that I'm always swimming in potions because I only try to take/hold about 3 gyms a day. I don't need pokecoins as much as most people because I just buy them. Maybe that makes me and my perspective the exception.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
If the bottom poke in a gym is less than ~500CP I'll just run over it with whatever I'm using against the next poke up. Quite often it means I start the second fight with my meter already charged.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

Dahbadu posted:

My issue with training against low level stuff is that I have to scroll way down on my list to find a good match against it. However, if you put in a 1500+ CP pokemon, I can find a good match against it within seconds. Additionally, lower level fights can be more volatile, as pokemon have less HP and can die in a few moves -- especially if you're trying to fight something twice your CP. If you mess up dodging or the timing of moves plays out weird with breakpoints, you can easily lose. And if I lose, I have to scroll way down on my list again and play "Where's Waldo?" and it's the most boring poo poo ever.

Keep in mind that I'm always swimming in potions because I only try to take/hold about 3 gyms a day. I don't need pokecoins as much as most people because I just buy them. Maybe that makes me and my perspective the exception.

same everything here but buying coins ever. yea i probably have a staru or something to gently caress up that 560 growlithe but god drat if anyone wants to do that

Julio Cruz posted:

If the bottom poke in a gym is less than ~500CP I'll just run over it with whatever I'm using against the next poke up. Quite often it means I start the second fight with my meter already charged.

this is also good if the types line up correctly

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I've got like 25 Raticates from Lucky Egg sprees that I never tossed away. They're ideal for <1000 CP training, since the types that they struggle with are not common.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
So now that you can walk off eggs with your screen off and paired with a wrist device, is the stupid app going to let your walk them off without pairing?

Cuz gently caress that noise if not.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Fire fang fire blast is arcanine's best set though. Also you got spark and thunder on raichu.

Yeah I hosed up, I meant to say flamethrower.

I kind of prefer two bar special moves though because you keep accumulating energy even if you wait for the defender to use its special before using yours.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
So is there a guide to walking pokemons or do I just use pikachu/other guys I've only ever found once and have no hope of evolving normally?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Waltzing Along posted:

So now that you can walk off eggs with your screen off and paired with a wrist device, is the stupid app going to let your walk them off without pairing?

Cuz gently caress that noise if not.
No, of course the background app immediately kills itself if it loses connection. Or if Android just decides it wants the resources back. Thankfully in many cases it reconnects easily with one click in the app and one on the Plus. Other times it just fucks up and I have to dick around to get it to pair again.

Of course you don't have to use the bracelet battery cover, the default clip cover also has a strap hole so you could even set it up like a phone charm if you got some string. I've lost connection at times with both phone and Plus in arm's reach though, and the only sure way to know it didn't shut off if it hasn't pinged lately is turning your phone on for a moment to check.

Still I've had more luck walking with the Plus than without it.

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 18, 2016

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

mastershakeman posted:

So is there a guide to walking pokemons or do I just use pikachu/other guys I've only ever found once and have no hope of evolving normally?

The latter is what I'm doing. I live an area where Geodude, Machop and Sandshrew seem to be completely random (and thus very rare) spawns, so I've had more luck getting them by hatching eggs.
If you really have no clue go for Dratini since you need 125 candies for a Dragonite and once you have a decent one you definitely want to keep powering it up.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 18, 2016

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
My Plus showed up today, so I kept it on while driving to pick up lunch (about a half hour each way). While more than half of what it saw got away, it did blink yellow at one point and I caught it, turned out to be a Raichu. The journal doesn't go far enough back to see everything it caught/missed, but it does seem like it caught some decently high level stuff (though mostly bugs n' birds).

The Pokestop detection is pretty good, I only had two where it went out of range between blinking blue and hitting the button, and those are ones that I know are a little bit off the road. It did miss a couple, not sure if it was from going too fast or something else. It also missed one or two because there was a Pokemon there at the same time, and that takes priority. By the time the catch was done, I was out of range.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

They really should have just made the buddy system 1km per candy for every pokemon, this is ridiculous. http://kotaku.com/the-heroic-lengths-you-have-to-walk-to-evolve-buddy-pok-1786714360

Mierenneuker posted:

Sentret = Rattata
Hoothoot = Pidgey
Ledyba & Spinarak = Weedle & Caterpie
I'm not entirely sure, those all have just two forms instead of three.

I imagine all the baby Pokemon will be quite common as well since there is no way to breed Pokemon.

They could always add breeding later.

Dahbadu posted:

I hold onto a bunch of starters with STAB quick moves as well as keeping some Pidgeottos with wing attack so I can select them from the menu quickly when I sort by pokedex number.

Pomplamoose fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 18, 2016

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

loving :lol: I've been level 22 for months because the game got lovely and I stopped playing. I decided since I was on a road trip I'd boot up the app and, after affirming to the game that I was indeed a passenger, pop an incense I'd been saving. Mostly to see if it would give me extra spawns since I was moving around.

It did. It spawned 29 Pokemon over half an hour and every single last one of them, every last one, broke free of the first ball and escaped. I'm not joking or exaggerating. All 29 of them, regardless of type or CP, no matter which ball I used or whether they got a Razz Berry. Here's proof:

This game is such irredeemable garbage. It's not even playable anymore.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

You were going too fast.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

No poo poo, I told it I was a passenger.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Mierenneuker posted:

The latter is what I'm doing. I live an area where Geodude, Machop and Sandshrew seem to be completely random (and thus very rare) spawns, so I've had more luck getting them by hatching eggs.
If you really have no clue go for Dratini since you need 125 candies for a Dragonite and once you have a decent one you definitely want to keep powering it up.

Isn't Dratini 1 candy per 5km? Because that's 625KM you'd need to walk.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

It doesn't matter that you pressed "okay". At high speeds the game will actively prevent you from catching Pokemon. It has always been like that, they added the warning message when the game had been out for a while because some people actually needed to be told you shouldn't Pokemon & drive.

Taear posted:

I made the comment under the assumption that you'd still occasionally catch a Dratini, so you'd be speeding up (nudging along?) a long process.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 18, 2016

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

thanks for attempting to enjoy BROKEMON NO by PISSANTIC, human

all purchases are final as described in the nonexistent documentation

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Mierenneuker posted:

It doesn't matter that you pressed "okay". At high speeds the game will actively prevent you from catching Pokemon. It has always been like that, they added the warning message when the game had been out for a while because some people actually needed to be told you shouldn't Pokemon & drive.

I am not driving. It has not always been like that, I've caught Pokemon as a passenger on the highway before. I mostly played at release.

You're offering an explanation but not an excuse. I can't play the game and my incense was wasted for no good reason. I haven't done anything wrong, they just made it so I couldn't play even though I pressed the button that said I wasn't the kind of person they were targeting. Dumb bad game.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Taear posted:

well I've walked 61km total at level 21 so going 11 times that far isn't too bad! plus I've never seen a dratini anyways

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

well I've walked 61km total at level 21 so going 11 times that far isn't too bad! plus I've never seen a dratini anyways

That's what I was getting at with my Cubone post. The buddy system seems to only be suitable for people who live in areas where certain pokemon you see once a week instead of once a decade.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Taear posted:

That's what I was getting at with my Cubone post. The buddy system seems to only be suitable for people who live in areas where certain pokemon you see once a week instead of once a decade.

I don't understand this complaint. This update makes it quicker and easier to evolve a new/rare pokemon for literally 100% of players. If you've never seen a Dratini it doesn't help you to get a Dragonite but that doesn't make it worthless, and anyway, besides a free always-guaranteed-to-be-a-Dratini egg there's not exactly anything Niantic can do in that situation.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

I don't understand this complaint. This update makes it quicker and easier to evolve a new/rare pokemon for literally 100% of players. If you've never seen a Dratini it doesn't help you to get a Dragonite but that doesn't make it worthless, and anyway, besides a free always-guaranteed-to-be-a-Dratini egg there's not exactly anything Niantic can do in that situation.

Of course they can. Make it so you don't have to move to San Franciso to actually see any pokemon.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Oh I thought you had a real complaint that wasn't ridiculous hyperbole, my mistake.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Julio Cruz posted:

You don't understand a lot it seems.

They could make it more likely to get rarer spawns the less frequent the spawns in the area, capping at maybe 90% of the city rares in rural areas - with less total pokemon.

Most of the frequent complaints in this thread not only have a solution, they have multiple solutions tested in dozens of games, and it's merely a matter of implementing them.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
And how are you defining "rarer"? Because, as has been seen throughout this thread, rarity rates are vastly different between different places. Global boosting of Drowzee spawn rate isn't going to help people who are already knee-deep in them.

And if that got put into the game, do you think that would stop people complaining? Every other post would be "they didn't fix the tracking system loving Niantic :jerkbag:"

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Julio Cruz posted:

And how are you defining "rarer"? Because, as has been seen throughout this thread, rarity rates are vastly different between different places. Global boosting of Drowzee spawn rate isn't going to help people who are already knee-deep in them.

And if that got put into the game, do you think that would stop people complaining? Every other post would be "they didn't fix the tracking system loving Niantic :jerkbag:"

Because people will complain anyway, why fix anything?

The 'mons have their own inbuilt rarity ratings. For example, Pidgey is a common and a Pikachu is a rare. The biome spawn rates are a separate adjustment, and they could just gently caress with the common/rare ratio based on the spawn rate, which is also a separate variable.

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!

Squeegy posted:

Squeegy posted:

I am not driving. It has not always been like that, I've caught Pokemon as a passenger on the highway before. I mostly played at release.

You're offering an explanation but not an excuse. I can't play the game and my incense was wasted for no good reason. I haven't done anything wrong, they just made it so I couldn't play even though I pressed the button that said I wasn't the kind of person they were targeting. Dumb bad game.

Pokemon GO is meant to be played on foot, not in a car. Niantic has no way of knowing that you are the passenger so the message is there to protect their company from legal trouble when people ignore the warning.

Do you think it's fair to catch 29 pokemon for free during a car ride, when I have to bust my rear end to run and maybe get 12 in the same time?

Eyochigan fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 18, 2016

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Oh look, another update that didn't make things even.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

You can still play while driving, just not at highway speeds. I've done a fair bit of two phone playing while riding shotgun on commutes and still caught a bunch of pokeymen, just at moderate speed.

I'm not sure what the cutoff is, you can be going fairly fast but at a certain point it's too fast to detect mons but you can still collect pokestops. Above that speed you can't do either.

E- and city driving is just unfair, it's just hitting stops one after another as fast as possible along some long stretches. Doing that plus catching pokes on two phones turns it into a pretty frantic game.

Snowy fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 18, 2016

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

they could easily 'lure' you if you were far enough away from any spawn point. poo poo they could even use the biome your in to determine what to spawn.

that would at least make it fair to people that live in swamps and cornfields, or give me a reason to play in a state park

not my biggest complaint tho. I want there to be more to do with poke outside of shitbroken gym battles

gentle pete
Feb 21, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

Squeegy posted:

It softbans you when you go above ~100 km/hr.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

no wait how loving big was all of the map in pokemon red or whatever? why do I have to get on a plane to find ducks.

how do they even expect actual children to "just drive an hour to a place with more fire types" like I have to. Jesus goddamn christ

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Incidentally, pushing the Plus button while driving hasn't softbanned me at all. But it also won't catch incense mons if I read right so that only half solves that guy's problem

Colonel Squish
Feb 18, 2012

Does swapping buddies reset the total distance walked with your bro or just the current distance-to-candy?

And thank you to CrashCat and 2DCat for responding about the Plus. Starting to lean towards wanting it, especially considering the vast majority of my play is long walks that tend to get a little dull without being able to do other poo poo with my phone (if I actually want tracked distance).

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
The thing I want the most in a possible feature is PvP, but the balance between incentive to battle versus exploiting the system will be a tricky one. I'm fine if all you ever get from PvP battles is personal enjoyment, but it'd be sad if it became an abandoned feature that no one wants to battle randos for. On the other hand, any small reward, even if it's just a totally for-boasting win-loss record, people will farm the poo poo out of PvP battles for it. Even if it's like 10 stardust per battle you better bet PvP's only use will become people dual-wielding devices to bubblestrat farm.

It'd be nice if rewards for PvP is strictly bound to number of unique players fought, but I don't see it happening.

Colonel Squish posted:

Does swapping buddies reset the total distance walked with your bro or just the current distance-to-candy?

I think people said it resets your current distance but not the overall number on top that records total distance walked.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Just the current distance. Evolving does reset the total distance though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Bacon Hat posted:

no wait how loving big was all of the map in pokemon red or whatever? why do I have to get on a plane to find ducks.

how do they even expect actual children to "just drive an hour to a place with more fire types" like I have to. Jesus goddamn christ

Isn't this all based on google maps? Does google maps still do the "walk [x] miles across the ocean" thing if you do one continent to one across an ocean? There you go. "Kids need to get out and walk around. ALL the way around."

Hrist fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 18, 2016

• Locked thread