Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

gen 2 starters bum me out, please stop including them on your lists please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
TOPIC SWITCH!

Favorite Route 1 Family Final Stage:

1- Pidgeot
2- Mightyena
3- Staraptor
4- Diggersby
5- Noctowl
6- Furret
7- Raticate
8- Talonflame
9- Watchog
10- Stoutland
11- Linoone
12- Bibarel

vvvv My bad, I'm really unfamiliar with the line since I only ever captured it and evolved it just for Dex completition. Linoone scored lower for having a very lazy design for a Pokemon based on a badger that ended up looking a lot like Furret, and Bibarel for it's design being bad and being in a fuckton of routes and killing my Chimchar repeteadly.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Sep 18, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

It's "Herdier", that's not even the final evolution, and gently caress you Stoutland owns. :colbert:

But I mean, make a sorting app and we'll talk. :v:

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Aerdan posted:

(I thought about leaving firechicken in F, but I hate it and meganium coequally, and chesnaught is just naught.)

With Greninja and Delphox you can tell that they planned the whole evolutionary family together and tried to show a clear thematic progression with each stage. With the Chesnaught family it seems like they started with Chespin then said "oh poo poo we have to evolve this guy, what are going to do?!"

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

With Greninja and Delphox you can tell that they planned the whole evolutionary family together and tried to show a clear thematic progression with each stage. With the Chesnaught family it seems like they started with Chespin then said "oh poo poo we have to evolve this guy, what are going to do?!"

The conversation then followed.
"Get this ok, we turn it into a BALL"
That's a little off but ok so what about his final evolution?
"Well about it, I was inspired by this old action figure I have. You see it has zero points of articulation and I thought that would be a great thing to impart to a pokemon."
"It's not but I'm already sick of this conversation. Do whatever you want."
"Wait, what about its hidden ability?"
"I DON'T CARE!"
"Let's make it immune to explosions."
"I still DON'T CARE! But we're not giving a grass type damp."
"And a few random other things."
"SEE PREVIOUS STATEMENTS!"

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

1. arnold schwarzenegger in commando
2. the wicked witch of the west
3. martha washington
4. spiderman
5. the next poster in this thread
6. bill gates
7. arnold schwarzenegger in terminator
8. the real terminator
9. golem from monster rancher
10. the statue of liberty
11. arnold schwarzenegger
12. :frog:
13. colorless green ideas sleeping furiously
14. your fairy godmother
15. the burger king
16. arnold schwarzenegger in the hobbit (he was just slightly off screen the entire time)
17. the taj mahal
18. donkey kong

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

The beauty of Pokémon is that yes, someone can and will insult your favorite Pokémon. Very passionately at that.

That is why I don't like posting about the monsters I like most, since they consistently result in people just throwing mud at them anyway, unless someone else brings them up. :v:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Rest assured that whatever you like, i hate it equally as much.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

Timmy, Johnny, and Spike

VGC champ Wolfe Glick is a textbook Johnny.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
meganium is adorable and is the best designed of the gen 2 starters even if it is garbage competitively also i named my blaziken KickinWing

The Great Burrito
Jan 21, 2008

Is that freedom rock? Well turn it up!

Elfgames posted:

meganium is adorable and is the best designed of the gen 2 starters even if it is garbage competitively also i named my blaziken KickinWing

I named mine Falco, then stuck it in the PC where it belongs. Haven't touched it in 10 years except to move it to new games because like gently caress if I'm going to evolve another one. <end rant>

So uh, any word on when another Pokemon Generations is out? Looker vs. Viridian Gym was amazing and hopefully sets the bar for the series. I'm the big lame who likes the Pokemon main game (and as such my non perfect Pokes who journeyed with me are far superior to Poke-Eugenics. I p much breed for ability/nature and call it good. If that.) So these little back stories are fun. I honestly want more stuff like HGSS or B2W2 where the storyline "advances". The fact that each new "rebooted" game is almost identical in structure (route 1 trash, Team _____, Box Legendaries) gets kind of old. I like the weird background stuff like hunting for the Regis, exploring places like Cinnabar Mansion or the P3 lab. Which was also a waste because you end up just getting (multiple) Genesects from the goddamn Pokemart via Mystery Gift. Bring back the Gen IV item locked legendary missions of you're going to keep them out of the main game. The Darkrai hotel mission in Platinum was really cool.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

I'd like to see more legendaries be tied into ingame events instead of sitting on an island somewhere waiting for you. Put them at the ends of fun sidequests involving them, make them feel like part of the world instead of just another prize to be collected.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Much as I love the big guy, agreed. I have no idea why they designed it as they did.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Geostomp posted:

Much as I love the big guy, agreed. I have no idea why they designed it as they did.

cute starter > football > football player

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Holy poo poo, got wonder traded a pikachu with the pokerus. I have never seen it before and I've been playing on and off since the original Blue. Busy infecting my whole team.

I picked Mudkip (AS) and I kind of wish I hadn't because there are water types coming out of everywhere now. I might have to adjust my usual method of 'stick HMs on main party pokemon because who cares' and start actually having HM slaves who get rotated in and out.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

HopperUK posted:

Holy poo poo, got wonder traded a pikachu with the pokerus. I have never seen it before and I've been playing on and off since the original Blue. Busy infecting my whole team.

I picked Mudkip (AS) and I kind of wish I hadn't because there are water types coming out of everywhere now. I might have to adjust my usual method of 'stick HMs on main party pokemon because who cares' and start actually having HM slaves who get rotated in and out.

Make sure you have it in the PC so it has pokerus forever and can spread to other pokemon whenever you want to.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

Make sure you have it in the PC so it has pokerus forever and can spread to other pokemon whenever you want to.

Have done! Thank you for the tip :)

I love the dexnav stuff. Sneaking up on skitties is hilarious when you think about it, more so than 'I was just walking and a pokemon jumped out at me'.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Cicadas! posted:

cute starter > football > football player

I will never be able to unsee this.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Lock this thread until the release of sun and moon.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

HopperUK posted:

Zigzagoon/Linoone is a good HM slave, can learn cut/strength/surf/rock smash, Tropius can do the same but replacing surf with fly if you need it (which you won't by endgame).

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Ka0 posted:

I have a question for chestnaught users: what's your moveset?

Chesnaught:

Adamant/Bold with Leftovers (Rocky Helmet if you're playing with Item Clause and someone else needs it more)

Drain Punch
Spiky Shield
Leech Seed
Seed Bomb/Bulk Up/Super Fang/Toxic

You can also sub in Zen Headbutt or Earthquake in the last slot if you really need to counter Gengar/Aegislash.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Geostomp posted:

Because they were going with an RPG theme for the starters. Fighter/Wizard/Rogue.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Captain Fargle posted:

Because they were going with an RPG theme for the starters. Fighter/Wizard/Rogue.

Yea, but they made it look more like a cross between a sloth and football player than a knight. Standing upright and replacing the white with green would do it a world of good to making it look more knight like. A Needle Arm lance would also be great.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I like um....pikachu

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
I like Pikachu and that's okay

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Pikachu needs to go on a thunderstone diet

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

Zigzagoon/Linoone is a good HM slave, can learn cut/strength/surf/rock smash, Tropius can do the same but replacing surf with fly if you need it (which you won't by endgame).

That's fantastic then, Clint the Zigzagoon is designated functionality pokemon. Cheers.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

HopperUK posted:

That's fantastic then, Clint the Zigzagoon is designated functionality pokemon. Cheers.

Sharpedo has a cool custom model for surfing on/diving with and moves faster to boot. It can also learn Waterfall, Rock Smash, and Strength.

He's basically your ORAS endgame best friend.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Cernunnos posted:

Sharpedo has a cool custom model for surfing on/diving with and moves faster to boot. It can also learn Waterfall, Rock Smash, and Strength.

I hear you but I need to surf on Wailmer for nostalgia reasons.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cernunnos posted:

Can't fish on a Sharpedo, so Kyogre is superior.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

The Great Burrito posted:

So uh, any word on when another Pokemon Generations is out? Looker vs. Viridian Gym was amazing and hopefully sets the bar for the series. I'm the big lame who likes the Pokemon main game (and as such my non perfect Pokes who journeyed with me are far superior to Poke-Eugenics. I p much breed for ability/nature and call it good. If that.) So these little back stories are fun. I honestly want more stuff like HGSS or B2W2 where the storyline "advances". The fact that each new "rebooted" game is almost identical in structure (route 1 trash, Team _____, Box Legendaries) gets kind of old. I like the weird background stuff like hunting for the Regis, exploring places like Cinnabar Mansion or the P3 lab. Which was also a waste because you end up just getting (multiple) Genesects from the goddamn Pokemart via Mystery Gift. Bring back the Gen IV item locked legendary missions of you're going to keep them out of the main game. The Darkrai hotel mission in Platinum was really cool.

I liked how it seems to be about "the world of pokemon" rather than "the adventures of Ash Ketchum". I liked the first one where they go through all the generations with Pikachu, but the way they showed it made it seem like Pikachu's life was non-stop battling and didn't really do anything to establish that Pikachu and Red were partners instead of Pikachu just doing Red's bidding. Where's the scene where Pikachu is falling and Red runs to catch him, huh?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I like that the Pikachu in Generations is more animalistic. The dudes in that series don't even say their names, and that's great.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
it's weird that the pikachu doesn't say it's name since the one in the games does now.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
The Sharpedo surf animation is cool, but my HoMies ended up being Doublade with Rock Smash/Cut and Relicanth with the water ones, plus Yawn, both of whom were wonder-traded to me.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Bongo Bill posted:

I like that the Pikachu in Generations is more animalistic. The dudes in that series don't even say their names, and that's great.

I dunno, the pikachu's squeaking sounded faintly like 'chu' to me. Which is fine, 'chu'-squeaks would be in character.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

chu is the onomatopoeia for mouse squeaks

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
yeah but animals don't like, say the onomatopoeias for their various sounds. dogs don't say "bao" when they bark

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

i've played video games and they definitely do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

an atomic dog can make many powerful sounds, including bark, woof, yip, bow, wow, yippe yo, yippe yea, grr, and ruff