Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Germstore posted:

sorry, but the following animes are exempt from goon scorn:

Dragon Ball
Dragon Ball Z
That Miyazaki one with the cat thing.
That Miyazaki one with the pig dude.
Neon Genesis Evangelion
The first half of Cowboy Bebop

You somehow left Castle of Cagliostro off that list idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Nathilus posted:

Tough poo poo, u wrong, it actually is canon. It's stuff from the original design docs.

nathilus please i just want my show to be about sad teenage japanese boys and jesus

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
There is nobody that is a fan of this show that cannot be categorized as a weeaboo loser. It's not good. It's has no intellectual depth. The characters are annoying and the narrative is trite at best. One could actually argue it makes one stupider for having wasted the time to view it.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

its also kind of an example of the trolling i mentioned when legions of nerds spent 15 loving years debating the symbolism and concepts and images and trying to figure out plots and subtexts and poo poo for what all the ADAM and LILITH an ANGELS stuff all means like coming up with massive super long loving PHd submissions for where third impact comes from and then they go and release a loving psp game that goes "Aliens did it" lol

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

nathilus please i just want my show to be about sad teenage japanese boys and jesus

The price of living an independent existence is that reality is not just whatever u want it 2 b. Apologies friend.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

ArbitraryC posted:

Tbh i always felt they fit well together. Back when i originally watched nge my friends told me to watch the series up to the last 2 eps, watch eoe, then watch the last 2 eps. I did that and thought it worked well because essentially they coverex the same thing but from a different perspective.

as an elitist prick i think you did little more than spoil the original vision for yourself, irrecoverably. :cheers:

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

the cruel fact is that the world of the giant robots is but a projection of the mind, and a mysterious room full of the people you love, cheering for you, is a truer representation of reality than mundane happenstance.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

also, there are few things i enjoy doing more than being snide about NGE.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Neurosis posted:

all that poo poo is superfluous crap to the core simple story about depression and self worth. it doesn't have to all be consistent or make perfect sense and understanding it won't add much to the core meaning so if you're analysing it for more than the fun of the mental exercise kill yourself

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

glowing-fish posted:

Your contempt for me, and the fact that I can't make myself understood by you, are just a sacrifice I make for the spiritual reward of living as a self amongst others.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

At the end when shinji separates everyone again do they all come back out of the goo or what.

Does his mom come out of the goo, too

Does seele come out of the goo like "aw gently caress"

Does the world have a collective emery of being in he goo

Does the whole world now know exactly how much a bitch shinji is

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 18, 2016

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

LegoPirateNinja posted:

Does his mom come out of the goo, too

Nope. His mom is going to float in space as a testament to Mankind's existence for all eternity.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
No, no one comes back except asuka. He kills everyone by interrupting instrumentality. That was his "decision" that no one deserved a second chance. But I guess "humanity" did

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I think in that version you can sort of decide for yourself if you want to pop out of the hive mind soul egg or stay in the goop so maybe seele just hangs out in the goo quietly grumpy that this 15 year old misanthrope ruined everything

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Lol wrong thread

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I banged my wife, and then I hosed the mom of everyone who quotes or responds to this post with "same" or "I banged your wife too"

fair trade I suppose

prison is fun
Sep 17, 2016

by Smythe

Germstore posted:

fair trade I suppose

ru srsly baiting urself on here cat retard

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

No, no one comes back except asuka. He kills everyone by interrupting instrumentality. That was his "decision" that no one deserved a second chance. But I guess "humanity" did

Nah

The joke of the ending is that Shinji finally decided that it's better to exist as an individual than to seek extinction, but now that everybody else has tried the extinction of individual identity they like it more than they liked being alive and the only people who forsake the primordial sludge to take on human shape again are hosed up sadbrain losers like him and Asuka. The ending is about how just realizing that you want to exist rather than die will not make your life good or fun.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I disagree but see how that works

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

skasion posted:

Nah

The joke of the ending is that Shinji finally decided that it's better to exist as an individual than to seek extinction, but now that everybody else has tried the extinction of individual identity they like it more than they liked being alive and the only people who forsake the primordial sludge to take on human shape again are hosed up sadbrain losers like him and Asuka. The ending is about how just realizing that you want to exist rather than die will not make your life good or fun.

yep its either this or shinji just really wanted to choke a bitch

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I think in that version you can sort of decide for yourself if you want to pop out of the hive mind soul egg or stay in the goop so maybe seele just hangs out in the goo quietly grumpy that this 15 year old misanthrope ruined everything

does the goop get new jersey

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

where he butthole

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Sonofsilversign posted:

yep its either this or shinji just really wanted to choke a bitch

Its this too. Tang overdose turned him into a ken doll and now asphyxiation is the only way he can attain arousal

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

LegoPirateNinja posted:

does the goop get new jersey

I think its the other way around like, does new jersey get the goop.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

skasion posted:

Its this too. Tang overdose turned him into a ken doll and now asphyxiation is the only way he can attain arousal

dunno bout that sleep creep seems to do it for him too

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
I found the Shinji choking Asuka stuff very disturbing and not consistent with Shinji's character. I didn't get what the point of that was at all.. Shinji is weak and fearful, he's not supposed to be a psycho.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The Dennis System posted:

I found the Shinji choking Asuka stuff very disturbing and not consistent with Shinji's character. I didn't get what the point of that was at all.. Shinji is weak and fearful, he's not supposed to be a psycho.

The scene is a reference to the end of Devilman where Satan and Devilman are chilling on the beach after the apocalypse wiped out humankind and Satan is expounding the gently caress out of its philosophy and hatred of God and reasoning for being such a dick and then it turns out that Devilman was dead all along, Satan was ranting at a corpse, and the angels are about to come down and gently caress Satan's poo poo up. Or alternatively it's a reference to the bit in Do You Remember Love where Hikaru and Hayase crash on Earth only to find that it's been nuked to gently caress from orbit and they just camp out on the beach eating weird mutant fish until romance develops between them.

Also Shinji is fearful for sure, but he isn't exactly weak in the sense of being violence averse. On the contrary he's boneheaded, selfish, and stubborn. Last time he saw Asuka he was strangling her, he probably figured he might as well keep at it since it didn't take.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Bimmi posted:

where he butthole

The S2 engine eliminates the need to poop.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I've never watched this and none of this topic makes me want to change that.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

satanic splash-back posted:

I've never watched this and none of this topic makes me want to change that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUamHEvVQy0

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

i think its a good scene cause its so open to interpretation like you could see it as proof that seele was right and humans just cause each other to suffer or as him trying to reassert his individual existence by destroying hers or whatevs

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

skasion posted:

The scene is a reference to the end of Devilman where Satan and Devilman are chilling on the beach after the apocalypse wiped out humankind and Satan is expounding the gently caress out of its philosophy and hatred of God and reasoning for being such a dick and then it turns out that Devilman was dead all along, Satan was ranting at a corpse, and the angels are about to come down and gently caress Satan's poo poo up. Or alternatively it's a reference to the bit in Do You Remember Love where Hikaru and Hayase crash on Earth only to find that it's been nuked to gently caress from orbit and they just camp out on the beach eating weird mutant fish until romance develops between them.

Also Shinji is fearful for sure, but he isn't exactly weak in the sense of being violence averse. On the contrary he's boneheaded, selfish, and stubborn. Last time he saw Asuka he was strangling her, he probably figured he might as well keep at it since it didn't take.

Maybe you're right, but, unfortunately, I've never seen Devilman or Do You Remember Love.

Sonofsilversign posted:

i think its a good scene cause its so open to interpretation like you could see it as proof that seele was right and humans just cause each other to suffer or as him trying to reassert his individual existence by destroying hers or whatevs

Could be. But I still prefer the original series "congratulations" ending.

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016

Nutsngum posted:

You somehow left Castle of Cagliostro off that list idiot.

cagliostro is a bad movie and a very bad lupin movie

i'm not loving lying he is so out of character in that loving overhyped piece of poo poo and besides everyone creams themselves over MIYAZAKI-SAN, which is the real reason weebs even loving remember that turd

it did gangbusters in japan because of the girl and they loooooooove tugging it to questionably underage cartoon ladies over there; dunno if you've heard about this

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

I AM THE TOILET posted:

cagliostro is a bad movie and a very bad lupin movie

i'm not loving lying he is so out of character in that loving overhyped piece of poo poo and besides everyone creams themselves over MIYAZAKI-SAN, which is the real reason weebs even loving remember that turd

it did gangbusters in japan because of the girl and they loooooooove tugging it to questionably underage cartoon ladies over there; dunno if you've heard about this

please to not insult glorious nippon china has never and will never own the senkaku islands

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Maybe you're right, but, unfortunately, I've never seen Devilman or Do You Remember Love.

Devilman sucks despite being influential on a lot of stuff, but DYRL is a good movie, I recommend it if you like cartoons about robots. Don't know how much sense it will make if you haven't seen the SDF Macross show though.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
NGE is good because it's central theme is that anime is bullshit for depressives.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Wusses snap 3x as hard as regular people, this is a fact irl too. He'd gone bonkers on her once before and during every single fight with an angel though, so yeah. It's perfectly in line with his character.

On another level, it works as a demonstration of the characters' psychological states without the need for wordswordswords. "Oh gently caress, I just denied a perfect if illusory existence for a horrific blood ocean and goddamned ASUKA!!! Nope gently caress this bitch." "Arg don't kill me, I want to live. I'm sorry about that poo poo I said before. I accept you. Life is precious." "gently caress. Ok, w/e. I am too tired to care anymore, anyway." As you can see it works much better with just the emoting.

Don't get me wrong though, it's disturbing as hell. I hated the poo poo out of that scene for a long time just because it's so nasty.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Nathilus posted:

I accept you.

Uh isn't the very last line in the movie her calling Shinji disgusting

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

She accepts that he sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nobody speak
Sep 18, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
its a boot objectification and rape

• Locked thread