Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
I dunno if there is any defending that read, man. Watkins had more space with his defender playing off coverage than what McCoy had around him if he's truly the second read. And if he's really seeing it well, he should have seen that Woods' man was drafting towards McCoy. There isn't even any pressure to justify just taking the yards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Kalli posted:

You know, looking back on it, the Bills offense had some really untimely 3 and outs, but the massive time of possession disparity is the defense's fault for getting owned in the 1st quarter. The rest of the game is a fine 21 vs 24 minute difference.

- 1st quarter -
8m Jets drive, FG
1m Bills drive, TD
6m Jets drive, FG

Are you saying the Bills... scored... too quickly?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Chilichimp posted:

Are you saying the Bills... scored... too quickly?

That's what the complaint seems to boil down to, which just doesn't hold up with me. The Bills had problems, but their inability to get the Jets offense off the field sure seems to be the fault of the Bills defense's inability to stop the Jets at all, not from being worn out.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Kalli posted:

That's what the complaint seems to boil down to, which just doesn't hold up with me. The Bills had problems, but their inability to get the Jets offense off the field sure seems to be the fault of the Bills defense's inability to stop the Jets at all, not from being worn out.

Thanks for the breakdown Kalli, that actually helped a lot. Bills D shot themselves in the foot in the first quarter and the offense did them no favors to give them a break after that.

My biggest issue is people looking at the points the offense scored to justify their performance. They had 2 bomb TDs and another on a 4th quarter drive down by 2 scores when the Jets were playing prevent. While I don't want to disregard the deep game completely, if you can't move the chains and convert first downs it's kind of a problem.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Oh boy, here we goooo...

https://twitter.com/mikerodak/status/776870337141051392

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Richie Incognito, company man.

https://twitter.com/MatthewFairburn/status/776871157958082561

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

fsif posted:

Yeah lost in a lot of this hubbub is that Tyrod just isn't playing well.

https://twitter.com/YardsPerPass/status/775456292748025856

300 yards with 10Y/a and 3 TDs. Terrible.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Lol that they had 37 points put on them and they are talking about the offense

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

quote:

The Sporting News' Alex Marvez reports the Bills' front office forced coach Rex Ryan to fire OC Greg Roman as a "sacrificial lamb" following Thursday night's embarrassing home loss to the Jets.

Per Marvez, the front office "leaned on" Rex to make a "significant change" in hopes of "appeasing a disgruntled fan base." Ryan couldn't fire himself -- and certainly wouldn't fire his brother Rob -- so he fired Roman, who took the Bills' offense from No. 26 in offensive DVOA in 2014 to No. 9 in 2015, and scored 24 points Thursday night against a tough Jets defense. Meanwhile, Rex's defense finished No. 24 in DVOA in 2015 after ranking No. 2 under Jim Schwartz in 2014, and coughed up 37 points at home to the Jets. Marvez also confirms Rex himself "is feeling the heat" following an 0-2 start. The Bills are set up to start 0-4 with the Cardinals and Patriots next on the schedule.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
I think both teams are fairly bad and will not reach the playoffs. Jaguars will and will play very well in their first playoff game in like forty years.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

fsif posted:

Yeah lost in a lot of this hubbub is that Tyrod just isn't playing well.

https://twitter.com/YardsPerPass/status/775456292748025856

:drat: That is just unforgivable, Tyrod. He looks like Kaepernick when Kaep just regressed out of nowhere and lost the ability to even see receivers that weren't his first read. Is Roman just breaking the brains of these guys, telling them to make these terrible reads, or just plain unlucky?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Thanks for making me feel sorry for Greg Roman, Bills.

Thills

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Chichevache posted:

:drat: That is just unforgivable, Tyrod. He looks like Kaepernick when Kaep just regressed out of nowhere and lost the ability to even see receivers that weren't his first read. Is Roman just breaking the brains of these guys, telling them to make these terrible reads, or just plain unlucky?

Reminder that Greg Roman learned how to determine progressions from Geep Chryst (the guy who's greatest contribution to football is the "decoy" go route, and SF's OC under Jim Tomsula).

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Coldforge posted:

Reminder that Greg Roman learned how to determine progressions from Geep Chryst (the guy who's greatest contribution to football is the "decoy" go route, and SF's OC under Jim Tomsula).

You got a link where I can read more about this? I've never heard it before.

edit

VVVV
loving :lol:

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 16, 2016

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Chichevache posted:

I, too, do not believe there was anybody ever named Geep Chryst

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Chichevache posted:

edit

VVVV
loving :lol:

Here's something from the Bills writers about how he was operating similarly in Buffalo last year as he did in SF (in charge of the run game only). http://www.buffalorumblings.com/bills-news-notes/2015/1/27/7920947/buffalo-bills-greg-roman-offense-david-lee-sanjay-lal-passing-game

A short recap of his issues in SF. http://www.ninersnation.com/2015/11/15/9736210/was-greg-romans-offense-to-blame-in-san-francisco

My favorite SF writer explaining how it's totally not Greg Roman's fault, because he wasn't even in charge of the play calling. http://www.mercurynews.com/2015/01/12/kawakami-blaming-greg-roman-is-pure-49ers-folly/

My second favorite SF writer interpreting the play calling mess in SF. http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/harbaugh-greg-roman-is-the-play-caller/

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Watching a wide open receiver streak down a huge seam while the QB just does something dumb always makes me feel sad. All the lost bombs, never to be realized.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
Taylor isn't a good QB is the biggest problem in Buffalo. Along with Watkins's health issues.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
The Bills gave up 37 points and didn't force the Jets to punt until well into the 3rd quarter. I don't see how he was the biggest problem with them last night.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

warcrimes posted:

Taylor isn't a good QB is the biggest problem in Buffalo. Along with Watkins's health issues.

The defense being bad despite the coaches is a pretty big issue

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

He was pretty strong fundamentally last year, in ways that he's lacking now. I'd like to wait to see how that resolves

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Ross Angeles posted:

The defense being bad despite the coaches is a pretty big issue

Despite?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Rex is a good defensive coach so yeah

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Ross Angeles posted:

And yet he somehow made a great defense a very bad one.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
I'm somewhat confused as to why the organization is completely imploding after 2 games. They didn't even lose by that many points and outside Watkins they are pretty healthy.

Yes the fans are pissed but getting rid of Roman seems like a move done in a total panic and is going to destroy morale.

Things are grim for the Bills despite high expectations.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Chichevache posted:

And yet he somehow made a great defense a very bad one.

Yes which is why that is a big issue.

Follow along Chiche

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ross Angeles posted:

He's a rich man's Jeff Fischer.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

pasaluki posted:

I'm somewhat confused as to why the organization is completely imploding after 2 games. They didn't even lose by that many points and outside Watkins they are pretty healthy.

Yes the fans are pissed but getting rid of Roman seems like a move done in a total panic and is going to destroy morale.

Things are grim for the Bills despite high expectations.

At least you won the offseason :smug:

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Ross Angeles posted:

Yes which is why that is a big issue.

Follow along Chiche

Is this...is this a Chargers fan trying to tell a Seahawks fan what a good coach looks like?

Wait :crossarms:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Ross Angeles posted:

But Rob only has one good defense every decade or so.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

MrLogan posted:

He's worse.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

ulmont posted:

Rob drives a defense someone else restored and put a lot of love into. Then the next season he decides to chop the top, throw on spinners, and take it off road.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

MrLogan posted:

Jeff Fischer with PERSONALITY

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

ulmont posted:

The defense was bad last year without Rob

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Coldforge posted:

Is this...is this a Chargers fan trying to tell a Seahawks fan what a good coach looks like?

Wait :crossarms:

Let me tell you about 2006

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

I'm Glad The Bengals Lost

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
gently caress everything.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Sour Diesel posted:

I'm Glad The Bengals Lost

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
I'm Glad The Ravens Won

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
At least the Giants earned the win. Oh well.

• Locked thread