Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

FreudianSlippers posted:

For a while the ERE was ruled by a Varangian who had no parents and was therefore probably created in a lab somewhere

His dynasty name means "of the Mixture"... :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Dareon posted:

:psyduck: Venice taking parts of Italy and that neighborhood I can understand, but why do they own Spain?

e: also Frisian Africa.:psyduck:

This is an incredible mix of "Sure, I can see how that could happen" and "What the gently caress were they smoking?"

Elias_Maluco posted:

Also in the event when someone asks you to join a plot, there should be a link for the plot target

Yeah, this.

I'd also like to be able to auto-choose commanders. I do rarely dole them out to people other than whoever has the highest martial score, but only rarely. Honestly that title feels like a bit of a mis-step though, it adds an extra bit of busywork but doesn't really make a big difference to how things play out; I stuff all my best dudes into my one or two big stacks and go to town. I'd ask whether it couldn't be better done by reverting to letting anyone lead without needing the title, whilst giving an opinion bonus to any commander who was in a fight for you, or something.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dareon posted:

:psyduck: Venice taking parts of Italy and that neighborhood I can understand, but why do they own Spain?

e: also Frisian Africa.:psyduck:

Probably just marriage shenanigans. The AI will press claims it's acquired if it thinks it can win, and will often just marry for whatever claims it can, regardless of whether it makes any geographical sense.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Auto commander just using the highest martial score is a problem becauseyou don't want council members as commanders and they often have high scores

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Darth Windu posted:

Auto commander just using the highest martial score is a problem becauseyou don't want council members as commanders and they often have high scores

Yeah, there's also the issue of commanders who are fighting their own wars - they will often reassign themselves from your armies back to their own, leaving you with a flank without a commander and no warning.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'd actually like a different warning notification for missing commanders than for missing other minor titles, because I always have the Designated Regent position unfilled, which makes me miss when a commander slot empties and suddenly I'm trying to take on a slightly-larger army with no commanders on my side. :suicide:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Darth Windu posted:

But you can forbid councilors (and yourself and your heir) from leading armies with the relevant button if you don't want them to get killed.

Actually I often assign lovely, troublesome councilors as commanders just for the slight chance they'll get imprisoned and executed/bonked in the head and become incapable/straight up get killed.

Anyways auto-assignment of commanders would be great, but I'd rather have an auto-fill button than an ongoing toggle like the "end known plots" checkbox so I can still assign manually without having to remove other guys if I need to.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Darkrenown posted:

What other UI tweaks would help you play?

Also in the Find characters screen - radio buttons instead of a drop down for all the Yes No Any options.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Darkrenown posted:

Your levies should be fine as of either 2.5.2 or 2.6, I forget which, but if you are playing with the current version you should have full levies after switching.

Thanks, Jazerus, for the CK2+ infos. While I am looking for things to steal, I saw that "more decisions visible" UI mod a few pages back. It's a good idea. Anyone that feels like answering: What other UI tweaks would help you play? I have my own list which I am slowly trying to add in, but more to think about could not hurt.

Some way to filter the people finder based on who's in diplomatic range would be the best thing.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I often make my sons into commanders to get them some extra prestige and gold, plus if I'm playing a Viking I can then go take them on raids to get the amazing Viking traits. An auto-assign button won't know that I want my craven 4 martial son to be a commander even if he never actually fights a single battle.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Oh dear me posted:

Also in the Find characters screen - radio buttons instead of a drop down for all the Yes No Any options.

Do you mean radial buttons?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

SeaTard posted:

I often make my sons into commanders to get them some extra prestige and gold, plus if I'm playing a Viking I can then go take them on raids to get the amazing Viking traits. An auto-assign button won't know that I want my craven 4 martial son to be a commander even if he never actually fights a single battle.

Which doesn't really matter since you can swap commanders more or less at will. Punch auto-assign once, then replace the worst of the autoassigned commanders with your idiot son.

The only worry I would have about auto-assign would be missing really good commanders (like literally anybody with Siege Leader) because the more qualitative judgments are hard to make with just a decision. It works fine in a lot of mods like Elder Kings for non-military minor titles, though, since those are tied directly to education and stats, which are simpler metrics.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Omnicarus posted:

Would there be any way to add tiers to nicknames so we could get some of the rarer ones that would replace more generic ones when we have the traits for them? Seems like most of my Emperors get The Great or The Wise at about 10x the rate as any others. Or could we get a decision or event to try and curtail uses of nicknames? Something like "The peasantry has started referring to you as King Henry "nickname"" and you could either embrace the nickname or make it a punishable offense to use it? Give like 80% of it going away, 10% chance of it sticking anyway, and 10% chance of getting a worse one the "King Henry the Thin Skinned"

Since the last patch I've noticed two-thirds of the people who get on the College of Cardinals are "the Holy". Seems like the likelihood of getting the Holy from having enough piety was ratcheted way upward. It's kind of annoying.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

ThaumPenguin posted:

Do you mean radial buttons?

No, I mean a group of buttons (Y|N|ANY) where clicking one down unclicks the others, i.e. only one can be down at a time.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Is there a good way to recover Ironman saves/is this a known bug?

I finally got a computer that can actually run CK2 OK, my partner and I sat down and played into the wee hours of last night.

We decided we'd have a go at an Ironman game (because we didn't really think we'd bother savescumming, just playing for fun) today, played for a couple of hours this evening and then the game crashed when I went to do "save and exit". Going back in, the earlier Ironman game we started before and abandoned is there, but not the one we were playing. Are we hosed?

Edit: I did some Googling, didn't realise Ironman auto-saves to cloud...

...doesn't matter though, because my cloud save directory is empty! The abandoned Ironman game I was loading before was stored locally though :confused:

I guess the lesson learned here is "Don't play Ironman".

Edit2: Just noticed that whole "create account" thing on the first screen, maybe that's why cloud save was empty? (Just created one.) But why in God's name would the game not warn you about not having an account/not being logged in when you start an Ironman game? And anyways, it already did save one Ironman game locally, just not the one I actually cared about...

Paradox :argh:

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 18, 2016

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Since the last patch I've noticed two-thirds of the people who get on the College of Cardinals are "the Holy". Seems like the likelihood of getting the Holy from having enough piety was ratcheted way upward. It's kind of annoying.

You also get 'the Holy' when you fulfil the piety ambition, which priests almost always take because duh, of course they do.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Is there a way you can always click a portrait, regardless of what interface you're in (educate child, arrange marriage, etc) and bring up that character's sheet? Old versions of the game (around Old Gods I think) let you right-click and select to go to that character's page, but it's not part of the right-click menu anymore. And sometimes right-click performs an action like selecting the marriage partner.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
So, if there's a rule that opens up Supernatural Events for the AI planned, does this mean we can be targets of werewolf attacks and whatnot?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

BenRGamer posted:

So, if there's a rule that opens up Supernatural Events for the AI planned, does this mean we can be targets of werewolf attacks and whatnot?

I thought this was a historical realism game.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Parallax Scroll posted:

Is there a way you can always click a portrait, regardless of what interface you're in (educate child, arrange marriage, etc) and bring up that character's sheet? Old versions of the game (around Old Gods I think) let you right-click and select to go to that character's page, but it's not part of the right-click menu anymore. And sometimes right-click performs an action like selecting the marriage partner.

I think that actually, it's left-click that does that now.

e; But that closes the screen you were on usually, so nevermind!

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 19, 2016

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Parallax Scroll posted:

I thought this was a historical realism game.

Well, I believe one of the possible events for possessed characters is a 'werewolf' style event-chain where you can potentially kill other characters. Wondering if now you can be attacked in that way.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

One thing that would be useful is the ability to either search by being in line for inheritance (so I can exclude heirs as well as current title-holders when doling stuff out). Another nice thing would be a single button on the char search that applies "Non-landed dynasty member and can be given a title" without having to go and set specific options.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, I'm finally back home (Spent yesterday and most of today away from my computer), and I've decided to take a break from the base game for a moment and try out After The End finally. I checked out some stuff on it (including multiple video LPs that frustrated me more than anything, for various reasons), and I find myself enamored with The Fifty-One, because that is a great name for an Atomicist tribe. Sadly from what I've seen in actual games they, much like The Mouse, tend to fare poorly, getting devoured by Comancheria fairly quickly. Anyone have any tips for surviving, both as a tribe in general (it's been ages since I played a non-feudal game) and specifically as The Fifty-One?

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Sep 19, 2016

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I still wish I could have like, a will mechanic, so I could actually change what the hell gavelkind gives to whom, who inherits how much and what of my money, which titles and so on, instead of just having the computer randomly allocate them or having to give them while I'm still alive

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

FreudianSlippers posted:

As a one legged person I can confirm that this is highly accurate.

21st century one legged is different. You don't need to rely on Hodor to carry you around to do anything. Probably. No offence meant if you have a Hodor.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Help. Why is Svithjod in Tripoli. Why is Lombardy in Libya. Why are there Hindus in Persia. The world is upside down nooooo

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Facebook Aunt posted:

21st century one legged is different. You don't need to rely on Hodor to carry you around to do anything. Probably. No offence meant if you have a Hodor.

Of course I have a Hodor. What sort of peasant doesn't have a big burly simpleton to carry them around?

That being said there was such as prosthetic legs in the medieval period. For example Grettir's Saga, which was written in the 13th century but takes place in the viking age and is probably loosely based on real people and events, partly revolves around Grettir's great-grandfather a man called Önundur "Tréfótur" or "Tree-leg". Önundur lost his leg in the battle of Hafrsfjord sometime around 870 fighting against Harald the Fairhair. He is described as being "the bravest and most agile one legged man in Iceland. which granted isn't saying a lot but it still indicates that prosthetic limbs were well known to medieval people, even in the desolate backwater that was medieval Iceland.

Archaeologists have also found the remains of prosthetic dating back to Imperial Rome, Shang Dynasty China and Ancient Egypt.

Of course the reason I know this is because I have 1+ learning.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Help. Why is Svithjod in Tripoli. Why is Lombardy in Libya. Why are there Hindus in Persia. The world is upside down nooooo

Throw in some incest, assassination, and treachery and you've got CK2.txt right there

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

Roland Jones posted:

Okay, I'm finally back home (Spent yesterday and most of today away from my computer), and I've decided to take a break from the base game for a moment and try out After The End finally. I checked out some stuff on it (including multiple video LPs that frustrated me more than anything, for various reasons), and I find myself enamored with The Fifty-One, because that is a great name for an Atomicist tribe. Sadly from what I've seen in actual games they, much like The Mouse, tend to fare poorly, getting devoured by Comancheria fairly quickly. Anyone have any tips for surviving, both as a tribe in general (it's been ages since I played a non-feudal game) and specifically as The Fifty-One?

I'd really like to see a bit more tribes and nomads represented in AtE, the way it is now, they're pretty marginal, though the ones in New England tend to do well.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

Get an alliance with Sierra Madre if you can, the Professor if you can't, try and subjugate the Arixan tribes and start out by trying to destroy the Neo-Gnostics, then the Mormons

Try to get out of tribalism as quick as you can btw, seeing as you're not pagan its relatively painless, just takes time

Fall Sick and Die posted:

I'd really like to see a bit more tribes and nomads represented in AtE, the way it is now, they're pretty marginal, though the ones in New England tend to do well.
At this point, I'd legit love to have some alternate bookmarks going on, because the world has plenty of depth already, though there's still some areas that need to be fixed (Canadian religions, South-America, Mormons spring to mind)

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Get an alliance with Sierra Madre if you can, the Professor if you can't, try and subjugate the Arixan tribes and start out by trying to destroy the Neo-Gnostics, then the Mormons

Try to get out of tribalism as quick as you can btw, seeing as you're not pagan its relatively painless, just takes time

Yeah, the Sierra Madre definitely seem like the best way to not die early on here.

Out of curiosity, when it comes to subjugating and the Become King ambition, was it that you had to use your one free subjugation before or after taking the ambition? I can never remember. While it doesn't matter too much here, since there's only one other tribe on your starting kingdom so you'll get one extra subjugation anyway, it's still probably worth using right.

Thanks for the game plan. I'll try that; while making The Lone Star seems like the obvious eventual goal, getting land away from Comancheria is probably the way to go. Wish I didn't have to give up my awesome flag eventually, though.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 19, 2016

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Before

also if you have Charlemagne just go for a titular kingdom/Empire, I usually do that when I'm on the other side of Comancheria playing as the Airmen

Titular kingdom is important because it means you probably only have to get one other legit kingdom title, then form the one you stole land from as the third

It's also usually a hell of a lot simpler than trying to go for the legit empires, as they are usually way, way WAY too loving big and it's kinda irritating

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Roland Jones posted:

Yeah, the Sierra Madre definitely seem like the best way to not die early on here.

Out of curiosity, when it comes to subjugating and the Become King ambition, was it that you had to use your one free subjugation before or after taking the ambition? I can never remember. While it doesn't matter too much here, since there's only one other tribe on your starting kingdom so you'll get one extra subjugation anyway, it's still probably worth using right.

Thanks for the game plan. I'll try that; while making The Lone Star seems like the obvious eventual goal, getting land away from Comancheria is probably the way to go. Wish I didn't have to give up my awesome flag eventually, though.
Before, and also IIRC Atomicists don't count as pagan, so you only get one subjugation for being tribal, after that you have to fabricate your way up same as anybody else.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Before

also if you have Charlemagne just go for a titular kingdom/Empire, I usually do that when I'm on the other side of Comancheria playing as the Airmen

Titular kingdom is important because it means you probably only have to get one other legit kingdom title, then form the one you stole land from as the third

It's also usually a hell of a lot simpler than trying to go for the legit empires, as they are usually way, way WAY too loving big and it's kinda irritating

Ah, point. And I was playing with the extra empires off but even with them on a titular empire seems more fun, keep the flag and horrible nasty green color.

And thanks again for the subjugation info.

darthbob88 posted:

Before, and also IIRC Atomicists don't count as pagan, so you only get one subjugation for being tribal, after that you have to fabricate your way up same as anybody else.

Oh crud, yeah, they're Old World Cultists. Whoops. Alright, thanks.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Throw in some incest, assassination, and treachery and you've got CK2.txt right there

My king of England had 16 children before dying of cancer at age 57. 5 of his children are bastards. Unfortunately, the oldest child managed to pop out a kid before making GBS threads himself to death so the throne passed along to him. The kid was brought up speaking German for some goddamn reason and everyone hates him. :(

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

My king of England had 16 children before dying of cancer at age 57. 5 of his children are bastards. Unfortunately, the oldest child managed to pop out a kid before making GBS threads himself to death so the throne passed along to him. The kid was brought up speaking German for some goddamn reason and everyone hates him. :(

The authentic George I experience.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Welp, guess I'm surviving the plague, then. Sucks for the rest of you peasants, I guess. Try not to clutter up the view from my window with your corpse bonfires.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Is there an Immortality event where you drink quicksilver?

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
If you have never tried out Norse Zunists, you really should, holy poo poo.

You can literally take on stacks 3-4 times your size and win handily.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

FreudianSlippers posted:

Of course I have a Hodor. What sort of peasant doesn't have a big burly simpleton to carry them around?

That being said there was such as prosthetic legs in the medieval period. For example Grettir's Saga, which was written in the 13th century but takes place in the viking age and is probably loosely based on real people and events, partly revolves around Grettir's great-grandfather a man called Önundur "Tréfótur" or "Tree-leg". Önundur lost his leg in the battle of Hafrsfjord sometime around 870 fighting against Harald the Fairhair. He is described as being "the bravest and most agile one legged man in Iceland. which granted isn't saying a lot but it still indicates that prosthetic limbs were well known to medieval people, even in the desolate backwater that was medieval Iceland.

Archaeologists have also found the remains of prosthetic dating back to Imperial Rome, Shang Dynasty China and Ancient Egypt.

It would probably depend on how much leg you had left. If it's an amputation below the knee then you basically have one and a half legs, and a basic balancing prosthetic can be made from wood and leather.

Above the knee can be a much trickier proposition. As I understand it, making a good fake knee joint is hard. A solid peg leg is possible with primitive materials, but it is going to be heavy, painful, and unwieldy. You wouldn't be able to crouch or kneel. And a big ol' peg leg that might be okay for walking will look ridiculous on horseback. I've never used a prosthetic, but I imagine one made of solid wood would be a lot like a full leg cast, and those are inconvenient as all get out. I can imagine a lot of people deciding to stop being active and instead turn to more sedentary pursuits.

More than the sheer inconvenience though would be the trauma, assuming it happened as an adult. A man going through a crippling injury may well think things like "I am not a real man now" "what do I have to live for?" "What is my purpose in life?" "Why me?" and so on. The months of physical recovery will likely be accompanied by a lot of contemplation and philosophising. (Of course that would be equally true for other life-changing injuries, especially eunuch.)

FreudianSlippers posted:

Of course the reason I know this is because I have 1+ learning.
A-ha!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

I'm not a big fan of the supernatural stuff, but if it's ambiguous and it's done right it's fine. Like "possessed" is fine - they could just be insane/diseased or they can be literally possessed by the devil, and you leave it up to the player to decide. But now that the game explicitly spells out exactly what diseases someone has that doesn't work so well anymore.

Stuff like werewolves and immortality? Fun once in a while but generally not what I'm looking for in this game. I guess that's what the option to turn off supernatural events is for.

Also whoops my 7th son was all set to inherit all 3 of my kingdoms by election, then I did "found a new empire" with my 76 year old king and now I'm back to gavelkind and my lovely eldest, graying son as my primary heir. Gotta wait 10 years to change to elective, but the young son still gets all the kingdoms. lol

a shiny rock fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Sep 19, 2016

• Locked thread