Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Reason posted:

Just finished the Fifth Season and thought it was great. People asked if it deserved over Seveneves and other people gave a bunch of reasons why Seveneves wasn't good enough, but even without those flaws this book is probably better. Something thats interesting to me is that black women(at least of the authors I've read) write grim dark sci-fi/fantasy so, so much better than white men. This and Who Fears Death blow similar books I've read out of the water without going LOOK AT HOW LARGE THAT BARBED DEMON PENIS IS AS IT RAPES EVERYONE RAGHHHH GRIM DARKKKK.
Really. Who Fears Death is in an odd place where it manages to be beautiful and really loving bleak at the same time; if The Fifth Season is similar, I'll have to move it up on my to-read list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Rusty posted:

I loved TBP, and The Dark Forest, but if you're looking for something similar to Aurora, maybe try Children of Time if you haven't.

Read Children of Time right before Aurora haha

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015

Reason posted:

Just finished the Fifth Season and thought it was great. People asked if it deserved over Seveneves and other people gave a bunch of reasons why Seveneves wasn't good enough, but even without those flaws this book is probably better. Something thats interesting to me is that black women(at least of the authors I've read) write grim dark sci-fi/fantasy so, so much better than white men. This and Who Fears Death blow similar books I've read out of the water without going LOOK AT HOW LARGE THAT BARBED DEMON PENIS IS AS IT RAPES EVERYONE RAGHHHH GRIM DARKKKK.

Well I'm triggered.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Reason posted:

lmao okay

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
What are these large barbed demon penis books, I need to... research them.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Megazver posted:

Prince of Nothing by Scott R. Bakker.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Megazver posted:

One of the Sword of Truth books features this prominently in, I believe, the prologue.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Patrick Spens posted:

Nah, they are only slick and glistening with black demon seed.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Cardiac posted:

Nah, they are only slick and glistening with black demon seed.

Don't forget that they curve towards the hollow of the belly.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
*furiously takes notes*

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Patrick Spens posted:

I think this is the author I was thinking of. Its also miles better than poo poo like GRRM's Game of Thrones in terms of being bleak. GRRM's notion of grim dark is 'lol I killed all the characters you liked and he's loving his sister'. Finishing this and Who Fear's Death I had similar, "Holy poo poo that was bleak as gently caress" moments and its done in such a way that it feels like the author knows what they're writing about and hits those emotional buttons in a much more satisfying way.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

black demon seed

Reason posted:

the author knows what they're writing about and hits those emotional buttons in a much more satisfying way.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I for one found not-Conan the Barbarian stabbing holes in the ground and then cry - loving them to be a very compelling scene.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

Reason posted:

I don't think the puppies understand that the reason they're losing is that the previously prevailing aesthetic and its white male beardo authors was stale, unoriginal, and self-indulgent.

This year's Novel Nominees are almost too perfect exemplars. Aeronaut's Windlass is a competent swashbuckler with no emotional depth and Seveneves is a turgid navelgazer by a writer who has already clearly written his best books. Both Ancillary Mercy and Uprooted are strong books with thoughtful character work that are ultimately a bit genre-y. Fifth Season is easily the most ambitious book -- ambitious structurally, ambitious with characters, ambitious with plot -- and it delivers despite being the first in a TRILOGY.

And last year's was even worse! Kevin Anderson got a nomination despite being a trash writer and BOOK 15 in the Dresden Files! Goblin Emperor and Ancillary Sword, meanwhile, were both groundbreaking because they WEREN'T predictively grimdark, and the winner wrote the first truly speculative hard sci-fi that has won in ages.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Copernic posted:

I don't think the puppies understand that the reason they're losing is that the previously prevailing aesthetic and its white male beardo authors was stale, unoriginal, and self-indulgent.

This year's Novel Nominees are almost too perfect exemplars. Aeronaut's Windlass is a competent swashbuckler with no emotional depth and Seveneves is a turgid navelgazer by a writer who has already clearly written his best books. Both Ancillary Mercy and Uprooted are strong books with thoughtful character work that are ultimately a bit genre-y. Fifth Season is easily the most ambitious book -- ambitious structurally, ambitious with characters, ambitious with plot -- and it delivers despite being the first in a TRILOGY.

And last year's was even worse! Kevin Anderson got a nomination despite being a trash writer and BOOK 15 in the Dresden Files! Goblin Emperor and Ancillary Sword, meanwhile, were both groundbreaking because they WEREN'T predictively grimdark, and the winner wrote the first truly speculative hard sci-fi that has won in ages.

Uprooted only put thought and work into one character and I'd say it's more than a bit genre-y. Also, never forget the atonal attempted rape in the first few chapters. I would much rather reread Seveneves or Aeronaut's Windlass than Uprooted.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Solitair posted:

Uprooted only put thought and work into one character and I'd say it's more than a bit genre-y. Also, never forget the atonal attempted rape in the first few chapters. I would much rather reread Seveneves or Aeronaut's Windlass than Uprooted.

Also Mercy was terrible.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
For the UK ebook people, there is a pretty decent sale going on this weekend due to Gollancz Festival:
All books are 99p and are available from several retailers.

http://www.gollancz.co.uk/2016/09/the-gollancz-festival-ebook-sale/

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
I am so so happy right now. All hail Fart of Presto.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Thanks, picked up the Baxter and Abercrombie short story collections and the Elizabeth Bear book. Any other recommendations from that list?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

The prices seem to hold up on the US side too, the books at 99 p show up as $1.11 for me. Grabbed Red Knight, Luna, Rivers of London and Sharp Things. Locke Lamora is in there and everyone who hasn't read it should get it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I see quite a few I'd buy but they are all full price for me? (on the US site).

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

That might be the case, I'm in Finland with a US bought Kindle, I've always bought e-books from .com and the .co.uk site didn't let me buy anything but the .com site did, so I have absolutely no idea what Amazon thinks I am or where I live.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Antti posted:

That might be the case, I'm in Finland with a US bought Kindle, I've always bought e-books from .com and the .co.uk site didn't let me buy anything but the .com site did, so I have absolutely no idea what Amazon thinks I am or where I live.
Unless you use a country-specific billing address for shopping in the US or UK (or anywhere else, where Amazon has a Kindle store, like DE, FR, JP etc.), you would use the International Kindle store and shown USD prices.

The major issue with buying from that store, is that authors often have different publishers for their US and UK releases. They might even have a third publisher for international English language ebook releases outside of US, Canada, UK and AUS/NZ.
And if those publishers don't make the book available to International users, you won't be able to buy it.
Prices might also vary wildly from both the US and the UK stores.

Yes, it's immensely retarded, but at least with Amazon, it's pretty easy to fix:
Add an American address in the Manage Addresses page on Amazon. I use a friends address in CA. Don't use obvious ones like White House etc.
Switch country to the US address in the Manage Your Content and Devices/Settings page

You will now be able to use the Kindle Daily Deal without issues.
I have been using this "trick" for several years, even though my credit card is issued in Denmark. If I want to buy a book that's not yet available in the US, I just switch my device country back to use my Danish billing address, as I'm then in the International store, where the book might be available. next time I need to buy something, I then switch it back to the US address.
I did this to get eg. Iain M. Banks' Feersum Endjinn back before it was available in the US. It's also the way to get books from Stross, Reynolds and other UK authors, when it took up to 6 months between the UK and the US release, and you didn't want to :filez: the book, but just wanted to buy and read the drat thing.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Oh yeah! I actually use a US shipping address myself, I did it originally because I wanted to buy digital games.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
I just switched over and grabbed a couple of books.

Also bought Revenger by Alastair Reynolds as a Kindle book.
This is a perfect example of the hosed up publishing world: The paperback is only now available for pre-order to be released in the US in Feb. 2017, with no sign of the ebook version anywhere, while I can grab the ebook version in the International shop for $12.

Why on earth don't publishers, even if it's different publishing houses, not realize that it's a pretty good idea to release at the same time, when the target groups are the same customers?
US Kindle owners will have to wait 6 months before they can buy the book, or go grab it somewhere else for the prize of a dodgy download. All because of, I don't know, I didn't fit into their release schedule?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
You could also buy the UK paperback. Sites like bookdepository.com have free shipping worldwide. Why limit yourself to only buying the ones published by the US publisher?

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

You could also buy the UK paperback. Sites like bookdepository.com have free shipping worldwide. Why limit yourself to only buying the ones published by the US publisher?

Bookdepository.com also cost like 33-55% more than a normal book shop.
Which brings the question how much you are prepared to pay for a book.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Cardiac posted:

Bookdepository.com also cost like 33-55% more than a normal book shop.
Which brings the question how much you are prepared to pay for a book.

I wish we had your bookshops over here! Book Depository or Ad Libris are almost always cheaper than local B&M or their online stores except in very rare circumstances.

Of course I do enjoy digging through used booksellers, that's something you can't do online and it's also dirt cheap.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Hedrigall posted:

If I still bought physical books, this geo-blocking thing would never be an issue. I have bought many books from Amazon US. You just need to be careful the total doesn't go beyond a certain limit, and you then don't get hit by import tax.
That's the only limit to physical goods.
I only mentioned the paperback version because up until perhaps a week ago, that version wasn't even listed on Amazon US and the hardback couldn't be pre-ordered either.
It's not even shown with a cover yet, that's how much the publisher wants to drum up interest in it.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Fart of Presto posted:

I just switched over and grabbed a couple of books.

Also bought Revenger by Alastair Reynolds as a Kindle book.
This is a perfect example of the hosed up publishing world: The paperback is only now available for pre-order to be released in the US in Feb. 2017, with no sign of the ebook version anywhere, while I can grab the ebook version in the International shop for $12.

Why on earth don't publishers, even if it's different publishing houses, not realize that it's a pretty good idea to release at the same time, when the target groups are the same customers?
US Kindle owners will have to wait 6 months before they can buy the book, or go grab it somewhere else for the prize of a dodgy download. All because of, I don't know, I didn't fit into their release schedule?

I wish they'd sort out international eBook pricing too. Like Russo's book Ship of Fools is $5.77 on Kindle published by Ace the US, but £12.99 published under the name Unto Leviathan by Orbit in the UK store. That really seems a bit much to me for a 15 year old, in print, book. One day I'll get around to picking up the paperback instead (second hand, cos it's £19 new on Amazon).

In what I've been reading news, I read Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky and enjoyed it enough that I followed it up with one of his fantasy novels, Spiderlight. Guy likes spiders it seems. I started out thinking CoT was a bit close to Verner Vinge's A Deepness in the Sky, but apart from featuring smart space spiders as the heroes of the story I think it distinguishes itself nicely from that book. I liked the ending, a bit telegraphed but it's a satisfying conclusion and an unusual take on the warlike humans encounter intelligent but primitive civilisation. The rise of spider technology and society was cool too. Spiderlight was a quick but fun read, again the big twist wasn't that surprising but he clearly enjoyed messing with the generic evil for evil's sake bad guy and unassailable rightness of goodies trope with a couple of pretty decent characters and entertaining setpieces.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

big scary monsters posted:

Thanks, picked up the Baxter and Abercrombie short story collections and the Elizabeth Bear book. Any other recommendations from that list?

Synners.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Antti posted:

I wish we had your bookshops over here! Book Depository or Ad Libris are almost always cheaper than local B&M or their online stores except in very rare circumstances.

Of course I do enjoy digging through used booksellers, that's something you can't do online and it's also dirt cheap.

Aren't you a Finn ?
They are not that cheap here in Sweden.
I saw Great Ordeal on bookdepository but it would be 33% more expensive than from where I preordered. Probably could get it even cheaper but :effort:
This is of course physical copy in large pocket size.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Cardiac posted:

Aren't you a Finn ?
They are not that cheap here in Sweden.
I saw Great Ordeal on bookdepository but it would be 33% more expensive than from where I preordered. Probably could get it even cheaper but :effort:
This is of course physical copy in large pocket size.

Yeah, I am. I don't know, maybe the Finnish market is particularly screwed because Adlibris is a Swedish company and usually cheaper than the locals. :v:

I also tend to shy away from preordering or buying very new titles.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Antti posted:

Yeah, I am. I don't know, maybe the Finnish market is particularly screwed because Adlibris is a Swedish company and usually cheaper than the locals. :v:

I also tend to shy away from preordering or buying very new titles.

I always preorder titles I want to read. Ask me about preordering ADWD in 2006 btw.:v:

Maybe check out sfbok.se for scifi/fantasy. As far as I know they deliver abroad. I have ordered books from them the last 15 years and they have never let me down.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Yeah, and looks like they ship for free if you buy for over 600 kronor, I'll give them a look next time I want something. Thanks!

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Hey guys, I've posted in here a few times before but I could use another list of recommendations. At this point, I'm down with traditional fantasy or sci fi. I've gotten really picky lately and am having a hard time finding a series I like. The longer the series and the more world building and that sort of thing the better. I don't really like series where the books are in some weird order or where a book's chapters actually go backward. This is my before bed time easy reading. I'll just list some stuff I liked. Robbin Hobbs Fitz Books, Peter Hamiltons space opera stuff, Honor Harrington(I know I know but I liked the world building and the spaceships), Alistair Reynolds, First Law,ASoIaF, I even like Forgotten Realms stuff. I had read the first book of Death's Gate cycle, and mostly enjoyed it but I'm not sure if I want to continue or not. I don't really like when you get a good series going and then it just randomly ditches a lot of characters for a while. I liked Wheel of Time even though it dragged a bit. I stopped off somewhere for some reason and it's a bit daunting trying to figure out where to get back into it. Maybe I'll read some summaries and figure it out in the future.

Didn't really dig Mistborn(Although I'm considering trying Stormlight), didn't like Belgariad because it felt too childish and PG rated and now I"m starting to draw a blank of other stuff I've read. I honestly have a hard time understanding why I do or don't like something myself so I know this post has probably got to be confusing. Either way, just some suggestionss of titles I can look into myself will help anyway, it's just getting an initial idea of what to look into that's the hard part. I actually had a text file of a bit of stuff suggested before but I lost it. I may go back through the thread a bit and look it up.

e: As I remember examples I'll edit them in.

I was digging the Black Company at first but the weird writing style eventually got on my nerves. Again, it's the sort of thing I have a hard time explaining.

I liked the first two books of The Expanse, I remember reading into the third and not getting into it but maybe I'll try again now that I know theres a few more after that out.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Sep 18, 2016

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Hey guys, I've posted in here a few times before but I could use another list of recommendations. At this point, I'm down with traditional fantasy or sci fi. I've gotten really picky lately and am having a hard time finding a series I like. The longer the series and the more world building and that sort of thing the better.

Off the top of my head, have you read Jim Butcher's Dresden Files? The first two books are a little rough (apparently the story is that Butcher wrote the first book as a writing exercise for a class and then got it published) but he grows as a writer pretty decently, and the series is about 14-15 books deep now with a ton of worldbuilding invested.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Ah forgot to mention I don't generally dig urban fantasy. At least it's not what I'm looking for right now, but I will look into it for future reads. I might not mind something like that to listen to at work on audiobook

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Have you tried The Malazan Book of The Fallen? It's very long and has good world building. I've been told it's reasonably similar to Black Company, though I've not actually read that so I can't compare writing styles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Yeah, it seems like it's really cool but I had a hard time getting into it. I had started with the first book and I think I got maybe halfway? It was a while ago. I do intend to give it a try again eventually as there aren't that many series that have a good amount of books and world building so highly rated.

What about Brent Week's Lightbringer? I had tried Night Angel a long while back and didn't really get into it.