Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Hagakure will always be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Tomorrow will give us the answer to one of the big questions of this series; who is the mastermind of this final killing game? So let's jot down our final thoughts on the matter before the big reveal.

My thought on the attacker/murder method is that the mastermind is using the brainwashing videos to make the victims either kill themselves or each other. After the participants are knocked out, the attacker is awakened, and Monokuma's voice-over draws their attention to the monitors. Then the brainwashing video plays and makes the attacker kill themselves.

Back when the LP of the first game was running, I used to list out the potential suspects before the trial began. So I'll go and do that again for old times' sake.

MAIN SUSPECTS:

Chisa: The biggest suspect for the identity of the mastermind. We saw her fall into despair in the Despair arc, and it appears that Munakata didn't suspect a thing until the final killing game. She easily could have planned the game under his nose, taking advantage of his trust in her. She also knew about the brainwashing videos that Junko had made and could have gained access to them.

The trouble is explaining how she was able to fake her death. The survivor count and the fact that Munakata stabbed her body makes it a bit trickier than the Mukuro/Junko switch was. The one way I can think of involves using the Make-Up Artist mentioned in Killer Killer to create a fake body (I recall it being said that something in the Killer Killer spinoff would be relevant to DR3). The trouble with that is that it's uncertain whether it would have fooled Kyoko. Maybe Chisa switched the fake body in after the third time limit had passed and Kyoko had already investigated the body.

(EDIT: Further evidence in favor of a body switch - the photos that Munakata found. If they were on the body when Kyoko searched it, she would have found them. I'm certain this would have affected her investigation.)

Ryota: There's still a lot that seems shady about Ryota. He's the one Future Foundation member left whose forbidden action is still unknown. Additionally, he was the last to show up at the meeting. Ryota would obviously have access to the brainwashing videos and techniques, since he was the one who invented them. And even though he seems to have escaped from Junko, it's possible his brief exposure to the brainwashing video and the trauma he experienced drove him to despair. Finally, there's his potential connection to Tengan. Tengan seemed to know way too much about the setup to be safe.

But is he really capable of implementing this despair plan on his own? He doesn't seem like the proactive type. Maybe Tengan was an accomplice, but it's hard to say at this moment.

Monaca: A distant third suspect behind Chisa and Ryota. Even though Monaca said she didn't know who the mastermind was, there's still the possibility that she was lying. The guards at the FF HQ and the real Miaya seemed to have been killed in a similar fashion. Plus there's the booby traps at the above-ground HQ and the rogue helicopter (though it's also possible that the pilot was brainwashed into firing at Hagakure). Finally, how did she get access to the NG Codes? Did she get them off the database, or did she have them all along?

OTHER SUSPECTS:

Nagito: A deadly game pitting hope against hope (possibly in the hopes of bringing about an even stronger hope) seems to fit Nagito's M.O. quite effectively. The only problem is explaining how he was able to both wake up from his coma and escape from Jabberwock Island. The former could be attributed to his luck, but the latter might be harder to explain. I don't think it's going to be Nagito, especially since we've learned so little about what's happening on Jabberwock Island.

Izuru: He's on Jabberwock Island, so he couldn't have set everything up. Plus, it's still unknown whether getting Hajime's memories back has changed him.

Chiaki: Unlikely. Even if she did survive, she was clinging to hope at the very end. I don't think she's capable of this.

Bandai: Bandai is suspicious simply because he didn't do anything before dying. While it would be a massive surprise if he turned out to be alive and the mastermind (simply because we'd been so focused on Chisa), he's gotten so little attention that it would serve as little more than a shocking twist.

Munakata: It seems unlikely that he's the mastermind simply because of his fall and recovery from despair. But there's still the question of what the purpose behind the fleet sent to Jabberwock Island was. Was he really the one behind the fleet? Or was it Chisa acting under his name? Or was it someone else?

Junko: Because it's always Junko. There is the possibility that, since this is the end of the Hope's Peak story, that they'll bring back Junko for one more go at the Ultimate Hope before she's vanquished for good. The trouble is figuring out a way to explain how she came back. There might be a second Junko AI laying around (according to the end of UDG), but I find that a little hard to swallow. I'm getting the implication that Izuru is no longer aligned with Junko, and that he had some other reason for plugging the Junko AI into the Neo World Program. A second Junko AI resurfacing would imply that Izuru was always on Junko's side.

Asahina: I think, judging from Hina's behavior so far, that the theory that she's been replaced by an imposter has been thoroughly debunked. Especially since she found the notebook. You could claim it's a fake, but I think it's a little too late in the game to introduce a phony notebook into the story.

These are all the plausible suspects, in my opinion. Everyone else seems too good or too dead to be viable. In my opinion, it has to be either Chisa or Ryota. They just seem to fit the best.

Wyvernil fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 18, 2016

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I wonder if Ryota's MG code is even that important considering munakata has a list of ng codes and he did not say any thing

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Wyvernil posted:

These are all the plausible suspects, in my opinion. Everyone else seems too good or too dead to be viable. In my opinion, it has to be either Chisa or Ryota. They just seem to fit the best.

I agree, but I assume that Tengan was involved with this as well. How else could he know that there are multiple attackers? Also, the mastermind doesn't have to still be alive - everything could be running on autopilot.

Of course, that leaves the question of who the 16th person is. While it is possible that it is Hiro all along and has just been there to make people speculate over an extra character, I think it is the second AI Junko. At the start of the game, Monokuma says to Makoto that this will be their final confrontation, and that makes me think that the Junko AI was the one saying it - no one else would have had a previous confrontation with Makoto. Also, as it was brought up in UDG, the second Junko AI has to be resolved in this anime, or else where would it show up again?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Wyvernil posted:

Tomorrow will give us the answer to one of the big questions of this series; who is the mastermind of this final killing game? So let's jot down our final thoughts on the matter before the big reveal.

Sounds like a fun idea. Here's some of my thoughts:

- You're probably right on about the attacker/murder method. The brainwashing methods didn't really work on Chisa and didn't really play into Class 77's fall into despair, so while they did get some use, they've still been too underutilized to be a major plotpoint. That'll probably come from them being the main method in Future.

- Chisa seems to be the most likely suspect for mastermind. She's fully in the despair mindset and has the perfect insider position at Future Foundation. However, I'm of the opinion that if she did set all this up, she actually didn't fake her death. The killing game seems to be set up in such a way that allows it to run completely autonomously - notice that Monokuma's been doing gently caress all after the opening. Is that because there's actually nobody there controlling him, maybe? Somebody in the despair mindset would think nothing of sacrificing themselves for the greater good of despair. Also, I think the mastermind turning out to be dead all along would be an interesting twist as far as subverting the "seeing the mastermind fall" thing that concluded the games so far.

- However, Nagito is my #1 pick for mastermind, based largely on everything feeling so right for his character. This is exactly the thing he would do. As for how he managed to get away from Jabberwock Island, I'm going to take the easiest option: He swam. Swam, fainted from exhaustion, and had himself wash ashore at just the right place because of his luck. It's a long shot, but I somehow feel that something like that would fit right in. Or maybe he used his connections with Monaca to get away. I'm still not 100% sure what the state of the working relation between the two is and how far Monaca would go to help him. I'm also not sure how involved Monaca is with the game overall, which could also be a monumental shift in possibilities for the mastermind. Maybe she actually was an accomplice after all?

- Ryota is a very strange case, since he wasn't actually brainwashed the way others were. He was instead broken from continued exposure to Junko and given one final push with their last confrontation we saw. It might just be that he actually ends up saving the day. I find it just as possible as him being the mastermind. No idea what to make of him.

So personally, I'm picking Nagito in my Despair Pool.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Obviously, it's the one person no one would suspect: Hiro!

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I forget, have we ever learned what Miaya's forbidden action was? There was that whole don't turn right thing but that was assumed to be a lie, right?

Wyvernil posted:

Chisa: The biggest suspect for the identity of the mastermind. We saw her fall into despair in the Despair arc, and it appears that Munakata didn't suspect a thing until the final killing game. She easily could have planned the game under his nose, taking advantage of his trust in her. She also knew about the brainwashing videos that Junko had made and could have gained access to them.

The trouble is explaining how she was able to fake her death. The survivor count and the fact that Munakata stabbed her body makes it a bit trickier than the Mukuro/Junko switch was. The one way I can think of involves using the Make-Up Artist mentioned in Killer Killer to create a fake body (I recall it being said that something in the Killer Killer spinoff would be relevant to DR3). The trouble with that is that it's uncertain whether it would have fooled Kyoko. Maybe Chisa switched the fake body in after the third time limit had passed and Kyoko had already investigated the body.

I'm still thinking that Chisa is the mastermind and actually straight-up killed herself to set things into motion. All the pieces for an automated killing game are in place so her being alive isn't necessary anyway and there's enough shenanigans with the survivor counter going on anyway that she is probably not included maybe.

BlazeEmblem posted:

At the start of the game, Monokuma says to Makoto that this will be their final confrontation, and that makes me think that the Junko AI was the one saying it - no one else would have had a previous confrontation with Makoto.

Naegi defeating Junko was live-broadcast across the world and everyone knows that Monokuma is basically the SHSL Despair mascot. Just about everyone could just put Monokuma on a monitor and have him taunt Naegi as a smokescreen for their real purpose. Considering Monokuma's conspicuous absence for the vast majority of this killing game and how hands-on Junko usually is under her Monokuma persona I assume that's just a red herring basically.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

a cartoon duck posted:

I forget, have we ever learned what Miaya's forbidden action was? There was that whole don't turn right thing but that was assumed to be a lie, right?

I think the idea is that her forbidden action actually was turning right, but since she's a robot, and therefore doesn't exhibit any vital signs, it doesn't trigger. I assume there would be some sort of thing in the bracelets that would only make them trigger if their wearer was actually alive.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Or it triggered but what's the bracelet gonna do, inject deadly neurotoxin into her circuits?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

a cartoon duck posted:

Or it triggered but what's the bracelet gonna do, inject deadly neurotoxin into her circuits?

I thought of that, but the bracelet plays a little jingle when it does, so somebody would have noticed. I guess maybe Monaca just triggered it when everybody was sleeping to make sure it wasn't going to cause any problems.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

voltcatfish posted:

I wonder if Ryota's MG code is even that important considering munakata has a list of ng codes and he did not say any thing

TheMcD posted:

I thought of that, but the bracelet plays a little jingle when it does, so somebody would have noticed. I guess maybe Monaca just triggered it when everybody was sleeping to make sure it wasn't going to cause any problems.

These were my assumptions as well.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

FPzero posted:

Obviously, it's the one person no one would suspect: Hiro!

I'm sorry, but the mastermind is clearly Hifumi Yamada

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

a cartoon duck posted:

I'm still thinking that Chisa is the mastermind and actually straight-up killed herself to set things into motion. All the pieces for an automated killing game are in place so her being alive isn't necessary anyway and there's enough shenanigans with the survivor counter going on anyway that she is probably not included maybe.

The trouble with theories that say "the mastermind is already dead and everything's automatic now" is that of narrative. Once Team Naegi has figured out how the killing game works, what's the final conflict? Just waiting through the next attack period with your eyes closed until Togami or the Class 77 kids can mount a rescue?

If the mastermind is not physically available for a final confrontation, there's three possibilities I can think of:

1. Another AI Junko or similar Alter Ego program running things.

2. The ex-Remnants of Despair have gone back to being despair and try to kill Naegi and friends.

3. One of Naegi's allies gets hit with the brainwashing and tries to kill him (Munakata because he's the strongest person left, or Hina for the drama).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Even if Monaca doesn't know who the mastermind is, she would either know the attacker, or if it was brainwashing, that that was the method used - being a robot, she wouldn't have been knocked out at all, and that's how she played the prank of the fake knife on Asahina. So she would definitely have seen how Gozu died.

I do hope that even if brainwashing wasn't the method, that they'll at least explain how the attacker worked, as otherwise there isn't an answer as to how Gozu and Ruruka died.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Slur posted:

I'm sorry, but the mastermind is clearly Hifumi Yamada

If the show pulled something like that I think I'd be okay with it because then I'd be free of the shackles holding me to this ridiculous series I can't stop enjoying by forcefully ejecting myself from it.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I don't want it to be the case, but I think we're getting Chisa as the mastermind. The show has played things pretty straight on Future in such a way that a last minute reveal for anyone else would be a pull. Personally, I want next episode to be all SDR 2 cast on Jabberwock then the last 5 minutes is ,"Hey I know who the mastermind is" right before everyone gets gassed and they wake up in a trial room and have to do a class trial versus the mastermind. I know that's just pandering to the Dangan Ronpa 1 ending, but I just would like for the series to end on a trial. I'd also be super into the idea that Nagito lucked his way off Jabberwock and is the mastermind in conjunction with Chisa.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

It does seem to be the right time for noting down favoured theories before tomorrow's ep, so I'll join in. At minimum I'll be able to look back and laugh at how wrong it is. It'll be good if the actual solution is a creative one that nobody's thought of yet.

I'll say that the mastermind is Yukizome and that Mitarai is an accomplice.

MOTIVE

Yukizome has a number of possible motives which appeal to me.

One is that she wants Munakata to despair and die. The game is set up to favour Munakata, so that he'll be alive close to the end. At or near the end of the game, Yukizome intends to reveal to Munakata that she's still alive, wanting him to choose to kill himself to activate her NG code. However, (and I haven't confirmed this bit for myself, just seen people mentioning it) because the name in Yukizome's NG code is actually a mis-spelling of Munakata's given name (or because she rigged it not to activate), that would be a trap she set for him and she wouldn't die. Yukizome could also resort to simply playing the despair-inducing video in order to control the movements of anyone else who might still be alive.

An alternative or additional motive could be that the DR3 killing game is being broadcast to Jabberwock Island, to lure in the ex-despairs of the 77th class, whom Yukizome wants to restore to despair. And another option could be that Yukizome wants to punish Naegi and Kirigiri for their part in curing the 77th class.

If someone other than Mitarai is the mastermind, it's not in any way necessary for Mitarai to be an accomplice, but I just like the theories I've seen that he is. If he was in Despair, it'd be easy to see a motive of him wanting to create an amazing Despair-inducing brainwashing video using the footage he recorded. But I prefer the theory that he's an unwilling accomplice who is being forced to activate the brainwashing monitors in order not to violate his NG code, which would have to be phrased in an innocuous way so that Munakata wouldn't instantly know what it meant just from seeing it on the list he got from Monaka/Gekkougahara-bot. This NG code could mean that Mitarai, inspired by Naegii's strength, will choose to die rather than to activate the monitors in the next sleep period.

An accomplice who would probably make more sense in a way would be Tengan, because the things he said were practically calculated to send Munakata on a murder spree, but I prefer to think that Tengan was just being amazingly stupid and/or hoping to test Munakata's character. I think Tengan wasn't an accomplice and that the "I entrust the hope of this world to you" message he left in blood was genuine and aimed at Mitarai, because Tengan had worked out that murders were happening via the monitor brainwashing and he knew that Mitarai is the absolute best choice of person to combat that, if only he can gather his courage. (And this goes regardless of what Mitarai's NG code is.)

METHOD

The killings are taking place via suicide-inducing brainwashing on the monitors. Ruruka was in such bad shape because she fought harder against the brainwashing than the others did, and tried to counteract it using her own sweets. The monitors being the method is the reason why Monaka/Gekkougahara-bot doesn't know who the attacker is.

It's not actually necessary for Yukizome to be alive unless she intends to pop out and bait Munakata into killing himself and by extension her via her NG code, so it's entirely possible she really is dead, but assuming she isn't, there are two possibilities.

One is that, initially, she was playing dead using some drugs she got from Seiko. At some point before Munakata came by to stab her, she woke up and replaced her "corpse" with a fake, which would be a dummy or an actual corpse disguised to look like her by the SHSL make up artist from Killer Killer. This seems reasonably tidy, except that it can't account for why the survivor counter went down by one. Somebody had to have died. For it to work, she has to do all that and also kill and hide the body of the sixteenth participant in the game. This is a bit of a mess, so it wouldn't be my top pick for a living Yukizome theory.

Another option is that the corpse was always a real corpse, but that it was the corpse of the SHSL make up artist, who was the sixteenth participant in the game and who had disguised herself as Yukizome prior to death. Yukizome actually just hid somewhere for the whole game so far. I like this option better.

Because the monitor theory seems as if it will probably be confirmed, there's no longer any particular reason why a Yukizome mastermind theory would require her to be disguised as Asahina. However, should the monitor theory turn out to be an elaborate fake-out, I'd lay bets that Asahina is tied up and hidden somewhere and Yukizome has taken her place.

CURRENT SURVIVORS

There has been a sixteenth person for the entire game, but it's also definite that in addition to them, one of the people who was thought to have died in episode 9 also has to be alive in order for the survivor counter to be accurate. I'm pretty sure that survivor is Kirigiri.

There are two ways that Kirigiri could have survived. The first is if the fourth time limit did pass, but she took the Cure W in the hope that it would prevent the poison from killing her. The second is if technically that was really the third time limit, and Kirigiri faked her death using Seiko's drug so that she could obtain information to aid her investigation. If it's the latter, then she's still in danger from the next time limit.

The sixteenth person's identity is a real headache. Putting the "Yukizome's corpse was the disguised make up artist" theory aside, there don't seem to be a lot of hints. It could even be we're being trolled and the sixteenth participant really is technically Hagakure. There is consistently one more person alive than we see wearing bracelets, but that doesn't mean that the actual sixteenth person is still alive, as they could have had their corpse substituted for someone else's.

One question I'm really stuck on is this: how is that Monaka didn't know who the culprit is, when she must have been awake when the FF members were moved into the underwater headquarters? I suppose there could be some sort of lift...but it's strange. Did she really not hear anything, and did she really not have the Gekkougahara-bot open its eyes to take a quick peek at what was going on?

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
I'm gonna go with my Tengan, Chisa and the real Miaya having planned this and the whole brainwashing to make people kill or commit suicide, maybe the Junko AI is involved but only because I think a final confrontation will happen and Junko is the only one that can make that happen.
Here are the main reason for each character:

Chisa: Since she was a Despair her motive is obvious, she is one person to plan this whole thing and wouldn't mind dying to make her plans happen, also she was one who knows about the brainwashing as people have mentioned. She probably was the one that mentioned making this game to the others and helped giving the idea about the brainwashing.

Tengan: Motive was trying to create a new Ultimate Hope using this despair situation and was probably promised that he wouldn't be killed or he though the game was fake because of the whole being to calm thing, another possible scenario is that he was in cahoots with Despair because in the Despair side it has been said that Junko migh have a accomplice in Hope's Peak to have created those huge rooms under the school. He was the one that helped in making the meeting of all the FF leaders and creating the building underwater.

Miaya: This one is the one I have most doubts about because I have no clue about a motive but the fact that the robot body had all the forbidden actions on it and the fact that all the FF characters besides Naegi's group weren't suprised that Miaya had a robot body makes me think the original one used that normally to go to meetings(because she was shy you see) so I don't think the robot body was something that Monaca created but something that she stole after killing the real one. If she is involved, the fact that the robot body had acess to the forbidden actions she was probably the one that created the whole forbidden actions and sleeping time rules and progamming the brainwashing in the tvs because she is the only FF member that looks like was good with technology because of working in the New World Program and creating a robot body.

Well the Tengan thing has been my theory since his talk with Munakata but the others are because of recent episodes but the Tengan thing I'm almost sure I'm right at least.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
The real Miaya being "evil" and in on the plan would also absolve Monaca of some things, which the ending of that episode still has me scratching my head some with Komaru wanting Monaca to come back one day and sounding positive about it when she did openly admit to killing Miaya.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
didn't all of the kids from udg kill a whole lot of people? plus, her best friend is a prolific serial killer.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Serious Frolicking posted:

didn't all of the kids from udg kill a whole lot of people? plus, her best friend is a prolific serial killer.

It's hard to say how culpable they are, 'cause while they're responsible for a lot of death they're also traumatized kids so it's a toss-up. Monaca at least was aware of the full implications of what she was doing though.

also since everyone's working hard to make theories, here's my dumbest possible outcome:

it's somehow junko again

the entire episode is just Naegi opening a door, seeing Junko just chilling there, and being like :ughh: for 20 minutes.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Yinlock posted:

It's hard to say how culpable they are, 'cause while they're responsible for a lot of death they're also traumatized kids so it's a toss-up. Monaca at least was aware of the full implications of what she was doing though.

also since everyone's working hard to make theories, here's my dumbest possible outcome:

it's somehow junko again

the entire episode is just Naegi opening a door, seeing Junko just chilling there, and being like :ughh: for 20 minutes.

i just don't see how it makes any difference that monaca killed miaya. a mass murderer killed someone with a name, is all.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Given Juzo and Munakata's lack of reaction to Robo-Miaya, I have to wonder if she was an invention of the original. It'd make sense given that every member of the FF is apparently some kind of SHSL Combat Specialist.

Except Ruruka and Ryouta, I guess.

Yinlock posted:

Me too, Naegi.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I want Junko mk3 to be true to turn this into the greatest comedy of all time.

COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

Im coming around on Monokuma's new voice.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I can't really get a handle on it because Monokuma has spoken all of 3 times I think?

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Wyvernil posted:

Tomorrow will give us the answer to one of the big questions of this series; who is the mastermind of this final killing game?

That's optimistic. Even assuming we aren't getting jerked around, Asahina only said she knew who the attacker was.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, it isn't like they will reveal it at only at the end of the final episode as a sequel hook.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Honestly I'm still on board with the theory that Chisa is the mastermind, killed herself and set the whole game to run automatically. The intention here is to decimate the Future Foundation and she has the most motive to do that. She knows all their weaknesses, their petty quarrels, and specialized the NG codes based on that. She knows about the brainwashing video and used it to turn whoever watched it into the Attacker of the time period, so that the game would go on even when she was dead.

The game will basically be beaten if no one watches the video and becomes brainwashed. However if every room has a monitor, then they will have to escape the arena before the next time period. It's like Asahina said earlier - this game is nothing like Junkos and they aren't bound to any rules. It makes sense that the arena was moved underwater to prevent anyone just busting down a wall and escaping.

Overall I feel like this theory makes the most sense with everything we've seen. And if Chisa does turn out to be alive, then it's obviously going to come to an end with Munakata killing himself to stop her. I don't think I would wholly like that though, because I think even Munakata deserves some redemption after Naegi's hope speech finally snapped him out of his craziness.

Anyway the only other option that could be plausible is Mitarai+Tengan, but honestly I hope that isn't the case. I'd rather this end with Mitarai learning how to be courageous and stronger, no longer living in fear of his past haunting him. I have a feeling this episode he'll have to fess up to Munakata that he assisted in the brainwashing video, and that Chisa was affected by it, but it will lead to a redemption.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

well, it isn't like they will reveal it at only at the end of the final episode as a sequel hook.

At this point I'm nearly convinced this is the case. There's no way everything is going to get resolved satisfactorily in two episodes on Future, and one in Despair.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the only reason i don't think it was chisa's posthumous murder game is that there would be nothing to resolve. no matter who (or what) the mastermind is, it has to be someone they can talk to. naegi can't preach about hope to a dead woman.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

FPzero posted:

At this point I'm nearly convinced this is the case. There's no way everything is going to get resolved satisfactorily in two episodes on Future, and one in Despair.

they don't have to resolve anything in despair, really. the ending of that story was known from the start.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

lotus circle posted:

The game will basically be beaten if no one watches the video and becomes brainwashed. However if every room has a monitor, then they will have to escape the arena before the next time period. It's like Asahina said earlier - this game is nothing like Junkos and they aren't bound to any rules. It makes sense that the arena was moved underwater to prevent anyone just busting down a wall and escaping.

Of course, the other way to win the game is to all go to one room, and then destroy the screen there. There is no rule about destroying anything like in the games, so why not break the screens?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

the only reason i don't think it was chisa's posthumous murder game is that there would be nothing to resolve. no matter who (or what) the mastermind is, it has to be someone they can talk to. naegi can't preach about hope to a dead woman.
He already preached about hope to Munakata, while the man was beating him bloody. I think we got our Obligatory Dangan Ronpa Hope Speech of the season with that.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

BlazeEmblem posted:

Of course, the other way to win the game is to all go to one room, and then destroy the screen there. There is no rule about destroying anything like in the games, so why not break the screens?
Hm...with that in mind: what if this is will be Mitarai's NG code? It makes perfect sense if you think about it. The one person who knows about the brainwashing video isn't allowed to deactivate any of the screens. He has no way of stopping the video he helped to create.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

they don't have to resolve anything in despair, really. the ending of that story was known from the start.

I liked Despair side but I liked Halo Reach's "from the beginning you know the end" story better.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

LostRook posted:

That's optimistic. Even assuming we aren't getting jerked around, Asahina only said she knew who the attacker was.

We've only got two episodes of Future arc left(plus one episode of Despair arc which will probably be used to set up for the finale of the Future arc). Exposing the mastermind is only half the battle; we'd still need to defeat them, plus find a way to escape.

I can almost guarantee that we'll know who the mastermind is by the end of the episode.

Now that Class 77 has fallen into despair, I think the main threads left to resolve in the Despair Arc are Izuru's motivations and Ryota and his role in the Future Foundation.

Wyvernil fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Sep 19, 2016

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

My guesses without explaining much would be

Chisa as the obvious one.

Tengan because of his speech to Munakata let alone the fact he's been keeping a lot secret during a death game. There's more but I'm tired and eh.

Junko AI because no seriously what happened to that second AI.

Also I'm sticking with the monitor theory I posted awhile back forcing a kill to happen.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

The mastermind will be revealed tomorrow, but rest assured whatever the answer is will probably be extremely stupid.

Please look forward to it. I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I've been hearing people talk about there being two Junko AIs. I'm assuming this has to do with Ultra Despair Girls, right?

I was under the impression that Shirokuma and Kurokuma were not two AIs, but two parts of the same whole.

• Locked thread