Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Race Realists posted:

is it cool if I crosspost this from the DE thread?

How does a movement of angry white racists try to reach out to other races, anyway? Outline the many ways they are inferior to white men and owe them everything, expecting the to bow before this "truth"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Geostomp posted:

How does a movement of angry white racists try to reach out to other races, anyway? Outline the many ways they are inferior to white men and owe them everything, expecting the to bow before this "truth"?

they arent racist and they dont hate they just want the right to exist and to preserve their own culture :v:

about an hour and 50 minutes into the video myself, and its a loving bummer seeing these relatively young people get caught up into this. they mention that the 4chan /pol/ shitposters dont represent them

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Would you go so far as to say the would like to secure this future for their white children.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Geostomp posted:

There's some thought among the far right that, in theory, black people, Muslims, etc are fine, as long as they live in their own countries completely cut off from the rest of the world. The idea being that, while not all cultures are equal (because whites are obviously superior), multiculturalism is worse than any one race living on its own, so it's harmless if all the subhumans nonwhites live elsewhere and have nothing to do with white people at all. So, they think they can appeal to nationalists of other races by promoting things like a modern-day Back-To-Africa movement.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Pakled posted:

There's some thought among the far right that, in theory, black people, Muslims, etc are fine, as long as they live in their own countries completely cut off from the rest of the world. The idea being that, while not all cultures are equal (because whites are obviously superior), multiculturalism is worse than any one race living on its own, so it's harmless if all the subhumans nonwhites live elsewhere and have nothing to do with white people at all. So, they think they can appeal to nationalists of other races by promoting things like a modern-day Back-To-Africa movement.

EAST ASIAN culture is superior because iq scores and not because i furiously jerk it to anime or anything :v:

also THOSE PEOPLE are the real racists

all bullshitting aside, as more and more immigrants come into europe and as "whites" become a minority, as more alt-right's manage to get into positions of power, i have a feeling im going to start seeing poo poo that i thought id never see come back in my lifetime.

its loving chilling to think about

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 17, 2016

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Race Realists posted:

all bullshitting aside, as more and more immigrants come into europe and as "whites" become a minority, as more alt-right's manage to get into positions of power, i have a feeling im going to start seeing poo poo that i thought id never see come back in my lifetime.

Uh... What's the deal with people constantly using completely false right-wing propaganda to make bizzare technically-not-right-wing points? You are vastly, vaaaaastly overestimating immigration to Europe.

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.
So what happens to mixed-race people in this alt-right fantasy scenario? Do they get chopped into proportionate pieces which are mailed to their respective ethno-states, or... actually, I have a feeling it's something that leads to the same result.

Polybius91 fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Sep 17, 2016

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Polybius91 posted:

So what happens to mixed-race people in this alt-right fantasy scenario? Do they get chopped int proportionate pieces which are mailed to their respective ethno-states, or... actually, I have a feeling it's something that leads to the same result.

I presume you've heard of the one-drop rule.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Polybius91 posted:

So what happens to mixed-race people in this alt-right fantasy scenario? Do they get chopped into proportionate pieces which are mailed to their respective ethno-states, or... actually, I have a feeling it's something that leads to the same result.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pencil_test_(South_Africa)

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

This is the most appalling and flat out dumbest racial test I've ever read about.

What degrading bulltshit.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Pakled posted:

Ah. They're okay with filthy subhumans existing so long as they go far away and leave the place they live for them alone. I don't suppose they go for the Back to Europe movement so Native Americans can have their homeland, do they?

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Geostomp posted:

Ah. They're okay with filthy subhumans existing so long as they go far away and leave the place they live for them alone. I don't suppose they go for the Back to Europe movement so Native Americans can have their homeland, do they?

Their ancestors build this country by slaughtering the natives

It's theirs by birthright!

my dad posted:

Uh... What's the deal with people constantly using completely false right-wing propaganda to make bizzare technically-not-right-wing points? You are vastly, vaaaaastly overestimating immigration to Europe.

I keep think back to a few years ago when the Voting Rights Act got gutted. Now all I see is widespread accounts of voter suppression in mostly southern rural areas in America

I try my level best not to make slippery slope arguments, but it's hard not to go :tinfoil: over all this sometimes

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 17, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pakled posted:

Crossposting from UKMT:

That's the leader of the American Nazi Party attending a conference where Malcolm X was speaking, because they agreed with him.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Race Realists posted:

I keep think back to a few years ago when the Voting Rights Act got gutted. Now all I see is widespread accounts of voter suppression in mostly southern rural areas in America

I try my level best not to make slippery slope arguments, but it's hard not to go :tinfoil: over all this sometimes

I'm not arguing that violent anti-immigrant right-wing rhetoric isn't on the rise in Europe, because it is, dangerously so.

I'm arguing that even with the Levantine catastrophe and the resulting flood of refugees, the total number of immigrants in Europe is really drat low in comparison to total population. And pardon my bluntness, but even with the number of people coming in from Syria, there's only so many people who can show up before Syria runs out of people. It is very much a right-wing bullshit talking point that this is something that is going to completely overwhelm local populations and turn them into a minority, and it propagates to the idea that the refugees are an endless swarm of barbarians who only exist to produce a bunch of religiously indoctrinated male children to ship off elsewhere.

my dad fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 17, 2016

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
In my personal experience during my time as a Narrativist, there are moments when you get hit with a stunning burst of Narrative Dysphoria. That is to say that some element of your Inner Narrative is publicly and profoundly dis-proven. This experience is akin to an identity crises to a Narrativist and is incredibly unpleasent. It often leaves the Narrativist with only two options, either to (A) begin the process of shedding their Inner Narrative and leaving their delusions behind, or (B) retreating even deeper into the Inner Narrative, embracing it publicly, and pretending the burst of Narrative Dysphoria never happened. A surprising number of Narrativists will take option A in that situation (I have personally known over a dozen Narrativists that deprogrammed themselves over a period of years), but the majority will take option B.

If however this burst of Narrative Dysphoria occurs at the same time that the Narrativist is on the losing end of a Compaction Cycle, then the ratios actually reverse a bit. More Narrativists will choose to leave behind the Inner Narrative than continue to cling to it in that particular situation. In my experience having a group of deluded morons that you thought were your friends throw you out of their weird little group over some imaginary bullshit is enough to snap most Narrativists out of it.

It is not however, enough to snap every Narrativist out of it. Some Narrativists in that situation (burst of Narrative Dysphoria+losing end of a Compaction Cycle) will retreat deep, deep into the protective delusions of their Inner Narrative. In this state they will publicly lose touch with reality while beginning to speak as if some momentous event is imminent. They will become convinced that themselves and those they identify as their own are about to play a vital role in some earth changing drama. When a Narrativist takes that option, it looks a bit like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ONg7Qz7pTU

Keep an eye on Glenn here, this is a nasty road to walk down with the public glare on you. I almost feel a twinge of sympathy for him, having walked down that particular path once myself. (It doesn't lead to any place that you want caught on video.)

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 18, 2016

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Prester Jane posted:

It is not however, enough to snap every Narrativist out of it. Some Narrativists in that situation (burst of Narrative Dysphoria+losing end of a Compaction Cycle) will retreat deep, deep into the protective delusions of their Inner Narrative. In this state they will publicly lose touch with reality while beginning to speak as if some momentous event is imminent. They will become convinced that themselves and those they identify as their own are about to play a vital role in some earth changing drama. When a Narrativist takes that option, it looks a bit like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ONg7Qz7pTU

Keep an eye on Glenn here, this is a nasty road to walk down with the public glare on you. I almost feel a twinge of sympathy for him, having walked down that particular path once myself. (It doesn't lead to any place that you want caught on video.)
How does this fit in with Beck's recent public (apparent) change of heart about some of the more horrible things he's thought in the past? e.g. saying that "Black Lives Matter has a point you guys"? Is he trying to redeem himself? If so, in the eyes of whom?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

OwlFancier posted:

Crossposting from UKMT:

That's the leader of the American Nazi Party attending a conference where Malcolm X was speaking, because they agreed with him.

This is very much a thing. My (neo-nazi, Holocaust denier) father used to tell a story, which to him represented a great success, where he was speaking before a mostly-black audience and gave his whole spiel about how white people should intermarry and live with white people, and black people with black people, and a black woman in the audience stood up and exclaimed "That's just what my grandma used to say!"

Similarly one of the only people who was willing to sit down and have a conversation with him among my mother's co-workers was a black professor, I think of sociology, who was sympathetic to black nationalist movements. He still disagreed with him about almost everything, of course, but most of the rest of the faculty wouldn't have even spoken to him.

Don't underestimate people's tendency to want to see themselves as the good guys; it may be delusional but it can lead them to make unexpected compromises or alliances as they work out systems of self-justification.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This is very much a thing. My (neo-nazi, Holocaust denier) father used to tell a story, which to him represented a great success, where he was speaking before a mostly-black audience and gave his whole spiel about how white people should intermarry and live with white people, and black people with black people, and a black woman in the audience stood up and exclaimed "That's just what my grandma used to say!"

Similarly one of the only people who was willing to sit down and have a conversation with him among my mother's co-workers was a black professor, I think of sociology, who was sympathetic to black nationalist movements. He still disagreed with him about almost everything, of course, but most of the rest of the faculty wouldn't have even spoken to him.

Don't underestimate people's tendency to want to see themselves as the good guys; it may be delusional but it can lead them to make unexpected compromises or alliances as they work out systems of self-justification.

Do I want to ask how your mother ended up with someone like that? Also, how did you turn out ok?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Defenestration posted:

If so, in the eyes of whom?

Glenn Beck is an adult convert to Mormomisn. Adult converts to anything tend to go all in. I think he thinks of himself as a prophet.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It doesn't strike me as a particularly strange alliance. Black nationalism was heavily rooted in Nation of Islam thought at the time, which said whites were inherently evil and thus to be avoided. The only practical implementations of such would be a "Back to Africa" movement and/or seeking a nation within the current borders of America, like the Mississippi Delta proposal. American Nazis are in a similar situation; they can't exactly (and don't necessarily wish to) just genocide all the various groups they'd rather not live amongst, so any that want to leave multicultural society on their own become natural allies.

You see a similar thing with anti-Asian racists not particularly minding Japan, since Japan is so insular. It's a phenomenon where narrativists subscribing to slightly different narratives find the things they agree on and work together to achieve them; simple politics.

Plus, I've joked before that of course white and black nationalists have plenty of common ground in divvying up North America; it's not like the land belongs to either anyway. The Mississippi Delta proposal and so on is "playing with house money" as it were.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

It's a little more complicated than that. IIRC some people within the civil rights movement preferred dealing with open racists and Nazis among white Americans because they were honest about their beliefs - a much larger group of whites may not have been openly hostile to the civil rights movement but represented a critical mass of indifference/low-level hostility by which the status quo could endure.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

the jizz taxi posted:

It's a little more complicated than that. IIRC some people within the civil rights movement preferred dealing with open racists and Nazis among white Americans because they were honest about their beliefs - a much larger group of whites may not have been openly hostile to the civil rights movement but represented a critical mass of indifference/low-level hostility by which the status quo could endure.

Martin Luther King posted:

I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season."
Shallow understanding from people of goodwill is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection."

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Defenestration posted:

How does this fit in with Beck's recent public (apparent) change of heart about some of the more horrible things he's thought in the past? e.g. saying that "Black Lives Matter has a point you guys"? Is he trying to redeem himself? If so, in the eyes of whom?

The convenient change of heart that Beck has had towards BLM and the like is more a cynical ploy to shore up his sagging audience numbers than anything else. Beck is trying to sound mature and reasonable in a bid to appeal to the portion of conservatives that are quietly horrified at what has occurred here. Let me explain in a bit more detail.

Glenn Beck is a Narrativist true believer, one that has bought into his personal Inner Narrative so deeply thaqt he can justify almost anything to himself so long as he believes it is in accordance with serving the goals of his Inner Narrative. So Beck is knowingly a manipulative figure in the Conservative movement, but one who despite that believes himself to be a good person doing hard things in service of the greater good. Prior to the appearance of Trump on the scene Beck had carved a powerful niche out for himself as a fringey truth-sayer who had no fear of speaking truth to power. Beck had accomplished this goal largely by putting forth Outer Narrative's that were (generally speaking) somewhat more Compacted than broader Right Wing Media was.

Please allow me to take a moment to explain the concept of Compacted here. Remember that being a part of a Compaction Cycle (prevailing or defeated, side does not matter) is a stressful experience that drives the Narrativist deeper into their Inner Narrative. This causes the Narrativist to develop their Inner Narrative into a more complex/complete form. As a Narrativist invests themselves more and more into developing their Inner Narrative the familiar 4-tiered format of the Grand Narrative (God-Force, The Chosen, The Sheep, The Enemy) will inevitably appear. Think of the Grand Narrative as a sort of basic format that the Inner Narrative will take, a set of hooks that you could hang any Inner Narrative on. So the more Compaction Cycles a Narrativist experiences, the more developed their Inner Narrative becomes, which inevitably leads to the Inner Narrative conforming more and more with the basic framework of the Grand Narrative. As the conceptual confines of the Grand Narrative are embraced, the Narrativist is compelled to more extreme forms of anti-social behavior, until at the highest levels the Narrativist feels morally justified in committing acts of violence. Think of Compaction as a scale from 1-10, with 1 being the lowest level of Compaction and 10 being the point at which there is a strong compulsion to engage in acts of violence. As a Narrativist experiences more Compaction Cycles, the Compaction of their Inner Narrative increases. Put a Narrativist through enough Compaction Cycles and eventually they will experience a strong compulsion to commit acts of violence.

I must specify here that just because a Narrativist reaches a 10 on my hypothetical scale it does not mean they will become violent, rather it means that they feel morally justified and obligated to commit acts of violence. Whether they engage in those acts depends mostly on a combination of two factions: 1.) how much social stability is there in the community in which the Narrativist resides, and 2.) how much encouragement the Narrativist is receiving from communicating with other Narrativists who are at a similar level of Compaction. The fewer the total number of Narrativists in society means more Compaction Cycles are required before a lone Narrativist reaches a sufficient level of Compaction where violent behavior becomes a serious possibility. Similarly the better the social stability the Narrativist experiences in their environment the greater the number of Compaction Cycles are required before violent behavior becomes a serious risk. On the flip side of this the more Narrativists you have and the lower the social stability they experience the fewer overall Compaction Cycles that are required before violent behavior becomes a serious possibility. Put enough Narrativists experiencing Compaction Cycles into a low social stability situation (say hypothetically the Middle East) and violent behavior becomes an inevitability, as does the appearance of Narrativist groups who unite around a messianic figure that manages to satisfy the Inner Narratives of his adherents. Thus in a stable society with few Narrativists you only rarely see a Narrativist reach sufficient Compaction to become violent, such individuals being seemingly random with nothing in common save bizarre beliefs and a history of being rejected (losing side of Compaction Cycles) from various groups. (I am arguing that the "lone nut" type suggested here is the result of a Narrativist that is also socially dysfunctional being repeatedly Compacted out of groups until as a result of embracing thier Inner Narrative ever more deeply they become violent.) Conversely in large swaths of the Middle East you get no end of violent Narrativist groups cropping up constantly as a result of existing conditions which favor both Compaction and the development of large numbers of resident Narrativists.

**As an aside, in light of this analysis I would like to make a quick note on my prediction of violence in the wake of Trump losing the Presidency. My current conclusion is that the United States at present has high social stability along with high numbers of Narrativists sufficiently Compacted to feel compelled to engage in acts of violence. As a result of this mix I expect few overall numbers of actually violent Narrativists to appear, perhaps a few thousand at absolute most but probably not more than 500 or so total. I expect that the numbers of potentially violent Narrativists will deteriorate rapidly once a few more humiliating losses ala Malheur have occurred.

So to summarize then, Compaction is the process via which Inner Narratives gradually evolve into a form that justifies violence, and the Compaction Cycle is what drives the development of an Inner Narrative. Additionally, as an Inner Narrative becomes more Compacted the structural format of the Grand Narrative becomes more readily apparent.

Returning finally to our good friend Glenn Beck, he had carved out a niche for himself as a fringe truth teller by offering Outer Narratives that were generally more Compacted than what was available in broader Right Wing Media. However, as a result of the massive Compaction Cycles that are driving Trumpism, Glenn Beck is actually offering Outer Narratives that are generally less Compacted than what is available in broader Right Wing Media. So now Beck is trying to appeal to the disenfranchised moderates who have been left behind by the wave of ever rising Compaction that is sweeping through the Conservative base at present.

Basically Beck is trying to expand his audience and because he can't do so by offering Outer Narrative's that are more extreme than the average he is trying to attract new listeners by offerieng Outer Narrative's that are less extreme than Trumpism.

TLDR: Its a cynical ploy, but the context around the cynical ploy makes it interesting.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Beck has been falling out of favor among wingnuts for a while, so he really thinks that this weak act will bring in the ones swept up in Trumpmentum without actually believing in it back after he falls?

What I want to know is after the glorious Orange One fails, will his jilted supporters be ready to line up behind someone less horrible? I mean, they'll have an obvious evil liberal enemy to rage at and a "stolen" election to avenge, but I can't see them wanting to return to something less blatantly authoritarian than Trump's preaching.

When you get oppressed by the "reasonable" white people as much as the monsters, I can see how the honesty of their hostility would be almost refreshing.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Prester Jane posted:

(I am arguing that the "lone nut" type suggested here is the result of a Narrativist that is also socially dysfunctional being repeatedly Compacted out of groups until as a result of embracing thier Inner Narrative ever more deeply they become violent.)

If I'm understanding you correctly, then Narrativists who experience a sufficient number of compaction cycles (whether they remain in the in-group or get kicked out) pretty much always wind up with the potential to become violent nutjobs unless something breaks the spell.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
I wanted to pull up this old post from March of 2015 where I first tried to describe and predict the eventual outcome of the current Narrative Convergence. I feel that we are at present very close to the predicted endpoint of the four Narrativist Clusters all believing that we are on the verge of civil war. This idea of being on the verge of pending violence is being discussed quite widely in Narrativist circles at present, as I will demonstrate shortly. ****(Note: This post originates from when I was still using "Authoritarians" instead of the now accepted "Narrativist".)

Prester Jane posted:

I think so, yes. At least, once I have been able to fully articulate my ideas, I think they predict trends fairly well. Let us consider for a moment "Narrative Convergence" and the Inner Narrative of several easily identified Authoritarian group clusters. (Obviously there are exceptions to every group cluster, these are broad trends, not perfect descriptions of every single person involved in such groups.) I feel that once the Inner Narrative's of various groups are understood it becomes very easy to see where common ground will be found between these groups. Through the Compaction Cycle as well as the need for allies, alliances will be forged as Narrative's Converge around the outlines of the Grand Narrative.

* Note, not every Authoritarian group worth mentioning is listed here. There are some notable hybrids such as Preppers that do not fit cleanly into these group clusters.

Religious Authoritarians Cluster: (Southern Baptists, Independent Baptists, Evangelicals, Fundamentalists, Non-Denominational, Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, etc)
  • "We are a tiny minority fighting against a world controlled by Satan."
  • "The government is used by Satan as a proxy against us."
  • "Yahweh will destroy the country soon if we do not follow his commandments."
  • "The world would be paradise if all non believers were either converted or destroyed."
  • "We possess the only true source of morality."
  • "We are on the verge of the apocalypse."

Economic Authoritarians Cluster (Libertarians, Objectivists, "End The Fed" types, "gently caress You Got Mine" types, substantial portion of the Tea Party, etc.)
  • "We are a tiny minority fighting against a world controlled by ignorance of Free Market principles."
  • "Government Regulations and Fiat Currency are used by the Government as a proxy against us."
  • "The Free Market will destroy the Country soon if we do not adhere to its principles."
  • "The World would be paradise if all regulations were destroyed."
  • "We possess the only the source of morality."
  • "We are on the verge of an economic collapse."

Paranoid Authoritarians Cluster: (9-11 Truthers, various Conspiracy Theorists, UFO nuts, Militia Movement, Occultists, etc)
  • "We are a tiny minority fighting against a world controlled by the Illuminati."
  • "The US Government is used by the Illuminati as a proxy against us."
  • "The illuminati will destroy almost all of the human population soon if we do not resist them."
  • "The World would be paradise if the Illuminati were destroyed."
  • "We are on the verge of the Illuminati collapsing the world on purpose."

Racist Authoritarians Cluster (KKK, Neo-Nazis', Stormfront, substantial portion of the Tea Party, Freep, etc)
  • "We are a tiny minority fighting against a world controlled by race traitors."
  • "The Us Government is used by the race traitors as a proxy against us."
  • "*Insert Minority Here* will kill whitey if we do not stop them."
  • "The World would be paradise if *Insert Minority Here* were destroyed."
  • "We are on the verge of RaHoWa (Racial Holy War)".

Looking at all these Inner Narrative's, and knowing that because of the Compaction cycle as well as the culture wars in general, these groups are all talking to each other in a way they have not really done so before. They are reaching out and finding areas of agreement. Authoritarians are really just different factions of a united group, and they are starting to think of themselves as different tribes united in purpose against a common mortal threat. With that in mind let me summarize where the Narrative Convergence is likely to eventually settle. (This assumes that nothing happens to interrupt the Narrative Convergence. Some sort of interruption in this cycle is possible, although it is difficult to conceive of a plausible scenario where that occurs right now short of something fantastic and random like a meteor impact.)

Projected Inner Narrative of all groups:
  • "We are a tiny minority (representing a silent majority) fighting against a world controlled by evil."
  • "The Us Government is used by the evil ones as a proxy against us."
  • "We will all be destroyed if we do not rise up."
  • "The World would be paradise if the evil ones (and their proxy the US government) were destroyed."
  • "We are on the verge of a 2nd Civil War."

The idea I was trying to communicate with the above was that the various Narrativist Clusters would all eventually agree with each other on certain themes filling a specific "Good vs Evil" format, this agreement with each other being the result of Narrativists reaching out to each other through the intentional construction of new Outer Narrative's designed to appeal to other Narrativists, a phenomenon that occurs en mass in Narrativist Clusters when their is a perceived threat to the Narrative itself in conjunction with an ongoing state of Narrative Dysphoria (which itself is the driving force behind Compaction Cycles).

To better communicate what I was trying to communicate at the time I wrote the above I will use some of the terminology I have invented since then to describe the situation that existed at that point in time. The most important thing to keep in mind is that I wrote this about 3 months prior to the Obergefell decision, so let me summarize the situation with regards to the state of the four Narrativist Clusters at that point in time. All four of the Narrativist Clusters were in a state of prolonged Narrative Dysphoria more or less as a result of Barack Obama turning out to be a pretty decent President. Whether it was the Racist Cluster (obvious reasons), the Economic Cluster (the economy improved substantially), the Paranoid Cluster (Obama never enacted Agenda 21) or the Religious Cluster (steady loss of the culture wars), each of them had a reason to feel that their Inner Narrative was in conflict with observable reality. As you recall, Narrative Dysphoria is what I call the stress caused by the cognitive dissonance a Narrativist experiences when their Inner Narrative conflicts with observable reality, and it is this conflict (specifically its psychological need for resolution) that is the driving force behind Compaction Cycles. So as a result of a prolonged state of Narrative Dysphoria, the four Narrativist Clusters in the United States were already experiencing observable broad spectrum Compaction Cycles.

Into this volatile mix a sudden shock of severe Narrative Dysphoria was about to introduced into the Religious Cluster via the Obergefell decision. Since the legalization of Gay Marriage has for decades been associated in the minds of Religious Cluster Narrativists with a 100% sign of the impending end times, the Obergefell decision represented an outsized burst of Narrative Dysphoria. Not just the decision itself would generate Narrative Dysphoria by revealing to the Religious Cluster just how profoundly it had lost the culture wars, but most importantly the lack of God actually showing his displeasure by judging America in some way/the end times actually starting represented an ongoing threat to the validity of the Inner Narrative of much of the Religious Cluster. After all if God won;t show himself in the face of this kind of blatant defiance of His Perfect Will, then perhaps he really does not exist.... When I wrote teh above I expected that rather than face the painful introspection necessary to realize that you have been duped by shysters looking to manipulate you, the Religious Cluster would react in the collective by constructing new apocalupse themed Outer Narratives to attract more Narrativists to their cause. I believed that this would resonate with the other Clusters because of their ongoing Narrative Dysphoria, giving the most Compacted Narrativists an outsized voice and enabling them to drive Compaction Cycles at an accelerated rate within their respective Cluster groups. I called this collective process of Compacting "Narrative Convergence", as I anticipated that as (explained above) more Compaction Cycles occurred, the outlines of the Grand Narrative would become more readily apparent as well as the four Clusters shifting their Outer Narratives to be ever more reflective of larger numbers of Narrativists reaching sufficient Compaction whereby they feel compelled to commit violent acts.

In short I expected the Religious Cluster to react to Obergefell with a burst of new Apocalypse themed Outer Narratives that would resonate within the other three clusters, driving all the Clusters towards greater Compaction. As luck would have it this entire process was amplified by the reaction to the Charlotte shootings, the taking down of the Confederate Flag represented a shock of Narrative Dysphoria to the Inner Narrative of the racist Cluster resulting in two separate Clusters suddenly upping their output of apocalypse themed Outer Narrative's. This had the overall effect of increasing the impact this ahd on the other two Clusters, which in turn has directly fed into the rise of Trumpism.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Hello Sailor posted:

If I'm understanding you correctly, then Narrativists who experience a sufficient number of compaction cycles (whether they remain in the in-group or get kicked out) pretty much always wind up with the potential to become violent nutjobs unless something breaks the spell.

That is correct, a Compaction Cycle drives both sides to more closely embrace their Inner Narrative as a way of resolving any negative feelings over what they just participated in. As a result both sides become a little bit more extreme (or Compacted) every time they participate in a Compaction Cycle. For certain individuals (ala David Fry) you could consider them SuperCompactors, and they are individuals whom are Narrativists in addition to having some sort of social dysfunction. When they join a Narrativist Group they often find themselves on the losing end of a Compaction Cycle because of their erratic behavior. (Behavior which is often a mixture of regular douchebaggery in conjunction with taking their Inner Narrative really seriously and trying to live it out in ways that make even other Narrativists uncomfortable.) A SuperCompactor then is the Narrativist type most likely to become violent in an environment with relatively strong social stability. Note: Most SuperCompactors do not become violent in a society that is as as stable as the US is, but they do represent an ongoing potential for violence once they have reached a certain level of Compaction.

For what its worth, I would have been a SuperCompactor during my time as a Narrativist. My combination of Narrativism and undiagnosed schizophrenia caused me yo embrace my Inner Narrative in a way that made even other Narrativists uncomfortable, often resulting in my being forced out of a Narrativist group. (I was often pushing these groups towards more extreme public displays of our collective Inner Narrative than they were comfortable with.) Whenever this happened I would justify it somehow through my Inner Narrative, become even more deeply entrenched in my fantasies, and eventually find another Narrativist group (often one even more Compacted than the last) to join. The cycle would then rinse and repeat. As a result I become more Compacted, while also participating in increasing the overall Compaction of the Narrativist groups that forced me out because of my behavior.

In my own personal case it was when I had reached the level of Compaction where violent actions felt justified that it served as a sort of wake up call and I checked myself into treatment and disconnected myself from all Narrativist media outlets like Prison Planet.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Good to have you back, Prester Jane :unsmith:

Also if you ever do collect these musings for a book or something, I would suggest culling the Capital Letter Terms, it can be hard to keep track of all of them and it makes it seem like you're talking in code sometimes.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

ManlyGrunting posted:

Good to have you back, Prester Jane :unsmith:

Also if you ever do collect these musings for a book or something, I would suggest culling the Capital Letter Terms, it can be hard to keep track of all of them and it makes it seem like you're talking in code sometimes.

In the rewrite I am working on (that I intend to publish as a blog) it is presentlyu structured in such a way that it defines each yrtm and gives a detailed discussion of its meaning and (whereever possible) video examples of what I am talking about. After that though it drops the custom of always capitalizing my terms so instead of "Compaction Cycle" I just simply write "compaction cycle", I am hoping that will break up some of the codelike qualities of my writing. Hopefully I can avoid coming off as a political version of the Hypercube guy.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Jack Gladney posted:

Do I want to ask how your mother ended up with someone like that? Also, how did you turn out ok?

I've never been able to get a solid handle on what she actually believes politically, to be honest.

As to your second question -- slowly, painfully, and some people might say not okay enough. :v: I'm not a nazi and I describe myself as left wing or a socialist when asked, but a lot of my secondary assumptions about media and culture and so on are colored by how I was raised; even an inversion or refusal of old beliefs are still affected by them.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
In light of what I have discussed in the last few posts I would like to now post this video of sitting GOP Governor Matt Bevin. It is my contention that what we are seeing here is a result of the circle that Bevin runs in being overrun by sufficiently Compacted Narrativists that he now feels secure in discussing the violence his Inner Narrative is calling for in such a thinly veiled method. Bevin is responding to his perception of the general mood of the country, a perception created by immersing yourself in Narrativist dominated circles if a very high Compaction level. As a result Bevin thinls he is speaking real truth that will seem prophetic very shortly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlukBB3Hn1g

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The compaction cycle to violence ratio interests me. A couple of historians of the Einzsatzgruppen used criminologist Lonnie Athens theory of violent socialisation (which he called violentization) to try to explain why they were made up of ordinary police squads, and it's interesting to speculate how that socialisation might accelerate or promote more/faster compaction cycles, or even create new Narrativists by association. One of the curiosities of the subject is how frequently perpetrators claimed that it was some kind of 'phase' and they no longer believed the same things or portrayed their involvement as just a job, and other similar things, just like Outer and Inner Narratives.

Another point of interest about violentization are those psychological steps of justification being about protection of oneself or loved ones as a qualification for violent performance, and how that relates to compaction and the cognitive dissonance driving it.

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

I've been having real awful dreams about giant apocalyptic machinery
just mowing us all down...
What a relief it is to see new posts in the thread and it's actually PJ, and not some dimbulb with their leg caught in a Fishmech argument.

I don't want to put you on the spot PJ, but fwiw what do you think will happen when Trump loses the election? How long can these compaction cycles sustain themselves?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Why do Narrativists need to appeal to others by changing the outer narrative at all?

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

I don't think they intend the outer narratives to appeal to anyone, or even to stand up to examination at all. They use them more as a shield to brush off anyone who doesn't "get it", and/or as a dog-whistle to others of like mind.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Facehammer posted:

I don't think they intend the outer narratives to appeal to anyone, or even to stand up to examination at all. They use them more as a shield to brush off anyone who doesn't "get it", and/or as a dog-whistle to others of like mind.

Well, to an extent "intent" is irrelevant with folks caught up in all this; these aren't consciously deliberated positions, they're sets of primal reactions strung together with ideology.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

VanSandman posted:

Why do Narrativists need to appeal to others by changing the outer narrative at all?
It depends on whether the group is isolationist and "just wants to be left alone" to persecute dissenters within their sphere of influence, or if they want to expand that sphere of influence.

Plus, the outside world is going to intrude on you at some point--a dramatic example being the Little Rock Crisis. When incidents like that eventually occur, no one is going to have sympathy for you if you say "segregation now, segregation tomorrow, segregation forever." So you have to employ an shifting series of euphemisms complaining about Big Government.

Also, I think a lot of things that end up being incorporated into the dirty, sticky membrane of the Outer Narrative are not things that Narrativists came up with themselves, but memes that were aimed at them by somewhat more rational people who wanted to court them. "Welfare queen," for example. I don't think Southern racists learned to disguise racism with a veneer of libertarianism themselves.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

VanSandman posted:

Sometimes Narrativists have narcissist tendencies or similar emotional dependencies, so changing that outer narrative helps them get the validation/adulation/agreement they need. Other times the outer narrative is a layer of lubrication between their inner narrative and reality, so adjustments allow them to keep telling themselves they are still doing the right thing. It's not always for "public consumption" as it were.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also humans crave validation, even ones with severely abnormal ways of thinking.

efb ^

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
Here's a question I've been wondering lately: Is narrativism anti-democratic, or is democracy anti-narrativist?

Like, I don't doubt there was once a point in history when compaction cycles were the path to power in lots of instances, but compaction cycles only work by immediately shedding anywhere from 20 to 50% of your total group size. You might gets lots of power and assurance for it in return, but at the end of the day there is still less overall in that particular structure. In the game of democracy, where the most votes matter, this is strictly the worst possible thing you can do. So is it necessarily narrativism's fault that they at least appear to be anti-democratic in nature? (This is where democracy is anti-narrativist.)

Granted, I know it's said that compaction cycles happen over and over, each cycle giving more baggage to be held both by people who remain and to people who were cast out. The outcasts might get on with their lives and join some other group or organization to form their social life, but they're still affected by the stress of the last compaction cycle and being on the losing end of it. This can generate a lot of negativity in the aggregate. It's a question to me now if a democratic system can necessarily survive that much negative feeling. (This is where narrativism is anti-democratic, or at least threatening to the social balance which democratic polities require.)

• Locked thread