Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
I'm using a fire a lot at the moment. I'm using the passive that adds fire weakness to everything on the map, fire cloak, flaming sword and piercing bolts. If you overcast flaming sword on a bunch of crossbowmen then they do 54% extra magical damage to regenerating units for half a minute and slaughter ghosts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The nice thing about the new White Dwarf is that it appears to be about GW stuff in all mediums. A couple pages about their games including some hyping up of coming DLC for Total War. I hadn't heard yet that Brettonia was going to be a free addon pack which was kind of surprising.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

They talked about Bretonnia being free before release I believe. But yeah, people are speculating they'll be packed with the wood elves DLC, which makes sense considering wood elves live in the huge forest in SE Bretonnia-land.

That said I am looking forward to wood elves. Free company are cool because they're melee-ranged hybrids, and I know wood elves have a lot of that. Guessing they also have higher speed than human infantry? Might be fun to have a relatively fragile army that relies heavily on kiting.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
I want war dancers to be awesome. If nothing else I want my LSD forest dance ninjas.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Nash posted:

I want war dancers to be awesome. If nothing else I want my LSD forest dance ninjas.

Too bad they'll probably be garbo units in the vein of flagellants / slayers

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Why must you say such mean things.......

I had the same sad thought actually.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Mukip posted:

I'm using a fire a lot at the moment. I'm using the passive that adds fire weakness to everything on the map, fire cloak, flaming sword and piercing bolts. If you overcast flaming sword on a bunch of crossbowmen then they do 54% extra magical damage to regenerating units for half a minute and slaughter ghosts.

Make sure to throw in Volkmar and the knights of the blazing sun.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The beastmen are amazing and are pretty much super orcs. They are a cross between chaos and orcs with the weaknesses of neither. I just wish khazrak wasn't limited into thrashing through brettonia. Why is that swamp between estalia and tilea impassable even via beast paths?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Arcsquad12 posted:

The beastmen are amazing and are pretty much super orcs. They are a cross between chaos and orcs with the weaknesses of neither. I just wish khazrak wasn't limited into thrashing through brettonia. Why is that swamp between estalia and tilea impassable even via beast paths?

It's full of Skaven, and Skaven made superplagues.

genghispawn
Aug 17, 2008
Stupid question time......

Can cannons fire over walls? Or at units attacking on the walls during siege. The AI seems to be really cannon heavy and I'd like to know whether it's worth it to send my flying Mannfred death squad to mess them up before taking the walls.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

genghispawn posted:

Can cannons fire over walls? Or at units attacking on the walls during siege. The AI seems to be really cannon heavy and I'd like to know whether it's worth it to send my flying Mannfred death squad to mess them up before taking the walls.

They can but they're unlikely to hit their targets. The flat fire trajectory of cannons makes them better for knocking out cannons. Mortar type weapons with high arch can sometimes deal damage past walls or on top of walls.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

genghispawn posted:

Cannons probably won't be able to arc over walls, but they can still fire on units on top of the walls themselves, which is actually pretty deadly. If you're going to be taking the walls instead of busting through the gate, sure, you may want to kill off the cannons if they have line of sight towards the walls.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
So playing chaos I'm awakening tribes and then declaring war on them and subjugating them to have them as vassals. But what keeps happening is every time I enter a new war (which happens pretty often since Chaos), they all refuse to join and go to war with me, even though they're all listed as "reliable" and have high relations with me. What's going on there?

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?
Matches between Muukip and me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFHiXtlgPRY

Recordings came out super, super choppy even by my standards and can't seem to get them better than this. Not really sure what's up with that.

I actually peg the first match slightly down to composition, two cannons and all of those crossbows was too big an investment into missile units against an orc comp since it let me have both the infantry advantage and enough cavalry to force him to defend his backline with cavalry which he didn't end up doing. While yes, if I wasn't stopping him from getting clean cycle charges, he may have won it with micro, if he had either the stronger melee infantry line or enough cavalry to stop me decisivily I would have had to keep my gobbo wolf riders on the defensive and that would have let the crossbows and cannons deal damage over the entire battle until his front line broke. In the second match, I wanted to take out his slightly superior infantry line because if I could it would come down to a match between my gorebulls against his knights and general and I can win that fight if we're both completely out of army. This time I didn't have much backline and he could have gotten better spread out rear charges, that may have killed my infantry fast enough to get him a win but I did have my eye on that and was keeping some skills from my gorebulls to keep their speed up and I had a little bit to prevent complete back line dominance.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

genghispawn posted:

Nah they can't fire over walls. They can, however, shoot at your dudes as they enter the gate and get 10-20 kills a shot (very annoying), shoot at your dudes as they run around inside, and shoot at the walls while your dudes are on top of the walls and take an unfortunate amount of preventable casualties.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

Can't you sail from Estalia to Tilea?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Cheshire Cat posted:

So playing chaos I'm awakening tribes and then declaring war on them and subjugating them to have them as vassals. But what keeps happening is every time I enter a new war (which happens pretty often since Chaos), they all refuse to join and go to war with me, even though they're all listed as "reliable" and have high relations with me. What's going on there?

CA made it so that awakaned and subjugated tribes (i.e. the only way to keep them under your leash) was impossible anymore.

now you have to awaken them and pray they maintain their friendship with you.

Gammymajams
Jan 30, 2016

Mans posted:

CA made it so that awakaned and subjugated tribes (i.e. the only way to keep them under your leash) was impossible anymore.

now you have to awaken them and pray they maintain their friendship with you.

Why the gently caress would they do that?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
They want to hype us up for the final expansion, which will make Chaos viable and threatening again.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Gammymajams posted:

Because people spent their Chaos games fighting the lovely marauder tribes to awaken and subjugate all of them and also complaining this is boring and poo poo (which it is). So now that is completely pointless, just go south and fight more interesting armies, gently caress those guys.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Gammymajams posted:

It was a general fix that boosted the size of diplomatic penalties for backstabbing (which attacking an awakened tribe that is allied and friendly to you counted as). In reviews of early versions people complained about being able to abuse the diplomacy system by ping-ponging between aligning with one side or the other of a conflict, getting bribe money each time. CA patched against that hard. There's, I think, no special-case code for Chaos, so, there you go.

Also it's a bit confusing but your reliability ratings are:

Steadfast
Dependable
Trustworthy
Untrustworthy
Unreliable

So if you are on 'trustworthy', your reliability is actually pretty low.

There isn't really that much point building vassals as Chaos. If you keep reliability up you can potentially make alliances with VC or Greenskins, which will be much more valuable to you.

genghispawn posted:

I will note that the exception is that cannons are very effective at sniping flying units from beyond walls.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Sep 19, 2016

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Theswarms posted:

Because people spent their Chaos games fighting the lovely marauder tribes to awaken and subjugate all of them and also complaining this is boring and poo poo (which it is). So now that is completely pointless, just go south and fight more interesting armies, gently caress those guys.

Just do this, you get a lot of brownie points kicking Kislevite rear end, so much that the tribes will probably end up liking you and asking for peace.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Double Bill posted:

Can't you sail from Estalia to Tilea?

Sailing is so irrelevant in this game that the thought never occurred to me.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fangz posted:

There isn't really that much point building vassals as Chaos. If you keep reliability up you can potentially make alliances with VC or Greenskins, which will be much more valuable to you.

Well it's less about having allies to help me fight and more about having places I can regenerate quickly without having to run all the way back to the chaos wastes. The main thing that's annoying is that if I JUST awaken them, I only get a military alliance with them, which leaves them free to declare wars on the other tribes, which they will inevitably do, thus forcing me to either break the alliance with them by declining the call to arms, or break the alliance with their target who I'd also awakened. I guess I can choose to just awaken one tribe only, but I've found that awakened tribes don't seem to like colonizing razed towns. So even if I leave the north totally open for the Baersongling by razing the Varg and Skaelings to extinction, they'll just sit there in the corner with their one town.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Burn the Varg, burn Kislev, befriend Skaeling.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think they should swap out the greenskin and chaos mechanics for hordes at least. Chaos taking attrition for having two armies in close proximity is stupid, but it would make much more sense for orcs, as that would represent infighting between waaaghs, and prevent you from rolling around the empire with twelve stacks close enough by to drown your enemies in green. Orcs should only stop infighting when an enemy is nearby, aka the battle map.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Well it's less about having allies to help me fight and more about having places I can regenerate quickly without having to run all the way back to the chaos wastes. The main thing that's annoying is that if I JUST awaken them, I only get a military alliance with them, which leaves them free to declare wars on the other tribes, which they will inevitably do, thus forcing me to either break the alliance with them by declining the call to arms, or break the alliance with their target who I'd also awakened. I guess I can choose to just awaken one tribe only, but I've found that awakened tribes don't seem to like colonizing razed towns. So even if I leave the north totally open for the Baersongling by razing the Varg and Skaelings to extinction, they'll just sit there in the corner with their one town.

If it's just about having places to regenerate, then who cares about breaking the alliance so long as you always side with the winner?

But realistically, spending dozens of turns in the North just to shorten your route to regenerate later on is an incredibly huge waste of your time. Generally speaking you're better off not replenishing at all and just recruiting new units. The upkeep will murder you otherwise.

Giving orcs infighting would absolutely gently caress the orcs. The difference between the two is that Chaos units are pound-for-pound really strong while orcs are relatively weak. What people don't seem to figure out about Chaos is that they are really special ops spearheads, out to specifically kill Karl, Louen, and maybe the Dwarves. And yeah, their economy benefits massively from having spread out armies that can hit a lot of cities.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 19, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Infighting attrition only affects them on the campaign map though. It would encourage you to march divided and keep raiding, converge to attack a target, and then disperse again

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
By the way... did anybody else randomly get a discount voucher for Atilla?

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Triggered
Aug 21, 2016

Learn about this great man on mormon.org
So I'm playing as empire and get attacked by a triple stack of vampire counts, my little yellow checkered bar is way up in my favor. I think if I had auto resolved I would have won but when I actually played it out I got absolutely slaughtered. Maybe I didn't play the battle right but they had a 2000+ troop advantage over me. Granted there was a lot of zombies but when you have Vlad, manfred and ghorst running up to your lvl6 lord I don't see how I could have won.

Basically why was my little yellow bar lying to me?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Infighting attrition only affects them on the campaign map though. It would encourage you to march divided and keep raiding, converge to attack a target, and then disperse again

That's exactly how Chaos plays if you know what you are doing. The problem with this and orcs is that you only control one half of the army, so your Waaaghs coming to reinforce you will always force you to take attrition. You also just don't get access to the one-turn recruitment options that Chaos gets, so attrition sucks a lot.

It doesn't really follow the lore either. The point of greenskins is that they get stronger the more of them there are. Whereas its Chaos that has issues with all their lords having their own goals and not really cooperating until there's a really epic battle.

Triggered posted:

So I'm playing as empire and get attacked by a triple stack of vampire counts, my little yellow checkered bar is way up in my favor. I think if I had auto resolved I would have won but when I actually played it out I got absolutely slaughtered. Maybe I didn't play the battle right but they had a 2000+ troop advantage over me. Granted there was a lot of zombies but when you have Vlad, manfred and ghorst running up to your lvl6 lord I don't see how I could have won.

If the bar is checkered, that means your commander is a doofus who isn't giving you the real odds.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Triggered posted:

Zombies count negatively for the auto-resolve because they are terrible troops and the calculator is considering them as giving an "army losses" morale debuff from being slaughtered.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Triggered posted:

Autoresolve lies really really badly. It disproportionately loves certain units and underrated others. Did you have a bunch of range units? Autoresolve loves ranged units

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Triggered posted:

Fighting VC is basically just a race to see if you can kill their lords before your infantry break from the overwhelming numbers of dead guys. Your infantry's job is to keep their swarms of chaff units at bay while a smaller portion of your army attempts to kill their lord(s). Your lord + 2 handgunner units should be enough to focus down each one relatively quick. Greatswords are useful too, and a cannon can severely weaken their generals/heroes as they cross the battlefield. Once their generals are dead, their units will suffer weak binding and flanking/rear attacks will cause them to crumble more or less instantly.

Keep in mind that even though I made it sound easy, 3 stacks vs 1 is always pretty drat tough unless you have an incredible veteran stack.

Triggered
Aug 21, 2016

Learn about this great man on mormon.org
Lol that explains a hell of a lot then, I am sure I have just auto resolved on them and won before.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SickZip posted:

Autoresolve lies really really badly. It disproportionately loves certain units and underrated others. Did you have a bunch of range units? Autoresolve loves ranged units

That does explain the weird auto-resolve odds I was getting as Beastmen when I was fighting ambush battles against empire armies that were like 50% artillery. Like, the bar said the odds were 90% in favour of the empire despite the actual battle playing out with the artillery not being able to fire a single shot before getting mobbed and the rest of the army crumbling with like a dozen casualties total on my side.

I guess auto-resolve assumes ranged units will be working at full capacity the whole battle, rather than what actually happens in practice where they either get rushed and overrun by cavalry or they simply can't get a good angle to fire on the enemy when the melee joins.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 19, 2016

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
I've said it before but it takes saying again; Auto resolve in recent TW is complete garbage, and does in no shape or form simulate how a real battle between the armies involved would play out, also its very stacked in favor of the player as the AIs difficulty modifiers are not calculated in it, same with any siege battle not counting towers etc for the defender.
Almost the only things I ever auto nowadays are the poo poo like 5-6 unit garrison and similar one sided boring battles like mopping up the remaining 5 or so mounted skirmishers/chariots that routed from a previous battle.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

I've just started using the better autoresolve mod and I think it's making things a little better? They bar itself still feels inaccurate to me at times.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dwarves are really cool.

you just develop new and hilarious ways to shoot giant projectils at endless hordes of orcs and undead.

i don't think i'll ever reach the point of recruiting the torpedo dudes though. are they even worth it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

DO IT TO IT posted:

I've just started using the better autoresolve mod and I think it's making things a little better? They bar itself still feels inaccurate to me at times.

I've been using the 100% AI auto buff mod for quite a while now, while it does not solve the problem it helps a lot in giving me awesome fights to actually play out and enjoy.

• Locked thread