Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
The Silver Shroud knows not of what you speak! *exits dramatically*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
honestly its just a bad game, that i have like 200 hours in. help

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

botany posted:

Bethesda.txt

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

How is the sarcastic tone of the female PC? The male VA is very WAY over the top with the sarcasm that he sounds drunk.

She's great.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

it's a fun game

I like both NV and FO4 a lot

I think the story was a bit better in NV and also Yes Man is my fav robo-waifu

I like the gunplay mechanics and density of stuff in FO4 a lot more

I also like FO3 a lot even though the ending was :what: personified because FAWKES who shared a lot of the same enthusiasms I do

the female VA is far, far superior as is often the case in games with VAs

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

botany posted:

I never played any of the other Fallouts so maybe that's why I like FO4 so much. But I also somehow managed to put in 30 hours into No Man Sky before I gave up, so maybe it's just me that's broken.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

TracerM17 posted:

I never played any of the other Fallouts so maybe that's why I like FO4 so much. But I also somehow managed to put in 30 hours into No Man Sky before I gave up, so maybe it's just me that's broken.

I played them all and this one is perfectly fine and good.

If FO2 was made nowadays with updated graphics and voice acting it would be much more poo poo upon by the people on the internet, but it is safe behind the rosy glasses of memory

I liked FO2, too

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

the side quests and DLCs are honestly written okay-ish to pretty good, it's just that when they're written to acknowledge each other or todd howard demands to work on the main quest is when the house of cards falls apart

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

What's the solution to explosions in Survival Mode? Especially Raiders with molotovs or missile launchers, sometimes I don't even realize what's going on until I see the red grenade sign flash next to me and then die.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

The answer to everything in survival is power armor. Get perks for core life and don't look back.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Danyull posted:

What's the solution to explosions in Survival Mode? Especially Raiders with molotovs or missile launchers, sometimes I don't even realize what's going on until I see the red grenade sign flash next to me and then die.

Hit V really fast and shoot them out of the air

More likely power armor

OR

and this is never really recommended but it's how I played through before I settled into my steel womb

do a shitload of psycho jet

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

The answer to every problem in survival is power armor 420 blaze it. Better living through engineering and applied biochemistry.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Epic High Five posted:

do a shitload of psycho jet

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

If you run out of psycho then you can just do regular jet.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

My breakup with Buzz Lightyear was swift and final, and happened exactly 0.0005 seconds after I saw the "Danse didn't like that..." message pop up after I got ripped on psycho jet and chopped a super mutant to pieces

I've got all the perks to extend it + biocomm mesh so my psycho jet rush lasts like a full minute now. It's incredible

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Danse is my forever bro. I may bromance him.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I wonder if Fallout would be better if Bethesda just tried to maintain a sense of cheeky surrealism the entire time. I feel like they fall down when they try to be serious and present serious issues.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

pmchem posted:

Is that a mod? Which one?

Just Nuka World.

You can get all these parts for your own robots, as well as space-themed protectron and sentrybot parts, and space lasers that make your robots white and gold and fire blue or red Star Wars blaster bolts, and your very own ambulatory Nuka Cola machine protectron and robot guns that fire explosive nuka quantum or cherry blasts.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

If you run out of psycho then you can just do regular jet.

Plus the Nerd Rage perk is essentially an emergency hit of Psychojet when you would most need it. Very handy.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Mendrian posted:

I wonder if Fallout would be better if Bethesda just tried to maintain a sense of cheeky surrealism the entire time. I feel like they fall down when they try to be serious and present serious issues.

I think there seriousness can work, it just needs to be surrounded by their old school sci-fi "serious" stuff instead of their cheeky stuff. It's why the dark brotherhood and thieves guild questlines in oblivion were so good.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
IMO the best the writing got in this game was Far Harbour, and that required very little in the way of SCIENCE! stuff to make it excellent.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Nasgate posted:

I think there seriousness can work, it just needs to be surrounded by their old school sci-fi "serious" stuff instead of their cheeky stuff. It's why the dark brotherhood and thieves guild questlines in oblivion were so good.

Well yeah but Skyrim has a very different tone than Fallout; Skyrim is an inherently unfunny setting which occasionally has a little humor to it. Then you have Vault Boy, who is sardonic scientific sadism incarnate.

By contrast if you tried to make Fallout more serious or even make elements of it more serious it would go grimdark really fast; one of the whole reasons Fallout works is because it deals with very depressing subject matter (end of the world, cruelty of humanity, downfall of civilization) through goofy goggles.

There's a reason everybody loves the Silver Shroud.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
A blend of seriousness and comedy can work, Saints Row 2 had some fairly heavy moments like the Death of Johnny Gat, it's just that when Bethesda tries to be serious they do incredibly bad stuff like making you walk through Kellog's poorly-written memories.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
And Fallout's tone should be sorta grim, the tone has always been black humor and not slapstick.

Unless you count the best game in the series Brotherhood of Steel

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I guess a better example of what i think they should shoot for is Old Money. At least for their main quests. Where the absurd is taken as a matter of fact by the game and its characters.
Like, an important ally is a schizophrenic super mutant who eats ghosts.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
If every quest had the tone of the silver shroud Fallout 4 would be a post apocalyptic comic book videogame and incredibly good, instead of good.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Danyull posted:

Against grenades: Always keep moving and try to avoid walls behind you.

Against missile launchers: Sneak and scout. Then send a companion to a safe distance from you and order them to shoot the rocketeer. Have a gun that can kill the enemy with a full AP bar's worth of VATS shots.

If you're in an interior, remember that explosives deal pain without prejudice, so set your own traps and goad enemies into tight spots.

You could just get power armor but I've never run with anything greater than light armor on my lvl 72 character and it's started to lose its challenge only recently.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Basic Chunnel posted:

I've never run with anything greater than light armor on my lvl 72 character and it's started to lose its challenge only recently.

That's surprising. For me that point was ~30.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Buschmaki posted:

And Fallout's tone should be sorta grim, the tone has always been black humor and not slapstick.

Unless you count the best game in the series Brotherhood of Steel

Black humor is fine.

What we get instead is super serial "which shade of gray is the grayest?" horseshit. Yes Man was black humor; he literally made a comedy out of which faction(s) you wanted to murder. Fallout 4 does that, except you don't have real choices and it isn't funny.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Buschmaki posted:

it's just that when Bethesda tries to be serious they do incredibly bad stuff like making you walk through Kellog's poorly-written memories.

Ugh. The memory den segment is my least favorite part of the game. Why would I possibly care about Kellogg's memories? It wasn't even interesting the first time I played, and I've done many many playthroughs since.

Zone into memory den, run past everyone to the bottom of the stairs, click on Doctor Amari to start the conversation, Valentine joins in even though he's not in the room, hit the down button a bunch of times to skip through the conversation, loot the room while Amari and Valentine do their thing, talk to Amari again, click on the chair.

Wait 2 minutes.

Now slowly make your way through the stupid memories, never stopping until you hit the end. Walk up to the tv. Wait about 5 minutes. Click on the tv.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Raiders don't like to garbage-farm. But is there any reason I shouldn't station robots in my outposts to do farming on-site?

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Orange Sunshine posted:

Ugh. The memory den segment is my least favorite part of the game. Why would I possibly care about Kellogg's memories? It wasn't even interesting the first time I played, and I've done many many playthroughs since.

Zone into memory den, run past everyone to the bottom of the stairs, click on Doctor Amari to start the conversation, Valentine joins in even though he's not in the room, hit the down button a bunch of times to skip through the conversation, loot the room while Amari and Valentine do their thing, talk to Amari again, click on the chair.

Wait 2 minutes.

Now slowly make your way through the stupid memories, never stopping until you hit the end. Walk up to the tv. Wait about 5 minutes. Click on the tv.

You can run through and skip the memories until the last one.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Raiders don't like to garbage-farm. But is there any reason I shouldn't station robots in my outposts to do farming on-site?

You'll still get the happiness penalty even if robots are doing the farming in your raider outpost.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Also you're a raider, get out there and tear some poo poo up.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

I liked the Kellogg's memory bit. Thought it was a nice cap to Act I.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Yeah, I'm a fan. It was kinda nice to see all the callbacks to the original games, and Kellogg is like the only non-companion with any kind of fleshed out backstory.

Plus I like his armor. I'm starting to realize that, when playing survival, having a full set of modded up combat armor or whatever still does dick next to power armor, so weighing myself down with all of that may not even be worthwhile next to the low weight of some of the generic outfits, so unless there's some amazing legendary bonus attached it might be more worthwhile to go the other way with it and just boost sneak early and rock the best looking outfits with decent defense (so basically Kellogg's outfit, the Shroud, the Minutemen coat and a bunch of ballistic weaved stuff).

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

HOLY poo poo! RedEye is voiced by Andrew WK!

https://bethesda.net/#en/events/game/fallout-4-nuka-worlds-redeye-interview-with-andrew-wk/2016/09/19/204

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I didn't like the memory den because it was dumb to set up Kellog as a weird parallel to you. It's also a terrible way to deliver his backstory because you know nothing about him and then a 30 minute cutscene basically happens where you learn his entire backstory as he slowly narrates it to you. Then an anime character walks in and comically teleports away ruining the emotional impact of the scene.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Buschmaki posted:

A blend of seriousness and comedy can work, Saints Row 2 had some fairly heavy moments like the Death of Johnny Gat, it's just that when Bethesda tries to be serious they do incredibly bad stuff like making you walk through Kellog's poorly-written memories.

Gat didn't die in #2.

Edit: I don't want to kill RedEye anymore but I do want to roam the Wastes in a White Tee & white linen pants.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pedialyte
Jul 27, 2003

"With the breakdown of the Medieval system, the gods of Chaos, Lunacy, and Bad Taste gained ascendancy." Ignatius was writing in one of his Big Chief tablets.
I'm assuming there is no way to get my PS4 save to my PC - is there any way to create a similar save? I am towards the end of the main campaign but have not touched the season pass content yet.

• Locked thread