Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

revmoo posted:

Yes this is exactly what I had in mind. Very nice. I'd buy one if it was available in the US.

Mayhew forges top notch US-made stuff, I've never gone wrong with any of their punches or cats paws

Enderes is another one of my favorites that comes to mind that that makes great pry bars, punches, and that kinda stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

wormil posted:

Eh, not really. The benefit of a tablesaw is precision, being able to duplicate parts easily. Plus tablesaws can do cove cutting, take dado blades, and make molding (although almost no one does that anymore). He asked for most versatile and the answer is tablesaw.

If the criteria was a tight budget or typical DIY stuff then I would recommend a circular saw. Miter saw if you are doing framing work. Jig saw for craft projects.

I 100% agree with this.

I think I messed up because I do have a tighter budget and tight room. My garage isn't very big and while a table saw can do a lot, I just don't know if I can keep a table saw out taking up a lot of room, and how much a passable quality one goes for.

The last time I have worked with wood was in middle school shop class and high school theater; I was pretty confident in my skills with the tools there, and was learning a lot in the year of building random hobby poo poo and sets. I am talking about building these things to build me confidence and have a "cheaper" way to build and maintain home goods and furniture.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
There are plenty of beginner videos on YT using minimal tools (e.g. Steve Ramsey). The 2 most useful minimal tools for building furniture will be a circ saw and drill. At times you will need to build jigs to extend the usefulness of those tools but with just those 2 you can build a lot of furniture. Every tool after that is to refine your work and make it better.

A miter saw does one thing, crosscutting, and that isn't enough for woodworking projects. Any electric saw that can rip, will also crosscut but not necessarily vice versa.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
The best finish carpenter I've known personally has about 40 years in the game and makes most of his custom cabinets with a Makita 5007 circ saw and an old harbor freight drill. Total tool cost isn't more than 200 bucks...like anything it's rarely the tool, right?

His jig and vice setups though...probably more than I make in a month.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
If anyone is looking for a decent pair of grinders, Amazon is doing 50% off on PorterCable stuff.
You can get 2 P-C 6Amp 4.5" Grinders for ~$30... If I didn't already have 4 or 5 grinders, I'd think about this.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=339401

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Amazon's Gold Box Deals include a few Irwin tools too.

https://www.amazon.com/b?rh=i%3Atools%2Cn%3A11920106011%2Cn%3A11920106011&ie=UTF8&node=11920106011

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

sharkytm posted:

If anyone is looking for a decent pair of grinders, Amazon is doing 50% off on PorterCable stuff.
You can get 2 P-C 6Amp 4.5" Grinders for ~$30... If I didn't already have 4 or 5 grinders, I'd think about this.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=339401

Works on the 7amp one too! 2 delivered for 41 bucks. I'll try to unload one on craigslist and subsidize the one I'll keep.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

0toShifty posted:

I have assembled a device. An impact rated 1/2" drive #3 Phillips bit on a Wivco Shake-n-break in the air hammer.

Shifty, where did you get the impact Philips bit? I normally do this with a bunch of random adapters and sockets and lovely DeWalt Philips bits on an impact gun, but I hope a better Philips bit without an adapter would work better.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Cordless brushless tools are getting downright tiny. The weight on these tools center right on your trigger finger...even with a 6AH batt.

The 2AH feels like you are barely holding a tool. These should hit market in 2 weeks.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

PitViper posted:

Shifty, where did you get the impact Philips bit? I normally do this with a bunch of random adapters and sockets and lovely DeWalt Philips bits on an impact gun, but I hope a better Philips bit without an adapter would work better.

The 1/2" drive impact rated #3 phillips bit is a bit of a unicorn. It's a Genius Tools 4460R03. I ordered it off that company's website. it took forever to arrive, but it was wonderful when it did.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

No, I want one with an integrated impact driver so you dont need to stick a wrench on it and turn..

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

revmoo posted:

No, I want one with an integrated impact driver so you dont need to stick a wrench on it and turn..

So what you want is the wivco shake and brake. I would post a link but I'm phone posting. Its on Amazon for 40.00 and we'll worth it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

SouthsideSaint posted:

So what you want is the wivco shake and brake. I would post a link but I'm phone posting. Its on Amazon for 40.00 and we'll worth it.

Gotcha covered: https://www.amazon.com/Shake-Break-Impact-Screw-Remover/dp/B000BHJ7JM

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Mcqueen posted:

Cordless brushless tools are getting downright tiny. The weight on these tools center right on your trigger finger...even with a 6AH batt.

The 2AH feels like you are barely holding a tool. These should hit market in 2 weeks.

Wait, Makita 6Ah batteries you say? Go on...

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Thank you sir.

In tool news I need a good set of line wrenches. The tool pimp for my work is pushing his hookers I mean wrenches on me. I've been looking at the gearwrench flex head ones. Does anyone here have any experience with them or should I just sink further into strap-on debt?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I don't have the flex head, but my GearWrench metric ratcheting wrenches are the poo poo. Granted, I'm not a daily mechanic or anything, but for medium usage for 3 years they've held up great and still look/feel new.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

CloFan posted:

I don't have the flex head, but my GearWrench metric ratcheting wrenches are the poo poo. Granted, I'm not a daily mechanic or anything, but for medium usage for 3 years they've held up great and still look/feel new.

So has my set. Im just worried about the flex set needing a dose of cialas after a month or two of use.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

CloFan posted:

Gear wrench is owned by Matco and ive learned that the wrenches have been pretty much identical except the price rape. Super happy with my racheting x flex sex set.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

bolind posted:

Wait, Makita 6Ah batteries you say? Go on...

They are hella expensive...take forever to charge. But you can run a cordless led drop light for like 2 days straight haha.

4ah are still my faves. Good price and last a good while

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

SouthsideSaint posted:

Thank you sir.

In tool news I need a good set of line wrenches. The tool pimp for my work is pushing his hookers I mean wrenches on me. I've been looking at the gearwrench flex head ones. Does anyone here have any experience with them or should I just sink further into strap-on debt?

I assume you mean for hydraulic/power steering/brake lines? If so then no joke get the Knipex plier wrenches. I work on hydraulics daily and 99% of the time they are my go-to wrench for disconnecting them. Even for small fittings, or times when you need to be at an angle, they grab the nut tight enough that even if the last guy partially stripped it it still comes off.

http://www.knipex.com/index.php?id=1216&page=group_detail&groupID=1500

All of the Snap-on guys around here carry them, and for a better price than I've seen them in actual stores.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Mcqueen posted:

Do you know where I could pick some up in two weeks? I've been super close to pulling the trigger on a Makita drill/driver set to replace my all-but-dead Ryobi everything for about a month now.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Safety Dance posted:

Do you know where I could pick some up in two weeks? I've been super close to pulling the trigger on a Makita drill/driver set to replace my all-but-dead Ryobi everything for about a month now.

Where are you at? I'll ask my rep.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Mcqueen posted:

Where are you at? I'll ask my rep.

Chicago, and I appreciate it!

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Not saying you shouldn't get 6AH batteries but they're probably massive overkill for hobby stuff. I got the Makita brushed 1/2 drill and brushed 1/4 driver combo with a pair of 3AH batteries and I charge them every month or two when I remember to. I think I've run the impact driver low like twice and swapped in the other battery to finish whatever I was doing.

I got a Makita 36v string trimmer recently and it's pretty awesome. It's the first string trimmer I haven't wanted to throw in a dumpster and then set on fire so the bar wasn't set very high but I actually kinda enjoy trimming now.

Galler fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 19, 2016

Unsane
Jul 16, 2003

SouthsideSaint posted:

Thank you sir.

I've used both and the gearwrench ones open up a lot easier then the snap-on. I think they're worth it.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I have several sets, and the cheap ones suck. I had a set of gear wrench, but traded them. They certainly aren't as strong as Snap On/Mac, so if you're in the rust belt, I'd go with a truck brand.

Currently, I've got a set of full polish S-K's, which are awesome, and a set of mixed Matco, Mac, and Snap On crows foot. That covers my needs just fine, although flex might come in handy sometimes. Usually though, the crows foot does the trick. Like on the transverse line on Chevy truck ABS pumps... gently caress those.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
I find myself in sudden need of an impact driver. For my birthday, I was given one of the Milwaukee M12 drills, so I already have the charging pack and two batteries, so I was curious as to whether this is worth it or whether I should upgrade to the M18 or some such. I'm also hoping that someone can clear-up that 1/4" stuff. Does that mean that the driver can only handle 1/4" sockets? That doesn't make sense. Are they just referring to the chuck size? I have a 1/4" to 1/2" socket adapter for the drill I mentioned so would I just stick that in the end of the impact driver and carry on?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

scuz posted:

I find myself in sudden need of an impact driver. For my birthday, I was given one of the Milwaukee M12 drills, so I already have the charging pack and two batteries, so I was curious as to whether this is worth it or whether I should upgrade to the M18 or some such. I'm also hoping that someone can clear-up that 1/4" stuff. Does that mean that the driver can only handle 1/4" sockets? That doesn't make sense. Are they just referring to the chuck size? I have a 1/4" to 1/2" socket adapter for the drill I mentioned so would I just stick that in the end of the impact driver and carry on?

It'll be torquey enough for most small tasks (marketing wank say 1000 in*lb, which is about 83ft*lb. Figure about 3/4 of that in reality). It'll take standard 1/4" drive bits like these:

Something like this will let you use all your 3/8" drive sockets with that tool: https://www.milwaukeetool.com/accessories/fastening/48-32-5031

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
You could. It just would be more likely to brake then a dedicated 3/8 or 1/2 one. I use a makita with those 1/4 to whatever socket size you need. It works fine for small things. But if this is for turbo Tim's invest in a few air tools. Namely 1/2 impact gun and 3/8 air ratchet. Harbor freight has a decent one of both.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the advice, dudes. Yeah, this would be for part-time shop work at Turbo Tim's so I'll probably pony-up and get the air stuff since the cost is pretty much the same.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Mcqueen posted:

This must be why I got my last-years Brushless Drill/Driver with 4.0 batteries for $189 on clearance.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
A 12V 1/4" impact is perfect for disassembling/reassembling car interiors, I used a Makita one at work for years. But if you have access to air I wouldn't bother.

Get a heated Milwaukee hoodie instead :haw:

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

A 12V 1/4" impact is perfect for disassembling/reassembling car interiors, I used a Makita one at work for years. But if you have access to air I wouldn't bother.

Get a heated Milwaukee hoodie instead :haw:

Where scuz lives this is definitely the best option.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Safety Dance posted:

Chicago, and I appreciate it!

Dude says HD will start carrying it next week.

Sorry I don't have a cooler source, I'm in Seattle...

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Mcqueen posted:

Dude says HD will start carrying it next week.

Sorry I don't have a cooler source, I'm in Seattle...

That's A-OK. I'll start hitting up my local Home Depot. Thanks!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Cheap heat gun: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200641711_200641711

Code 248527 takes it down to $10 with free shipping.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I bought two after not being able to find a heat gun last night! Awesome!

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

click clack POW, officer down
Hi I'm tactical sandals and i just spent way too much on a ratchet I really don't need! I don't know if this is just a super common promo they do but KC Tools is running a sale on a bunch of German tools, picked up a Wera Zyklop 3/8" ratchet for $38, Amazon was around $56 earlier... There's also an ongoing 10% off for Garage Journal users with promo code thanks2GJ, and free shipping over $50. So go buy some fancy fuckin screwdrivers or something!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
so is the 21 gal upright compressor from HF a piece of poo poo? good enough for occasional use? i have a shed just outside of my garage where i can run it and not have to listen to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
My dad runs some 30 year old compressor and a $100 harbor freight in duo when he needed higher volume. They seem ok if the specs meet what you need.