Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Terper posted:

Thanks I knew you were my fourth favorite ex mod for a reason

he's one of my two least favorite ex mod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Streaming right now

http://www.hitbox.tv/SexFerguson

Kurtofan posted:

he's one of my two least favorite ex mod

Wow way to hurt my feelings

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Huh, I guess Navarre just threw me off and I didn't expect Flynn to sound like that. Glad I was wrong. And I did get a better set of headphones in the meantime so that might have contributed too.

EDIT: Actually I think they changed Nozomi too, it's blatantly Karen Strassman now.

HGH fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 18, 2016

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
shouldn't have probied me

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I hope haru is cute and good

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
YOU CAN CANCEL A NEGOTIATION INTO AN ALL OUT ATTACK

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Baal posted:

gently caress THIS, JUMP HIM!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Baal posted:

wait what

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

wait what

If a negotiation is going badly you can just go "gently caress it" and kill them instead if you don't push it.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Okay I didn't like the idea of having negotiation in Persona, but this I kind of like

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I thought that was old information.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
My man Ganesha isn't givin' us the goods, gently caress him up boys

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tired Moritz posted:

I thought that was old information.

I had never heard this mentioned during interviews and stuff so I had no idea.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Kurtofan posted:

Flynn is voiced by REO Speedwagon

And also by Eric, unfortunately.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Arbite posted:

So do the Phantom Thieves ever actually steal money for themselves or are they like those ninjas who don't assassinate anyone and the pirates who don't plunder?

The relationship between the Palaces and reality is hazy, but the goodies you find within can be taken out, which naturally means you can sell it.

That applies to regular loot in some cases and other cases... other things.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The second Palace is absolutely easier than the first in terms of resources but part of that is that it makes you back out multiple times. Technically I "one-day" cleared it but you're obligated to spend multiple days clear it but each refresh comes with full SP. I obviously can't say how the difficulty scales but I'm wondering if Hard might be the way to go if you're experienced.

Edit:

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 19, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The tale of taking kitty to the gym:

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
NO MUSCLE
NO LIFE

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
I like how Atlus realized how much of a goof up Teddie was as mascot material and they have gone out of their way to make Morgana better than him in every conceivable way

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I bought a Persona 5 issue of the Persona magazine and it seems to have a lot of information in Japanese like interviews and such. Like... 80 pages worth. Any interest in crappy phone pics of this thing

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Goro might beat out Naoto as the latest party member because I'm seeing an average time of like 50 hours before they get Haru.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

Goro might beat out Naoto as the latest party member because I'm seeing an average time of like 50 hours before they get Haru.

This game has to be loving absurdly long unless the later stuff is way shorter. I'm at ~15 hours and in month 3.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I bought a Persona 5 issue of the Persona magazine and it seems to have a lot of information in Japanese like interviews and such. Like... 80 pages worth. Any interest in crappy phone pics of this thing

How many of those pages have Joker hanging out with his cat?

Tae posted:

50 hours for Haru would have her beat out Naoto as well, right? I swear I finished P4 with like a 65-70 hour play time.

This sounds like a crazy long game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I see a couple vet streamers for jrpgs have about 40-50 by november, with the assumption that they're skipping a couple co-operation links because the schedule isn't FAQed yet.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

This game has to be loving absurdly long unless the later stuff is way shorter. I'm at ~15 hours and in month 3.

I'm glad that Atlus taking a billion years to make this means it's packed with stuff

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

This game seems like it'll be localization hell, between what vague gleanings I've got of the plot, the incredibly stylized menus which will need to be translated (I bet way too much of this stuff is in image files like that EX Troopers game) and the sheer volume of content. I can definitely understand why it's gonna take us an extra 5 months to get it.

I don't LIKE it, but I get it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Atlus having their own localization team really helps streamline a lot of that stuff.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
I plugged 80 hours into persona 3 doing an absurd amount of grinding to get some jacked personas and battling death a few times to mess with them before fighting nyx (and dying one turn before the final hit having to restart the whole hour long battle over) and that was probably one of my favorite games ever. If this ends up being 100+ hours I may never play anything else ever again

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The bosses in P5 are still silly looking as hell

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also this has the best teacher in the series and this game is outrageously Japanese, I love it

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Tae posted:

I see a couple vet streamers for jrpgs have about 40-50 by november, with the assumption that they're skipping a couple co-operation links because the schedule isn't FAQed yet.

November is pretty late in the game if it follows the same progression as 3 and 4, but maybe they don't do the time skip between New Year's and March this time? I think my first playthrough of P4 was about 80 hours, I don't think I did absolutely everything that time but I wasn't rushing through it either. My completionist playthrough was almost exactly 100 hours.

Also I saw someone mention the Reaper is still there? Is his design the same?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Man I dunno how I feel about SMT:4's method of story telling.

Like it's interesting and I wanna learn what happened to the world but it feels like it's padded to hell and back just for the sake of padding. I got to the Black Samurai coming back to life and loving off and figured "oh man the story is picking up!" only to spend the next like 15 hours it feels punching random monks in the head and babysitting a candle.

I'm currently at the part where I take Liliths side because I'm a Good Person so the plot is finally actually happening I think but I'm curious to how far into the game I'm at. I assume like 50% but y'never know with these RPGs.

Is Apocalypse any better when it comes to pacing? I'm having enough fun with the game part- just kinda left wishing that the story wasn't ignored as much.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Grozz Nuy posted:

November is pretty late in the game if it follows the same progression as 3 and 4, but maybe they don't do the time skip between New Year's and March this time? I think my first playthrough of P4 was about 80 hours, I don't think I did absolutely everything that time but I wasn't rushing through it either. My completionist playthrough was almost exactly 100 hours.

Also I saw someone mention the Reaper is still there? Is his design the same?

Yes

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Early Persona 5 players, how is the price of stuff in Hard mode?
The fact that Hard mode always seems to make equipment really expensive and necessitates grinding for money was always a big detractor for me in playing SMT hard mode.
Mostly thinking of Magatama prices in Nocturne Hard

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't think anyone here's touched hard mode, yet. Sorry.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Also just in case anyone was looking for excuses to argue about timelines.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Hello Persona fans. My name is Yoko Taro. I can already hear some of you saying “Who the hell is that guy?”, so I think I should introduce myself to you. I'm a game director. There's this game called “NieR Automata” from Square Enix that I'm working on and it's coming out early next year. It's target audience overlaps totally with Persona's, so I think we really dodged a bullet when they delayed NieR Automata.

Well, when I was playing Persona 5 I kept thinking how awesome everything was: The menus, the battles, the characters – everything was stylish and awesome! But you've probably heard about that already from other people, so I'm going to write about the other things I found noteworthy to provide a different perspective.

The first thing that caught my attention was the darkness of the town. It's really dark, as if someone reduced the saturation and brightness of the colors by 50% in Photoshop. That's how bleak this place is. The teachers aren't your friends and that leaves a bitter taste. It's the kind of melancholic environment that makes you think “That's just like my own experience of high school!”! However, what really stuck out to me were the bent backs of the NPC business men – that was great! Whoever came up with that idea is a genius.

Then of course there is the Shibuya Station. If you've ever been there before, I think you'll understand what I mean when I say that trying to navigate this place is a nightmare. If you a new planner at a video game studio created a level like this, they'd probably get slapped... Or at least, that's what I always thought, but it is a perfect recreation of the real thing. It's fascinating.

Yongenjaya is also nice. If you leave Atlus's headquarters, there's a street that looks similar to that place. Maybe I was just imagining things.

Subtly changing the names of real places like this* adds a nice touch to the game. It's an interesting way to express that adults are also kind of trapped. From a meta perspective, that was very enjoyable.

Until next time.

*Yongenjaya is based on Sangenjaya.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

ImpAtom posted:

Also just in case anyone was looking for excuses to argue about timelines.

I didn't play much of the fighting games, but didn't Rise go back to her idol career after the events of P4?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
glad to see Rise is trying a different sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i can say from firsthand experience that any game set in shibuya that isn't a pain in the rear end to navigate is unrealistic, so that's a good review. Thanks, Yoko Taro.